Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2878954 - 09/13/17 04:20 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: RABid]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I have sympathy—and even some empathy—for your position, Robert; but I take exception to your last sentence. There are still good reasons to choose Apple over other options other than blind loyalty.

As for me, I have yet to hit a wall with my 16 GB MacBook Pro and Akito Thunderbolt Quad enclosure (with room for four drives of storage, be it HD or SSD). I'm getting lots of work done with a platform I'm more than comfortable with, so I have zero motivation to switch.

Furthermore, privacy has become much more important to me; and I don't trust Microsoft's latest OS in that regard. There are legitimate reasons to choose Apple over the competition for some of us.

Of course, YMMV; but that's my point. While data may be black and white, users' experiences and needs will vary.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

KC Island
#2878963 - 09/13/17 05:42 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Geoff Grace]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
I get the strong sense that Cook and the other execs at Apple would love to see the Mac line and OSX go the way of the iPod. Cook's remarks regarding the iPad Pro being a replacement for a notebook/desktop clearly exemplifies this thinking. With OSX/Macs Apple is 5-6% of the market while in mobile iOS they are a dominant player. The Macs have provided steady revenue while the iPad has had several years of declining sales. Still, they are regularly updating the iPad.

2012, one year after Jobs' death, is the last year that Macs were updated on a regular basis, when user-upgradability was standard and products weren't intentionally compromised. After that, things demonstrably changed. In most cases I would recommend people search CL for 2012 models, especially Mac Pro, iMac and Mac Mini.

I think they will appease the Mac crowd for a while, then fall back into a pattern of inconsistent updates, with the hope that more and more will transition to mobile/iOS. You can point to the iMac Pro and promise of a better Mac Pro as evidence to the contrary, but I see both these are reactionary, not something planned (hence the long delay between announcement and delivery). Once the bitching got loud enough, they reacted. Maybe the next time the user base won't be so lucky. Macs relatively stagnant sales represent an ever smaller % of revenue and profit.

These execs didn't start out building computers in their garages. It's not part of their DNA.

Busch.

#2878988 - 09/13/17 06:44 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: burningbusch]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
I guess it's a matter of where the future is taking us. Are desktop OS's and hardware really fading from pro/media/content creator's workflow? You can do art and layout work, shoot and edit video, create music, etc. with iOS devices. And maybe the younger generation of creative professionals growing up with these types of devices have a different workflow and prefer them. However, for grunt work (especially video... especially 4k video) a different class of processors and access to large storage, large amounts of RAM is still important - at least today. But our perspective is warped by our experiences - so it's perhaps more difficult for us to imagine how these things will play out.

For now, we're not going to run Omnisphere/Keyscape and the like on today's iOS devices. But I'm not sure how far out we are from that not being the case. They are having break throughs in quantum computing all the time now. I don't know how much longer processing power, RAM and storage are going to be a problem for mass market computing devices.

#2878997 - 09/13/17 07:54 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
I guess it's a matter of where the future is taking us. Are desktop OS's and hardware really fading from pro/media/content creator's workflow? You can do art and layout work, shoot and edit video, create music, etc. with iOS devices. And maybe the younger generation of creative professionals growing up with these types of devices have a different workflow and prefer them. However, for grunt work (especially video... especially 4k video) a different class of processors and access to large storage, large amounts of RAM is still important - at least today. But our perspective is warped by our experiences - so it's perhaps more difficult for us to imagine how these things will play out.

For now, we're not going to run Omnisphere/Keyscape and the like on today's iOS devices. But I'm not sure how far out we are from that not being the case. They are having break throughs in quantum computing all the time now. I don't know how much longer processing power, RAM and storage are going to be a problem for mass market computing devices.

Well I don't believe mobile is the future for everything. The great advantage of mobile is availability, but that almost always comes with compromise, often significant compromise. Touch for input and the small screen for output is a huge disadvantage for many tasks and processing power isn't going to fix that.

Busch.

#2879002 - 09/13/17 08:15 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: burningbusch]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm thinking same device that is with you all the time for capture and field work comes home and attaches to any input device(s) and mirrors and/or extends your desktop to any size monitor. People already do this tablets like the iPad - adding a keyboard and monitor, piano keyboard, audio interface, etc.

I also came across this Windows 10 PC the other day. In this case it runs the desktop OS on a miniature motherboard with touchscreen interface when mobile. But it has every port you can think of and when you get to your office, you just hook it up to your monitor, keyboard, additional storage, etc. etc.

I remember when hard drives became large and portable, carrying it with you everywhere and booting off it at home or in the office became a possibility. Having your OS, your desktop, your software, your configurations, your data, etc with you all the time. But cloud storage and browser based apps seems to have surpassed that paradigm.

However, with continued miniaturization of more and more powerful hardware... you have the option of having the whole computer in the palm of your hand with enough horsepower to do pro work everywhere. Maybe that's where it's going.

#2879013 - 09/13/17 08:44 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sure, I do that with my Surface Pro. Remember though Windows tablets allow mouse/trackpad input in addition to touch and pen while iOS does not. I can easily add many TBs of storage, external monitors and any imaginable I/O. Apple doesn't seem to share that vision with its iOS devices.

But in end is all this worth it? Is portability that big a deal for the tasks many pro users use their desktops for today? I have my doubts.

Busch.

#2879020 - 09/13/17 09:34 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: burningbusch]
Michael W Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, IL
I've had a 6+ for 2.5 years and am looking forward to getting an 8 with 256. Wireless and processor speeds should be much, much faster with the newer model, plus wireless charging.

I am pretty much cool with everything my iPhone 6+ can do now. But I want the 8, and not the 8+, because I really want a narrower phone. I understand that I may not get the portrait and wide-angle photo features, but that's okay.

I just want a faster device, with faster connectivity, and more storage.

#2879048 - 09/14/17 02:39 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia

However, with continued miniaturization of more and more powerful hardware... you have the option of having the whole computer in the palm of your hand with enough horsepower to do pro work everywhere. Maybe that's where it's going.

We have been there for 2 years, check out the HP Elite X3 Win 10 phone.

Based on the 5 years it took Apple to adopt Qi charging I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for Apple to ditch MacOS.

#2879076 - 09/14/17 05:10 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Markay]
BuckW Offline

I get offering more than one. Some like big, some hate it. Also if a customer is considering several phones, Apple is more likely to win if it has more than one on the short list.

Regarding facial recognition what happens if you are bleeding out in shock or having a heart attack? No 911 for you. Also forget about once in a lifetime photo journalism. Officer, would you mind shooting my significant other again, my phone didn't recognize my horrified face.

#2879081 - 09/14/17 05:19 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: BuckW]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: BuckW
Regarding facial recognition

The face ID fail was the employee's fault (of course). Apple shifts the blame:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41266216

#2879101 - 09/14/17 06:58 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Synthoid]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Facial recognition is optional, you can also key in your passcode, just like the guy did when it Face failed at the launch.

But if the reason it failed at the launch was because the phone was handled by other people in the launch setup and was trying to scan their faces then I can see a lot of party tricks coming when someone surreptitiously takes an X and scans in some else's face.

#2879126 - 09/14/17 08:01 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Synthoid]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

LOL.
Such drama.
He picked up the back up and moved on.
Mission accomplished.
Then he why back and used facial rec repeatedly.

At least we know it was a real demo and not pre-recorded trickery to avoid the risk of live demo. I'm guessing as musicians we can appreciate a live show? Unless we're tracking everything, vocals and all. Has it come to that? wink

#2879133 - 09/14/17 08:11 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The fail explanation makes sense.

When I saw the face mask thing I immediately thought of this episode from Silicon Valley where Richard is thinking of jumping ship and he gets to experience the company's rad new technology.

Busch.

#2879386 - 09/15/17 06:09 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: burningbusch]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Apple Watch Series 3 has me gassin'. I'd love to just take my watch for my runs yet still be connected so I can get messages, calls, etc., if I need to, have the GPS tracking (the Series 2 has this but my "Series 0" does not), and most of all, be able to stream Apple Music. The music syncing in watchOS 4 is pretty cool, but having all of Apple Music available is obviously better. I'm NOT happy about $10/month to the carriers, though. I'd be okay with $5, but really, I bet the amount of data I'd be using on the Series 3 isn't much.

I'd also love to be able to leave my iPhone in my glove compartment while I go into restaurants, shop, etc. The only time I'd miss the iPhone is if I want to take a photo or generally surf while I'm killing time. For the latter, I'd bring it with me but I don't need it if I'm with people. Oh yeah, I guess I'd bring the iPhone with me if I might want to compare prices or features online.

#2879387 - 09/15/17 06:16 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Joe Muscara]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I don't like the direction of the latest macbook pro (my wife has one)....hate the keyboard, trackpad and virtual keys, to the point where I actually have trouble using it. The darn thing is too thin honestly, making it hard to pick up and open...it's a power machine, or should be! At least it still has a headphone jack. As silly as it sounds, this is the thing about the iphone 7 and up that angers me...I use my iphone a lot as a music/book player and I don't want to have to use bluetooth. I probably will switch to android for my next phone.

#2879394 - 09/15/17 06:38 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Stokely]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Stokely
As silly as it sounds, this is the thing about the iphone 7 and up that angers me...I use my iphone a lot as a music/book player and I don't want to have to use bluetooth. I probably will switch to android for my next phone.

#2879395 - 09/15/17 06:47 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Synthoid]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

I got the AirPods in January and I love them. I just got a new iMac this week and my wife used her edu discount (she works for MD Anderson Cancer Center, which is part of the University of Texas) and Apple currently has a deal where you can get a free pair of Beats. She already has BeatsX, so we got the beats solo 3. I'm not in love with the fit as I prefer the over the ear headphones like we use in studio work, but they're not bad.

I haven't plugged in headphones to my iPhone nor iPad since I got the AirPods. Now with this new iMac, I probably won't plug in there either, unless I want to do some mixing with the HD280s or ATs I have.

Wireless headphones/earphones are cool and work great.

#2879467 - 09/15/17 11:44 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Joe Muscara]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

Until you lose them I guess.

#2879503 - 09/15/17 01:57 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA

At least we know it was a real demo and not pre-recorded trickery to avoid the risk of live demo. I'm guessing as musicians we can appreciate a live show? Unless we're tracking everything, vocals and all. Has it come to that? wink

I am still trying to determine which I like better.

I have a lot of regard for those musicians who can play without a (safety) net. So many talented musicians do both, and do them well.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Using tracks works well here and I like the choreography. This band does quite a few medleys and they're all tracked. This helps with consistency, and I also believe the audience doesn't care one way or another as they stay engaged.

KLONK for YouTube

We're getting off-topic. We should start a new thread if this discussion goes any further, I think.

Tom

#2879522 - 09/15/17 03:58 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Synthoid]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Or until people start getting ear cancer from wearing wireless earbuds all day.

#2879524 - 09/15/17 03:59 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Stokely]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Stokely
... I probably will switch to android for my next phone.

I picked up a Galaxy 8 Note this morning, along with the watch and VR headset. Gonna take me a while to get used to a different OS.

#2879551 - 09/15/17 07:11 PM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: RABid]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: RABid
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Or until people start getting ear cancer from wearing wireless earbuds all day.
LOL - the AirPods are the only ones that are small enough for that (beats X and beats solo 3 aren't small) and there's "Find My Phone" though I realize that won't work in all situations.

Have people started getting hip cancer from having their phone in their pockets all day?

#2879612 - 09/16/17 05:04 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Joe Muscara]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Have people started getting hip cancer from having their phone in their pockets all day?

Two hips but no hurray? crazy

#2879614 - 09/16/17 05:25 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Synthoid]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tool early to say. Studies if even being done can take 15, 20, 25 years to establish a causal relationship. How many hours per day is the phone in the pocket vs. in the hands vs. against the skull. Then there's the variation in millimeters - distance from the body. Is the phone in a case? How thick is the case and what is it made of? What is the phone itself is made pig of and how thick, what type of processors, what frequencies are present - Wi-Fi, 4G, Bluetooth, etc. How healthy is the user, and pre existing susceptibility to cancer. etc.

#2879616 - 09/16/17 05:30 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What is the phone itself made pig and how thick,

#2879622 - 09/16/17 05:56 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: Synthoid]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know I wish it wasn't true - but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Studies Linking Cell Phone Use to Cancer

The most recent results are from around May of 2016. Consumer Reports did a nice job of putting it into plain-speak.
Consumer Reports Article

Here's their advice.

*Try to keep the cell phone away from your head and body. Keeping it an arm’s distance away significantly reduces exposure to the low-level radiation it emits. This is particularly important when the cellular signal is weak—when your phone has only one bar, for example—because phones may increase their power then to compensate.

*Text or video call when possible, because this allows you to hold the phone farther from your body.

* When speaking, use the speakerphone on your device or a hands-free headset.
Don’t stow your phone in your pants or shirt pocket. Instead, carry it in a bag or use a belt clip.

Has to make you think twice about all day wearables like the watch.

Don't forget the rest of this heart healthy breakfast! coffee

On the up side, there have been some great cancer break throughs the last few years. The only problem is we need access to 100s of thousands of dollars to have them done for us.
Cost of Immunotherapy Treatment for Cancer

#2879674 - 09/16/17 11:41 AM Re: Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch 3 [Re: RABid]
JoJoB3 Offline

iCrap

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner