Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2878444 - 09/11/17 01:41 PM Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing.
CEB Offline
10k Club

What are some keyboards you had high expectations but were thoroughly disappointed?

Here are some of mine:

1) The Roland D70. I first saw it on the showroom floor I was stoked. I expected a possibly improved D-50 with 76 keys and more polyphony. It didn't sound anything like the D-50. It sucked. It was mediocre rompler. I liked my Casios better than that thing. Maybe my expectations were just too high.

2) Korg DS-8. This came out about the same time as the D-50. It was an FM synth. I think Yamaha had bought Korg and loaned them DX FM technology. At the time I was a Casio synth player. I seemed like I was the only one. Keyboardist in the Silver Bullet band played a CZ-5000. I had a CZ-1000 (same as a CZ-101 with full size keys) and in 86 or so I got the CZ-1. At the time I played a TX-7 and had some programming software but I couldn't get the hang of programming FM. I bought a bunch of patches on cassette tape. I liked the Casio because it sounded a lot like FM but the architecture was laid out like a normal synth and I could program the CZs. This was what I wanted out of the DS-8. An Actually FM synth that was laid out like typical synth architecture. The keyboard was terrible. The action was terrible. The key travel was funny. The DW8000 was 10 times the synth the DS-8 was. It flopped. Korg only made it the one year.

"I wish windshield wipers had tap tempo" Gavin Hage

KC Island
#2878447 - 09/11/17 01:45 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: CEB]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Original Quadrasynth. Expectations for that thing were off the hook given Alesis' previous successes. Boy, did that thing suck. eek

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Roswell Pro Audio • TK Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2878449 - 09/11/17 02:02 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Dave Bryce]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
I also got sucked in on the D70. I liked the D50 sound so I figured this had to be even better. I had a connection at Roland and got it before it was in the stores without playing it first. It sounded nothing like a D50 and I couldn't see any other reason to keep it. I sold it the next week and got all my money back.

#2878454 - 09/11/17 03:07 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Shamanzarek]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Yamaha V50. I was so excited for the next step up in fm synthesis only to be let down by less operators (4) and continued 16 voice polyphony. I remember hearing about it from someone at Goodman Music right before its official announcement. For weeks every time I passed by the Yamaha building (I lived close by) I' d practically start salivating.

#2878456 - 09/11/17 03:11 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Shamanzarek]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Yamaha DX7 that clangorous FM sound never appealed to me, and the 2 or 3 patches that did sound OK were overused to death. Want to tweak the patches so they don't suck? Not with that user hostile interface.

Even today I cringe when I hear a song with a clangorous FM sound.

Nice keyboard action though.

#2878457 - 09/11/17 03:15 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
Bucktunes Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Quincy, Illinois,UNITED STATES
M Audio Venom. razz After all the hype about it, I expected it to be a pretty cool, inexpensive synth. I played one for about 2 or 3 minutes and lost interest. It just sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me. sick

#2878458 - 09/11/17 03:15 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Yamaha DX7 that clangorous FM sound never appealed to me, and the 2 or 3 patches that did sound OK were overused to death. Want to tweak the patches so they don't suck? Not with that user hostile interface.

Go to your room cop

#2878459 - 09/11/17 03:30 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
Karl Schmeer Offline

Loc: State of Misery

Nice keyboard action though.

In the late 80's I bought my Matrix 12 from a guy who was selling it so he could buy a DX7.
laugh

#2878460 - 09/11/17 03:33 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Bucktunes]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Bucktunes
M Audio Venom. razz After all the hype about it, I expected it to be a pretty cool, inexpensive synth. I played one for about 2 or 3 minutes and lost interest. It just sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me. sick

+1. I bought one at steep discount and still overpaid. A true waste of money purchase.

#2878462 - 09/11/17 03:39 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Markyboard]
Daniel Wade Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
For me it was the Korg Oasis.

Not because it wasn't great, but because it cost $10,000!!!
(Yeah, you could probably wheel and deal it to $8500, doesn't matter)

I was all excited waiting for one to come into the music store. One finally did, and after playing on it, I boldly went to the sales guy and asked "how much it this one" He told me, and I pretended to be all cool and thinking about wether to buy it or not, plunking around on it and stuff. When in my mind I was going wtf, who can afford this thing?

Edited by Daniel Wade (09/11/17 03:43 PM)

#2878464 - 09/11/17 03:44 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Markyboard]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Markyboard

Go to your room cop

How do you think I got my Memorymoog for cheap?!?

#2878467 - 09/11/17 03:49 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Go to your room cop

You went to your room?
laugh

#2878468 - 09/11/17 03:51 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Sorry, but my Tyros 4 volume sliders are the worst ever in my experience. No keyboard has had such poor responses.

And no serious edits of the decay.. the basses are nearly impossible if not impossible to taper off properly..

Using it in a way it was not designed for. just a digital ac piano, is not a fun experience.

And some may differ, but Yamaha architecture is baffling to me... it was not designed for on the fly adjustments, but Man let me tell you, on the fly voice changes are a drag, as the reverb settings in ROM FOLLOW the damned thing when you want to make a change mid song.
I have a "love hate " with Tyros4.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (09/11/17 03:56 PM)

#2878469 - 09/11/17 03:54 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
The Yamaha MM6 "Mini-Mo" - NOT!

#2878470 - 09/11/17 03:57 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Wastrel]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Wastrel
The Yamaha MM6 "Mini-Mo" - NOT!

I'm with you there. I can still remember seeing it for the first time in the local music store. Yuck.

#2878484 - 09/11/17 04:59 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Markyboard]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Go to your room cop

You went to your room?
laugh

Yup - how the Memorymoog got in there, I'll never know grin

Edited by The Real MC (09/11/17 05:00 PM)

#2878487 - 09/11/17 05:05 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Alesis 6.1. One small pile of shxx.

#2878493 - 09/11/17 05:49 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Delaware Dave]
piano39 Offline

Loc: Ohio
This one will really date me. When I was about 15 years old, circa 1971, I used to hang out at the store that sold Hammond Organs. They would let me play a B-3 for a few minutes. I could hardly afford bus fare, let alone a B-3. Anyways, I figured that Hammond would come out with a synthesizer to compete with the Minimoog. Hammond should have known the pro market, and I expected them to come up with a synth that kicked ass.

Well, they finally did come up with one, geared for the home organist market. I remember major disappointment playing the thing when it came out. This article claims only 200 were made:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/hammond102200.php

#2878496 - 09/11/17 05:56 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: piano39]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh man, lowest key is an F? That is disappointing.
PianoBanana

#2878498 - 09/11/17 06:12 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Markyboard]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Prophet 600 could be in the discussion, but I owned one and loved it. At that time the 5 was out of my price range. My 600 had tuning issues, memory, reboots. I really can't remember, except it was a love/hate relationship. I had fun creating sounds and since I never owned a Mini, I was able to get some cool leads and finally had real wheels.

#2878499 - 09/11/17 06:23 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Delaware Dave]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
Alesis

Oh Man, that name is a flashback. My first pedal was the MXR phase 90 placed into the Rhodes Suitcase 73 loop in 1980. I was in Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are heaven!

Then I had a midiverb and a quadraverb!!

A friend of mine had an ADAT!! That was genius for the time.

Surprised they still exist!.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2878504 - 09/11/17 06:51 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: JazzPiano88]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Not that the Yamaha refaces sound bad or aren't built well or aren't fun... But I know a lot of us imagined something revolutionary if not evolutionary... And then these collectables arrived instead. Thankfully the Montage fulfilled the synth desires of a lot of us with its FS1R inspired FM-X (not to mention a big jump in AWM2 content over previous Motifs). YMMV. I'm hopeful the revision of the CP4 brings over a little Montage goodness.

On other fronts... Poor Alesis already named in this thread... And not that the Fusion wasn't more than we ever imagined would come out of an Alesis workstation. But the firmware/OS issues were frustrating for those that jumped in. Thankfully they also developed the Andromeda which was in production for nearly 10 years and was inspiring with its analog VCOs, Filters and FX at a time when digitals were all the rage. Maybe Alesis well reissue or release a successor. We can dream. wink

#2878521 - 09/11/17 08:15 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Moog Voyager. I expected it to be a replacement for a Minimoog D; I spent over a decade trying to convince myself I liked it, but was glad I sold it. The real Minimoog D reissue fulfilled my dreams....

#2878524 - 09/11/17 09:01 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Marzzz]
BrandonBruce Offline

Loc: Ontario (ON)
Hammond XB-2. The keys kept coming loose and it went into the shop several times to get them fixed.

#2878527 - 09/11/17 09:47 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area

It's easy to say this looking back. I remember being very impressed with the DX7 when it debuted. Back then it was Oberheims, Prophet 5s, Moogs – subtractive synths all. FM was a new world and many of those sounds, as dated and clangorous as they sound to us today, were unattainable with the typical synth of that era. Yea a lot of the DX sounds got old quickly since pretty much the entire world jumped on FM until it was supplanted by romplers.

My candidate for the most disappointing keyboard would be the Ensoniq Mirage. This is not to take away from what Ensoniq achieved, they hit a price point that was around 5x less than the next competitor (Emulator 2 at that time IIRC). I had fooled around with a Kurz 250 (I was a hired programmer for the guy that bought one of the first units), and so when I saw the ad for the Mirage that said I could get "the sound of a thunderclap" (or something like that), I bought into the hype and ordered it before it was released. When I got it back to my loft and loaded up that 8-bit piano that was crammed into 256K of memory, it was quite the letdown. It still served me well doing strings on a few Liza Minnelli tours so overall I grew to appreciate its quirks. It sits in storage at the moment. Someday I'll make it a sculpture!

#2878529 - 09/11/17 10:10 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: CEB]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: CEB
What are some keyboards you had high expectations but were thoroughly disappointed?

Here are some of mine:

1) The Roland D70. I first saw it on the showroom floor I was stoked. I expected a possibly improved D-50 with 76 keys and more polyphony. It didn't sound anything like the D-50. It sucked. It was mediocre rompler. I liked my Casios better than that thing. Maybe my expectations were just too high.

2) Korg DS-8. This came out about the same time as the D-50. It was an FM synth. I think Yamaha had bought Korg and loaned them DX FM technology. At the time I was a Casio synth player. I seemed like I was the only one. Keyboardist in the Silver Bullet band played a CZ-5000. I had a CZ-1000 (same as a CZ-101 with full size keys) and in 86 or so I got the CZ-1. At the time I played a TX-7 and had some programming software but I couldn't get the hang of programming FM. I bought a bunch of patches on cassette tape. I liked the Casio because it sounded a lot like FM but the architecture was laid out like a normal synth and I could program the CZs. This was what I wanted out of the DS-8. An Actually FM synth that was laid out like typical synth architecture. The keyboard was terrible. The action was terrible. The key travel was funny. The DW8000 was 10 times the synth the DS-8 was. It flopped. Korg only made it the one year.

I SO wanted a D-70. At the end of the day, I ended up getting the newly released JV-30. Probably the better choice although it was only 61 keys and built kind of cheaply.

At the same time I also had a CZ-101....surprisingly cool for a little mini-key casio. I later also got the VZ-8M which was a bit more powerful with a similar synth engine. Always wanted a CZ-5000....may still be tempted to get one some day off ebay.

The Alesis Fusion......initially extremely disappointing because when I got it, it still had a lot of bugs and I had to get up to speed for a new band in just a few weeks. I eventually ended up loving it after some software updates and learning some workarounds for some of it's quirks. I still prefer it's sampling, memory management and file handling to anything else on the market, and it had a decent VA engine. Plus the price was right. So call it a love/hate relationship.

Edited by J. Dan (09/11/17 10:13 PM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2878545 - 09/12/17 03:57 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I was a bit disappointed with the Korg Krome. I was hoping for a Kronos spin-off with at least 3 synth engines and Karma.

#2878552 - 09/12/17 05:28 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Synthoid]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Mojo for me. It just got lost in the mix. Problems with it in the way it was made. Had to send it back twice I expected more but from people drinking all the Koolaid about it I went for it. Went back to Hammond.

noblevibes.com

#2878556 - 09/12/17 05:47 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Outkaster]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Old: Sequential Six-Trax. Very thin, bad sound due to poorly implemented DCO and no effects. Used mine for sound effects only.

New: Yamaha Montage. Made to stand alone rather than integrate with a professional setup. In addition, patches were washed in way too much reverb to be usable on stage without drying them out. It is a shame that a synth with such a great sound was so poorly implemented. It is like Yamaha is trying to be like Apple and tell customers what they need rather than listen to their needs.

#2878572 - 09/12/17 07:18 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: RABid]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Originally Posted By: RABid

New: Yamaha Montage. Made to stand alone rather than integrate with a professional setup. In addition, patches were washed in way too much reverb to be usable on stage without drying them out. It is a shame that a synth with such a great sound was so poorly implemented. It is like Yamaha is trying to be like Apple and tell customers what they need rather than listen to their needs.

+1.

And the Nord Stage 3 is headed the same way unless they fix the MIDI routing limitations they introduced.

#2878576 - 09/12/17 07:38 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: CEB]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: CEB

2) Korg DS-8.

What a dog!

I'd say anything Reface! I'm sure some people are making good music with them, but boy things have gotten quiet since the original marketing splash.
I'm not a particular fan of any of the mini form factor stuff, but Roland seems to be crushing Yammy with their offerings.

#2878579 - 09/12/17 07:49 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: ABECK]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
A most dishonorable mention should go to the Yamaha YS-200. A real dog. Basically just a TX81Z with 61 keys and built-in sequencer. Had one for a few years in the 90s. Couldn't wait to get rid of it, which I eventually did. Horrible plastic shell design (and cheap and flimsy too).

#2878590 - 09/12/17 08:27 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: synthizen2]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: synthizen2
Horrible plastic shell design (and cheap and flimsy too).

In other words....a glimpse into the future!

#2878596 - 09/12/17 08:41 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: synthizen2]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: MN, U.S.
Originally Posted By: synthizen2
A most dishonorable mention should go to the Yamaha YS-200. A real dog. Basically just a TX81Z with 61 keys and built-in sequencer. Had one for a few years in the 90s. Couldn't wait to get rid of it, which I eventually did. Horrible plastic shell design (and cheap and flimsy too).

The keys' velocity sensitivity is also a bit under powered, at least for controlling anything. But I still use mine for controlling strings, pads, and organ from my Motif. Maybe part of that is that I don't have a better controller keyboard right now.

Aside from that, who doesn't like its "retro-'80s" looks? laugh

For disappointing products, I nominate the Montage as well. The FM-X is nice, but I miss the sequencer and memory expandability. Not to mention the ugly looks, and NO weight reduction at all from the Motif series.

Also Korg Krome and pretty much any of the M-Audio stuff.

Edited by Mighty Motif Max (09/12/17 08:47 AM)

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs, Shure SM-57

#2878599 - 09/12/17 08:51 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: RABid]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I had such high hopes when this was announced but so disappointed with the flimsy buttons and the overall plastic feel.

Also the built in speakers are somewhat under powered.

#2878606 - 09/12/17 09:10 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Markyboard]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: MN, U.S.
I had such high hopes when this was announced but so disappointed with the flimsy buttons and the overall plastic feel.

idea roll

Edited by Mighty Motif Max (09/12/17 09:11 AM)

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs, Shure SM-57

#2878633 - 09/12/17 11:06 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Markyboard]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas

The keys don't light up, do they?

Edited by David Loving (09/12/17 11:07 AM)

#2878635 - 09/12/17 11:10 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Markyboard]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Is that a new offering by Nord?

#2878656 - 09/12/17 01:09 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Reezekeys]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys

It's easy to say this looking back. I remember being very impressed with the DX7 when it debuted. Back then it was Oberheims, Prophet 5s, Moogs – subtractive synths all. FM was a new world and many of those sounds, as dated and clangorous as they sound to us today, were unattainable with the typical synth of that era. Yea a lot of the DX sounds got old quickly since pretty much the entire world jumped on FM until it was supplanted by romplers.

I was actively gigging during those days. A lot of people liked the new world of FM sounds but I was not one of them. I held onto my subtractive synths.

#2878660 - 09/12/17 01:33 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I liked the TX7 a lot as a MIDI layer element with the D-50 or my Ensoniq synths. Kind of the same way I use Korg's MOD-7 or FM-7.

Edited by CEB (09/12/17 01:33 PM)

#2878668 - 09/12/17 02:22 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: CEB]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DX7 was not all bad... it was almost great, and it could suck too.
Jay Oliver used a very large number of DX7's in some other form factor.. and he is a killer musician. I think Dave Ferris might know of him.

The DX7 had a desirable immediacy to its touch that I really liked.

A bit OT but think of it
a Hammond was an attempt to mimic a real organ

Rhodes mimiced a piano

DX7 same deal

#2878674 - 09/12/17 02:42 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Korg Poly 61. It seemed like a good idea but ended up being uninspiring to play.

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2878678 - 09/12/17 02:50 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Sam Mullins]
hipogrito Offline

Loc: East Northport,NY
Hi,

Well, I might be in the minority here but I loved my D-70... used it a lot in my times in Nexx.

The thing about the Piano sound in the D-70 was not that it sounded real, which it didn't, but that it blended very nice when playing 80's style rock in a band along with distorted guitars... the 2 layers in the piano were just great to play soft and quiet or ultra-bright, it didn't have anything in between, but it just worked! And with a little editing you could get very nice pad sounds. Love it! I still have it but I broke the power cable and having a unit that requires 220 Volts I was lazy to fix it... need to do it one of these days....

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZTGYVvhZQ (the piano+strings are from the D-70 see the different sound in the quiet parts vs the parts when the guitars are there), like all the instrumental part in the middle.

Regards,
Fran

Edited by hipogrito (09/12/17 02:51 PM)

#2878704 - 09/12/17 03:38 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: BrandonBruce]
bill bosco Offline

yes , the xb-2 was an epic dud , i didn't keep mine long enough
for the keys to start falling off though

#2878719 - 09/12/17 04:30 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: bill bosco]
RABid Offline
10k Club

DX7 was a keyboard of compromise. You gave up that luscious analog sound. In return you got increased polyphony and rock solid tuning. Something any working musician relying on analogs could appreciate.

#2878723 - 09/12/17 04:41 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: RABid]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The first Korg Poly 6 and Roland Juno 6 pre-dated versions with memory Poly 61 and Juno 60. I always wondered why anyone would waste the money.

Edited by 16251 (09/12/17 04:56 PM)

#2878726 - 09/12/17 04:52 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: hipogrito]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: hipogrito
Hi,

Well, I might be in the minority here but I loved my D-70... used it a lot in my times in Nexx.

The thing about the Piano sound in the D-70 was not that it sounded real, which it didn't, but that it blended very nice when playing 80's style rock in a band along with distorted guitars... the 2 layers in the piano were just great to play soft and quiet or ultra-bright, it didn't have anything in between, but it just worked! And with a little editing you could get very nice pad sounds. Love it! I still have it but I broke the power cable and having a unit that requires 220 Volts I was lazy to fix it... need to do it one of these days....

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZTGYVvhZQ (the piano+strings are from the D-70 see the different sound in the quiet parts vs the parts when the guitars are there), like all the instrumental part in the middle.

Regards,
Fran

Yes, after listening to the YT cut, I so to speak, hear you grin
Ultra brite and soft laid back...

Question

I was a lover of JV 1000 - after losing one ( don't ask ) I bought a second one ( second hand ).

What is the lineage of the D 50 and the D 70 and the JV series too?
It seems the D70 was a model I always wanted.. but I am not sure.

#2878729 - 09/12/17 05:11 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: 16251]
analogholic Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: 16251
The first Korg Poly 6 and Roland Juno 6 pre-dated versions with memory Poly 61 and Juno 60. I always wondered why anyone would waste the money.

The poly 6 and 61 have nothing to with each other.
Poly 6 is a single VCO synth with ensemble fx
Poly 61 is a dual DCO synth without ensemble fx

#2878733 - 09/12/17 05:23 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: analogholic]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
Polymoog

For some, the thinking was that if Moogs are corpulent, then the Poly should have been fat multiple times over. I think that people were disappointed that the Polymoog was not that at all.

#2878745 - 09/12/17 06:36 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: The Real MC]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES

I was actively gigging during those days. A lot of people liked the new world of FM sounds but I was not one of them. I held onto my subtractive synths.

The music store had a DX7 next to a JX-8P. The DX had one really awesome sound. The JX did strings, brass, a passable EP, lush pads--everything the music of the day needed. I bought the JX, much to the chagrin of a number of bandmates. I had to augment the JX with a TX-81z to appease the crowd. But time has proven me right, dammit.

#2878746 - 09/12/17 06:37 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: analogholic]
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Downingtown, PA
Originally Posted By: analogholic

The Korg Polysix does have patch memory. The Roland Juno-6 did not. The reason why I bought one was it was cheaper than the Juno-60 and I could only afford the Juno-6 at the time. I had to manually change sounds in between songs. Taught me how to program very quickly.

#2878766 - 09/12/17 08:13 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: RABid]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DX7 was a keyboard of compromise. You gave up that luscious analog sound.

I hate to sound like some DX cheerleader because I'm really not - but I had to comment. "Giving up that luscious analog sound" was exactly the point of the DX7! It made completely different sounds that no analog synth at the time could make – and don't forget that it cost about half of what an OBX or a Prophet 5 cost. I don't remember Yamaha saying you should throw away your analog synths – I kept my OBXa.

#2878811 - 09/13/17 06:18 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: ksoper]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: ksoper

The music store had a DX7 next to a JX-8P. The DX had one really awesome sound. The JX did strings, brass, a passable EP, lush pads--everything the music of the day needed. I bought the JX, much to the chagrin of a number of bandmates. I had to augment the JX with a TX-81z to appease the crowd. But time has proven me right, dammit.

I bought a JX10 over the DX7 for the same reason, plus it had a 7 octave keyboard that was a big plus for me.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2878813 - 09/13/17 06:47 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: DanL]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Well. As so often happens, I learned something here today. When I saw you guys doing side by side comparisons of the Roland JX series and the Yamaha DX7, my reaction was Nope, the DX7 came way before those synths. Wrong again. They were direct competitors. I had the JX-3P when it first came out and would have sworn that the DX7 was already pretty old by then. But as it happens...
DX7 1983-1989
JX3P 1983-1985
JX8P 1985-1989
JX10 1986-1989

Shows what I know.

#2878815 - 09/13/17 06:57 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: DanL]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
I was never bowled over by the DX7, but I bought one for two primary reasons:
1. Pressure - The first question you were asked as a keyboard player was "where's your DX7?"
2. Polyphony - at the time, it was really the most affordable instrument with 16 voices, while most of the competitive synthesizers were 6 or 8

I was thrilled to get rid of it, and really can't stand that EP sound to this day.

To me, however, the most disappointing keyboard product release what the entire line of "Rhodes" pianos when Roland took over the brand. They were collectively awful.

Dishonorable mentions go to the Alpha Junos and pretty much all the 4-operator Yamaha FM synths.

#2878820 - 09/13/17 07:05 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: DanL]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The first DX7 run had some pretty weird anomalies iirc. Velocity that went to 100 or 110 (I think only installing an E! board fixed this), and channel aftertouch was CC#3. But when it was first released, FM synthesis for the masses was brand new. The DX7 made sounds you could not get from the regular (and twice as expensive) analogs of the day. I remember that some of them were closer to the real thing than what any Oberheim, Moog, or Prophet could make – a flute with a breath noise component for one. Then there were those clangorous bells that we love to hate today. The EPs, which are also universally hated now, were a brand-new sound then and way more expressive than any analog could do since those didn't have velocity sensitivity.

I just think people's opinions are colored by the passage of time. I knew some of the top keyboardists in the NYC studio scene back then, and none of them were disappointed by the DX7. In fact, they were the complete opposite of disappointed.

#2878831 - 09/13/17 07:43 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Reezekeys]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
I used the Rhodes VK1000 as my main board for a long time. It had a decent organ sound and was a good controller for a JV880 module I used for pianos and other sounds. I ran the VK into a Leslie for a while, and then a Motion Sound that was the top rotor that fed the low end into your amp.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2878832 - 09/13/17 07:46 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Doc Tonewheel]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Doc Tonewheel
Originally Posted By: analogholic

The Korg Polysix does have patch memory. The Roland Juno-6 did not. The reason why I bought one was it was cheaper than the Juno-60 and I could only afford the Juno-6 at the time. I had to manually change sounds in between songs. Taught me how to program very quickly.

Yeah I was remembering about Polysix from the early 80's, and I did just google it and I did speak incorrectly; it had 32 memory slots. It was the first low-priced poly synth. I never bought one but I did buy a Juno 60, once Roland added memory. I had both the Jun0 60 and Prophet 600 and had a DX7 for my piano sound. Once the Roland MKS-20 module came out I used the DX7 for mostly controller until I sold for Korg SG-1D. Old gas...

Edited by 16251 (09/13/17 07:49 AM)

#2878898 - 09/13/17 11:17 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Reezekeys]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
DX7 was a keyboard of compromise. You gave up that luscious analog sound.

I hate to sound like some DX cheerleader because I'm really not - but I had to comment. "Giving up that luscious analog sound" was exactly the point of the DX7! It made completely different sounds that no analog synth at the time could make – and don't forget that it cost about half of what an OBX or a Prophet 5 cost. I don't remember Yamaha saying you should throw away your analog synths – I kept my OBXa.

I guess we come from different worlds. I was a full time keyboardist playing analogs. Every Sunday I spent a few hours tuning the 18 oscillators in my MemoryMoog. The DX7 did away with that problem. Sure, it had cool gong and bell sounds, but it also has some thin sounding square lead and hoover patches that were necessary if I was going to replace that troublesome Moog. Yamaha never told me to replace my analogs, but as a working road musician I had limits to what I could keep and carry. Getting a DX7 meant getting rid of something. At the time I considered it a good trade. The DX7 was a great keyboard, but the sound was really thin.

#2878993 - 09/13/17 07:18 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: RABid]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
Staying with the DX tangent for a paragraph, when I had a choice of either getting a DX7 or a Mirage sampler, I picked the Mirage for the acoustic piano, which at 8 bits was still more piano-ish than 6-operator FM or analog could get me. I loved it, and remained an Ensoniq partisan for some 10 years or more.

Back to disappointments, a big one for me (over time) was the Fusion 6HD, which had an amazing sound engine (around 200 osc polyphony), reed, flue, and analog models, wonderful controller routing (nigh as deep as VAST), and a HD recording system.

Unfortunately, the software was buggy from the get-go, and mine also had hardware problems that would require multiple attempts to even boot. I tried for almost ten years to love it, and programmed the bleep out of it, but when I finally traded it in at GC, I was just glad to see it go.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61, Boss RT-20

#2879015 - 09/13/17 09:01 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: RABid]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
My two choices were this:

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
The Alesis Fusion......initially extremely disappointing because when I got it, it still had a lot of bugs and I had to get up to speed for a new band in just a few weeks. I eventually ended up loving it after some software updates and learning some workarounds for some of it's quirks. I still prefer it's sampling, memory management and file handling to anything else on the market, and it had a decent VA engine. Plus the price was right. So call it a love/hate relationship.

and this:

Old: Sequential Six-Trax. Very thin, bad sound due to poorly implemented DCO and no effects. Used mine for sound effects only.

I had 2 Six-Trak. It didn't sound twice as good, believe me.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2879016 - 09/13/17 09:10 PM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: ksoper]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Originally Posted By: ksoper

OMG. This is exactly my story. I also bought the JX-8P over the DX7, and the band was pissed. You're right: the DX7 did one sound great. (Maybe two: the harmonica is now pretty iconic). But also, I think I was rebelling against the "me, too" attitude of all the other keyboardists I came across on the road. And time has proven me right, too, dammit!

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2879046 - 09/14/17 01:22 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: Synthaholic]
BRW Offline

The cool thing is, nowadays we get to buy all the things we either couldn't afford back then or didn't find "desirable". Now I have both a DX7-II and a JX-8P smile

Now that I love everything that is 80s, I've grown to cherish the DX7. smile

Back then, though, I used to -hate- it. I was all about "realistic" sounds (romplers) so I couldn't wait I got my hands on an M1, the 01/W, the T and the X series Korgs of the late 80's and early 90's.

#2879134 - 09/14/17 08:11 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: BRW]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I couldn't afford the Jupiter-8 when it was new..... I still can't shocked

#2879137 - 09/14/17 08:17 AM Re: Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing. [Re: BRW]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: BRW
The cool thing is, nowadays we get to buy all the things we either couldn't afford back then or didn't find "desirable". Now I have both a DX7-II and a JX-8P smile

I totally get this!
I'm sure some day I'll buy a D-50, and a JX-10 - but to echo CEB - there are a ton on my list that are so overly expensive I still can't afford them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner