Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2878352 - 09/11/17 05:51 AM Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam?
Donja Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Md USA
I'm looking for a dependable wireless midi system for onstage keytar use, just wondering if anyone has a personal recommendation? Mid-size private event venues, no more than 1000 people, sometimes outdoors, hotel ballrooms, etc. I used to use a midi to audio type device that sort of worked, sold it years ago. Tried the m audio device (since discontinued) which was pretty awful with latency. The 2 contenders now look to be the MidiJet Pro and the Midibeam. Big price difference, but I don't know if that's due to direct marketing versus music store markup.

KC Island
#2878534 - 09/11/17 11:56 PM Re: Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam? [Re: Donja]
MPN21 Offline

Check with Starr Labs. They might be able to supply you with one though it says out of stock.
http://www.starrlabs.com/product/airpower2/

#2878755 - 09/12/17 07:35 PM Re: Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam? [Re: MPN21]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Kansas
Just hours ago my alter-ego impulse-purchased a Panda MidiBeam. According to THEIR website, they have the lowest latency and farthest range for a better price.

My band mates are really pushing for more keytar at the gigs. I prefer just two or three tunes per night, but now I'll have all the sounds of the iPad available with no wires...they may regret the monster they've created. Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

#2878808 - 09/13/17 06:05 AM Re: Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam? [Re: brenner13]
High Diving Act Offline

Loc: Waterloo Ontario Canada
Give your review after you have used it in a few scenarios. I have the Starlab Airpower2. I would say it's adequate.. but if I'm in a crowd and more than 25 feet away from the reciever.. I can lose connection.
www.mclovinmusic.com
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Alesis Vortex, Casio 6500

#2879347 - 09/14/17 09:56 PM Re: Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam? [Re: High Diving Act]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Just received the Panda tonight. Set up and install was dead easy. No detectable latency through camera kit to new iPad 128Gb (some apps are inherently slower than others). Receiver requires that kind of strange squared off (trapezoid) mini USB...not the more common micro one, but is powered by the iPad. I guess it also works as a midi to USB interface but haven't tried it yet. Egad! Already short on sleep time...more review to come after the gig Sat.

Edited by brenner13 (09/15/17 04:29 AM)
Edit Reason: Google help

#2879663 - 09/16/17 10:30 AM Re: Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam? [Re: brenner13]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Just a short few years ago this page would have been flooded with posts decrying the use of a Keytar.

The times, they are a-changing.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2880323 - Yesterday at 06:46 PM Re: Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam? [Re: Synthaholic]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

I chickened out at the gig Sat and just went with the wireless audio on the Lucina. Just don't have the iPad ready to go for the shows yet. Then got real busy with new Roland organ firmware and haven't had a moment to test the Panda any further. Got another show this Friday, but it is a more country kind of crowd...I may still try some wireless midi from the standard rig controlling Ivory Module.

#2880343 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM Re: Anyone compare MidiJet Pro to Panda Audio MidiBeam? [Re: brenner13]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Just an FYI - I own the CME WIDI which has been discontinued for quite some time now, but I figured I'd throw in a review in case anybody comes across one and has questions. You have to buy 2 of them (one for each end) While they have both USB and DIN MIDI, the USB isn't actually a class compliant MIDI connection - you can use it with drivers on a computer to act like a MIDI interface.

I used it DIN to DIN but actually never ended up playing live since that project died before it got that far. However, I did a LOT of testing with it because I wanted to make sure it would be reliable before I committed to the rig.

I didn't measure the range and don't recall the specification, but I went a distance where the audio delay was more of an issue than anything (no latency I could detect, but speed of sound is what it is). Never a hung note or anything like that. Furthest I went was with my keyboards at the front of the house, and me with the keytar out the back through the back yard and across the alley in my neighbor's yard. So probably a couple hundred feet and through a brick wall and at different elevations. I can't imagine ever wanting to be further than that from the stage.

Battery life seemed good as I did quite a few practices that were a few hours long and never changed the batteries. No belt clip or anything like that. I rubber-banded one to the keytar strap and left the other hanging with the cables clipped to my stand.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner