Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2878021 - 09/09/17 12:43 AM D-05 is announced
CEB Offline
10k Club

16 voice max polyphony and a sequencer. Not sure why I'm drawn to it but I am. I have the real thing.

It comes loaded with ALL the Roland ROM cards ever.

You can load Sysex files into it so all your old patches..... The entire Valhalla library will load into it.

It is a D-50 pretty much. It has two audio modes. 1) Classic mode that emulates the old D-50 audio output and 2) Clean mode that sterilizes..... I mean creates more pristine audio fidelity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TjkFNrdOHMg

Edited by CEB (09/09/17 04:51 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

KC Island
#2878023 - 09/09/17 01:54 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Yay!!! Using this and my Kronos, I can have a DX7, an M1 and a D-50 live..! smile

#2878041 - 09/09/17 04:34 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I really might get one of these since I no longer have the original and miss the sounds.

The problem was, I didn't want to lug the old D-50 to a gig just for a few sounds, but the size of the boutique model is perfect! smile

I watched the video. Pizza gogo? facepalm

#2878049 - 09/09/17 04:53 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2878051 - 09/09/17 05:02 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Looks very similar to the VSynth card.
16 voice
64x4 patches
64x8 user patch locations
64 step sequencer is interesting
Can run on rechargeable batteries

So I wonder if price of D-550 rack drops on second hand market?

#2878054 - 09/09/17 05:17 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Analogaddict
Yay!!! Using this and my Kronos, I can have a DX7, an M1 and a D-50 live..! smile

With an iPad and the iM1 app, yes. Unless I've missed something, there's not much M1 available directly in the Kronos.

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Looks very similar to the VSynth card.

Yup.

"Our port of the D50 using DCB technology goes back to the development of the VC1 expansion card for the Vsynth, which was developed in 2004. The D50 plug-in and the Boutique series D-05 port are based on technology that we developed at that time."

Lots of other interesting bits in this video:

#2878056 - 09/09/17 05:26 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, being a digital boutique of a digital synth it's got the best poly of any of them. The arp and seq are neat. Just like the D-50 ushered in what eventually became the highly successful 1080 - Integra 7 and thevbasis for that digital Roland synth sound. I find this boutique particularly nostalgic having been a sophomore in high school when the D-50 came out.

#2878058 - 09/09/17 05:31 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I wish they would go back and upgrade other models to 16 voice.

#2878061 - 09/09/17 05:52 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: RABid]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Haha, preach it!

#2878066 - 09/09/17 06:05 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: RABid]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: RABid

This is not an upgrade to the ACB tech used in the others, it's a different "engine," DCB. It's a digital re-working of a synth that was digital to begin with, as opposed to a digital emulation of an analog system. Their "analog behavior" stuff remains limited to 4 voice, but who knows, maybe that limitation can be overcome in a future gen of that tech...

#2878067 - 09/09/17 06:05 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Roland boutique synths sure make the Yamaha "Retread" stuff look lame. frown

#2878091 - 09/09/17 07:41 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

This is not an upgrade to the ACB tech used in the others, it's a different "engine," DCB. It's a digital re-working of a synth that was digital to begin with, as opposed to a digital emulation of an analog system. Their "analog behavior" stuff remains limited to 4 voice, but who knows, maybe that limitation can be overcome in a future gen of that tech...

All true, Scott. Although I'd suggest that at this price point it's a conscious effort on Roland's part to limit voice count. Both in keeping a reason to buy their higher end stuff and also their choice of processor (minimal necessary to run the ACB models). But we know from other VAs on the market that today's processors are quite capable of delivering 12, 24 voices.

#2878099 - 09/09/17 08:19 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Most of these Boutiques are just too f$%#ing small for me, the first synths and stuff. But I just picked up the TR-08. I tried it out first and found it fine. The level/decay knobs on the original 808 are just about as tiny, just more spaced out. The other switches and controls feel just fine. So using it doesn't feel hugely compromised. With their synths, trying to make precise changes to these tiny knobs and sliders just is no fun for me. Drum machines are different, IMO, and are more easily adapted to the smaller form factor. I think I'd be OK with the 09 and 03.

We'll see on the D-05. We're moving out of the old Roland stuff that's priced in the stratosphere in the used market. D50s/D550s regularly pop up on my CL for reasonable prices. I'm not a huge D-50s fan myself. I had the card for the V-Synth but got bored with it and sold it for profit on ebay.

Busch.

#2878101 - 09/09/17 08:28 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Boyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy! love love love love love drool drool drool drool drool

Will be preordering later today!

Just preordered. $349.99. Anticipated arrival date to candy store wink is November 1.

Edited by Moonglow (09/09/17 08:56 AM)

#2878104 - 09/09/17 08:40 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

All true, Scott. Although I'd suggest that at this price point it's a conscious effort on Roland's part to limit voice count. Both in keeping a reason to buy their higher end stuff

you could also daisy-chain to double the polyphony.

and also their choice of processor (minimal necessary to run the ACB models).

but the more capable processor would presumably raise their costs. There's nothing wrong or unexpected about a company trying to make a design as profitable as they think they can.

IOW, to flip your premise around, instead of "at this price point it's a conscious effort on Roland's part to limit voice count" it could be "the limited voice count results from a conscious effort on Roland's part to keep costs down." And that's reasonable, especially since you *can* daisy-chain, and you *can* buy higher end models.

It's really hard to say whether or not they made the right choice, from a business perspective. i.e. assuming that it was *feasible* to do 8-voice ACB in the Boutique chassis (I'll get back to that), would they have sold enough more of them to have made that the more profitable decision.

But we know from other VAs on the market that today's processors are quite capable of delivering 12, 24 voices.

Also, though, if Roland's PR is to be believed, what they are doing with ACB is fundamentally different from the approach other VA has taken... i.e. (as I understand it) modeling the components that created the sound, as opposed to modeling the sonic "results" of those components.The point being only that a different approach may make different demands on the processor. Plus there can be the usual considerations when attempting to put a lot into a small box... what fits, how much heat does it generate, etc. So we don't really know if 8-voice ACB in a Boutique was or was not feasible. (Though even if it wasn't when they designed it, that doesn't mean it may not be in the future, as components continue to get cheaper and more efficient.)

#2878108 - 09/09/17 08:51 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
Most of these Boutiques are just too f$%#ing small for me, the first synths and stuff....With their synths, trying to make precise changes to these tiny knobs and sliders just is no fun for me.

I found the knobs on the JX-03 more easy to manipulate than the sliders on the JP-08. (Unfortunately, I just didn't much care for the sound on the JX-03.) The knobs on the SE-02 feel better than the ones on the JX-03. So I guess what I'm saying is, to me, it depends on the particulars. In only cursory use, I'm okay with the operation of the SE-02. One nice thing is that hey enhanced the MIDI functionality, so you can also assign knobs on some other controller to the key SE-02 functions.

The lack of knobs or sliders on the D-05 kind of puts in a whole other category, it will probably essentially be used as a preset-playback sound module, which is kind of how the D50 was often used anyway, and it should be fine for that. (And like the original, people who want to edit will probably look for an outside-of-the-box solution for that.)

We're moving out of the old Roland stuff that's priced in the stratosphere in the used market. D50s/D550s regularly pop up on my CL for reasonable prices.

True, but there is a big difference in travel weight! And possibly reliability. And realistically, for a gigging rig anyway, I think most people who would like D50 sounds would rather add them in a little box than to "tie up" an entire "tier" of their rig with a D50.

#2878111 - 09/09/17 09:02 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Most of these Boutiques are just too f$%#ing small for me, the first synths and stuff....With their synths, trying to make precise changes to these tiny knobs and sliders just is no fun for me.

I found the knobs on the JX-03 more easy to manipulate than the sliders on the JP-08. (Unfortunately, I just didn't much care for the sound on the JX-03.) The knobs on the SE-02 feel better than the ones on the JX-03. So I guess what I'm saying is, to me, it depends on the particulars. In only cursory use, I'm okay with the operation of the SE-02. One nice thing is that hey enhanced the MIDI functionality, so you can also assign knobs on some other controller to the key SE-02 functions.

The lack of knobs or sliders on the D-05 kind of puts in a whole other category, it will probably essentially be used as a preset-playback sound module, which is kind of how the D50 was often used anyway, and it should be fine for that. (And like the original, people who want to edit will probably look for an outside-of-the-box solution for that.)

We're moving out of the old Roland stuff that's priced in the stratosphere in the used market. D50s/D550s regularly pop up on my CL for reasonable prices.

True, but there is a big difference in travel weight! And possibly reliability. And realistically, for a gigging rig anyway, I think most people who would like D50 sounds would rather add them in a little box than to "tie up" an entire "tier" of their rig with a D50.

I tried the SE-02 and really wanted to like it as I'm a big SE fan, but it is just no fun for me. Just too small for precise moves. Uncomfortable.

I can understand the D-05 for gigging, but that's a small market. And, if you only needed a few D50 sounds, they can be sampled pretty easily. We'll have to see on the interface. That display is really shrunk down from the original.

Busch.

#2878112 - 09/09/17 09:06 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
[

Also, though, if Roland's PR is to be believed, what they are doing with ACB is fundamentally different from the approach other VA has taken... i.e. (as I understand it) modeling the components that created the sound, as opposed to modeling the sonic "results" of those components.

Didn't Korg do exactly this with their Legacy software? Only they call it Component Modeling Technology. Now we have Digital Circuit Behavior technology to model digital registers and gates supporting Linear Arithmetic Synthesis.

10 years from now they'll be modeling the model. Where does it end? shocked

#2878114 - 09/09/17 09:32 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

if you only needed a few D50 sounds, they can be sampled pretty easily.

I don't know... don't many D50 sounds evolve over time? Complicates sampling. But I've never owned a D50.

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
[
Also, though, if Roland's PR is to be believed, what they are doing with ACB is fundamentally different from the approach other VA has taken... i.e. (as I understand it) modeling the components that created the sound, as opposed to modeling the sonic "results" of those components.

Didn't Korg do exactly this with their Legacy software? Only they call it Component Modeling Technology.

Ah, yes, you're right. I was thinking about the more typical "third party" VA. What's (semi-)unique in these cases is that Korg and Roland actually have access to all the low level design information of the boards that they are modeling, which would allow them to do this. (Roland even talks about how they get input from the original designers.)

This also makes me think about he difference between the HX3 clone which models the circuitry that generated the Hammond organ sound, as opposed to VB3 which models the sounds it generates, as I understand it.

Getting back to the D-05, in emulating a D50, Roland can use whatever digital code they want from the D50, which no one else can use, even if they had it, since that falls under copyright.

#2878115 - 09/09/17 09:46 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: DarkyLord]
DicemLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
They are going to sell a crap ton of these.

#2878128 - 09/09/17 10:51 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Bucktunes Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Quincy, Illinois,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: CEB
16 voice max polyphony and a sequencer...It comes loaded with ALL the Roland ROM cards ever.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TjkFNrdOHMg

Dang Roland, just take my money already! love
I've never owned a Roland keyboard because there was always something out there by Yamaha, Korg or Kurzweil that I preferred. But I've always admired the D50, so this is downright irresistible to me. The A/B comparisons to the original reveal a few patches that are slightly brighter and/or more resonant on the D05, but that would be easy to tweak. Having all the sound library and polyphony of the original makes this a no brainer for me. I agree they should sell these by the truckload! Bring it, Roland! cool

#2878131 - 09/09/17 10:57 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Bucktunes]
Bucktunes Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Quincy, Illinois,UNITED STATES
Also, the "classis/clean" option is interesting. I applaud Roland for recognizing that sometimes imperfect is perfect! smile Still it will be interesting to hear how certain patches benefit from a more modern clean sound. cool

#2878138 - 09/09/17 11:57 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Bucktunes]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The D-50 is a really nice sounding engine, even compared to all sorts options we have today.

It's such a great mimic of acoustic instruments, it can be analog synthy sounding, it can be FM-like sounding, it even does a respectable organ ftw, and that joystick gives it some motion fading between parts. If you do cover work, there are already a lot of great patches for recognizable timbres. 16 voices ain't too shabby. The arp and seq are useful.

The 05 looks like fun - I'd really rather have a V-Synth rack with the VC-1 card - BUT the downside to that is that you cant mix and match, I believe you have to boot into the D-50 emulation at start up. So it's either or, not both.

#2878139 - 09/09/17 12:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

The 05 looks like fun - I'd really rather have a V-Synth rack with the VC-1 card - BUT the downside to that is that you cant mix and match, I believe you have to boot into the D-50 emulation at start up. So it's either or, not both.

I think the V-Synth XT rack has the D50 built in and doesn't require a separate boot. Maybe someone else can confirm...

#2878140 - 09/09/17 12:35 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
it even does a respectable organ ftw,

you know them's fighting words around these parts. bang grin

#2878142 - 09/09/17 12:48 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: count doerflera]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
Apparently redefining the future also means renewing my bifocal prescription.

I dunno... the only boutique I'm really attracted to is the SE-02, which (correctly IMO) devotes the front panel entirely to functions you'd normally see on a front panel.

These things are just too small to be cramming pitch and mod ribbons in there too.

#2878144 - 09/09/17 01:06 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think the V-Synth XT rack has the D50 built in and doesn't require a separate boot. Maybe someone else can confirm...

I'm referring to this from soundonsound, "Selecting the VC1 immediately disables all the XT's V-Synth functions, so you can't (for example) play a D50 patch through the V-Synth XT's COSM processors or output effects." Not sure if I am understanding that correctly.

Some commentary on the D-05 from Peter over at createdigitalmusic... "I just doubt that the D-05 will see anywhere near the popularity of the Juno and Jupiter remakes, let alone the wildly popular 909, 808, 303, and now 101. If I had to buy two boxes right away, I’d opt TR-08 and SH-01A, no question, for playability, sonic distinctiveness, and interesting step sequencing possibilities."

#2878150 - 09/09/17 01:41 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have the original TR-606 (the TB-303 is the exact size) and size wise it's identical in width to the Boutiques and about 20% deeper, so it's close. The TR-909, TR-808 and TB-303 have some small knobs. The two drum machines had vast unused panel space, so cramming those devices down to the Boutique I think is OK. But synths are another matter, IMO.

Busch.

#2878152 - 09/09/17 01:46 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some commentary on the D-05 from Peter over at createdigitalmusic... "I just doubt that the D-05 will see anywhere near the popularity of the Juno and Jupiter remakes, let alone the wildly popular 909, 808, 303, and now 101. If I had to buy two boxes right away, I’d opt TR-08 and SH-01A, no question, for playability, sonic distinctiveness, and interesting step sequencing possibilities."

I agree. If the D50 was that sought after it would be reflected in higher prices in the vintage market.

Busch.

#2878159 - 09/09/17 02:13 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
dazzjazz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney
30 years ago (Jesus!) I gigged with a D50 then, as I didn't like the action, switched to the D550 rack driven by a KX76, which was heaven. I still have the Sysex for all my patches, so would be keen to connect with those again.

I made some gorgeous analog strings on the D50 - they'd always get compliments...so maybe I'll buy one of these suckers...

#2878170 - 09/09/17 04:39 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: On Mars, due to GPS error
I mostly live in Logic-world now, but I've been squirming around for a module or mini-synth to add a fresh slant on things. The idea of a MiniNova kept coming around, but the D-05 is closer to home. Through a certain social convolution with a friend, I possessed a D50 for a few months, so having this come along with all of its ROM cards feels like a win. I'll be looking for a Mac editor to push the idea over the top, but its a more flexible synth than many that have come along since it appeared. I know how to tweak it (mostly), so it might be my first new piece of synth hardware in several years. It'd be a great wild card.

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2878178 - 09/09/17 04:58 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: David Emm]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: David Emm
I mostly live in Logic-world now,
I'll be looking for a Mac editor to push the idea over the top

possibilities...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIRTUAL-PG-1000-editor-programmer-Roland-D-50-D-550-LOGIC-v4-X-/271037969358

http://ctrlr.org/roland-d50-editor/

#2878181 - 09/09/17 05:13 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Holy bleep, thanks! Its always a high-wire act to dive into a new synth, but I've had great luck with building a couple of personal patch sets based off the presets. That second one when you're still hot for a new toy is usually the best keeper. One of these editors may fill the bill here. Like everyone else, I'll wait on Preve and Nick Batt to pronounce what's what, but I'm cautiously enthused. BTW, T.S. Eliot rocked, but I also think he was nipping laudnum when no one was looking.

#2878184 - 09/09/17 05:55 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: David Emm]
_Maximus_ Offline

Loc: Guatemala
i dont think i've gassed so much for something so niche, i was too young to have messed around with the original, but i know the sounds, ill probably will have to imported from the USA, the current dealer in my country is in the crapper, Man, roland is really getting a lot of miles out of that system on a chip DSP IC that they use on the Boutique series, that being said as cool as that will look on top of the M3, i wish it wouldve been an app instaed

Edited by _Maximus_ (09/09/17 06:28 PM)

#2878186 - 09/09/17 06:19 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Still can't believe the most famous preset "Heaven" is not used in any demo.
I pre ordered one.
SE-02 is so damn good I had to get one.
Size is a plus for me as I have Solaris and a K4 combined as a dual Master MIDI Control set up.
Joystick and Ribbon if Solaris, combined with K4/Reflex Expression means this Dog will hunt.

#2878188 - 09/09/17 06:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: DicemLabs.com]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Only $350 for preorder at Sweetwater.

I had my eye more on the SH-01A for about the same price. Maybe get both? wink

#2878227 - 09/10/17 05:56 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: count doerflera]
Adam C. Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

Personally, I still contend that, in a pinch, the D-50 does a passable B-3 impersonation in certain situations. (Particularly in the mix, during a Rock Band-type scenario.) Obviously, it pales in comparison to a real, honest-to-goodness Clonewheel Organ, but for an '80's digital-synth, I don't think that it sounds to badly. (Much more passable than the YAMAHA DX7 and KORG M1 of that same relative timeframe.)

Granted, while the organ presents that initially came with the ROLAND D-50 weren't all that impressive, ("Slow Rotor" & "Rock Organ") the sounds that VALHALA released on their 'Screamin' B3' ROM Card were extremely well done. I've posted it before, but here's a link to a short YouTube tutorial that I made a few years ago showing how to simulate a Leslie speaker using the D-50's own internal Chorus-Effect, (which features a couple of the VALHALA Organ sounds.)

ROLAND D-50 / Hammond B3 Organ Tutorial

#2878228 - 09/10/17 06:11 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: dazzjazz
30 years ago (Jesus!) I gigged with a D50 then, as I didn't like the action, switched to the D550 rack driven by a KX76, which was heaven.

Wow! I might have written this. I did the exact same thing!

..Joe

#2878231 - 09/10/17 06:34 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Adam C.]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Adam C.
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

Personally, I still contend that, in a pinch, the D-50 does a passable B-3 impersonation in certain situations. (Particularly in the mix, during a Rock Band-type scenario.) Obviously, it pales in comparison to a real, honest-to-goodness Clonewheel Organ, but for an '80's digital-synth, I don't think that it sounds to badly. (Much more passable than the YAMAHA DX7 and KORG M1 of that same relative timeframe.)

Granted, while the organ presents that initially came with the ROLAND D-50 weren't all that impressive, ("Slow Rotor" & "Rock Organ") the sounds that VALHALA released on their 'Screamin' B3' ROM Card were extremely well done. I've posted it before, but here's a link to a short YouTube tutorial that I made a few years ago showing how to simulate a Leslie speaker using the D-50's own internal Chorus-Effect, (which features a couple of the VALHALA Organ sounds.)

ROLAND D-50 / Hammond B3 Organ Tutorial

Most definitely this is, what I was referring to. No it's not a clone. It's an 80s synth and when using the D-50 and needing an organ patch I wouldn't pass on the song because the patch is useless. The third party patches like Valhalla in particular. wink

#2878239 - 09/10/17 08:04 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Other than polyphony, my biggest issue with the entire line is the interface. The mini jacks bother me more than the small knobs and sliders.

#2878246 - 09/10/17 09:23 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: joegerardi]
dazzjazz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney
Ha! I miss my KX76.

Originally Posted By: joegerardi
Originally Posted By: dazzjazz
30 years ago (Jesus!) I gigged with a D50 then, as I didn't like the action, switched to the D550 rack driven by a KX76, which was heaven.

Wow! I might have written this. I did the exact same thing!

..Joe

#2878260 - 09/10/17 12:16 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: RABid]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
Aren't these sort of sounds pretty nicely covered by the FA/Integra series these days?

#2878262 - 09/10/17 12:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Marillo]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Marillo
Aren't these sort of sounds pretty nicely covered by the FA/Integra series these days?

Good question. Wondering the same thing.

OTOH, Integra is close to $1000 while D-05 is $350 and can be tossed into a backpack for mobile usage - running on AA batteries.

#2878263 - 09/10/17 12:49 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Marillo]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Marillo

Someone who just needs a smattering of approximations of the most popular D50 sounds may find them in that other gear, to a greater or lesser extent depending on what they're looking for. But someone who wants the full library of sounds, as accurately as possible, with all the same editing/programming functionality as the original, will not. Just as some people are fine with some popular Minimoog-style sounds in their rompler or roughly moogish sounds in whatever VA synth, while others want, if not a Minimoog, at least an SE-02 (or Berhinger).

#2878281 - 09/10/17 04:02 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Well. the rule of unintended consequences?

After pondering this thread, got way into Roland sounds, and thus the Integra-7. The D-50 and D-05 are sonic subsets of what this bad boy can do. And short money, all in.

Oh yes, and a breath controller and I would be dangerous!

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2878283 - 09/10/17 04:27 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: cphollis]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Manufacturers are capitalizing on 80s synth nostalgia again. laugh

Sure, a few younger musos will buy the D-05 too but it is those of us with fond memories of the 80s who will line up to Digital Native Dance. grin cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2878289 - 09/10/17 05:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ProfD]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Yes, I never saw such an outpouring of GAS for what I thought was a fondly-remembered but (sound-wise) much-forgotten synth!

"If Roland releases it they will come..."

Uh... I didn't mean it that way... really! smile

#2878293 - 09/10/17 06:12 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Reezekeys]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hats off to Roland. Since that management buyout a few years back they've turned this ship around. Sure beats regurgitating the same stuff with incremental updates.

Busch.

#2878303 - 09/10/17 07:47 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ProfD]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ProfD

Sure, a few younger musos will buy the D-05 too but it is those of us with fond memories of the 80s who will line up to Digital Native Dance. grin cool

I had to watch the Eric Persing video from Roland's D-50 Celebration series. It includes a breakdown of that patch, as well as other famous patches that he made - didn't realize the D-50 had wavetables too, not just conventional samples:

From a nostalgia perspective I enjoyed the Jimmy Jam and Mike Lindup videos. I learned that Lindup's touring "workstation" - this was before the Korg M1 so no workstation keyboards - was a D-50 and TR-505 drum machine. He'd lug them from hotel room to hotel room.

#2878314 - 09/10/17 09:38 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver
Originally Posted By: ProfD

I had to watch the Eric Persing video from Roland's D-50 Celebration series. It includes a breakdown of that patch, as well as other famous patches that he made - didn't realize the D-50 had wavetables too, not just conventional samples:

Those patches that combine the 5th are SO cool when you play chords.

Russ Ferrante has a tutorial on chord stacking that he says was inspired by hearing such patches.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2878333 - 09/11/17 02:44 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
CEB Offline
10k Club

If you all are going to buy a synth compatible with D-50 Sysex then ......

https://cultofd50.org/

I just got a large cargo van. Rig size is irrelevant. I think I'm bringing the D-50 back out of mothballs. My favorite non OB Jump-esque sound ever is Valhalla's JP 8 Brass on the studio series Top 40 card.

Before I got my XB-2 and if I didn't have a Hammond my goto organ sound was my own patch called Ed's Rotor. In 1987-91 the D-50 could do pretty good organ.

I could program the hell out of the D-50 as opposed to the DX. But the D-50 and DX together were an absolutely killer combination. It was the D-50 that made the DX-7 great.

Edited by CEB (09/11/17 02:57 AM)

#2878340 - 09/11/17 04:09 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
b3keys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Finleyville,PA,UNITED STATES
I wonder when the hybrid ACB/DCB boutiques will launch? JX8P/JX10 seem likely candidates.

#2878342 - 09/11/17 04:22 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: b3keys]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Originally Posted By: b3keys
I wonder when the hybrid ACB/DCB boutiques will launch? JX8P/JX10 seem likely candidates.

I'm hoping Roland will offer a JX-10 plug-out for the System 8. grin cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2878383 - 09/11/17 08:27 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hats off to Roland. Since that management buyout a few years back they've turned this ship around. Sure beats regurgitating the same stuff with incremental updates.

Busch.

Oh yeah, forgot about the management buyout.

Wonder if some Boutique version of the V-Synth is in the works - presumably minus the D-50 card option. I wouldn't be surprised though if Roland considers that line to be a dead end, as their VA tech has gotten a lot better, and not too many synth buyers want to do the Time Trip thing.

#2878384 - 09/11/17 08:29 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ProfD]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Nice they are bringing out all these retro devices at a reasonable price. But who was the genius that decided to place the volume knob on the back?

#2878391 - 09/11/17 09:37 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Sam Mullins]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Roland is learning and improving this line as it progresses. With the first few, like the JP-08, they didn't really capture the physical look of the original. The sliders, knobs and switches are all different. The JP-08 lacks that iconic color scheme.

With the D-05, TR-08, SH-01A, TR-09 and TB-03 they've done a much better job recreating the vibe of the originals with knobs/switches/sliders all pretty much just like the original in smaller size.

Busch.

#2878403 - 09/11/17 10:43 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
When I was old enough (high school) to buy my first synth, the D50 had just come out. And man, it was like there was nothing else in the store when I went to look at it. The sales-guys were just drooling over it (and of course, the programmer). It was totally unfair - so far out of my price range, but damn if it wasn't the holy grail. I ended up buying a used DX-7 (from someone who was selling to buy a D-50, of course). By the time the D50 came out, the DX was already dated.....I've always considered it as "The one that got away."
Looks like they did a solid job with this module and I'm sure they will capture the interest of folks like me (especially at that price point). Now, my Jupiter 80 pretty much has all those sounds built in (except that damn Digital Native Dance!!!) And much more to boot. But, this thing is certainly tugging at my nostalgic side!

#2878425 - 09/11/17 12:33 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ABECK]
BRW Offline

I love how there's a new preset on the D-05 called "MoonStrutter Bass". cool The D-50 was famously used on the BAD album, which, coincidentally is having its own 30th anniversary.

#2878433 - 09/11/17 01:04 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: BRW]
CEB Offline
10k Club

The sounds that hooked me in the store I was never able to use. LOL. Fantasia, Native Digital Dance, etc... Eric Persing is a genius.

I liked the Shakuhachi patch a lot. I assume it was used in the intro to the slow Clapton version of After Midnight from the 88 Michelob commercial. I covered it just I could use the patch. LOL. It does faux heavy poly analog really well for a digital synth.

I wonder if I will be disappointed in D-05 because a huge aspect was the way I used the after touch action on the D-50. Yeah maybe most the sound available are available for my FA-06 but that donkey no AT action on the FA can't play the sounds right.

My K2-88 has a lot of empty top space to sit the D-05.

PS Attn. Roland Please do not bother with a boutique D-70. The 70 was not a pimple on the ass of the 50.

Edited by CEB (09/11/17 01:12 PM)

#2878450 - 09/11/17 02:21 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like these D-50 patches that emulate Gary Numan sounds. Created by a guy who used D-50 for analog emulation until he got a Virus.

#2878601 - 09/12/17 08:55 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: RABid]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Other than polyphony, my biggest issue with the entire line is the interface. The mini jacks bother me more than the small knobs and sliders.

A small inconvenience.
I found great mini jack CV cable for my SE-02 and Reflex Pedal, and just bought a mini jack to Y breakout cable with 2 x TS Male ends for the D-05.

Eventually I hope for an iPad/Android powerful enough so I can stop building 1U PCs for my rig.
Then these tiny modules and tiny cables will be even better suited.

Use a custom box by American Loopers to mix 4 mono in 1 stereo with a 9volt Battery or wal wart. Solaris and D-05 will go to 2 x Mic Pre inputs on my XITE-1 audio interface.

#2879239 - 09/14/17 12:46 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
In some ways, the D50 is the opposite of the SY77, as the synthesis technology is used for the sustain vs. the attack.

It's interesting that two companies combined the two technologies at around the same time (there were similar devices before the SY77), but in completely different ways.

I have always heard that "Soundtrack" was the most famous patch, as it did such a good job of exemplifying an evolving texture.

#2879259 - 09/14/17 01:31 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
engineerjoel Offline

OH, so now Roland can put both a Sequencer and Arpeggiator in the D-05...for which the D-50 had neither. But Roland can't put the arpeggiator in the JP-08...for which the Jupiter 8 did have.

Doesn't make sense.

#2879260 - 09/14/17 01:32 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: engineerjoel]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Eric Persing has had a unique and influential relationship with Roland Corp for two decades. He started as a product demonstrator in 1984, showing some of Roland's first MIDI instruments. He quickly became involved in the R&D side with Roland Japan, earning the title "Chief Sound Designer", and began contributing his design ideas, real-world studio experience and sound design expertise. Persing's skills have left their mark on countless classic Roland instruments.

He is the originator of many legendary Roland sounds that have become part of the vocabulary and lexicon of musical sound. These include the Factory D-50 sounds such as Fantasia, Soundtrack and Digital Native Dance, a majority of the JV/XP/XV series Classics, all the Factory JD-800 sounds, the original Juno "Hoover" sound and thousands of others.
In this video, we were able to catch up with Eric 30 years after the launch of the D-50 to celebrate his memories of our legendary synth.

#2879403 - 09/15/17 07:16 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Eric Persing has had a unique and influential relationship with Roland Corp for two decades.

See Post 2878303 wink

Edited by GovernorSilver (09/15/17 07:35 AM)

#2879758 - 09/17/17 04:14 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I don't know.....

I preorder the D-05. I'm thinking maybe I should cancel. I've read the manual and parameter guide. It talks about only transferring patches between the D-05 and D-50 via bulk transfers. I'm not wanting to do this. I was looking at building my sound banks in D50 Librarian then doing the Sysex bulk transfers between the computer and D-05. Having to use the D-50 as a middle man sounds like too time consuming and too big a pain in the ass.

Using D-50 Librarian might work. File backup in the D-05 are saved to the computer via Windows but I don't know about Sysex banks.

What is the odds of finding someone at Roland who would answer my question?

Edited by CEB (09/17/17 04:15 AM)

#2879768 - 09/17/17 05:25 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I I've read the manual and parameter guide. It talks about only transferring patches between the D-05 and D-50 via bulk transfers. I'm not wanting to do this. I was looking at building my sound banks in D50 Librarian then doing the Sysex bulk transfers between the computer and D-05. Having to use the D-50 as a middle man sounds like too time consuming and too big a pain in the ass.

Using D-50 Librarian might work. File backup in the D-05 are saved to the computer via Windows but I don't know about Sysex banks.

I don't know this for a fact, but it seems to me that the sysex stream that contains all the correct data would "look" the same to the D05 regardless of whether that stream came from a D50 or from a computer program. I don't think it could tell what kind of device it was hooked up to. These days, yeah, digital devices have all kinds of identifying handshake stuff, such that when you plug something into your computer, your computer can "know" the type/manufacturer/model of the device, but back in the 5-pin DIN MIDI days, that wasn't the case. And it seems to me that the very fact that people could write their own editor/librarian software after the fact means that the devices themselves don't know or care what device is sending/receiving on the other end... it either has data that it recognizes, or it doesn't So as long as the data is the same, I would expect it to work.

But buy from a place with a good return policy. ;-)

#2879777 - 09/17/17 07:35 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
CEB Offline
10k Club

That what I thought. I ordered it from my Sweetwater guy. I think they do OK on returns but I don't know. I never returned anything.

Edited by CEB (09/17/17 07:36 AM)

#2879916 - 09/18/17 04:05 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

That what I thought. I ordered it from my Sweetwater guy. I think they do OK on returns but I don't know. I never returned anything.

Sweetwater took my DM12 after 2 weeks.
They give you 30 days I believe.
After one day of 12 hours making presets I noticed random octave jumps and concluded the fan wasn't cooling the unit properly.

After 12 years of loyal purchases, even when I could go direct to manufacturers they are my go to distributors.
I think the candy they stick in the box hooked me.

#2879917 - 09/18/17 04:20 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Looking forward to mine.
I'm back in Vegas as a sideman again.
Surprised at the amount of DJ Assisted gigs here.
One guy just uses a small Roli and a Symbolic Sound Pacarana.
I might just need Omnisphere Sine Bass with SE-02 attacks.

Shame really, I've put together a very portable powerful 4U synth/sampler rig with Tube soaked stage monitors and I might need a little plastic 37 note controller and Expression Pedal.
3 nights a week pays as much as 6 nights in the non Union lounges.

Even the Sand Dollar is open again.
Probably lots of (yawn, yawn) blues.

#2879928 - 09/18/17 05:20 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: count doerflera]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I'm wondering if Roland has upped the Boutique processing power with this unit.

#2880328 - 09/19/17 07:07 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
Sundown Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
I love that Roland is doing this, but like many others, I'm disappointed that the polyphony is only 16 voices. With a dual patch (which is very common in L/A synthesis), you've got 8 voices to work with, and voice stealing on those old Rolands is pretty audible. 32 would have been a start, but I think 64 voices is really the entry point for a digital synth, recreation or otherwise.

For $350 I might still be tempted to get one, but with my D-20, XV-3080, Korg Legacy, etc., I don't know that it's really filling a hole in my rig. It's just a lovely piece of nostalgia that would bring back memories of when I started playing.

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

#2880368 - 09/20/17 04:55 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've forgotten the back story of "Fantasia." What was sampled for the bell portion of that sound?

#2880902 - 09/22/17 08:31 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2881156 - 09/23/17 01:27 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Sundown Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
I'm bummed about the single 1/8" output (though it's still TRS stereo), and the lack of a 9V power input.

It still has me intrigued, but I don't think it's what my rig really needs.

Now if they did a JX-10 remake, that's another story...

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

#2881179 - 09/23/17 05:26 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Sundown]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sundown
I'm bummed about...the lack of a 9V power input.

Since certainly nobody is expecting an internal power supply in one of these, what's better about a 9V power compared to their use of the now ubiquitous USB power adapter? (You also have the option of running it on batteries.)

#2882158 - 09/28/17 01:36 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
CEB Offline
10k Club

My SW guy called and It's on the way. If you preordered you should start receiving yours also.

Edited by CEB (09/28/17 01:36 PM)

#2882170 - 09/28/17 02:12 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
Devnor Offline

what's better about a 9V power compared to their use of the now ubiquitous USB power adapter?

A 9V, 2.1mm center negative connector would be more robust and could work with most pedal power supplies. I'm building a poor man's Taurus pedals using a Mcmillan 12 step and SE02. On the same board I have 9V EFX pedals with a multi output power supply. It would be convenient to use that instead.

#2882187 - 09/28/17 02:51 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Sundown]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: Sundown
I love that Roland is doing this, but like many others, I'm disappointed that the polyphony is only 16 voices. With a dual patch (which is very common in L/A synthesis), you've got 8 voices to work with, and voice stealing on those old Rolands is pretty audible. 32 would have been a start, but I think 64 voices is really the entry point for a digital synth, recreation or otherwise.

For $350 I might still be tempted to get one, but with my D-20, XV-3080, Korg Legacy, etc., I don't know that it's really filling a hole in my rig. It's just a lovely piece of nostalgia that would bring back memories of when I started playing.

Cīmon ...
That cheapo D05 piece of gear is for the amateurs !
Everyone knows that,- and Roland NEEDS that market urgently (like most others do too).
It sounds very good though,- w/ the exception, the original keyboard- and rack-model sounds a bit more "gritty" (IMO).

But I donīt care much,- so to my ears, it sounds really good.
But all these comparisons w/ the most famous factory patches, I never used when I bought the original new because I already heard these patches everywhere, drive me nuts.

Really,- who cares about if "Digital Native Dance" or all the other factory-patches sound identical to a original item recorded digital and being uploaded on Youtube ?

Soundwise, the D05 will work well as the original did and for tunes requireing that patch/sound.

But the form factor w/ itīs small haptics and the 1/8" audio out tells me itīs a piece of consumer electronics like every of the boutique series Roland synths and ROMplers is and will be,- and that includes the SE-02 as well.

Previously, there wasnīt any pro gear existing using a 1/8" unbalanced audio out,- period.
And when a piece of gear offered a 1/4" unbalanced audio out, it didnīt count to be pro piece of studio gear as well and at all.

When we talk about and compare pro DPs, other workstations or synths, the balanced outputs became a major point since years,- suddenly not anymore. Why ?

I tell you why ...
Itīs because itīs cheap.

Cheap is what the most want,- I donīt !

At least for me, the boutique series is not for pros, even it míght sound good (enough).

As long as my trusty Roland D550 w/ Musitonics speed kit, memory expansion and MIDI multi-mode lives, Iīll use it.
But when it dies, I wonīt go the route of amateur/consumer gear, instead give up that synthesis architecture and move on.

How many line lumps and 1/8" audio outputs, even USB audio outputs, will be accepted by real pros in future and just because companies come out w/ remakes of the 80s and 90s ?

I remember the days USB audio was unacceptable because it introduced jitter and data was sent in packages down the bus, being ASIO time stamped which didnīt work flawlessly all the time,- and it still doesnīt.
Suddenly, itīs the latest/greatest when a piece of (shitty) gear offers USB audio connectivity,- and noone is asking how tight it is.

How comes ?

When it comes the same way it did w/ laptops or other mobile devices, weīll see synths and other gear being miniaturized successfully, but w/ the DSP power of netbooks at best.
For sure, they will be cheap and fullfill the demands on energy savings to save the planet !
And it will come the day users will mention īem sounding FAT !

Well , I really hope I die before it happens !

A.C.

#2882201 - 09/28/17 04:06 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Al Coda]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Word of warning about these Boutiques. They seem easy to overdrive internally. With the JU-06 and the volume set full, four notes of polyphony will cause pretty strong breakup distortion. I'm not overdriving the inputs to my audio interface. It must be overdriving the DAC. You'll hear it most easily with fat, filtered pads. Running the volume knob at ~12:00 is probably best, at least with the JU-06. When I try to run the TR-08 into the JU-06, it's easy to overdrive, apparently the inputs to the JU-06, here as well.

Unless things changed with the D-05, users should be aware of this potential. It's possible Roland is doing a better job with the later units.

Busch.

#2882204 - 09/28/17 04:11 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
CEB Offline
10k Club

That sort of sucks to hear. A huge part of what I want to use it for is these huge fat JP-8ish and OBish style poly synth patches I have.

Thank for the warning.

Edited by CEB (09/28/17 04:11 PM)

#2882209 - 09/28/17 05:09 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

I accept that the D-05 is built as much with the amateur EDM laptop crowd in mind as not. For my purposes, its going to be plugged in and then left sitting where it is with a dust cover on duty, not hauled about in a backpack. Its also an investment in the means to build a major EXS24 library by applying Autosampler to it. If I want to tackle an outboard D-50 editor for a while and build some custom sets (which I do), that ups the ante. For me, those ideas change the complexion of the drawbacks.

#2882215 - 09/28/17 05:31 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: David Emm]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Looks like they're shipping at SW.

Busch.

#2882219 - 09/28/17 05:43 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That sort of sucks to hear. A huge part of what I want to use it for is these huge fat JP-8ish and OBish style poly synth patches I have.

Thank for the warning.

Did you notice he was actually talking about the JU-06 and not the D-05?

He hasn't gotten his D-05 yet.

#2882238 - 09/28/17 07:09 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I know. They just started shipping today. I'm expecting the the entire platform to share similar headroom characteristics.

#2882294 - 09/29/17 06:46 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, wonderful. Just when I was going to order one. mad

#2882300 - 09/29/17 07:10 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Look, the D-05 could very well be different. They're recreating a digital synth vs. analog plus the JU-06 was one of the first in the series.

Busch.

#2882301 - 09/29/17 07:12 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know. They just started shipping today. I'm expecting the the entire platform to share similar headroom characteristics.

I'll believe it when he reports it on the D-05 rather than the JU.

I realize all those famous people endorsing the D-05 probably got paid to do it, but I think there's a limit to that.. if the product is crappy enough, they're not going to want their faces associated with it, for any amount of money Roland can afford to pay them.

#2882304 - 09/29/17 07:15 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

My D-05 will be here Monday.
If it sucks I Box it back up and give it to my son for Christmas...

#2882305 - 09/29/17 07:17 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Look, the D-05 could very well be different. They're recreating a digital synth vs. analog plus the JU-06 was one of the first in the series.

Busch.

And if it is not ..... If you have ample headroom at the mixer I think you should be fine for live use. The way I will use it I THINK the I/O and build quality will be fine. It will secured to a rack shelf. The direct cabling will be firmly secured to the shelf. All the plugging and unplugging will be done at a redco front patch panel. I'll never even flip the power on and off. That will be handled at the Furman. I'm just praying the Librarian talks to the D-05. If not this thing just got a whole lot more labor intensive. I don't even have my D-50 at home. It's at a storage place with a bunch of other old boards I just never had the heart to sell.

Edited by CEB (09/29/17 07:23 AM)

#2882318 - 09/29/17 07:55 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Looking forward to the hands-on reviews.

#2882557 - 09/30/17 04:42 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I haven't been able to overdrive anything yet.

#2882563 - 09/30/17 05:07 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My D-05 hit the doorstep late afternoon yesterday. Earlier in the day brother Redkey advised that they started shipping, and I checked my email and sure enough it was on its way. Didn't expect it to land until Monday but a very pleasant surprise. Spent a good hour or so playing it today, had a fun trip back to the 1980s. The display is a cool vibe, it looks like the original.

I played all of the programs, and I can confirm they are faithful to the original. Much better than the Synth Legends/Axial programs I loaded into my Jupiter-80 or any other "D-50" replica programs I've heard on other synths. I gigged with a D-550 for many years, and although I haven't played it in a long while, I still feel I had a good reference point. Polyphony was not at all an issue.

Getting nit-picky, I felt perhaps some patches were not quite as fat (not that the D-50 was necessarily a "fat" synth) or as smooth as what I recall on my D-550, and that I may need to tame some of that '80s reverb a bit on some programs. I had to boost the volume on the channel of my amp the D-05 was plugged into, relative to the other the synths I was playing (Nord Stage, Kronos) to make the levels even. I had the volume on the D-05 wide open but didn't notice any distortion. I never really got into programming my D-550 (preset junkie) so I can't comment on those type of issues. I found all of my favorite patches I formerly used and look forward to integrating those into my rig again. Bottom line, it's a keeper. If you would like to have D-50 programs in your rig, you will dig this thing!

#2882576 - 09/30/17 06:25 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Moonglow]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I'm on break. I just decided what the hell and I'm winging it. I don't have all the adapters and cabling to set it up the way I want. I'm just running it into the Audio in on the FA-06 and controlling it from the Kronos. It's a keeper.

#2882580 - 09/30/17 07:23 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

I forgot it requires the mini stereo output. And I needed to find 4 AA batteries.

Once I scrounged up a stereo mini to dual RCA I was in business.

I'm running the D-05 output into the Montage A/D inputs and it sounds incredible. Montage into Radial JDI Duplex into the PA.

Brings back some great memories and having fun imitating some of the old Grusin sounds mixing with FM and piano.

Hammond SK1-73

#2882672 - 10/01/17 01:27 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Batteries should be in the box. They are recessed in the foam so look carefully.

#2882685 - 10/01/17 03:19 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: RABid]
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

Batteries should be in the box. They are recessed in the foam so look carefully.

You are correct, Sir! I found them. Thanks!!

Hammond SK1-73

#2883381 - 10/04/17 08:39 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

People on the Boutique FB page are complaining the D-05 is much quieter than the other Boutiques. Could be Roland addressed the issue I posted above. They see it as a flaw, I don't.

Busch.

#2883532 - 10/05/17 06:04 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Quiet?
They need a 3.5mm Stereo to Y Insert cable.
My D-05 sounds big and fat or I would have ditched it.

Each Boutique has its own glass tempered blue light USB Hub/Monitor stand.
Same exact width of an ATA Case.

#2883552 - 10/05/17 09:11 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: hardware
Quiet?
They need a 3.5mm Stereo to Y Insert cable.
My D-05 sounds big and fat or I would have ditched it.

Each Boutique has its own glass tempered blue light USB Hub/Monitor stand.
Same exact width of an ATA Case.

They aren't talking big and fat, only output gain relative to other Boutiques.

Busch.

#2883575 - 10/06/17 05:32 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's disappointing. My old D-50 had some serious power. w00t

#2883577 - 10/06/17 05:41 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
CEB Offline
10k Club

This is true but it is on par with all the other pieces in my rig.

I've been running it in clean mode, it seems to sit better in my Combis in clean mode.

#2883603 - 10/06/17 08:06 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ah, so nobody is using the classic/vintage mode

#2883608 - 10/06/17 08:18 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This is true but it is on par with all the other pieces in my rig....

Hmm. I had to crank my D-05 about 25-30% more relative to the other keyboards in my rig. I did not have to do this with my JU-06.

#2883618 - 10/06/17 08:47 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Moonglow]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I was referring to the keyboard sub-mix.

In the submix it is balanced. I run the D-05 wide open. The other boards are around 50%. Headroom on the rack mixer is fine. If I need more volume from the D-05 I can get it from the rack mixer.

Maybe this was the fix for the distortion issue in other boutiques. smile

Edited by CEB (10/06/17 08:49 AM)

#2883873 - 10/08/17 09:42 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

I wouldn't even use Batteries, and I have a dozen of each size in Lithium I carry for pedals, mics, etc.
USB power works great.

Would love to hear from someone who successfully upgraded to 1.03 System from the Roland site.
I'm on 8.1 so I tried it first, then 7 and even their W10 drivers.
It freezes on the last page of the wizard installer.

This doesn't keep me from using the unit, but it does keep me from buying an editor, or an expensive hardware PG1000.
Wish Roland was more forthcoming on their plans for an editor.
Rumor is the SE-02 will have one, but D-05 MIDI is nowhere near as well designed as SE-02, hence the need for modifications.
Unless you're a factory brass kind of guy.

#2883892 - 10/08/17 11:57 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I never put batteries in mine. I plug it into a 2.5A USB charger.

#2883914 - 10/08/17 02:11 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

So nobody here yet found time to install the 1.03 System update or Roland Driver Folder?

Didn't want to have to keep asking, just curious about the freeze on the last page of the installer.
Others have experienced this too.

Also who is recalling presets using MSB and LSB?
Or do you just create a user bank and avoid Bank recall.

#2883923 - 10/08/17 03:20 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

So nobody here yet found time to install the 1.03 System update or Roland Driver Folder?

Didn't want to have to keep asking, just curious about the freeze on the last page of the installer.
Others have experienced this too.

I was able to install both the driver and the 1.03 System update but I'm using a PowerMac.

Which part of the system update failed? Because on either Windows or Mac it's just a matter of plugging the D-05 USB into the computer, powering up holding Patch8, and it shows up as a drive and you drag and drop the System file onto the drive. Final install pressing Patch 8.

Edited by JazzPiano88 (10/08/17 03:21 PM)

Hammond SK1-73

#2883976 - 10/08/17 08:36 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks for answering.
It's the Drive Folder Installation that doesn't complete.

Most exe files when loading data have back/next buttons grayed out until the "next" button becomes highlighted.
If I hit cancel after waiting several minutes it automatically uninstalls the folder and reboots.
I can see the drive Folder in C:/Program Files, open it up, but it just never finishes loading the data.
After reboot the Folder is gone, and is uninstalled in Control Panel/Programs too.

I ordered specific high quality USB Cables as a last resort.
It has to be because I possibly have a Phone Charging Cable instead of a USB 2 w/ Micro connector.
I bought these from Amazon because I wanted 6 inch cables to use with my USB/LCD Hub.

I'll post back later to verify what's up.

Cheers

#2883986 - 10/08/17 10:30 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
DicemLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
I've been having a lot of fun with mine. It's funny, my D-50 was been out-of-service for quite some time. I just got it up and running a couple months ago.. good thing it only cost me $20. This module is pretty dead on. A little noisy maybe?? (or could just be my signal chain that day).

#2884020 - 10/09/17 05:57 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Not yet. That is the plan. I won't get around to it for a couple of weeks because I'm playing too much. The plan was to put it on a rack shelf and call everything from the Kronos.

On the D-05 Facebook group someone gave a positive report on interfacing the D-05 with editors librarian. Evidently "The Shift key is your friend." It seems it was not straight forward at first and caused this particular gentleman some frustration.

Edited by CEB (10/09/17 05:58 AM)

#2884215 - 10/10/17 08:31 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

On the D-05 Facebook group someone gave a positive report on interfacing the D-05 with editors librarian.

Is this an editor/librarian supplied by Roland with the D-05?

#2884288 - 10/10/17 01:10 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Bought a quality USB 2 micro Male and everything installed fine.
Time for a hardware PG1000.

#2884292 - 10/10/17 01:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks

I had one and sold it quickly even I own a D550 ītil today.
IIRC, it didnīt work realtime as we expect "realtime" to be.
You at least run SCOPE on a Windows PC when gigging, so why not using VPG 1000 and the librarian ...
Itīs free, performs realtime editing and runs on Win XP and higher and Linux as well.

Found a quote from another webpage confirming it doesnīt work "realtime" really.
PG1000

quote:

"PROGRAMMER pretty straightforward to use and all functions are clear and labeled: surely this little box can help you to access deeply hidden parameters transforming the D-50 in a kind of Roland JD-800. Sadly sliders cannot be really used for real-time tricks (like common cutoff) : first of all we are talking Midi Sysex, so the internal memory buffer goes quickly out of space, then, the sliders edits affect only the following triggered note."

A.C.

#2884351 - 10/11/17 03:19 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: GhostlySilver

On the D-05 Facebook group someone gave a positive report on interfacing the D-05 with editors librarian.

Joe does this:
I had a devil of a time figuring this out.

I am on a Mac, OS 10.13 High Sierra, using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, and hooked the D-05 via MIDI and directly. This method works both ways. You need to start the bulk load operation, first by turning off INT MEM PROTECT, and then while you are about to hit the function button for BULK LOAD, hit SHIFT. This makes the screen say BULK LOAD (One Way)...

Then you use whichever software (I am using SysEx Librarian) to dump the sysex to the D-05.

Jamie is running this setup
Took me awhile to figure this out too using the shift "one way" mode.

Been doing a little testing with my Midi Quest D-50 (Windows) editor and it works, mostly. Has a few little odd quirks with getting banks and program change, but nothing you can't work around. Hopefully they will make a D-05 friendly version/update.

iPG-800 app works great for editing only. No issues with it so far.

Edited by CEB (10/11/17 06:59 AM)

#2884352 - 10/11/17 03:41 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Woke up at 2:00 AM again. Read the parameter guide.

MSB=087. LSB=000-013. The user banks are first 000-007. Preset banks are 008-013. I hopefully will get some time to set this up Sunday. I kind of wish I had a mini keyboard with 5 pin DIN around the house. I would just setup shop on my bed.

Edited by CEB (10/11/17 06:58 AM)

#2884375 - 10/11/17 06:48 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GhostlySilver

Joe does this:
I had a devil of a time figuring this out.

I am on a Mac, OS 10.13 High Sierra, using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, and hooked the D-05 via MIDI and directly. This method works both ways. You need to start the bulk load operation, first by turning off INT MEM PROTECT, and then while you are about to hit the function button for BULK LOAD, hit SHIFT. This makes the screen say BULK LOAD (One Way)...

Then you use whichever software (I am using SysEx Librarian) to dump the sysex to the D-05.

Jamie is running this setup
Took me awhile to figure this out too using the shift "one way" mode.

Been doing a little testing with my Midi Quest D-50 (Windows) editor and it works, mostly. Has a few little odd quirks with getting banks and program change, but nothing you can't work around. Hopefully they will make a D-05 friendly version/update.

iPG-800 app works great for editing only. No issues with it so far.

So it's 3rd party software. Not software provided by Roland.

#2884378 - 10/11/17 06:57 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Correct. I use D50 Libarian that I provided the link to in this thread .... or maybe the other thread ... or maybe both threads.

I bought the D-05 with the hopes of using it with my existing D-50 resources. It looks like it should work based on the successes others are having.

Edited by CEB (10/11/17 06:57 AM)

#2884590 - 10/12/17 07:08 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

#2884843 - 10/13/17 11:31 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Al Coda]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Al Coda

I had one and sold it quickly even I own a D550 ītil today.
IIRC, it didnīt work realtime as we expect "realtime" to be.
You at least run SCOPE on a Windows PC when gigging, so why not using VPG 1000 and the librarian ...
Itīs free, performs realtime editing and runs on Win XP and higher and Linux as well.

Found a quote from another webpage confirming it doesnīt work "realtime" really.
PG1000

quote:

"PROGRAMMER pretty straightforward to use and all functions are clear and labeled: surely this little box can help you to access deeply hidden parameters transforming the D-50 in a kind of Roland JD-800. Sadly sliders cannot be really used for real-time tricks (like common cutoff) : first of all we are talking Midi Sysex, so the internal memory buffer goes quickly out of space, then, the sliders edits affect only the following triggered note."

A.C.

Thanks AC

I just boxed mine up and sent it to Hardware Jr. (son)

Decided to run a pair of SE-02s in chain mode.
Didn't really need the D-05 but always liked it.
But I'm working with 2 DJs now and it's just not as important as having a DuoPhonic lead / Bass sound.
I was going to do tributes or get into a show but what a bore.
DJs got the best gigs at the best clubs with the best pay with the finest trim.

Let others do these Elvis gigs.
I like it loud and FAT.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner