Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2878601 - 09/12/17 08:55 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: RABid]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Originally Posted By: RABid
Other than polyphony, my biggest issue with the entire line is the interface. The mini jacks bother me more than the small knobs and sliders.

A small inconvenience.
I found great mini jack CV cable for my SE-02 and Reflex Pedal, and just bought a mini jack to Y breakout cable with 2 x TS Male ends for the D-05.

Eventually I hope for an iPad/Android powerful enough so I can stop building 1U PCs for my rig.
Then these tiny modules and tiny cables will be even better suited.

Use a custom box by American Loopers to mix 4 mono in 1 stereo with a 9volt Battery or wal wart. Solaris and D-05 will go to 2 x Mic Pre inputs on my XITE-1 audio interface.

KC Island
#2879239 - 09/14/17 12:46 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
In some ways, the D50 is the opposite of the SY77, as the synthesis technology is used for the sustain vs. the attack.

It's interesting that two companies combined the two technologies at around the same time (there were similar devices before the SY77), but in completely different ways.

I have always heard that "Soundtrack" was the most famous patch, as it did such a good job of exemplifying an evolving texture.

#2879259 - 09/14/17 01:31 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
engineerjoel Offline

OH, so now Roland can put both a Sequencer and Arpeggiator in the D-05...for which the D-50 had neither. But Roland can't put the arpeggiator in the JP-08...for which the Jupiter 8 did have.

Doesn't make sense.

#2879260 - 09/14/17 01:32 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: engineerjoel]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

Eric Persing has had a unique and influential relationship with Roland Corp for two decades. He started as a product demonstrator in 1984, showing some of Roland's first MIDI instruments. He quickly became involved in the R&D side with Roland Japan, earning the title "Chief Sound Designer", and began contributing his design ideas, real-world studio experience and sound design expertise. Persing's skills have left their mark on countless classic Roland instruments.

He is the originator of many legendary Roland sounds that have become part of the vocabulary and lexicon of musical sound. These include the Factory D-50 sounds such as Fantasia, Soundtrack and Digital Native Dance, a majority of the JV/XP/XV series Classics, all the Factory JD-800 sounds, the original Juno "Hoover" sound and thousands of others.
In this video, we were able to catch up with Eric 30 years after the launch of the D-50 to celebrate his memories of our legendary synth.

#2879403 - 09/15/17 07:16 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd

Eric Persing has had a unique and influential relationship with Roland Corp for two decades.

See Post 2878303 wink

Edited by GovernorSilver (09/15/17 07:35 AM)

#2879758 - 09/17/17 04:14 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I don't know.....

I preorder the D-05. I'm thinking maybe I should cancel. I've read the manual and parameter guide. It talks about only transferring patches between the D-05 and D-50 via bulk transfers. I'm not wanting to do this. I was looking at building my sound banks in D50 Librarian then doing the Sysex bulk transfers between the computer and D-05. Having to use the D-50 as a middle man sounds like too time consuming and too big a pain in the ass.

Using D-50 Librarian might work. File backup in the D-05 are saved to the computer via Windows but I don't know about Sysex banks.

What is the odds of finding someone at Roland who would answer my question?

Edited by CEB (09/17/17 04:15 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2879768 - 09/17/17 05:25 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: CEB
I I've read the manual and parameter guide. It talks about only transferring patches between the D-05 and D-50 via bulk transfers. I'm not wanting to do this. I was looking at building my sound banks in D50 Librarian then doing the Sysex bulk transfers between the computer and D-05. Having to use the D-50 as a middle man sounds like too time consuming and too big a pain in the ass.

Using D-50 Librarian might work. File backup in the D-05 are saved to the computer via Windows but I don't know about Sysex banks.

I don't know this for a fact, but it seems to me that the sysex stream that contains all the correct data would "look" the same to the D05 regardless of whether that stream came from a D50 or from a computer program. I don't think it could tell what kind of device it was hooked up to. These days, yeah, digital devices have all kinds of identifying handshake stuff, such that when you plug something into your computer, your computer can "know" the type/manufacturer/model of the device, but back in the 5-pin DIN MIDI days, that wasn't the case. And it seems to me that the very fact that people could write their own editor/librarian software after the fact means that the devices themselves don't know or care what device is sending/receiving on the other end... it either has data that it recognizes, or it doesn't So as long as the data is the same, I would expect it to work.

But buy from a place with a good return policy. ;-)

#2879777 - 09/17/17 07:35 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
CEB Offline
10k Club

That what I thought. I ordered it from my Sweetwater guy. I think they do OK on returns but I don't know. I never returned anything.

Edited by CEB (09/17/17 07:36 AM)

#2879916 - 09/18/17 04:05 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

That what I thought. I ordered it from my Sweetwater guy. I think they do OK on returns but I don't know. I never returned anything.

Sweetwater took my DM12 after 2 weeks.
They give you 30 days I believe.
After one day of 12 hours making presets I noticed random octave jumps and concluded the fan wasn't cooling the unit properly.

After 12 years of loyal purchases, even when I could go direct to manufacturers they are my go to distributors.
I think the candy they stick in the box hooked me.

#2879917 - 09/18/17 04:20 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: hardware]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Looking forward to mine.
I'm back in Vegas as a sideman again.
Surprised at the amount of DJ Assisted gigs here.
One guy just uses a small Roli and a Symbolic Sound Pacarana.
I might just need Omnisphere Sine Bass with SE-02 attacks.

Shame really, I've put together a very portable powerful 4U synth/sampler rig with Tube soaked stage monitors and I might need a little plastic 37 note controller and Expression Pedal.
3 nights a week pays as much as 6 nights in the non Union lounges.

Even the Sand Dollar is open again.
Probably lots of (yawn, yawn) blues.

#2879928 - 09/18/17 05:20 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: count doerflera]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I'm wondering if Roland has upped the Boutique processing power with this unit.

#2880328 - 09/19/17 07:07 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
Sundown Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
I love that Roland is doing this, but like many others, I'm disappointed that the polyphony is only 16 voices. With a dual patch (which is very common in L/A synthesis), you've got 8 voices to work with, and voice stealing on those old Rolands is pretty audible. 32 would have been a start, but I think 64 voices is really the entry point for a digital synth, recreation or otherwise.

For $350 I might still be tempted to get one, but with my D-20, XV-3080, Korg Legacy, etc., I don't know that it's really filling a hole in my rig. It's just a lovely piece of nostalgia that would bring back memories of when I started playing.

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

#2880368 - 09/20/17 04:55 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I've forgotten the back story of "Fantasia." What was sampled for the bell portion of that sound?

#2880902 - 09/22/17 08:31 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

#2881156 - 09/23/17 01:27 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Sundown Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
I'm bummed about the single 1/8" output (though it's still TRS stereo), and the lack of a 9V power input.

It still has me intrigued, but I don't think it's what my rig really needs.

Now if they did a JX-10 remake, that's another story...

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

#2881179 - 09/23/17 05:26 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Sundown]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sundown
I'm bummed about...the lack of a 9V power input.

Since certainly nobody is expecting an internal power supply in one of these, what's better about a 9V power compared to their use of the now ubiquitous USB power adapter? (You also have the option of running it on batteries.)

#2882158 - 09/28/17 01:36 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
CEB Offline
10k Club

My SW guy called and It's on the way. If you preordered you should start receiving yours also.

Edited by CEB (09/28/17 01:36 PM)

#2882170 - 09/28/17 02:12 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
Devnor Offline

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
what's better about a 9V power compared to their use of the now ubiquitous USB power adapter?

A 9V, 2.1mm center negative connector would be more robust and could work with most pedal power supplies. I'm building a poor man's Taurus pedals using a Mcmillan 12 step and SE02. On the same board I have 9V EFX pedals with a multi output power supply. It would be convenient to use that instead.

#2882187 - 09/28/17 02:51 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Sundown]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: Sundown
I love that Roland is doing this, but like many others, I'm disappointed that the polyphony is only 16 voices. With a dual patch (which is very common in L/A synthesis), you've got 8 voices to work with, and voice stealing on those old Rolands is pretty audible. 32 would have been a start, but I think 64 voices is really the entry point for a digital synth, recreation or otherwise.

For $350 I might still be tempted to get one, but with my D-20, XV-3080, Korg Legacy, etc., I don't know that it's really filling a hole in my rig. It's just a lovely piece of nostalgia that would bring back memories of when I started playing.

Cīmon ...
That cheapo D05 piece of gear is for the amateurs !
Everyone knows that,- and Roland NEEDS that market urgently (like most others do too).
It sounds very good though,- w/ the exception, the original keyboard- and rack-model sounds a bit more "gritty" (IMO).

But I donīt care much,- so to my ears, it sounds really good.
But all these comparisons w/ the most famous factory patches, I never used when I bought the original new because I already heard these patches everywhere, drive me nuts.

Really,- who cares about if "Digital Native Dance" or all the other factory-patches sound identical to a original item recorded digital and being uploaded on Youtube ?

Soundwise, the D05 will work well as the original did and for tunes requireing that patch/sound.

But the form factor w/ itīs small haptics and the 1/8" audio out tells me itīs a piece of consumer electronics like every of the boutique series Roland synths and ROMplers is and will be,- and that includes the SE-02 as well.

Previously, there wasnīt any pro gear existing using a 1/8" unbalanced audio out,- period.
And when a piece of gear offered a 1/4" unbalanced audio out, it didnīt count to be pro piece of studio gear as well and at all.

When we talk about and compare pro DPs, other workstations or synths, the balanced outputs became a major point since years,- suddenly not anymore. Why ?

I tell you why ...
Itīs because itīs cheap.

Cheap is what the most want,- I donīt !

At least for me, the boutique series is not for pros, even it míght sound good (enough).

As long as my trusty Roland D550 w/ Musitonics speed kit, memory expansion and MIDI multi-mode lives, Iīll use it.
But when it dies, I wonīt go the route of amateur/consumer gear, instead give up that synthesis architecture and move on.

How many line lumps and 1/8" audio outputs, even USB audio outputs, will be accepted by real pros in future and just because companies come out w/ remakes of the 80s and 90s ?

I remember the days USB audio was unacceptable because it introduced jitter and data was sent in packages down the bus, being ASIO time stamped which didnīt work flawlessly all the time,- and it still doesnīt.
Suddenly, itīs the latest/greatest when a piece of (shitty) gear offers USB audio connectivity,- and noone is asking how tight it is.

How comes ?

When it comes the same way it did w/ laptops or other mobile devices, weīll see synths and other gear being miniaturized successfully, but w/ the DSP power of netbooks at best.
For sure, they will be cheap and fullfill the demands on energy savings to save the planet !
And it will come the day users will mention īem sounding FAT !

Well , I really hope I die before it happens !

A.C.

#2882201 - 09/28/17 04:06 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Al Coda]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Word of warning about these Boutiques. They seem easy to overdrive internally. With the JU-06 and the volume set full, four notes of polyphony will cause pretty strong breakup distortion. I'm not overdriving the inputs to my audio interface. It must be overdriving the DAC. You'll hear it most easily with fat, filtered pads. Running the volume knob at ~12:00 is probably best, at least with the JU-06. When I try to run the TR-08 into the JU-06, it's easy to overdrive, apparently the inputs to the JU-06, here as well.

Unless things changed with the D-05, users should be aware of this potential. It's possible Roland is doing a better job with the later units.

Busch.

#2882204 - 09/28/17 04:11 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
CEB Offline
10k Club

That sort of sucks to hear. A huge part of what I want to use it for is these huge fat JP-8ish and OBish style poly synth patches I have.

Thank for the warning.

Edited by CEB (09/28/17 04:11 PM)

#2882209 - 09/28/17 05:09 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: On Mars, due to GPS error
I accept that the D-05 is built as much with the amateur EDM laptop crowd in mind as not. For my purposes, its going to be plugged in and then left sitting where it is with a dust cover on duty, not hauled about in a backpack. Its also an investment in the means to build a major EXS24 library by applying Autosampler to it. If I want to tackle an outboard D-50 editor for a while and build some custom sets (which I do), that ups the ante. For me, those ideas change the complexion of the drawbacks.

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2882215 - 09/28/17 05:31 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: David Emm]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Looks like they're shipping at SW.

Busch.

#2882219 - 09/28/17 05:43 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That sort of sucks to hear. A huge part of what I want to use it for is these huge fat JP-8ish and OBish style poly synth patches I have.

Thank for the warning.

Did you notice he was actually talking about the JU-06 and not the D-05?

He hasn't gotten his D-05 yet.

#2882238 - 09/28/17 07:09 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I know. They just started shipping today. I'm expecting the the entire platform to share similar headroom characteristics.

#2882294 - 09/29/17 06:46 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Oh, wonderful. Just when I was going to order one. mad

#2882300 - 09/29/17 07:10 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Synthoid]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Look, the D-05 could very well be different. They're recreating a digital synth vs. analog plus the JU-06 was one of the first in the series.

Busch.

#2882301 - 09/29/17 07:12 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know. They just started shipping today. I'm expecting the the entire platform to share similar headroom characteristics.

I'll believe it when he reports it on the D-05 rather than the JU.

I realize all those famous people endorsing the D-05 probably got paid to do it, but I think there's a limit to that.. if the product is crappy enough, they're not going to want their faces associated with it, for any amount of money Roland can afford to pay them.

#2882304 - 09/29/17 07:15 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

My D-05 will be here Monday.
If it sucks I Box it back up and give it to my son for Christmas...

#2882305 - 09/29/17 07:17 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
Look, the D-05 could very well be different. They're recreating a digital synth vs. analog plus the JU-06 was one of the first in the series.

Busch.

And if it is not ..... If you have ample headroom at the mixer I think you should be fine for live use. The way I will use it I THINK the I/O and build quality will be fine. It will secured to a rack shelf. The direct cabling will be firmly secured to the shelf. All the plugging and unplugging will be done at a redco front patch panel. I'll never even flip the power on and off. That will be handled at the Furman. I'm just praying the Librarian talks to the D-05. If not this thing just got a whole lot more labor intensive. I don't even have my D-50 at home. It's at a storage place with a bunch of other old boards I just never had the heart to sell.

Edited by CEB (09/29/17 07:23 AM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner