Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2878170 - 09/09/17 04:39 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: On Mars, due to GPS error
I mostly live in Logic-world now, but I've been squirming around for a module or mini-synth to add a fresh slant on things. The idea of a MiniNova kept coming around, but the D-05 is closer to home. Through a certain social convolution with a friend, I possessed a D50 for a few months, so having this come along with all of its ROM cards feels like a win. I'll be looking for a Mac editor to push the idea over the top, but its a more flexible synth than many that have come along since it appeared. I know how to tweak it (mostly), so it might be my first new piece of synth hardware in several years. It'd be a great wild card.

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

KC Island
#2878178 - 09/09/17 04:58 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: David Emm]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: David Emm
I mostly live in Logic-world now,
I'll be looking for a Mac editor to push the idea over the top

possibilities...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIRTUAL-PG-1000-editor-programmer-Roland-D-50-D-550-LOGIC-v4-X-/271037969358

http://ctrlr.org/roland-d50-editor/

#2878181 - 09/09/17 05:13 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: On Mars, due to GPS error
Holy bleep, thanks! Its always a high-wire act to dive into a new synth, but I've had great luck with building a couple of personal patch sets based off the presets. That second one when you're still hot for a new toy is usually the best keeper. One of these editors may fill the bill here. Like everyone else, I'll wait on Preve and Nick Batt to pronounce what's what, but I'm cautiously enthused. BTW, T.S. Eliot rocked, but I also think he was nipping laudnum when no one was looking.

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2878184 - 09/09/17 05:55 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: David Emm]
_Maximus_ Offline

Loc: Guatemala
i dont think i've gassed so much for something so niche, i was too young to have messed around with the original, but i know the sounds, ill probably will have to imported from the USA, the current dealer in my country is in the crapper, Man, roland is really getting a lot of miles out of that system on a chip DSP IC that they use on the Boutique series, that being said as cool as that will look on top of the M3, i wish it wouldve been an app instaed

Edited by _Maximus_ (09/09/17 06:28 PM)

#2878186 - 09/09/17 06:19 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Still can't believe the most famous preset "Heaven" is not used in any demo.
I pre ordered one.
SE-02 is so damn good I had to get one.
Size is a plus for me as I have Solaris and a K4 combined as a dual Master MIDI Control set up.
Joystick and Ribbon if Solaris, combined with K4/Reflex Expression means this Dog will hunt.

#2878188 - 09/09/17 06:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: DicemLabs.com]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Only $350 for preorder at Sweetwater.

I had my eye more on the SH-01A for about the same price. Maybe get both? wink

#2878227 - 09/10/17 05:56 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: count doerflera]
Adam C. Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
it even does a respectable organ ftw,

you know them's fighting words around these parts. bang grin

Personally, I still contend that, in a pinch, the D-50 does a passable B-3 impersonation in certain situations. (Particularly in the mix, during a Rock Band-type scenario.) Obviously, it pales in comparison to a real, honest-to-goodness Clonewheel Organ, but for an '80's digital-synth, I don't think that it sounds to badly. (Much more passable than the YAMAHA DX7 and KORG M1 of that same relative timeframe.)

Granted, while the organ presents that initially came with the ROLAND D-50 weren't all that impressive, ("Slow Rotor" & "Rock Organ") the sounds that VALHALA released on their 'Screamin' B3' ROM Card were extremely well done. I've posted it before, but here's a link to a short YouTube tutorial that I made a few years ago showing how to simulate a Leslie speaker using the D-50's own internal Chorus-Effect, (which features a couple of the VALHALA Organ sounds.)

ROLAND D-50 / Hammond B3 Organ Tutorial

#2878228 - 09/10/17 06:11 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: dazzjazz]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: dazzjazz
30 years ago (Jesus!) I gigged with a D50 then, as I didn't like the action, switched to the D550 rack driven by a KX76, which was heaven.

Wow! I might have written this. I did the exact same thing!

..Joe

#2878231 - 09/10/17 06:34 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Adam C.]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Originally Posted By: Adam C.
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
it even does a respectable organ ftw,

you know them's fighting words around these parts. bang grin

Personally, I still contend that, in a pinch, the D-50 does a passable B-3 impersonation in certain situations. (Particularly in the mix, during a Rock Band-type scenario.) Obviously, it pales in comparison to a real, honest-to-goodness Clonewheel Organ, but for an '80's digital-synth, I don't think that it sounds to badly. (Much more passable than the YAMAHA DX7 and KORG M1 of that same relative timeframe.)

Granted, while the organ presents that initially came with the ROLAND D-50 weren't all that impressive, ("Slow Rotor" & "Rock Organ") the sounds that VALHALA released on their 'Screamin' B3' ROM Card were extremely well done. I've posted it before, but here's a link to a short YouTube tutorial that I made a few years ago showing how to simulate a Leslie speaker using the D-50's own internal Chorus-Effect, (which features a couple of the VALHALA Organ sounds.)

ROLAND D-50 / Hammond B3 Organ Tutorial

Most definitely this is, what I was referring to. No it's not a clone. It's an 80s synth and when using the D-50 and needing an organ patch I wouldn't pass on the song because the patch is useless. The third party patches like Valhalla in particular. wink

#2878239 - 09/10/17 08:04 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ElmerJFudd]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Other than polyphony, my biggest issue with the entire line is the interface. The mini jacks bother me more than the small knobs and sliders.

#2878246 - 09/10/17 09:23 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: joegerardi]
dazzjazz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney
Ha! I miss my KX76.

Originally Posted By: joegerardi
Originally Posted By: dazzjazz
30 years ago (Jesus!) I gigged with a D50 then, as I didn't like the action, switched to the D550 rack driven by a KX76, which was heaven.

Wow! I might have written this. I did the exact same thing!

..Joe

#2878260 - 09/10/17 12:16 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: RABid]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
Aren't these sort of sounds pretty nicely covered by the FA/Integra series these days?

#2878262 - 09/10/17 12:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Marillo]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Marillo
Aren't these sort of sounds pretty nicely covered by the FA/Integra series these days?

Good question. Wondering the same thing.

OTOH, Integra is close to $1000 while D-05 is $350 and can be tossed into a backpack for mobile usage - running on AA batteries.

#2878263 - 09/10/17 12:49 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Marillo]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Marillo

Someone who just needs a smattering of approximations of the most popular D50 sounds may find them in that other gear, to a greater or lesser extent depending on what they're looking for. But someone who wants the full library of sounds, as accurately as possible, with all the same editing/programming functionality as the original, will not. Just as some people are fine with some popular Minimoog-style sounds in their rompler or roughly moogish sounds in whatever VA synth, while others want, if not a Minimoog, at least an SE-02 (or Berhinger).

#2878281 - 09/10/17 04:02 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Well. the rule of unintended consequences?

After pondering this thread, got way into Roland sounds, and thus the Integra-7. The D-50 and D-05 are sonic subsets of what this bad boy can do. And short money, all in.

Oh yes, and a breath controller and I would be dangerous!

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2878283 - 09/10/17 04:27 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: cphollis]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Manufacturers are capitalizing on 80s synth nostalgia again. laugh

Sure, a few younger musos will buy the D-05 too but it is those of us with fond memories of the 80s who will line up to Digital Native Dance. grin cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2878289 - 09/10/17 05:29 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ProfD]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Yes, I never saw such an outpouring of GAS for what I thought was a fondly-remembered but (sound-wise) much-forgotten synth!

"If Roland releases it they will come..."

Uh... I didn't mean it that way... really! smile

#2878293 - 09/10/17 06:12 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Reezekeys]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Hats off to Roland. Since that management buyout a few years back they've turned this ship around. Sure beats regurgitating the same stuff with incremental updates.

Busch.

#2878303 - 09/10/17 07:47 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ProfD]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ProfD

Sure, a few younger musos will buy the D-05 too but it is those of us with fond memories of the 80s who will line up to Digital Native Dance. grin cool

I had to watch the Eric Persing video from Roland's D-50 Celebration series. It includes a breakdown of that patch, as well as other famous patches that he made - didn't realize the D-50 had wavetables too, not just conventional samples:

From a nostalgia perspective I enjoyed the Jimmy Jam and Mike Lindup videos. I learned that Lindup's touring "workstation" - this was before the Korg M1 so no workstation keyboards - was a D-50 and TR-505 drum machine. He'd lug them from hotel room to hotel room.

#2878314 - 09/10/17 09:38 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: GhostlySilver]
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver
Originally Posted By: ProfD

I had to watch the Eric Persing video from Roland's D-50 Celebration series. It includes a breakdown of that patch, as well as other famous patches that he made - didn't realize the D-50 had wavetables too, not just conventional samples:

Those patches that combine the 5th are SO cool when you play chords.

Russ Ferrante has a tutorial on chord stacking that he says was inspired by hearing such patches.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2878333 - 09/11/17 02:44 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
CEB Offline
10k Club

If you all are going to buy a synth compatible with D-50 Sysex then ......

https://cultofd50.org/

I just got a large cargo van. Rig size is irrelevant. I think I'm bringing the D-50 back out of mothballs. My favorite non OB Jump-esque sound ever is Valhalla's JP 8 Brass on the studio series Top 40 card.

Before I got my XB-2 and if I didn't have a Hammond my goto organ sound was my own patch called Ed's Rotor. In 1987-91 the D-50 could do pretty good organ.

I could program the hell out of the D-50 as opposed to the DX. But the D-50 and DX together were an absolutely killer combination. It was the D-50 that made the DX-7 great.

Edited by CEB (09/11/17 02:57 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2878340 - 09/11/17 04:09 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
b3keys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Finleyville,PA,UNITED STATES
I wonder when the hybrid ACB/DCB boutiques will launch? JX8P/JX10 seem likely candidates.

#2878342 - 09/11/17 04:22 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: b3keys]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Originally Posted By: b3keys
I wonder when the hybrid ACB/DCB boutiques will launch? JX8P/JX10 seem likely candidates.

I'm hoping Roland will offer a JX-10 plug-out for the System 8. grin cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2878383 - 09/11/17 08:27 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
Hats off to Roland. Since that management buyout a few years back they've turned this ship around. Sure beats regurgitating the same stuff with incremental updates.

Busch.

Oh yeah, forgot about the management buyout.

Wonder if some Boutique version of the V-Synth is in the works - presumably minus the D-50 card option. I wouldn't be surprised though if Roland considers that line to be a dead end, as their VA tech has gotten a lot better, and not too many synth buyers want to do the Time Trip thing.

#2878384 - 09/11/17 08:29 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ProfD]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Nice they are bringing out all these retro devices at a reasonable price. But who was the genius that decided to place the volume knob on the back?

#2878391 - 09/11/17 09:37 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: Sam Mullins]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Roland is learning and improving this line as it progresses. With the first few, like the JP-08, they didn't really capture the physical look of the original. The sliders, knobs and switches are all different. The JP-08 lacks that iconic color scheme.

With the D-05, TR-08, SH-01A, TR-09 and TB-03 they've done a much better job recreating the vibe of the originals with knobs/switches/sliders all pretty much just like the original in smaller size.

Busch.

#2878403 - 09/11/17 10:43 AM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: burningbusch]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
When I was old enough (high school) to buy my first synth, the D50 had just come out. And man, it was like there was nothing else in the store when I went to look at it. The sales-guys were just drooling over it (and of course, the programmer). It was totally unfair - so far out of my price range, but damn if it wasn't the holy grail. I ended up buying a used DX-7 (from someone who was selling to buy a D-50, of course). By the time the D50 came out, the DX was already dated.....I've always considered it as "The one that got away."
Looks like they did a solid job with this module and I'm sure they will capture the interest of folks like me (especially at that price point). Now, my Jupiter 80 pretty much has all those sounds built in (except that damn Digital Native Dance!!!) And much more to boot. But, this thing is certainly tugging at my nostalgic side!

#2878425 - 09/11/17 12:33 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: ABECK]
BRW Offline

I love how there's a new preset on the D-05 called "MoonStrutter Bass". cool The D-50 was famously used on the BAD album, which, coincidentally is having its own 30th anniversary.

#2878433 - 09/11/17 01:04 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: BRW]
CEB Offline
10k Club

The sounds that hooked me in the store I was never able to use. LOL. Fantasia, Native Digital Dance, etc... Eric Persing is a genius.

I liked the Shakuhachi patch a lot. I assume it was used in the intro to the slow Clapton version of After Midnight from the 88 Michelob commercial. I covered it just I could use the patch. LOL. It does faux heavy poly analog really well for a digital synth.

I wonder if I will be disappointed in D-05 because a huge aspect was the way I used the after touch action on the D-50. Yeah maybe most the sound available are available for my FA-06 but that donkey no AT action on the FA can't play the sounds right.

My K2-88 has a lot of empty top space to sit the D-05.

PS Attn. Roland Please do not bother with a boutique D-70. The 70 was not a pimple on the ass of the 50.

Edited by CEB (09/11/17 01:12 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2878450 - 09/11/17 02:21 PM Re: D-05 is announced [Re: CEB]
GhostlySilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like these D-50 patches that emulate Gary Numan sounds. Created by a guy who used D-50 for analog emulation until he got a Virus.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner