Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2877853 - 09/08/17 07:58 AM Price drop on Supro amps.
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sweetwater, Amazon and a few others seem to be having clearance price drops on a few of the Supro combo re-issues. I've been impressed by them when I've seen gigs done with them

I'll give one a try. I think the 1600 Supreme is right up my alley. Just ordered one.

The Satellite looks awesome, but I worry about the oodball tubes used in that one, and I never end up getting my reverb and tremolo from amps onstage, really...

GP Island
#2877856 - 09/08/17 08:07 AM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Ooooh!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2877864 - 09/08/17 08:45 AM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Congrats P90! Supro makes some sweet sounding amps. Keep us posted with a review when yours comes in! thu

#2877879 - 09/08/17 09:54 AM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Congrats P90! Supro makes some sweet sounding amps. Keep us posted with a review when yours comes in! thu

I sure will. Every review I found of the 1600 Supreme raved raved raved about it!

#2877880 - 09/08/17 09:54 AM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Ooooh!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Sure enough!

#2878192 - 09/09/17 07:32 PM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: p90jr
Sweetwater, Amazon and a few others seem to be having clearance price drops on a few of the Supro combo re-issues. I've been impressed by them when I've seen gigs done with them

I'll give one a try. I think the 1600 Supreme is right up my alley. Just ordered one.

That 1600 Supreme looks to be a rrreeeaalllyy niiiiiiice amp... make it a 1x12 rather than the 1x10, and I'd be even more enthused about it yet... And, yeah, nice price on these now, indeed!

The Satellite looks awesome, but I worry about the oodball tubes used in that one, and I never end up getting my reverb and tremolo from amps onstage, really...

"Satellite"... ? confused

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2881946 - 09/27/17 03:54 PM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

That 1600 Supreme looks to be a rrreeeaalllyy niiiiiiice amp... make it a 1x12 rather than the 1x10, and I'd be even more enthused about it yet... And, yeah, nice price on these now, indeed!

"Satellite"... ? confused

"Saturn," I mistyped. That one seemed to sell out.

#2881948 - 09/27/17 03:58 PM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You know how Sweetwater likes to call you about everything? I get a lot of telemarketing calls so I don't usually answer or listen to messages from things I don't recognize. Well, I ordered a cover for the amp in the same order, and the cover is back-ordered. I didn't think about it until I noticed I hadn't been charged for it, yet, and had gotten no shipment details... I shot off an email and got a reply... "I left a message saying that the cover was back ordered and we'd ship it all out to you in early October, or call us if you want just the amp earlier." Since I'll be away from home a lot I just told them to deliver it all in early October to make sure I'm around to get it. So, no Supro review just yet...

#2882144 - 09/28/17 12:19 PM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Best to plan on being home on the day the amp is delivered, so you can take it off the porch before someone else does LOL! We'll still be standing by into October for your review and looking forward to it! cool

#2883983 - 10/08/17 10:05 PM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Had it sent to the office.

Got it home and unboxed it Friday night and plugged it up for a quiet test drive (my daughter and niece were sleeping next to the living room, didn't feel like trudging through the pre-hurricane rain out to the practice shed out back). At just the point where the amp kicks in with sound it sounded great. Played a while with my old SG Special then a Hamer 335 semi-hollowbody.

Next day, I got to play it at a comfortable room volume (about a quarter of the way up on the volume knobs), with a Tele, and it sounds great. Then I plugged in a Klon KTR and it sounded incredible.

Definitely a "classic" sounding amp, which is up my alley... but it seems to "take pedals" so well that I'll have to dig out the OCD pedal and see how modern distorted sounds come out of it. If you play blues, classic country-ish or rootsy music or take the Stones|AC/DC approach to rock sounds, it's an amp you'd love to just crank up and let its 25 watts rip... I'll throw it on top of a 2x12" speaker cab at some point and see how that goes, too, which I'm expecting will be awesome. The 10" speaker sounds good and full and punchy and lacks no bottom end. I think when it breaks in a bit it will sound even better.

Oh, and it weighs 33lbs, is about 17" x 15"... so light-weight and about the size of a Princeton... and it gets louder than people allow me to turn up at gigs these days, so it's awesome in that regard.

I'm very pleased.

I'll probably gig with it and my AC15 running together... a little more grit on the Supro and Vox set to chimey.

#2884037 - 10/09/17 07:39 AM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Cool! Sounds like you're going to be a happy camper...let us know how it works at the gig and if you get some compliments! thu

#2884196 - 10/10/17 07:10 AM Re: Price drop on Supro amps. [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One of the guitarists I play with heard a short iPhone clip of my Tele through the amp, and then instantly ordered one himself (they're still available at the price cut). He'd used a recording studio's vintage Supro back in England and loved it but thought them rare, expensive and unattainable. I assume the re-issues are PCB instead of handwired, but if it's good and robust PCB (like modern Vox amps) I don't care.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose