Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2877603 - 09/07/17 04:31 AM semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV!
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
The DECADES channel has started a couple or so days ago, showing half-hour glimpses of the old ED SULLIVAN show. and not just the rock'n'Roll acts like PBS did, but some of the other ones seen on the show too. So far, I've seen old "buddy" TOPO GIGO, an early GEORGE CARLIN, a young JOAN RIVERS, RICH LITTLE and a young RICHARD PRYOR and an array of those circus and acrobatic acts he'd have on a lot.

Musically, I've seen IKE and TINA TURNER and their RHYTHM REVUE, The YOUNG RASCALS, THE JACKSON FIVE, SONNY JAMES and JAMES BROWN.

My only gripe would be they don't inform as to the original air date, so I have to rely on memory of song release and hair and clothing fashions to figure it out. Like, for Brown, he was still sporting that "proccessed" Pompadour while singing "The Things I Used To Do" and "Please, Please,Please". And doing his "cape thrown over the shoulders" schtick where he's slowly being walked off and then throwing off the cape and going back to wail some more into the mic. So I'm guessing that was the mid '60's. And MAN, that guy could "SANG"!

And that FOOTWORK! LOVED seeing all that again. One thing did amuse me though....

A grandniece who just turned 30 was over visiting my wife when the show with the Jackson Five were on, and she was ASTONISHED to discover that little black kid WAS INDEED Michael Jackson! All her life she was under the impression that Jackson's career started with "Thriller". grin I told her that he was first seen as a professional by the world when he was about 10-11 years old. But the brothers were an act for some years before that. And that even us old "hippies" who thought MOTOWN at the time was more or less passe dug Michael. Kid had some MOVES even back then!

And she even got a kick out of TINY TIM, who was shown, and I had to try and explain HIM to here as well. wink Can't recall the song he did now, but it was a familiar tune and he did it with a mix of a straight sounding baritone voice and his usual comic falsetto. And last night, they showed an abreviated "Toast Of The Town" kinescope, which the show was called before just "The Ed Sullivan" show. They stopped calling it "Toast Of The Town" in '55, so you see how old THAT stuff was. The musical guest on that one was Nat "King" Cole singing a medley of his tunes. And DELLA REESE did something too. Like I said,

THAT was GOOD TV!
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (09/07/17 04:35 AM)

GP Island
#2877640 - 09/07/17 07:53 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
A lot of great memories can be found in those old Ed Sullivan shows where many great artists got their introduction and foot in the door of the music and comedy world, and where we got a first glimpse of them. My mom always loved Nat King Cole and he was right up there with Elvis in our '55 household. I was only 5 so they were around in my formative years LOL! and beyond! I loved Nat King Cole and I still like to sing Route 66. Many think it was originally done by Bobby Troup, but his tune was a cover LOL! Even though he wrote it! I love seeing old clips of Nat and newer ones of his daughter Natalie. She was also a great singer. Then came The Beatles, The Stones, CCR, etc. I loved many of the old comedians too! Hats off to Ed Sullivan! cool

#2877659 - 09/07/17 09:38 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I saw James Brown last night on the Ed Sullivan reruns on Decades Channel. I have been receiving that over the air for some months and watched many of the Laugh In episodes. Silly as Laugh In was it still makes me laugh. I was never a big fan of James Brown's idea of theatrics, nor was I a fan of most of his music. He was amusing to watch after all of these years, but my original thoughts on his shtick were reinforced by his performance on Ed Sullivan, yawn......
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2877730 - 09/07/17 02:34 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

They show them in
back to back" half hour sections, and I missed the first half hour this afterenoon, but the one I saw was from 1956. I knew that because Ed said something about being on the air for 8 years, and since the show started as "Toast Of The Town" in '48, I did the math.

It was more musical than the ones I've seen before. Starting with Harry Belefonte singing "Jamiaca Farewell" in some seafront setting, and then there was Bill Haley and his Comets doing "Rock Around The Clock". Franny Beecher tried his best to emulate Danny Cedrone's iconic solo, and did OK, and it looked like he was playing some old Epiphone. A Zephyr I think. What kind of tickled me was....well...I've seen Haley and his band in old movies before, but on the show, his band's line-up included a guy with an accordian, and another guy standing at a pedal steel guitar! Couldn't pick their sound out from the rest, but it did look odd to me

Della Reese did a tune, and Jack Paar tried to be funny. And Louis Armstrong walked onstage and sang "Happy Birthday" to Ed. And Teresa Brewer did a medley of a few of her tunes. I liked her back in those days too.

DBM---not a James Brown fan, eh? Well, there's ONE thing we don't see eye to eye on. Been a fan of his from back when he was called "Li'l Dynamite". The man and his Flames practically invented the Funk genre. The tightest band playing in those times, there's no doubt The Famous Flames put out some great sounds. IMHO.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (09/07/17 02:36 PM)

#2877790 - 09/07/17 10:14 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I dig James Brown,"HEY!" although I didn't care for the cape routine LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (09/07/17 10:16 PM)

#2877809 - 09/08/17 02:49 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I was around early enough for some of James Brown`s videos-I couldn`t help noticing that his tag line `The hardest working man in show business` was lifted verbatim by radio personality Tom Joyner.
For me, it was when music performance and dance performance became one performance. Of course it gets complicated with an instrument. Tell that to Prince, if he was still around.
The band Winger-um....music values aside-Kip Winger was a ballet student.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2877813 - 09/08/17 03:57 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Caught a bit of the one I missed earlier late last night. Was Judy Garland belting out "Rock-a-bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody" and comic Jackie Vernon.

I always enjoy seeing and hearing old performances of Judy. Great voice and performer.
Whitefang

#2877860 - 09/08/17 08:17 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Last year a teacher made a point of playing `Somewhere Over the Rainbow` in class. Just a stellar recording.

#2877865 - 09/08/17 08:47 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 the original Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland, in the Wizard of Oz movie, is just fantastic!

cool

Edited by Larryz (09/08/17 08:55 AM)

#2877952 - 09/08/17 02:29 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Got it on now. Just saw The Rascals again, and now Petulia Clark is singing "Don't Sleep In The Subway"

Oh Boy! Now Eddie Fisher's singing his version of "Lame".....ummm.......er......"Mame". wink

As for "Over The Rainbow". My eyes water up every time I watch that movie and Judy sings it. She OWNED that song! At the time, it was just a good song in a very good movie. But when I consider her life betweent then and until her death, it seems more like a declaration of personal longing. About that anyway, but to her, it became more pertinent.

Ah. The Rascals again, doing "How Can I be Sure". Can do without those goofy dancers. But dig Gene's big, black BARNEY KESSEL.

I know the next one has Tony Bennett doing "San Francisco" and another in a medley backed by Count Basie, who shows up again with a tune. And comedienne Totie Fields, who was a bit funny. She was good at self deprication. And Nancy Sinatra shows up to sing "Love Eyes". And a comedy team I never heard of called "Hendra and Ullet" do a bit about an American trying to explain baseball to a visiting Brit.

Oy, now The Rascals are doing "Groovin' "
Whitefang

#2878402 - 09/11/17 10:42 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Today's first half hour was one Larry would have liked. From 1957 I'm guessing because before he kicked it off with "Don't Be Cruel", he said it was his big hit "from last year". The Jordanaires were standing behind him. Except for a short close-up of Scotty's guitar, you never did get to see Scotty.

He'd come back later to sing "Too Much" and end the 1/2 hour singing "Peace In The Valley".

A young Carol Burnett did a short comedy bit followed by Lena Horne singing "One For My Baby". Then there was an outstanding British ventriloquist named Arthur Worsley, then some acrobat act called The Six Gutis. It would be a couple more years before Carol Burnett became REALLY well known on The Gary Moore Show.

The second half hour was newer starting with the Stones doing "Paint It Black" so it had to be about '66. Two things I noticed....

When the song was in the intro, Brian Jones was sitting lotus style off to the side, cradling a sitar. But when the camera did a close-up of Brian, it was clear there were NO STRINGS on it! And a guy who I didn't recognize was playing a Vox "teardrop" guitar behind Keith Richards and his Les Paul.

Louis Armstrong came on and sang "Cabaret", then Joan Rivers did a bit followed by an operatic Jim Nabors singing something. And then later Robert Goulet came on and did a song in his typical air raid siren style. Then they were at Madison Square Garden where an ice skater from "Holiday On Ice" did some figure skating.

I think The Stones did another tune, but I had to leave the room for something and missed it if they did.
Whitefang

#2878437 - 09/11/17 01:17 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Today's first half hour was one Larry would have liked. From 1957 I'm guessing because before he kicked it off with "Don't Be Cruel", he said it was his big hit "from last year". The Jordanaires were standing behind him. Except for a short close-up of Scotty's guitar, you never did get to see Scotty.

He'd come back later to sing "Too Much" and end the 1/2 hour singing "Peace In The Valley".

Yeah, those are some cool old Elvis flix that are fun to watch...I've called up quite a few of them on YouTube. cool

#2878671 - 09/12/17 02:34 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Today not so rockin'. Blood, Sweat and Tears, although the cable "on screen" guide said it would be The Beach Boys.

Other music by Leslie Uggums and Goulet again.

2nd 1/2 hour was B&W, and Streisand sang "Lover, Come back To Me" so I'm guessing '63 or so. The only other music were The Clancy Brothers and Liberace. Everyone in later years took him to be just a big joke, but the man could play!
Whitefang

#2878739 - 09/12/17 06:07 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Other music by Leslie Uggums and Goulet again.
Whitefang

I mixed a lot of Leslie Uggams gigs back in the 90s. A great voice, glowing presence, we had some fun backstage parties back in the day.

#2878757 - 09/12/17 07:40 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Back in the day (and I'm talking way back) my Mom never missed Liberace and Jack Lalanne in the morning. So I had to sit and watch till the shows were over LOL! But Jack could definitely hold is own in the exercise department and +1 FANG, Liberace could definitely hold his own in the piano playing department! I think Elton John got his flamboyant look and some of his piano playing inspiration from Liberace... cool

Edited by Larryz (09/12/17 07:41 PM)

#2878797 - 09/13/17 04:23 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Could be. First thing many thought when Elton started up with the fancy, silly costumes on stage.

Legend has it that Liberace, back when he was concertizing as a serious classical pianist did a recital back in the '40's somewhere and was in a "mood" when the audience insisted on an encore, and not having one planned for decided to have a bit of fun and played a popular tune at the time, "Three Little Fishies", and the audience laughed and he liked the feeling of that. And a flame was lit.....

And yeah, I remember that old TV show with him and that candelabra on the piano and his brother playing the violin along with him, wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (09/13/17 04:24 AM)

#2878933 - 09/13/17 02:20 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This afternoon in the 1st 1/2 hour, ELLA FITZGERALD did a swingin', jazzy version of The Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love." Really cool sound.

Richard Harris did some bit from CAMELOT, Ben Stiller's parents JERRY STILLER and ANNE MEARA did a routine and the Temptations sang "Don't Look Back".

The second show had The 5th Dimension singing, you know what....

Liza Minelli did a tune and Paul Anka crooned a bit.

And George Carlin did a comedy newscast bit that had Al Sleet, the "Hippy Dippy" weatherman inform us that tonight's forecast is....

"Dark!" grin
Whitefang

#2879183 - 09/14/17 10:22 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Saw that myself last evening Fang. I am loving Decades for that, and the Comedy Shop, and Laugh In. Plus Through The Decades is interesting if nothing else interests me in that time slot. It is my go to channel 62.2 over the air here in the Phoenix area.

#2879361 - 09/15/17 03:23 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One of those names sparked a `back in the day` moment-I had a brief scene in a film with Jerry Stiller, called `Red Apple Rest`. There was a bunch of us in a hotel with him, but everyone was too busy to chat. I never did see the finished work, it didn`t seem like something I`d be interested in.

#2879364 - 09/15/17 03:48 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Him and wife Anne used to do their act under the name of "Stiller and Meara", her using her maiden name professionally. They were frequent guests on Sullivan and one of my favorites.

Yesterday, I didn't take time to mention the shows then weren't too musical to begin with. The first 1/2 hour showing The Beach Boys( "I Get Around" and later "Wendy")

Had Goulet on again. And Topo Gigio still kinda tickles me. Probably mostly my nostalgia bone. wink

The 2nd showing I dozed off during The Carpenters(hard to avoid for me) But Tony Bennett woke me up with "Come On, Get Happy"! smile

George Burns and Robert Klein were the comics on that one.
Whitefang

#2879500 - 09/15/17 01:45 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Today's first showing was a bit "iconic" .......

Started with The Stones doing "Let's Spend 'some time' Together" wink (Yeah, we know better grin ) Their second tune later was "Ruby Tuesday".

And Petulia Clark managed to make Bobby Lind's "Elusive Butterfly" more lame than it originally was.

But I apologize to any that actually liked that tune.

The Doors kicked off the second one with "People Are Strange".

And surprise! Robert Goulet was there. AGAIN! crazy

Yul Brynner then showed up with some other guy to sing some old Eastern European( I'm guessing) tune while playing some odd but cool looking guitar.

Flip Wilson and Alan King provided the comedy.

The Doors then came back and did "Light My Fire". And contrary to what some younger folks might have been led to believe, Jim Morrison did NOT lunge his face at the camera with a sarcastic smile on his face when he sang the word "higher" like Val Kilmer did in that movie.
Whitefang

#2879619 - 09/16/17 05:50 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I do recall seeing Robert Goulet and his piercing voice, when I was very young.

#2879672 - 09/16/17 11:36 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Goulet was aimed at the "older" viewers, but then too, found some derisive reaction.

I recall my Mom once commenting on his singing...."He'd certainly have no trouble finding a job singing on top of CITY HALL every Saturday at ONE O'CLOCK!" wink
Whitefang

#2879892 - 09/17/17 10:59 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Haha! ya, well on the plus side he could cut through just about any combination of instruments.

#2880007 - 09/18/17 10:28 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK well...

Today's 1st was an "olies" kinda show with old kinescopes of Budy Holly( introduced by Edas just "The Crickets") doing "That'll Be The Day" and coming back later with "Peggy Sue."

Sam Cooke did "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons" and coming back later with "You Send Me".

The Rays even showed up to sing "Silhouettes". And to slow things up a bit, he brught out Bobby Helms to sing "My Special Angel"

The second show kicked off with Janis Joplin singing "Raise Your Hands".

Then there were four fashion models, it looked like, trying to be a singing quartet singing a short medley that started with "Could This Be Love" and then they put a thick coat of whitewash on "Respect". eccchhh!

But what made up for it was the trio of Floyd Cramer, Chet Atkins and Boots Randolph showing why they were GIANTS.
Whitefang

#2880239 - 09/19/17 10:43 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This afternoon's shows not so rockin'.

1st show had Liza Minnelli singing some song I never heard of. She's a great singer and all, and very cute back then, lucky to have inherited her Mother's gorgeous eyes and immense talent.

I'm guessing the show was from '68 due to Ed having Gary Puckett and the Union Gap on. He's had them on almost as much as Goulet back in those days.

They butchered "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" for their first song, and later did one I didn't know or care about. All I could think about was how we always pronounced his name different! wink Still can't wrap my mind around his being born one year after Bob Dylan and in HIBBING MINN.! I know, Dylan was born in Duluth, but you know what I'm meaning...

Eye candy for the ladies John Davidson crooned something (not the song) and I wondered a bit about whatever became of him?

And The Lennon sisters proved they were no relation wink And I could only think about how my brother always called them the LEMON sisters, and an uncle of mine once said they were a "Hair salon quartet". wink

On the second show Tom Jones did that old song "More".

But then...on came ANNETTE! Funicello that is. But I don't know what she sang because I was too busy just looking and swooning. love With her big hair and big, um...well....

Made my day! wink

John Byner was funny as usual. Some Mexican band whose name I didn't catch (nature call) then Frankie Avalon did a song and later a duet medley with Annette.
Whitefang

#2880290 - 09/19/17 02:48 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Eye candy for the ladies John Davidson crooned something (not the song) and I wondered a bit about whatever became of him?

I saw John Davidson this past summer, with the touring production of the Broadway musical, "Finding Neverland". He played Charles Frohman (theatre owner) and Captain Hook. Did quite a good job; I wasn't quite sure what to expect from him. His voice is throaty & more bass than treble, but still on-key and strong in his range. After the show, while my kids were getting autographs from other cast members, I saw him sneak out to a cab. He was carrying a guitar. Good on him!

On a homophonic* note, I still have yet to see Jon Davison live singing with Yes. I do love his work with Glass Hammer, though, especially the "Perilous" album.

*not phobic

#2880325 - 09/19/17 06:51 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

But what made up for it was the trio of Floyd Cramer, Chet Atkins and Boots Randolph showing why they were GIANTS.
Whitefang

Some smokin playing there, I just tuned in to see two acts. Sorry to say from what I read in the full post from the quote above, that I missed the rest of that show. I did see the 4 models, and although the Respect tune certainly was not Aretha, their harmonies were spot on. As some of you know I started my musical odyssey singing baritone in an a-Capella doo wop group, so right on harmonies always impress me. And they nailed that part, impressively.

#2880364 - 09/20/17 04:33 AM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I never did claim they didn't sing good, but their rendition of "Respect" did kinda remind me of that skit on SNL when Ray Charles was a guest where they had him in a producer's office and the producer trots out four "varsity" clad young white kids to sing, "What did I say"( instead of "WHAT'D I say") Four Freshman style. grin
Whitefang

#2880474 - 09/20/17 02:28 PM Re: semi OT: Now, THAT was good TV! [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm guessing today's first show was from around '66 because the Supremes did "Can't Hurry Love". I missed the first one they did.

And Ricky Nelson was stll lookin' kinda clean cut. And I think that was Burton with him on that first tune.
And Ethel Merman shook the bricks loose.

The only kind of "sorta" rock group on the 2nd show were The Four Seasons.

Since I always liked Jimmy Durante, I enjoyed seein' him. And the early Muppets were cool too.

And really enjoyed the appearance of Gwen Verdon, who I had a "crush" on since a kid and seeing her in "Damn Yankees". wink
Whitefang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose