Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2878109 - 09/09/17 08:52 AM Re: Pianoteq 6 Released (Sept 6, 2017) [Re: EscapeRocks]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Phil does a great job of showcasing these pianos in v.6. I'm drawn to the Steinway B, but in his hands there are others I like better.

Busch.

KC Island
#2878118 - 09/09/17 10:17 AM Re: Pianoteq 6 Released (Sept 6, 2017) [Re: burningbusch]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Yeah, Phil is really a great ambassador for PT6. When I listen to him play, I get reminded of pianistic ideas that I haven't played on an electronic instrument because the nuance just wasn't there.

I didn't get the email (yet) but thanks to this thread I picked up my update. Overall it sounds more cohesive than version 5. CPU is clearly much more stable on Mainstage (not necessarily lower for me, but I might have more complicated patches, than I did before) as David mentioned. Sweet! thu

#2879233 - 09/14/17 12:30 PM Re: Pianoteq 6 Released (Sept 6, 2017) [Re: JerryA]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Finally found an email in spam that had come in a couple of days ago while I was off the grid in Idaho farm country. The upgrade cost is the same for Pro users ($39), which was a relief.

While I was add it, I completed my add-ons by purchasing Grotrian. It's interesting to see that that one, and both Steinway B and Steinway D, are now re-branded with official endorsements.

Didn't have a chance to try it yet -- hopefully tonight. Too busy downloading and installing Superior 3, which is humongous.

#2879576 - 09/15/17 08:55 PM Re: Pianoteq 6 Released (Sept 6, 2017) [Re: Mark Schmieder]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Finally had a chance tonight to download and install this new version. I can't believe how good it is. Best $39 dollars I ever spent on a VST hands down. The acoustic pianos are bigger, fuller, although there is still a difference from an excellent sampled piano.Very happy with the Steinway D. What I didn't expect is how good the EP's sound now. The Rhodes Mark I and Mark II are significantly improved, and I actually like the Wurlitzer now, never cared for it before. I'll never like the Clavinet so I didn't spend but 2 minutes with that. Models still aren't going to replace samples for pure authenticity, but the play ability is great and the CPU load is small. This is a must upgrade for anyone who owns Pianoteq, it's the same price to version 6 no matter what version you currently own.

#2879588 - 09/15/17 10:25 PM Re: Pianoteq 6 Released (Sept 6, 2017) [Re: davedoerfler]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
+1 Thanks for the reminder Dave. Been away and had not gotten around to upgrading.

The faint metallic string noise on the lower octaves seems to be gone and 6 sounds fuller and better balanced. Every patch I have in 5 is modified, if only to turn reverb off, so it will take a little time to do a full side by side comparison.

But on first play I may not bother, just retweak in 6 and enjoy, PT is just so good to play no point wasting time searching for subtle differences.

CPU usage on my machine has fallen from 30% in 5 to 24% in 6.

#2879737 - 09/16/17 11:22 PM Re: Pianoteq 6 Released (Sept 6, 2017) [Re: Markay]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Markay

CPU usage on my machine has fallen from 30% in 5 to 24% in 6.

I didn't measure it myself but at 20% drop in CPU usage is of major significance. Thanks for that info, Mark.

#2890269 - 11/14/17 01:07 PM Re: Pianoteq 6 Released (Sept 6, 2017) [Re: davedoerfler]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Definitely less CPU-intensive since this update. In fact, I now use it as my first piano plug-in until I am ready to do final rendering, for that very reason.

Although v6 is a huge step forward, the very most recent (and ONLY the very most recent) sample libraries have finally surpassed it in realism, but nothing beats Pianoteq for getting realistic phrasing right out of the gate and for capturing a good initial performance if live playing will be a big (or only) part of the final score.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner