Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2877383 - 09/06/17 07:05 AM RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
We lost another one and he was huge in my genre. Reggae Keyboardists are a very rare breed in the business. A couple days ago we lost one of our own. Earl “Wya” Lindo. He was the master of the bubble technique. Apparently he had been sick in a hospital in the UK. I don't have any information but he was a wild keyboard player and helped define a style of playing.

noblevibes.com

KC Island
#2877434 - 09/06/17 09:48 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Outkaster]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
My god, only 64. Great player indeed, and a great loss.

#2877507 - 09/06/17 03:08 PM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Man! One of the legends passes.

#2877515 - 09/06/17 04:20 PM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Bobadohshe]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
A nice organ/clav piano combination with Tyrone Downie in the Wailers. Just read an old interview of his...
Along with Jackie Mitoo, these are the holy triad of reggae keyboards
RIP

#2877568 - 09/06/17 09:17 PM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: yannis D]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: yannis D
A nice organ/clav piano combination with Tyrone Downie in the Wailers. Just read an old interview of his...
Along with Jackie Mitoo, these are the holy triad of reggae keyboards
RIP

Would love to see that interview if you don't mind sharing.

#2877592 - 09/07/17 01:44 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Bobadohshe]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2877606 - 09/07/17 05:21 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: yannis D]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yannis he was kind of deep and soft spoken. One thing they never talk about is how closed down this whole thing is...no one shows you anything. Everyone I opened for or worked with found out things themselves. Even the videos of the Marley concerts are never centered around keyboard players (big surprise) I have looked far and wide and there just isn't much out there. All the tutorials on the web are lacking in something also. Interesting to see about Jackie Mitto as he was touring with a buddy of mine when he passed in 1990.

Edited by Outkaster (09/07/17 05:42 AM)

noblevibes.com

#2877654 - 09/07/17 08:37 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Outkaster]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tony Chin just shared this on Facebook from the last session they did together in 1980.

#2877757 - 09/07/17 07:45 PM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Bobadohshe]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

You can really hear him to best advantage on the Marley and the Wailers " Talking Blues" CD from 1973.

It is a live broadcast from a San Francisco radio station. The organ cuts through loud and clear on " Kinky Reggae" and " Burnin' and Lootin" ...etc.

The Wailers were indeed a " hungry mob" during this stage of their career. It is right at the end of the Peter Tosh/ Bunny Livingston period. One of my favorite pieces of history.

#2877839 - 09/08/17 07:03 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: LX88]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hardly any of them are left. The ones that are I have opened for and they are in different factions. Junior Marvin, Al Anderson, and Family Man have different groups they call "Wailers"

noblevibes.com

#2877898 - 09/08/17 11:04 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Outkaster]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Outkaster
Hardly any of them are left. The ones that are I have opened for and they are in different factions. Junior Marvin, Al Anderson, and Family Man have different groups they call "Wailers"

My friend Omar plays bass with Al Anderson's band. He says Junior's band is pretty rough and he tends to just tour with Family Man's band now. How confusing and weird though.

#2877899 - 09/08/17 11:23 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Bobadohshe]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah I opened up for them and knew 85% of the set list. The singer there is Marcia Griffiths niece and she was cool. The rest of them were younger guys. It was family mans band also but he wasn't around. I think he had a stroke but they are all essentially tribute bands now but the public eats that shit up.

noblevibes.com

#2878788 - 09/13/17 02:01 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Outkaster]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Outkaster
Yannis he was kind of deep and soft spoken. One thing they never talk about is how closed down this whole thing is...no one shows you anything. Everyone I opened for or worked with found out things themselves. Even the videos of the Marley concerts are never centered around keyboard players (big surprise) I have looked far and wide and there just isn't much out there. All the tutorials on the web are lacking in something also. Interesting to see about Jackie Mitto as he was touring with a buddy of mine when he passed in 1990.

Yes, and this is common in "folk" music, where there isn't any formal music education. One has to go through the hole learning experience by himself and hardly an "old" guy would show him his trics. It's the same in almost any traditional music around the globe. I've heard similar stories from greek traditional musicians who would never ever show their trics to new generations. But this slowly changes-with education and mentality differences
Yannis

#2878867 - 09/13/17 09:52 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: yannis D]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No and the music is held close. Some of it is fear of someone from another background or country wanting to play it. It's a form of Cultural Protection. My guitarist uses that term and hates that Jamaica is that way.....well it's not about to change. The other day I opened for the Wailers in June and was talking to the keyboardist about his rig. He kept trying to divert the conversation like I was going to take something from him which I had no intention to. I can watch their hands to find out because that is what I have been doing for the last 20 years....I know most of the songs. My Italian relatives played accordion and were great at it. I was too young to be able to learn and didn't have the interest. I wish I did.....

Edited by Outkaster (09/13/17 10:02 AM)

noblevibes.com

#2878909 - 09/13/17 11:41 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: Outkaster]
waygetter Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA
I saw Bob Marley way back in the mid-70s. I think it may have been another keyboard player, not Lindo. In any case, it was probably the #1 best concert in my life, so fantastic. The keys were intrinsic to the music and the vibe. In the live setting - all eyes were on Bob and the I-Threes, super hypnotic and spiritual.

#2879131 - 09/14/17 08:09 AM Re: RIP: Earl "Wya" Lindo [Re: waygetter]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Probably Tyrone Downie. Sometimes he toured with two guys but mostly one. Was it here in 1979:

or

noblevibes.com

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner