Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2877145 - 09/05/17 06:03 AM September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs?
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
http://rekkerd.org/roland-to-unveil-new-...-festival-2017/

I'm mildly curious about the D-50 stuff (new boutique module?), but very curious about the organ announcements next Tuesday the 12th. Anyone know if these are aimed at the pro market, or more for worship type uses?

KC Island
#2877146 - 09/05/17 06:08 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

A "new" VR09 on the way, maybe?

#2877152 - 09/05/17 06:43 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Dang, there they go, Redefining the Future again. I was just getting over the last time they did that!

hitt hitt poke poke hitt hitt taz taz hitt hitt

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2877154 - 09/05/17 06:47 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
Nadroj Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Dang, there they go, Redefining the Future again. I was just getting over the last time they did that!

thu

#2877155 - 09/05/17 06:50 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
Nadroj Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: To B3
A "new" VR09 on the way, maybe?

Same old SN organ engine in a slightly different plastic chassis with waterfall keys. Some additional SN tones. Lots of daft little quirks that make the organ less useable than any other clone. A D-beam. Unecrssary real estate on both sides of the keyboard.

#2877166 - 09/05/17 07:51 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Nadroj]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom

#2877169 - 09/05/17 07:55 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: xKnuckles]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
VR-7xx would be awesome - really curious where they would focus on improvements. Stuff like a sub out, competitive Leslie sim.

#2877216 - 09/05/17 10:53 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
That would be my luck!!! I just bought a VR-09 last month.......

#2877220 - 09/05/17 11:11 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: KeyMoe]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

fix the horrible MIDI implementation like they kind of finally did on my FA08

#2877225 - 09/05/17 11:26 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: EscapeRocks]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
As much as I hate to suggest that you guys aren't the center of the Roland universe --- and that everything they do is merely to give you fodder to bitch and moan here on KC --- you realize Roland also does a full series of digital church organs, right? snax

Clonk

Okay, back to gathering your torches, and whatever you do, completely ignore the concept of caveat emptor. wave

#2877227 - 09/05/17 11:38 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Sven Golly]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I have the VR-700.

Even if they kept the same organ and:
- kept the keybed
- added the pianos and synths, maybe improved again, from the VR09
- reduced the size (I simply don't need a 76-note mostly-for-organ board)
- reduced the weight (as long as the nice keys remain!)

And it probably isn't too much to ask for an improved organ at this point, that engine has been around for a while.

I'd really want to buy one. Unfortunately it would make it even harder to sell mine smile I like mine, a lot, but I'd like to sell and get either an electro or mojo 61. Lighter and smaller.

We shall see smile

#2877231 - 09/05/17 11:46 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Stokely]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Stokely
I have the VR-700.

Even if they kept the same organ and:
- kept the keybed
- added the pianos and synths, maybe improved again, from the VR09
- reduced the size (I simply don't need a 76-note mostly-for-organ board)
- reduced the weight (as long as the nice keys remain!)

And it probably isn't too much to ask for an improved organ at this point, that engine has been around for a while.

See, this is a reasonable request. Which guarantees Roland will never do it. The first thing they do is toss the beautiful action, then they add the weird bells and whistles.

#2877236 - 09/05/17 12:18 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
The way to know if your in an alternate universe.
Roland adds features you want and removes the D Beam!

#2877318 - 09/05/17 08:18 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: EscapeRocks]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
fix the horrible MIDI implementation like they kind of finally did on my FA08

Just messed with the the midi in the vr-09 today, and it is very, very clumsy and really doesnt have to be. Would have been nice if they had a forth mode that was straight forward. Nice little practice board, despite the short comings. Although, good thing I picked it up at a great price otherwise it would have been going back!

#2877335 - 09/05/17 10:36 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: KeyMoe]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I didn't click until now, so didn't notice the biggest part of their announcement, which didn't interest the posters here: a new digital wind instrument.

Is it in the Aerophone family, or something entirely different? Either way, I have very strong interest as I've been pondering the Aerophone as it is.

I doubt that the digital organ is a clonewheel, as I don't think they use that category for those. More likely one of their actual church-oriented organs (they bought a major church organ company years ago), or even an update of the baroque organ/harpsichord (it's been many years now).

#2877341 - 09/05/17 10:54 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Against my better judgement I'm hoping the D-50 thing will not be a boutique model, but rather something like the Jupiter 80. A modern take on the classic synth.

The Jupiter 80 is due for a replacement anyway, it's like 6 years old now?

#2877368 - 09/06/17 05:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: zephonic]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: zephonic
I'm hoping the D-50 thing will not be a boutique model, but rather something like the Jupiter 80. A modern take on the classic synth.

Yes, please. thu

#2877374 - 09/06/17 05:53 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Dont know if it's a clue, but on the Roland link, ther's a little quiz, totally clonewheel/hammond oriented... anyway, I'm hoping that it's something like that, in the VR-09 route...

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I didn't click until now, so didn't notice the biggest part of their announcement, which didn't interest the posters here: a new digital wind instrument.

Is it in the Aerophone family, or something entirely different? Either way, I have very strong interest as I've been pondering the Aerophone as it is.

I doubt that the digital organ is a clonewheel, as I don't think they use that category for those. More likely one of their actual church-oriented organs (they bought a major church organ company years ago), or even an update of the baroque organ/harpsichord (it's been many years now).

#2877375 - 09/06/17 06:10 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Dont know if it's a clue, but on the Roland link, there's a little quiz, totally clonewheel/hammond oriented...

Good catch! I think it probably is a clue, unless marketing has no idea what product development is doing. The synth quiz does include a question specifically about the kind of synthesis in the D50. And yup, 5 of the 6 "organ" questions refer to Hammond tonewheel organs.

One of the complaints about the Jupiter 50/80 (the first organ tech marketed with a "SuperNatural" moniker) was that they were particularly unsuitable for rock. Coincidentally or not, one of the quiz questions specifically defines the Hammond as "a popular jazz organ." Maybe that is indeed how Roland primarily sees it.

#2877718 - 09/07/17 01:27 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Today is the wind announcement, and it's just an ugly carbon black edition of the existing AE-10 MIDI controller. Oh well.

There's still room for some excitement in the days to come. I'm also wondering if any of the other soft synths will become available individually, or whether they're going to stick with the subscription-only model for the Jupiter et al.

#2877719 - 09/07/17 01:31 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
Today is the wind announcement, and it's just an ugly carbon black edition of the existing AE-10 MIDI controller. Oh well.

Great, 0 for 1. Can't wait for the others.....

#2877720 - 09/07/17 01:31 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Lee T Offline

Loc: North West UK
I don't mind the subscription model, but what they have to fix is that you have to be online every time the plugin is loaded. Fine for the studio but totally impractical for live work.

#2877743 - 09/07/17 04:27 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Lee T]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ah, yes, that's a HUGE problem for me. I owned the host hardware briefly, but got too much finger pain from the hard landing with zero weight or velocity, but more than anything else was annoyed by the poor integration between hardware and software, the outrageous prerequisites, and not being able to get the plug-ins to work as controllers for the hardware's cached parameters.

Nevertheless, I think their upcoming "special day" for a synthesizer announcement, is more likely to refer to a hardware product than a software product, and it's also looking from the picture that goes with "Organ Day" that it's a clonewheel after all and not a church console organ -- those might be dealt with via a different website/division than "Roland USA".

#2877746 - 09/07/17 05:03 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I first saw the VR-700 at NAMM 2010

It was followed at NAMM 2011 by the ATELIER Combo AT-350C.

Since then we've seen Nord and Hammond dominate in this area, Crumar/GSi get picked up by US dealers, StudioLogic as well, the Legend has finally happened thanks to Viscount with apparent US distribution, Korg has a VOX Continental, Uhl is making HX3 based instruments, Dexibell has a Combo J7.

Roland has been plodding along successfully with the sub $1k VR-09 but it would be great to see them back in the game.

#2877751 - 09/07/17 06:57 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida

I never knew the future was defined in the first place. idk

#2877765 - 09/07/17 08:29 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: DulceLabs.com]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Kansas
So still a few years before we see a VariOS/Aria enhanced Super Natural Flying V-Synth Fantom with ultra sampling abilities on a drum pad embedded workstation with a 10 inch touchscreen? Need loads of MIDI assignable tactile knobs and sliders. Must be available in all three popular (FULL-SIZED!) keybed sizes, all with killer aftertouch. Of course MIDI In Out AND Through simultaneously working with three different USB's and built in wireless transceivers; Under 3 grand? 256Gb storage and 32Gb RAM to run third party software? Okay, under 4 grand. 35 lbs tops.

#2877791 - 09/07/17 10:24 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: brenner13]
roygbiv Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
As soon as I heard about the new Korg/Vox Organ being released, my first thought was - "ooh, maybe Roland will have to release their VR-09 update"

But of course realized that was quite likely just be wishful thinking. However, this new "secrete announcement" has re-awoken those hopes/dreams.

To be honest, I know its not the best, but I really, really like my VR-09. With the built in effects and easy navigation, it is truly one of the best value/fun to play keyboards I've owned since maybe ever. I truly think it will be a long term classic, like the Yamah AN1x, or whatever. I'll stop there before I offend anyone.

BUT, the keyboard feel does kinda suck (or not just kinda, its too light), and there are a number of other quirks they could (I presume) be easily addressed with an update (like the distortion only having a usable range of about 1/8 turn of the knob, no way to instantly toggle the delay on and off, no separate sub-out to use a Leslie/simulator, etc.). And the way it handles registrations, is, well to put it politely, sub-optimal.

MAYBE the new Roland organ will be a VR-10, or something, that addresses these issues. And maybe included the effects/Amp simulation options of my Roland Gi. If it did, and cost ~$1,300 or less, think it would be a serious contender, and very disruptive to this niche market. I would certainly buy it!

Edited by roygbiv (09/07/17 10:31 PM)

#2877794 - 09/07/17 10:35 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: roygbiv
Truly think it will be a long term classic, like the Yamah AN1x, or whatever.

Hopefully it won't be made out of blue plastic. smirk

The AN1x was the very first VA synth I owned that wasn't a Nord Lead and I loved the sound, just couldn't get over the aesthetics. I'm shallow that way. blush
Love the aesthetics of the original Nord Lead. twothumbs
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2877815 - 09/08/17 04:18 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
The AN1x was the very first VA synth I owned that wasn't a Nord Lead and I loved the sound, just couldn't get over the aesthetics.

I tend to agree. It wasn't much to look at for sure.

Perhaps it was designed by a committee. idk

#2877918 - 09/08/17 12:51 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Synthoid]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nevertheless, Yamaha finally got it right with the CS6x, which I owned for many years as it had the best ergonomics of almost any synth/workstation of the past few decades.

I owned a used AN1x briefly -- it wasn't as bad as some say, workflow-wise, but could interrupt the creative process more than necessary, and the cheap housing did not inspire confidence of longevity.

Roland's equivalent is probably the D-50, in terms of long-term interest and breaking ground at the time of its release, and D-50 day is imminent, so maybe they're releasing a tribute edition? We'll know soon.

#2877939 - 09/08/17 01:32 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
sosho Offline

Loc: germany
Still works here , no major hickup since it came out( except scratchy vol. Poti) never got the workflow but often find a preset that I can just bend enough to work for me .

#2878020 - 09/09/17 12:40 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: zephonic]
Dockeys Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: zephonic
Against my better judgement I'm hoping the D-50 thing will not be a boutique model, but rather something like the Jupiter 80. A modern take on the classic synth.

The Jupiter 80 is due for a replacement anyway, it's like 6 years old now?

Looks like the boutique model alright....
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYz6WmDDbxS/

Interesting that they kept the joystick. Looks kinda cute but you'd need pretty small hands to use it live. Lots of these mini style machine coming on the market. You could have a big arsenal of sound these days if you combined several of these machines and with a small footprint. Then again you already have this option with a laptop and something like mainstage. Curious to see what else is coming in the next week from Roland.

#2878024 - 09/09/17 02:05 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Dockeys]
dazzjazz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney
Wow the specs say it's 16 voices!

#2878040 - 09/09/17 04:32 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: dazzjazz]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Looks like 909 day is not going to be an annual event after all.

#2878082 - 09/09/17 06:47 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: RABid]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
I guess a 606 day is next. They've done

909: TR-909 recreation
808: TR-808 recreation
606: TR-606

CR-78.... hmm

#2878510 - 09/11/17 07:22 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: GovernorSilver]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tomorrow's Roland Organ Day, 9/12/17.
Here's for some wishes fulfilled!

#2878537 - 09/12/17 01:14 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
marcmarc Offline

VR-09B what's the difference with the VR-09?
https://www.roland.com/global/products/v-combo_vr-09-b/
hope at least that it's not the VR-9's original crappy keybed!

VR-730 a VR-09 with 73 keys and some new piano sounds?
https://www.roland.com/global/products/v-combo_vr-730/

Maybe this thread could be merged with the "Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing."

Edited by marcmarc (09/12/17 01:20 AM)

#2878539 - 09/12/17 02:08 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: marcmarc]
niacin Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: down under
The VR-730 appears to have a different keybed. Waterfall keys, and there's more space behind them too before the top panel - compare the pics. So looks like they've done what they did with the Fa-07 and put better keys on the 73 key model. Can't see that they've fixed the issues with splits, effects and MIDI, but the worst aspect of the VR-09 was the keys, so hopefully this will be an improvement. Some sounds from the RD-2000.

Edit: a quick read of the manual finds same limitations as the original on applying effects to sounds in a split.

So now waiting for this and the Korg/Vox Continental to his the shelves.

#2878541 - 09/12/17 02:58 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: niacin]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
No new organ engine or update but the VR-730 will appeal to those who enjoyed the VR700 and, depending on pricing, positions itself as a budget Nord Stage.

The only difference on the VR-09B seems to be improved EPs, pianos and the tweaked rotary effect.

As already mentioned would've liked to see the structural issues fixed eg easier access to favourites/registrations etc.

EDIT: The demos on the release page are officially the worst I've ever seen.

Edited by Marillo (09/12/17 03:01 AM)

#2878542 - 09/12/17 03:08 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
UnderGroundH Offline

Loc: Keratsini, Hellas
The VR700 has one of the finest waterfall actions...
If this has the same action, and no one like the nord electro 3 has ,it will be great...

Edited by UnderGroundH (09/12/17 03:18 AM)

#2878544 - 09/12/17 03:31 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: UnderGroundH]
mobi Offline

Seems like the same midi limitations as the VR-09, can't send or receive midi CC for drawbars,

absolutely disappointing

#2878546 - 09/12/17 04:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: marcmarc]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: marcmarc
Maybe this thread could be merged with the "Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing."

Hah. I knew there was no way we'd see a brand new double manual from them, but there was one in the teaser image for the tonewheel quiz they had up (a VK88?), so a little part of me was holding out hope.

#2878547 - 09/12/17 04:03 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mobi]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm happy to see a VR-730 - like mentioned above, it's going to have to have an action identical or comparable to the 700 to gain consideration. The 09 is a pretty darn useful keyboard with poor build, action and drawbars. The drawbars look poo, so cross off one item from the list. frown But, still looks interesting. Must see if there's a sub out and if the drawbars send midi.

We might expect an dual manual Ateleir update based on VR-09 stuff next year if there is a pattern at all.

#2878549 - 09/12/17 04:27 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mobi]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: mobi
Seems like the same midi limitations as the VR-09, can't send or receive midi CC for drawbars,

absolutely disappointing

And other controls, pity, the VR 730 could have had a second life as a controller.

#2878550 - 09/12/17 05:17 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Markay]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Glad to see Roland putting out a 73 key version of the VR. Of course, it is a Roland, so the haters are going to be out in force before they ever see, touch or hear it. smile

#2878562 - 09/12/17 06:10 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: RABid]
DaBous Offline

The 73 key version is a welcome addition. I think it will be popular. Will be interesting to see how they price it and how the keyboard feels.

Current VR-09 owners get the leslie update also which is good to see.

I will probably get the 73 key version when it's available.

#2878565 - 09/12/17 06:21 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: DaBous]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

One popular UK online shop is quoting Ģ1309 for the VR730 and Ģ699 for the VR-09B

#2878573 - 09/12/17 07:19 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: nickd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Run through VR-730.

Busch.

#2878575 - 09/12/17 07:30 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: burningbusch]
tfort Offline

I keep waiting for a single-manual controller with a good keybed and MIDI implementation for organ VSTs. Maybe Crumar's upcoming "7th product" they teased about back in July will finally be it.

#2878581 - 09/12/17 07:52 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: tfort]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
FA-07 still the better option for live work I reckon grin

#2878583 - 09/12/17 07:53 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: tfort]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I too was a fan of the action on the VR700. The 730 looks to have potential. Only 22 lbs.

The deal breaker on the VR09 for me was the awful swell control. Will have to see if they've fixed that on the 730.

roccoromanucci.com

#2878585 - 09/12/17 08:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Adan]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Seems like the popular demands were not fixed (different effects assignable to both parts of a split, pedal assigning per patch, etc)... but I'm really curious about the OS update, to see that leslie type 3 in action... will try to update today before my band's rehearsal and see how it goes.... I really couldn't see what are the real differences between the classic VR (can we call it that, already? LOL) and the B, beyond some new sounds and the new OS already installed...

#2878587 - 09/12/17 08:17 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Adan]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Originally Posted By: Adan
I too was a fan of the action on the VR700. The 730 looks to have potential. Only 22 lbs.

The deal breaker on the VR09 for me was the awful swell control. Will have to see if they've fixed that on the 730.

"The deal breaker on the VR09 for me was the awful swell control. Will have to see if they've fixed that on the 730."

Very true that, it was not good! I sold mine due to that and a number of others issues I had with it ... not a bad little axe though in a pinch!

Edited by Legatoboy (09/12/17 08:18 AM)

#2878588 - 09/12/17 08:24 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Legatoboy]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The sounds in the demo video aren't bad though I would not want to try to play a Duke solo on it because somehow either the presenter or the instrument get stuck, missing the exact hit IMO by playing nor sounding good enough. Organ players aren't downgraded fusion players I hope.

T

#2878597 - 09/12/17 08:44 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: UnderGroundH]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: niacin
the worst aspect of the VR-09 was the keys, so hopefully this will be an improvement.

I liked the VR-09, but there were a number of issues with it, and honestly, to me, there were other things which were worse than the keys, which I didn't hate as much as many others do. Clearly they were poorly suited for piano use, but that wasn't what I'd mostly use the board for. For organ and synth stuff, they were okay, I've certainly played worse.

Originally Posted By: UnderGroundH
The VR700 has one of the finest waterfall actions...
If this has the same action, and no{t} one like the nord electro 3 has ,it will be great...

I don't know whether it's the same, but I am optimistic about it. I don't know whether or not every Roland waterfall action has had the same design, but they've always felt good in my experience. And this is probably a more substantial change in feel than the difference between the FA-06 and FA-07 because there is a significant difference in weight. The difference between the FA-06 and FA-07 is 6 lbs 2 ounces, for the bigger chassis and improved action. For the same changes, the difference between the VR09/VR09B and the VR730 is 9 lbs 11 oz. The board still has a decently light travel weight of just under 22 lbs, but with an action-related redesign that adds about 3.5 lbs more than the similar changes made to the FA-07, I think it will feel notably different in ways beyond the shape of the waterfall itself. That's good, as the FA-07 action is not as good as the VR-700 action (for reasons having nothing to do with the waterfall shape per se), so I'm optimistic that this is at least closer. Which brings me to...

Originally Posted By: niacin
Waterfall keys, and there's more space behind them too before the top panel - compare the pics.

Good catch. Yes, the difference in the depth of the chassis is also more than the difference in depth between the FA-06 and FA-07., with more space between the back of the keys and the control panel. This implies that the rear hinge point of the keys is likely to be further from the front, which would likely address the issue of both the FA-06 and the 07, that the keys become unresponsive toward the rear. (I have not been able to play the 06 and 07 in any kind pf proximity to each other, so I can't say that the 07 might not be better than the 06 in this respect, maybe it is, but it's still poor.) For those kinds of players who in the past were having a tough time choosing between the VR-09 and FA-06, it will be interesting to see how that equation changes when comparing the VR-730 and FA-07, if the VR has better action, but the FA is lighter.

Originally Posted By: Marillo
The only difference on the VR-09B seems to be improved EPs, pianos and the tweaked rotary effect.

As already mentioned would've liked to see the structural issues fixed eg easier access to favourites/registrations etc.

Yes, the reliance on the scroll wheel once you get past the first 16 patches was pretty bad. I understand why we're still stuck with only 4 buttons, they are repurposing the existing hardware, but they could have done a better software implementation to improve registration access even with the limited number of buttons, even if only allowing registrations to be selected through MIDI Program Change which would at least allow you to select them from things like an iPhone or your other board (depending on the other board). It is disappointing if that is still not addressed.

Originally Posted By: mobi
Seems like the same midi limitations as the VR-09, can't send or receive midi CC for drawbars

Yes, that's another big disappointment, that should have been addressed in a software rev.

Besides registration selection and MIDI CC drawbars, here are some other software fixes I'd have hoped for...

...setting footswitch for rotary toggle should not stop it from doing piano/other sustain (instead, doing nothing at all) when no organ is selected (or they could have the ability to alter the pedal's operation on a registration-by-registration basis)

...I wanted the ability to change which sound comes up by default under each of the category buttons

...I wanted a registration option to send the Upper and Lower sounds out in mono, one out the left jack and the other out the right (or some panning function that would permit the same thing), useful for sending organ sound to a Vent, or sending LH bass to its own amp or external processing (esp. useful on a 73), and other things

...the ability to hit a button (maybe double-click the Organ button?) and make the organ drawbar setting "live" (and the ability to switch away from organ having made whatever drawbar adjustments and have those same settings still be active when you switch back, which, IIRC, I could not find a way to do)

...ideally, the ability to store separate MIDI Program change commands for the Upper and Lower parts of a registration

...the ability to have some user sounds within the category select buttons (they can only be saved as registrations, which complicates using any customized sounds in splits/layers)

...there should be default overdrive and EQ settings for organ (just as there are default click and leakage), it is annoying to have to turn the overdrive knob back up every time I call up organ

...the NEXT button is useful, but there's no PREV button. Maybe they could set it up so that if you were to hit the NEXT button while the BANK button was depressed, it would become a PREV function.

...a better way to navigate, not just registrations as discussed, but also the patches within the categories. Again, the scroll wheel is awkward. There are no inc/dec buttons, but they could repurpose the registration NEXT button (which currently serves no function if you're not in Registration mode)

...it would be nice to be able to pitch bend the organ, since the lever kind of duplicates the function of the rotary button and possibly footswitch anyway. I could see people liking the lever for rotary control, it's more like the half-moon switch, but it would be nice to have the option, for those "playing with the motor switch" effects on a Hammond.

...IIRC, it is smart enough to automatically engage the rotary when you hit the main organ button, but when you already are using a (non-organ) split and change the Upper voice to organ, unfortunately it does not do the same thing. Maybe a complication of how it handles effects with splits? But it seemed to me that that should have been do-able.

#2878616 - 09/12/17 09:59 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

How in bloody blue blazes did they get the demos to sound as bad as a D-50 organ patch?

facepalm

#2878618 - 09/12/17 10:14 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
How in bloody blue blazes did they get the demos to sound as bad as a D-50 organ patch?

facepalm

Think 'think' that's what the youngins want!

Edited by Legatoboy (09/12/17 10:14 AM)

#2878637 - 09/12/17 11:15 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Legatoboy]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
[quot

[/quote]

Frank and John Lennon- 2 people everyone should have listened to.

What would Frank and John think of Rolands new digital organs ? wink

#2878658 - 09/12/17 01:23 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
Morrisseysixman Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By: Marillo
EDIT: The demos on the release page are officially the worst I've ever seen.

+1, but the Better Music demo video IS pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhKD7fFHgnY

I'm digging this VR730. I was really into the VR760 years ago, and the 730 hearkens back to that original vibe.

#2878741 - 09/12/17 06:09 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Roland gets back in the organ clone game in a big way.

I loved my VK8m. Best CV for its time, and also possibly best overdrive ever in a clone.

The VK8m sim was nothing special, but nothing else was at that time either.

#2878749 - 09/12/17 07:10 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I really liked the layout and feel of my Roland VR-760 back in the day and, while some people hated it, I liked it. This looks like a step back in the right direction of a good build, feel, wood ends, etc.

I just bought the FA-07 and I could just as easily send it back for a preorder on this, but I think the FA-07 just has so much more going on, I'm not GASing for this at all. My vote: FA-07

#2878750 - 09/12/17 07:13 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: tfort]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: tfort
I keep waiting for a single-manual controller with a good keybed and MIDI implementation for organ VSTs. Maybe Crumar's upcoming "7th product" they teased about back in July will finally be it.

Does the Mojo 61 not fit this bill? Honestly interested simply because I own a VR700...and would love to upgrade but if I do it's only going to be to something that can also work with VSTs.

#2878758 - 09/12/17 07:42 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Stokely]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

How much of a price hit would it have been to put a proper set of drawbars on the 730 instead of what looks like the 09's. Perhaps they are more robust than the 09's? Not sure yet.

The VST situation being what it is, having the drawbars send midi would seem to be a no brainer and easily implemented improvement. As would including the sub out.

Sound wise is it a significant improvement over the 700? I guess we'll see. Not too much thought appears to have gone into really differentiating this from the 09 at $899 beyond hopefully the action. On the other hand, again, the 09 has been very successful and a $1499 73k 09 is perhaps good enough. Maybe they should have just called it VR-09 73k. The 7xx designation is a little questionable. No?

21.82lbs, wooden end cheeks, I'm guessing it splits and layers properly unlike the VOX. And the iPad editor also offers more control than the VOX as well. Multiple Leslie simulations. Ok, I'm going to go play it and see what's what. Maybe they focused on some nice things here sound wise with choice picks from the supernatural collection.

#2878771 - 09/12/17 08:29 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
How much of a price hit would it have been to put a proper set of drawbars on the 730 instead of what looks like the 09's.

Probably not insignificant, because I expect they are using the exact control surface of the VR09/VR09B. A full-size drawbar set would mean fabricating a new control surface and new electronics underneath (since the component spacings wouldn't match). It's cheaper to make more use of the same board than to design an even slightly different one. That could be the bigger cost factor in making that kind of change.

The VST situation being what it is, having the drawbars send midi would seem to be a no brainer and easily implemented improvement. As would including the sub out.

I agree about the first, but not the second. Again, that would require new hardware. Not just the jack, of course, but the internal electronics that send something to it, requiring again, a board redesign, and preventing the continued use of the same board as the VR09.

Maybe they should have just called it VR-09 73k. The 7xx designation is a little questionable. No?

I would have called it the VR-709. But a rose by any other name...

I'm guessing it splits and layers properly unlike the VOX.

Presumably the same as the VR09.

#2878772 - 09/12/17 08:36 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Seems like the popular demands were not fixed (different effects assignable to both parts of a split, pedal assigning per patch, etc)... but I'm really curious about the OS update, to see that leslie type 3 in action... will try to update today before my band's rehearsal and see how it goes.... I really couldn't see what are the real differences between the classic VR (can we call it that, already? LOL) and the B, beyond some new sounds and the new OS already installed...

Is there an OS update for the classic vr-09? Didn't see any mention of that.

#2878775 - 09/12/17 08:50 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: KeyMoe]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
On Sweetwater - VR-730 is $1,499 MAP, so same price as FA-07.

#2878783 - 09/12/17 11:43 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: jeffinpghpa]
zxcvbnm098 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Disappointing to see keyboards like this (the VR-730, FA-07), at $1499, seemingly pretty pro-oriented, and yet with external power supply.

#2878790 - 09/13/17 02:19 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: zxcvbnm098]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
I have a buddy who fell in love with the VR-09 based on the videos and has been enjoying it ever since. He's a weekend warrior with his part originals, part covers rock band, software engineer by profession, and he's not obsessed about sounding exactly authentic, nor requires sophisticated splits with effects. Rather he enjoys the immediacy and knobtweakability as well as the low price and weight.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2878795 - 09/13/17 04:05 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: marczellm]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Do you know me? smirk

#2878799 - 09/13/17 04:31 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: GregC]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GregC
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
[quot

...[/quote]

"Send the little buggers right here, we'll train them for you, and our synthesizer software will be all Da Man"!

#2878806 - 09/13/17 05:54 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: zxcvbnm098]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: zxcvbnm098
Disappointing to see keyboards like this (the VR-730, FA-07), at $1499, seemingly pretty pro-oriented, and yet with external power supply.

deadhorse

Few boards in this price range have internal power supplies.

Main advantages of externals are in making the board lighter and cheaper, and cheap/easy to self-repair compared to needing to replace an internal power supply (admittedly a rare occurrence regardless). Also internationally universal, in a cheaper way than building in a universal power supply and without having to go through as much regulatory approval for each country.

The only competitor that is remotely close to these boards in both weight and price that has an internal power supply is the Kurzweil Artis7, which is still about 28 lbs compared to 17 for the FA-07 and 22 for the VR-730. The other options are either much heavier (Korg SV1, Kawai MP7) or much more expensive (Nord Electro 5, Stage 3).

At least external power supplies have gotten much better than they used to be, Now they are more often "lump in the middle" instead of wall wart, and they are much lighter (older ones could more easily break if you dropped them). As was recently discussed in relation to some comparable Korgs, the Roland style of adapter could be velcro'd to the board itself, leaving you with a reasonably common (and more robust) power cord to run from that point forward. That would largely address the complaints of an external power supply... easy breakage, or ease of leaving it behind at a gig or at home. Though it does require that your carry case be big enough to accommodate the board with the attachment.

I suspect these Rolands might be much heavier with an internal power supply, and light weight is one of their big selling points. I'm not sure about this part, but as far as I can recall, I have never seen a plastic chassis board with an internal power supply. I don't know if that's coincidence, or if there is some technical or regulatory complication in putting a power supply inside such a board. If that were the case, a board like this could get quite a bit heavier, if it meant having a metal chassis instead of a plastic one.

#2878835 - 09/13/17 07:56 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: jeffinpghpa]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: jeffinpghpa
On Sweetwater - VR-730 is $1,499 MAP, so same price as FA-07.

The VR-09B is $300 less than the FA-06. The 76 key versions of these boards (with no differences from their 61 key counterparts except the actions) cost the same. So the VR-730 action is essentially $300 more expensive than the FA-07 action, in terms of what these actions are adding to the price of their 61-key counterparts. Unless there are other advantages of the VR-730 over the VR-09B that I'm not aware of, which are also contributing to the price difference.

If someone doesn't need all the other features of the FA but wants the better action and the drawbars, well, it's still a lot cheaper than the SK1-73 and the NE5D-73.

If Roland had fixed most of those other things I listed in my earlier list of VR-09 shortcomings, I'd possibly consider it over the FA-07 I just got, if the action is that much superior. But without those changes, for my own use, there are too many gotcha's, I'll stick with the FA, if either. (And I do happen to own the Ocean Beach drawbars that work with it, if I need them.)

#2878837 - 09/13/17 08:15 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
BenWaB3 Offline

Loc: Lancaster, PA
Does anyone know if the effects section has the same limitation as the original 09, i.e., one knob simultaneously controlling 2 different parameters of the effect? That was the Achilles Heel of the original and rendered the effects totally useless, IMO.

#2878852 - 09/13/17 09:01 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In a nutshell, this is Roland's strategy when competing with Hammond, Nord, and now Crumar, Dexibell, Korg/VOX. I suspect they've sold more VR-09s than probably VR-700 and 760s combined. The 09 is successful because it eschews the cost adding features we whine about and focuses on the mission of offering features and sounds the majority need at great value. So when revisiting the 7xx line they chose to offer an 09 with an organ lovers action/keys. I wish this had also included the drawbars off the 700 rather than the 09. But as Scott suggested, it wouldn't have been as simple as dropping 09 hardware in a new case and action.

I think we've always appreciated Roland as offering synths at a great value while other developers focus on boutique products at higher price points.

#2878873 - 09/13/17 10:07 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
RABid Offline
10k Club

If the action is good, the Vent can fix the rest. smile

#2878883 - 09/13/17 10:43 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: RABid]
kenheeter Offline

It can't fix C/V on percussion....

#2878893 - 09/13/17 11:09 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Stokely]
tfort Offline

Originally Posted By: Stokely
Originally Posted By: tfort

Does the Mojo 61 not fit this bill? Honestly interested simply because I own a VR700...and would love to upgrade but if I do it's only going to be to something that can also work with VSTs.

It would if Crumar sold it for half the price without the sounds... Or ideally with a better screen and 76 keys.

I also am not sure that the MIDI implementation of the Mojo 61 would work well with MainStage.

#2878916 - 09/13/17 12:20 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: tfort]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I agree with Ken Heeter on this.

When I made a note of the fact that the percussion " warbled" when the CV was on, Craig MacDonald claimed that I must be out of my mind.... that it should make no difference blah blah etc.etc.

It was a deal breaker for me. Otherwise I have been a fan of V K engine organs. But not the VR 09.

Is there actually a new Roland organ coming out? Fingers crossed that it approaches the quality of the VK8m.

#2878980 - 09/13/17 06:32 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: LX88]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The D-5 looks like a nice layout and choice of features to directly model in the physical controllers.

Tomorrow's the big day, with several announcements vs. the one-per-day so far.

#2879087 - 09/14/17 06:11 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Did the OS update on my VR-09 "Classic" (LOL) and got the new rotary speaker sim, standard on the new VR-09B/VR-730... Gotta say that, combined with the new overdrive parameter, it gave a new life to the B3 sim... Punchier, fatter, much more 3D like even in mono... definitely worth it and got me quitting about the Lester K... Update now if you can, VR-09 owners! grin

#2879199 - 09/14/17 11:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
agitato Offline

Is that the 1.03 update, that you're talking about?

#2879213 - 09/14/17 11:40 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: agitato]
Gretel Offline

I was watching the official Roland videos for these products and thought: "Wow, I wouldn't have been that much worse". What did you think when you were watching those videos? Did the presenter did a good job at showing what those products can do?

#2879214 - 09/14/17 11:49 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Gretel]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I suspect the reason boards at this price range don't have internal power supplies is that it means they can sell them in the US without going through UL(etc) testing. All they have to do is source UL-approved supplies. The standards testing process can between quite expensive and extremely time-consuming. Never mind the inherent cost-savings of not needing, for example, a flame-proof or self-extinguishing chassis.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2879215 - 09/14/17 11:50 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: WesG]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
To B3: Thanks for the note. I have a gig tomorrow night that might need VR09 organ................I better get on this.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2879219 - 09/14/17 11:59 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: agitato]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: agitato
Is that the 1.03 update, that you're talking about?

Vers 1.11

#2879223 - 09/14/17 12:02 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: WesG]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Make sure you save your registrations first! The update erases them. I didnt save, as I use few sounds, I prefered to start all over from scratch!

But it's a big, big improvement on sound.

Originally Posted By: WesG
To B3: Thanks for the note. I have a gig tomorrow night that might need VR09 organ................I better get on this.

#2879278 - 09/14/17 03:07 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
So for the street price of maybe $1300 you get the VR09 B3 sound engine in a 73-note package with possibly very good action (if it's like the VR760). Plus a good selection of Roland pianos and other sounds. This is looking like a good bang for the buck package if you can live with something that's not quite clone-quality organ. I hope they get the swell pedal right. Again, poorly-calibrated volume pedal is no substitute for swell.

roccoromanucci.com

#2879282 - 09/14/17 03:22 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Adan]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The piano announcement is an FP-60.

SuperNATURAL Piano sound engine with 288-voice polyphony for true acoustic piano sound and response

Piano: 15 tones
E.Piano: 16 tones
Strings: 11 tones
Organ: 15 tones
Pad: 15 tones
Other: 279 tones (including 8 drum sets, 1 SFX set)

Piano Designer (Only for "Concert Piano, Ballad Piano, Mellow Piano, and Bright Piano" tones)
Lid
String Resonance
Damper Resonance
Key Off Resonance
Single Note Tuning (Stretch Tuning)
Single Note Volume
Single Note Character

PHA-4 keyboard with escapement and Ivory Feel keys for inspiring grand piano touch

Connect your smartphone or tablet wirelessly via Bluetooth and play along with favorite songs through the piano’s speaker system

Advanced onboard speaker system provides rich, powerful sound for home playing and intimate live performances

Also includes electric pianos, strings, organs, and synth sounds from Roland’s flagship instruments

Enhance performances and practice sessions with Roland’s Piano Partner 2 app and create music with Apple’s GarageBand for iOS and other leading music apps

Three-band EQ with dedicated front-panel controls

DP-10 damper pedal included; compatible with optional RPU-3 triple pedal

Optional KSC-72 stand and KPD-90 three-pedal unit provide an elegant integrated look for home use

Available in black or white finish

41 lbs 15 oz

#2879338 - 09/14/17 08:58 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Radio NWT Offline

Wow, did the 1.11 update on my original VR-09 - sounds fantastic, overdrive is sounding far, far better. Rotary much improved on as well, more options. Sounds really good, drawer bars even seem better.

#2879343 - 09/14/17 09:25 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
agitato Offline

Does the 1.11 update include the 22 extra sounds, that are on the 09b's voice list?

#2879368 - 09/15/17 04:23 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Radio NWT]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Radio NWT
Wow, did the 1.11 update on my original VR-09 - sounds fantastic, overdrive is sounding far, far better. Rotary much improved on as well, more options. Sounds really good, drawer bars even seem better.

It would be nice if these improvements to the SN organ engine made it to the FA.

#2879376 - 09/15/17 05:04 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

I am pleased that they have done an update etc but, to be honest, I am gutted that they didn't fix the midi problem in the new Vrs. I never expected another update, so the new sounds etc are a pleasant surprise, but I had been hoping that they would make a new Vr which was more sensible (i.e. You could specify which sound was the default one in each category, and of course which accepted programme change messages). As they have created two new keyboards without those features, clearly it is never going to happen. Such a shame!

Would it have been possible for them, through a firmware update, to fix the keyboards to accept programme changes?

I have not done the update yet; I have been away from my Vr this week.

#2879383 - 09/15/17 05:44 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: xKnuckles]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: xKnuckles
I had been hoping that they would make a new Vr which was more sensible (i.e. You could specify which sound was the default one in each category, and of course which accepted programme change messages).

Yeah, those were two of the many VR09 shortcomings I'd hoped they would fix, which I listed earlier in this thread, in message #2878597. The VR09/09B/730 is still a software update away from being a far more usable board.

#2879422 - 09/15/17 08:40 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
Marillo Offline

Having just done the update to my 'old' VR-09, there are no extra sounds added - just the improvement to the rotary/overdrive.

However, as others have pointed out, this really is a significant improvement and lifts the entire rock organ sound to a new level. It sounds so much more present, the leslie ramping up - and particularly down - is far more realistic, and as mentioned the overdrive is much better.

It was probably a smart move for Roland NOT to add the new sounds because I am now far more likely to upgrade to the VR-730 now that I've sampled this improvement and will get the better keybed + those new patches.

#2879438 - 09/15/17 09:35 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
roygbiv Offline

yeah, thanks guys for the inspiration, just did the update myself.

couple of quick comments/questions:

1. The new leslie version (type 3) really is an improvement. Never thought the old ones were that bad, but this really sounds better/more movement. Glad!

2. The overdrive does sound a little better, but is still not super great, overall (to me),

3. However, the overdrive does sound a bit more real/crappy (in a good way) for "combo organ" Farfisa/Vox sounds.

4. the "overdrive mix" function now added to the EFX menu is kind of subtle and/or confusing. The range goes from 0-12 (not clear what the units are), but at least on my update, you still hear overdrive on either extreme setting (0, or 12). Just seems a bit more of the original sound comes through on the "12" setting? Overall, tiny bit disappointed with this (if one is allowed to be disappointed with a free update). Definitely not a parallel mix function that I thought it might be. Or, I am doing something wrong.

5. Is it just me, or does everything sound a little more clear/punchy? Is it possible they added some more tweaks to the overall system EQ? Unfortunately, did not use the exact settings on my basement PA/stereo, but wow, i don't remember my VR09 sounding this good before. Or, its just psycho-acoustic expectation bias, etc.

6. Which brings me to my last point - WARNING - if you do this update, don't try it right before jumping into a car and heading off to a gig. It takes up to an hour (!), and you can't stop the process once it has started. Says so clearly on the download page. I gave up and went to bed after 40 min.

OVERALL - very welcome update. Definitely do it, but make sure you have enough time. Thanks Roland!

Edited by roygbiv (09/15/17 09:41 AM)

#2879443 - 09/15/17 09:51 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio

+1

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

It would be nice if these improvements to the SN organ engine made it to the FA.

#2879450 - 09/15/17 10:29 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
Radio NWT Offline

5. Is it just me, or does everything sound a little more clear/punchy? Is it possible they added some more tweaks to the overall system EQ? Unfortunately, did not use the exact settings on my basement PA/stereo, but wow, i don't remember my VR09 sounding this good before. Or, its just psycho-acoustic expectation bias, etc.

It's not just you, all of the sounds seem better, I've noticed a change in the Electic Pianos somewhat as well.

The Rock organ was quite good before and now it's quite a bit improved after the update.

was able to get a reasonable Pink Floyd 'Echoes' Hammond sound.

#2879453 - 09/15/17 10:34 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Radio NWT]
Marillo Offline

I haven't noticed a difference in any other sounds except the organ, which certainly does sound more present. You can test this by alternating between Type 2 and the new 3 in the rotary menu - it really has breathed new life into the whole engine.

But the others are identical to my ears, and Roland would surely have trumpeted any other modifications?

#2879463 - 09/15/17 11:26 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
Nadroj Online   content
Gold Member

How improved are we talking? Nord/SK levels?

#2879472 - 09/15/17 11:59 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Nadroj]
roygbiv Offline

Hard to say, having owned neither (although I have played around with a Nord 5D, although through a Behringer amp).

After the update, the VR09 defaults to a very nice sounding 888800000 Organ, with the new Type 3 Leslie setting.

That really sounds.....good. Hard to describe, just noodling around with it, kicking the Leslie on and off is a blast, really feels like an instrument, not something playing samples.

Not sure it is as good as the VR09 through my Vent, but it definitely is better. I'll do a comparison tonight.

Like Marillo says, you can tell by simply switching the Leslie from Type 3 to Type 1 or Type 2, and you immediately notice "hey, that's not as good". That kind of thing.

Tonally, the new Type 3 kinda sounds somewhere between the Type 1 (which is bright, but often too clean) and Type 2 (which is darker, and too muffled). i.e., it is Goldilocks-Just-Right.

The "motion/3D swirliness" of Type 3 also seems much better.

There is also more options to very ramp up, ramp down time, for both the horn and lower speaker, and by varying the up and down for both, sounds more organic.

Tonight I will try it through my Space Station.

But am curious if any of you other updaters have figured out how to use the "overdrive mix" function, or how it works?

#2879474 - 09/15/17 12:05 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Go into the Menu > EFX and put the OD Mix to 12 (it's a patch by patch thing, so you must do this for every registration). You will find that it's much more controllable and better sounding, thru the entire course of the knob, this way.

What values are you using for organ hi/lo gain and leslie rise/fall?

Hard to say, having owned neither (although I have played around with a Nord 5D, although through a Behringer amp).

After the update, the VR09 defaults to a very nice sounding 888800000 Organ, with the new Type 3 Leslie setting.

That really sounds.....good. Hard to describe, just noodling around with it, kicking the Leslie on and off is a blast, really feels like an instrument, not something playing samples.

Not sure it is as good as the VR09 through my Vent, but it definitely is better. I'll do a comparison tonight.

Like Marillo says, you can tell by simply switching the Leslie from Type 3 to Type 1 or Type 2, and you immediately notice "hey, that's not as good". That kind of thing.

Tonally, the new Type 3 kinda sounds somewhere between the Type 1 (which is bright, but often too clean) and Type 2 (which is darker, and too muffled). i.e., it is Goldilocks-Just-Right.

The "motion/3D swirliness" of Type 3 also seems much better.

There is also more options to very ramp up, ramp down time, for both the horn and lower speaker, and by varying the up and down for both, sounds more organic.

Tonight I will try it through my Space Station.

But am curious if any of you other updaters have figured out how to use the "overdrive mix" function, or how it works?

#2879511 - 09/15/17 02:48 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
roygbiv Offline

hi B3 - thanks
Interesting, this morning I ended up doing the 12 setting as you suggested, based purely on what sounded best. Glad to know that's the right way to do it - I picked a Transistor organ patch, which is really buzzy, and as you turn up the gain, with the Mix set to zero, it rapidly turns to mush. with the Mix value turned up to 12, still pretty distorted, but just sounds "fuller".

In the past, its been my experience you want to turn the Organ gain to 5 or 6, that gives you more headroom with adding overdrive before it sounds crappy. Didn't have time to check that with the new function.

When I get home tonight I'll check the orgain gain and rise/fall times.

#2879515 - 09/15/17 03:01 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
Marillo Offline

I don't quite get the new overdrive feature either. Wasn't it always possible to add overdrive to a sound? What has changed?

As for whether the new organ is near Nord - I'd say the gap has closed but it's still there. It's still unmistakably the Roland COSM modelling, but just much punchier and with better rotary.

But I will say it has quelled some of my previous GAS for an Electro 5, particularly taking into account cost. If anything my GAS has transferred to the VR-730, which I think would team up very well with an FA-06 above.

#2879516 - 09/15/17 03:18 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
roygbiv Offline

I agree with everything you just said Marillo -

- overdrive (with mix inter dry "mix setting" set to 12) sounds better, but hard to define why. It really doesn't seem to be parallel mixing, as you can hear distortion whether the mix setting is at 0, or at 12. Just that 12 sounds a bit better, or different.

- still sounds like Roland organ modeling, but sounds better.

- probably not as good as Nord, but not $1,600 dollars worse smirk

- totally agree about GAS shift - was thinking about this in the shower this morning actually - pretty smart move of Roland to give update to old VR09s, will help retailers sell out their old stock, and will help to lure a non-insignificant number of current VR09 owners to trade up to a VR 730 (thus selling more VR 730's).

I'm thinking if VR730 street price is ~ $1300, and I sold my VR09 for $650 or so, for another $650 it might be worth it to get teh same overall sound package with better, bigger keyboard.

#2879532 - 09/15/17 04:49 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
agitato Offline

The original 09 had approximately 223 sounds, the new 09b has 245. Does anyone have any info as to what those additional sounds are? Also, is keyboard the same as the original? Am thinking if it might/or not be worth it to just get the new 09b and sell mine, which is only a few months old, or just update mine if those different sounds are nice, and new lcd screen and panel layout might not be easier to see on a dark stage. Sorry for the rambling questions.

#2879535 - 09/15/17 05:16 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: agitato]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
didn't somebody said that roland was 2 announce a new workstation??

#2879547 - 09/15/17 06:27 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Ensenada Guide]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Any good? Same collection can be loaded in VR-09 and 730?
http://axial.roland.com/articles/the-cover-band-collection/

#2879554 - 09/15/17 07:21 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
roygbiv Offline

Some of the sounds are pretty good,but mostly are synthy-type sounds.

Also, I found I was a little disappointed by some of the patches. Not because they were bad. However, some of the names suggest a famous song, and of course you think it is going to be the most famous synth riff or hook in that song...and its not that. Rather, its a background pad sound in that famous song, but not the "main" sound in the main riff.

Not saying they are all like that, but definitely a few are. Enough that I remember, and that was over a year ago.

#2879556 - 09/15/17 07:23 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
roygbiv Offline

having said all that above, there are some very good patches in there, which really show off the powerful synth capabilities of the VR09. Good for use in other songs as well. And the price is right.

The other thing I'm excited about with the instruments is hopefully more Axial sound banks will be released - the Cover Band Collection came out almost 2 years ago (maybe not quite that long), and nothing else has come out since.

With Roland obviously doubling down on the basic sound engine for the VR09b and VR730, I think there is now a much better chance they will release some more sound banks. Hoping so anyway.

#2879569 - 09/15/17 08:25 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
roygbiv Offline

Ooh ooh

I think I understand the new "Dry Mix" feature for the overdrive.

The manual on page 47 says:

"OD/Dry Mix Level
Specifying the Volume of Direct Sound Mixed with Overdrive (OD/
Dry Mix Level)

This specifies the volume of the direct sound that is mixed with the overdrive.

0–12"

So, I think all the higher range values are doing is increasing the volume of the original, non-distorted signal. Effectively decreasing the relative amount of signal that is distorted.

This would make sense with my own experience this morning - i.e., one always hears distortion whether it is set at 0 or up to 12, but why the high (12) setting is noticeably louder, and also sounds better. There is more non-distorted signal mixed in, which gives a more full sound.

#2879575 - 09/15/17 08:43 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
Radio NWT Offline

The EP's likely sound better because of the improvement to the overdrive I suppose.

The original VR had less sounds, and with the first upgrade they added a number of new patches - the best of which was the 'Pure Wurly' which was actually quite good. I'm thinking the VR09 B simply has those extra patches added on by default.

The were also some pretty cool Jupiter patches if I recall.

I don't think anything's going to help that Transister/Vox organ on the VR though, that is just awful. I was getting superior Vox sounds out of my Yamaha SY35 20+ years ago then this one, very close to Ray Manzarek's studio sound from the early albums, but the VR....no go, probably not without the editor app.

Edited by Radio NWT (09/15/17 08:56 PM)

#2879582 - 09/15/17 09:45 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Radio NWT]
roygbiv Offline

Just checked - the EPs are a little better.

What puzzles me is that it seems they may have somehow tweaked something with the sound engine, if that is possible.

Could they have changed the D/A conversion on the output, or tweaked the EQ? The overall sound seems somehow more clear and present. Or i'm just imagining things.

But the real winner is the organ sound that appears when you 1st boot up the keyboard. It sounds great, seriously. Sounds extra great with the new Type 3 Leslie.

But even better through a Vent! Just tried that, really sounds fantastic, very thick and organic sounding. Excellent new patch. I got lost wigging out on a bad version of Green Onions for minutes, just digging the sound.

#2879583 - 09/15/17 09:48 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
roygbiv Offline

PS - don't completely agree about the transistor organ engine.

Sure, its no Vox, or Farfisa either. Frankly, I think they modeled it after a Japanese style transistor organ, which are more polite. (I recently got a 60's AceTone, and the sound is tonally similar.

But, the combo organ sound in the VR09 can definitely be tweaked to give a pretty convincing cutting transistor sound - the trick is to use the Leslie set to no rotation, and add a bit of distortion, plus compression. Gets a pretty good rockin combo organ vibe going on.

#2879668 - 09/16/17 11:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
partyarty Offline

Type 3 is definitely a notch up.. Great adding life to the old keyboard. Now if I could only find those drawbar knobs!! I think I have one left on the keyboard.. come off way too easy for gigging..

Edited by partyarty (09/16/17 01:55 PM)

#2879855 - 09/17/17 04:41 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: partyarty]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

I too sense a more punchy overall sound after the update. Have spent all day comparing my saved registrations with the factory resets and trying to decide what to keep. Really digging Type3. Wow, gotta find that OD setting in the effects menu. Big thanks to all who've posted about that.

I gigged the thing hard for what now, four years? I did lose one of the fader caps the first year. Had to contact Roland directly and got two of the color I lost and a backup of each of the others. Haven't lost another yet. However, I do make a point to press down on them now and then to make sure they are well seated.

Dang fine board for gigging just got better...just don't try to midi it up to anything.

#2879885 - 09/17/17 09:59 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: brenner13]
partyarty Offline

Ive looked for the od setting, not finding it.. menu EFX and all I see are the old effects list, nothing about OD setting at all, so did my update not go right or am I looking in the wrong place?

#2879909 - 09/18/17 03:09 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: partyarty]
Radio NWT Offline

Originally Posted By: partyarty
Ive looked for the od setting, not finding it.. menu EFX and all I see are the old effects list, nothing about OD setting at all, so did my update not go right or am I looking in the wrong place?

Menu ---> EFX ---> click the 'UP Arrow' once, you should she the OD setting which you can dial up to 12.

Once you have it set to 12 (or thereabout) the behaviour of the overdrive knob changes, before it used to just kick in, now there's more control.

Evidently another new feature is you're apparently able to load Wave files into the looper, although I haven't discovered how yet.

Really appreciate Roland's effort on this, it's my go to board for new ideas, 6 or 7 of my better ones that I've been working on came out of this thing, hopefully a few more will come.

EDIT: Ok so when you view your song list on your USB stick, and highlight the WAV file, press the 'LOOPER' button and it will load the file back into the Looper.

This is a great fix as you couldn't re-load your previously created loops back in before. Friggen awesome.

Edited by Radio NWT (09/18/17 03:26 AM)

#2879984 - 09/18/17 09:39 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Radio NWT]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Watch out with that OD setting: even with as little as 5, I notice a little bit of digital clipping in the headphones; more noticeable as the MFX knob is increased.

edit:
Hmmm...that clipping seems to more to do with the hotter Type 3 Rotary, and adding additional gain with things like OD and MFX: Twin Rotary, may over-tax the D/A converter?

#2880125 - 09/18/17 10:41 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Radio NWT]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

I don't think anything's going to help that Transister/Vox organ on the VR though, that is just awful. I was getting superior Vox sounds out of my Yamaha SY35 20+ years ago then this one, very close to Ray Manzarek's studio sound from the early albums, but the VR....no go, probably not without the editor app.

Hi Radio. I have to disagree with this. I use the transistor sounds a lot (playing ska) and they sound excellent. They do require a bit of tweaking though - but no need to use the editor app (I have never attempted to use that). They can simply be tweaked using the normal knobs.

This thread is so crazily long that I have - on my ipad notepad - created my own, abbreviated version of it which contains some excellent practical tips. Every time someone posts something amazingly useful I have tended to add it to my collection. There was an earlier post which I found really helpful in nailing the sound. I won't suggest that you trawl back through this haystack of a thread to find it....but fortunately it features in my personal condensed version. smile It was posted by an ex forum member who is an expert on the Vr-09. (Thanks again Craig!)

Originally Posted By: Craig McDonald

Volume - First, turn the volume up to 12 (from the default of 10)!! Every little bit of volume helps..

Compressor - I find that with the compressor on (or up near 9 as Brenner suggested) the overall sound/volume fades in and out depending on whether you're playing bass notes, and this is just a major distraction for me, so I set the compressor to zero

Tone - For me I think the transistor organ needs to be way brighter so I turn the tone right up to the top, all the way clockwise.. this gives me the brightest tone that I can get out of the VR-09 (at least through my QSC K10's).

Vibrato - select V3 vibrato because the vibrato on the Vox Continental is very prounounced. In the mix with a band, I think it's OK to overemphasize an effect like this so that it's heard in the mix.

Sparkle - Rather than using the leslie to give it "girth" (as Brenner did), I use the Chorus MFX and dial it up to about 12:00. To me, this gives the transistor organs a bit of sparkle that I don't hear in the basic samples.

Now this is important.. to help the transistor organ, sound more authentic and cut better, you have to back off the 16' and 8' drawbars a bit.. If you listen to the Vox Continental demo here you'll see that the basic tone is pretty close but the real Vox is just way brighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9xc5nh5kw8

So after I've done all of this, I do one last thing and that is to turn up the highs on the VR channel in my mixer to achieve that piercing brightness that the original Vox Continental has that the VR-09 seems to be missing. So turn the treble up in your amp or your monitor this will help the overall tone sound more authentic AND help it cut. This is a bit of a pain because adding brightness to your amp/mixer will affect your other sounds as well.. but if it's not convenient to adjust this during a performance, you can turn it up and simply eq out some of the highs on your other sounds/registrations..

If you watch the demo closely and follow it on the VR you will notice that there are a couple of distinct differences between the VR design and the Vox Continental.. eg. on the VR one of the tones is "folded back" on the lowest octaves) but now that I've spent some time with it, I think that it's possible to get a pretty good approximation of the Vox Continental tone. Hopefully you will find my suggested tweaks helpful, but it's not perfect by any means.. hopefully this gives you a place to start to come up with a Vox sound that you're reasonably happy with!!

If anyone from Roland is reading this.. updating the Transistor organ with brighter tones would make this a much better sounding combo organ!!

#2880142 - Yesterday at 03:40 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: xKnuckles]
Radio NWT Offline

Hey xKnuckls - I can see that it would work for Ska type music, I hadn't thought of that. Had the blinders on - whenever I think transistor organ I immediately default to thinking of the Doors. Just my own myopic view on thing i guess, lol.

The holy grail for me is the Vox Continental Manzarek had on 'When the Music's Over'.

great work on that list.

Edited by Radio NWT (Yesterday at 03:45 AM)

#2880150 - Yesterday at 04:26 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Radio NWT]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Again, I meant 9 o'clock, which is barely any compression, but just enough to kick up the presence a bit.

#2880152 - Yesterday at 05:09 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: brenner13]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Hi Brenner - I think I should have edited that quote from Craig - which is literally about 3 years old or more....thus referring to a completely different post of yours - not the one which you made yesterday....
Apologies for the confusion. I have incorporated many of your excellent suggestions into my sounds as well. smile

#2880198 - Yesterday at 08:09 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: xKnuckles]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

I know...I only hold grudges for about...forever rolleyes

BTW, totally love the new Rotary Stop by pushing up on the paddle. The virtual horn randomly stops in any direction so you can quickly bump the paddle twice nudging the horn to provide a tone to your tastes. Pretty cool stereo effect in the headphones.

#2880334 - Yesterday at 07:30 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: brenner13]
partyarty Offline

yes, I also enjoyed hitting the paddle up to hear the stop, finally found the od parameter by hitting the arrow on the left instead of looking through the efx menu duhh.. so wonderful improvements to an already decent sounding instrument..Big thing is I really thought this instrument was passed by from support, with the v730 and vr09b we can only hope this resets the clock for further improvements..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner