Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2877145 - 09/05/17 06:03 AM September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs?
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
http://rekkerd.org/roland-to-unveil-new-...-festival-2017/

I'm mildly curious about the D-50 stuff (new boutique module?), but very curious about the organ announcements next Tuesday the 12th. Anyone know if these are aimed at the pro market, or more for worship type uses?

KC Island
#2877146 - 09/05/17 06:08 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

A "new" VR09 on the way, maybe?

#2877152 - 09/05/17 06:43 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Dang, there they go, Redefining the Future again. I was just getting over the last time they did that!

hitt hitt poke poke hitt hitt taz taz hitt hitt

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2877154 - 09/05/17 06:47 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
Nadroj Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Dang, there they go, Redefining the Future again. I was just getting over the last time they did that!

thu

#2877155 - 09/05/17 06:50 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
Nadroj Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally Posted By: To B3
A "new" VR09 on the way, maybe?

Same old SN organ engine in a slightly different plastic chassis with waterfall keys. Some additional SN tones. Lots of daft little quirks that make the organ less useable than any other clone. A D-beam. Unecrssary real estate on both sides of the keyboard.

#2877166 - 09/05/17 07:51 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Nadroj]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom

#2877169 - 09/05/17 07:55 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: xKnuckles]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
VR-7xx would be awesome - really curious where they would focus on improvements. Stuff like a sub out, competitive Leslie sim.

#2877216 - 09/05/17 10:53 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
That would be my luck!!! I just bought a VR-09 last month.......

#2877220 - 09/05/17 11:11 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: KeyMoe]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

fix the horrible MIDI implementation like they kind of finally did on my FA08

#2877225 - 09/05/17 11:26 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: EscapeRocks]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
As much as I hate to suggest that you guys aren't the center of the Roland universe --- and that everything they do is merely to give you fodder to bitch and moan here on KC --- you realize Roland also does a full series of digital church organs, right? snax

Clonk

Okay, back to gathering your torches, and whatever you do, completely ignore the concept of caveat emptor. wave

#2877227 - 09/05/17 11:38 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Sven Golly]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I have the VR-700.

Even if they kept the same organ and:
- kept the keybed
- added the pianos and synths, maybe improved again, from the VR09
- reduced the size (I simply don't need a 76-note mostly-for-organ board)
- reduced the weight (as long as the nice keys remain!)

And it probably isn't too much to ask for an improved organ at this point, that engine has been around for a while.

I'd really want to buy one. Unfortunately it would make it even harder to sell mine smile I like mine, a lot, but I'd like to sell and get either an electro or mojo 61. Lighter and smaller.

We shall see smile

#2877231 - 09/05/17 11:46 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Stokely]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Stokely
I have the VR-700.

Even if they kept the same organ and:
- kept the keybed
- added the pianos and synths, maybe improved again, from the VR09
- reduced the size (I simply don't need a 76-note mostly-for-organ board)
- reduced the weight (as long as the nice keys remain!)

And it probably isn't too much to ask for an improved organ at this point, that engine has been around for a while.

See, this is a reasonable request. Which guarantees Roland will never do it. The first thing they do is toss the beautiful action, then they add the weird bells and whistles.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2877236 - 09/05/17 12:18 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
The way to know if your in an alternate universe.
Roland adds features you want and removes the D Beam!

#2877318 - 09/05/17 08:18 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: EscapeRocks]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
fix the horrible MIDI implementation like they kind of finally did on my FA08

Just messed with the the midi in the vr-09 today, and it is very, very clumsy and really doesnt have to be. Would have been nice if they had a forth mode that was straight forward. Nice little practice board, despite the short comings. Although, good thing I picked it up at a great price otherwise it would have been going back!

#2877335 - 09/05/17 10:36 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: KeyMoe]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I didn't click until now, so didn't notice the biggest part of their announcement, which didn't interest the posters here: a new digital wind instrument.

Is it in the Aerophone family, or something entirely different? Either way, I have very strong interest as I've been pondering the Aerophone as it is.

I doubt that the digital organ is a clonewheel, as I don't think they use that category for those. More likely one of their actual church-oriented organs (they bought a major church organ company years ago), or even an update of the baroque organ/harpsichord (it's been many years now).

#2877341 - 09/05/17 10:54 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Against my better judgement I'm hoping the D-50 thing will not be a boutique model, but rather something like the Jupiter 80. A modern take on the classic synth.

The Jupiter 80 is due for a replacement anyway, it's like 6 years old now?

#2877368 - 09/06/17 05:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: zephonic]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: zephonic
I'm hoping the D-50 thing will not be a boutique model, but rather something like the Jupiter 80. A modern take on the classic synth.

Yes, please. thu

#2877374 - 09/06/17 05:53 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Dont know if it's a clue, but on the Roland link, ther's a little quiz, totally clonewheel/hammond oriented... anyway, I'm hoping that it's something like that, in the VR-09 route...

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I didn't click until now, so didn't notice the biggest part of their announcement, which didn't interest the posters here: a new digital wind instrument.

Is it in the Aerophone family, or something entirely different? Either way, I have very strong interest as I've been pondering the Aerophone as it is.

I doubt that the digital organ is a clonewheel, as I don't think they use that category for those. More likely one of their actual church-oriented organs (they bought a major church organ company years ago), or even an update of the baroque organ/harpsichord (it's been many years now).

#2877375 - 09/06/17 06:10 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: To B3]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: To B3
Dont know if it's a clue, but on the Roland link, there's a little quiz, totally clonewheel/hammond oriented...

Good catch! I think it probably is a clue, unless marketing has no idea what product development is doing. The synth quiz does include a question specifically about the kind of synthesis in the D50. And yup, 5 of the 6 "organ" questions refer to Hammond tonewheel organs.

One of the complaints about the Jupiter 50/80 (the first organ tech marketed with a "SuperNatural" moniker) was that they were particularly unsuitable for rock. Coincidentally or not, one of the quiz questions specifically defines the Hammond as "a popular jazz organ." Maybe that is indeed how Roland primarily sees it.

#2877718 - 09/07/17 01:27 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Today is the wind announcement, and it's just an ugly carbon black edition of the existing AE-10 MIDI controller. Oh well.

There's still room for some excitement in the days to come. I'm also wondering if any of the other soft synths will become available individually, or whether they're going to stick with the subscription-only model for the Jupiter et al.

#2877719 - 09/07/17 01:31 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
Today is the wind announcement, and it's just an ugly carbon black edition of the existing AE-10 MIDI controller. Oh well.

Great, 0 for 1. Can't wait for the others.....

#2877720 - 09/07/17 01:31 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Lee T Offline

Loc: North West UK
I don't mind the subscription model, but what they have to fix is that you have to be online every time the plugin is loaded. Fine for the studio but totally impractical for live work.

#2877743 - 09/07/17 04:27 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Lee T]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ah, yes, that's a HUGE problem for me. I owned the host hardware briefly, but got too much finger pain from the hard landing with zero weight or velocity, but more than anything else was annoyed by the poor integration between hardware and software, the outrageous prerequisites, and not being able to get the plug-ins to work as controllers for the hardware's cached parameters.

Nevertheless, I think their upcoming "special day" for a synthesizer announcement, is more likely to refer to a hardware product than a software product, and it's also looking from the picture that goes with "Organ Day" that it's a clonewheel after all and not a church console organ -- those might be dealt with via a different website/division than "Roland USA".

#2877746 - 09/07/17 05:03 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
I first saw the VR-700 at NAMM 2010

It was followed at NAMM 2011 by the ATELIER Combo AT-350C.

Since then we've seen Nord and Hammond dominate in this area, Crumar/GSi get picked up by US dealers, StudioLogic as well, the Legend has finally happened thanks to Viscount with apparent US distribution, Korg has a VOX Continental, Uhl is making HX3 based instruments, Dexibell has a Combo J7.

Roland has been plodding along successfully with the sub $1k VR-09 but it would be great to see them back in the game.

#2877751 - 09/07/17 06:57 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

I never knew the future was defined in the first place. idk

#2877765 - 09/07/17 08:29 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: DulceLabs.com]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Kansas
So still a few years before we see a VariOS/Aria enhanced Super Natural Flying V-Synth Fantom with ultra sampling abilities on a drum pad embedded workstation with a 10 inch touchscreen? Need loads of MIDI assignable tactile knobs and sliders. Must be available in all three popular (FULL-SIZED!) keybed sizes, all with killer aftertouch. Of course MIDI In Out AND Through simultaneously working with three different USB's and built in wireless transceivers; Under 3 grand? 256Gb storage and 32Gb RAM to run third party software? Okay, under 4 grand. 35 lbs tops.

#2877791 - 09/07/17 10:24 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: brenner13]
roygbiv Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
As soon as I heard about the new Korg/Vox Organ being released, my first thought was - "ooh, maybe Roland will have to release their VR-09 update"

But of course realized that was quite likely just be wishful thinking. However, this new "secrete announcement" has re-awoken those hopes/dreams.

To be honest, I know its not the best, but I really, really like my VR-09. With the built in effects and easy navigation, it is truly one of the best value/fun to play keyboards I've owned since maybe ever. I truly think it will be a long term classic, like the Yamah AN1x, or whatever. I'll stop there before I offend anyone.

BUT, the keyboard feel does kinda suck (or not just kinda, its too light), and there are a number of other quirks they could (I presume) be easily addressed with an update (like the distortion only having a usable range of about 1/8 turn of the knob, no way to instantly toggle the delay on and off, no separate sub-out to use a Leslie/simulator, etc.). And the way it handles registrations, is, well to put it politely, sub-optimal.

MAYBE the new Roland organ will be a VR-10, or something, that addresses these issues. And maybe included the effects/Amp simulation options of my Roland Gi. If it did, and cost ~$1,300 or less, think it would be a serious contender, and very disruptive to this niche market. I would certainly buy it!

Edited by roygbiv (09/07/17 10:31 PM)

#2877794 - 09/07/17 10:35 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: roygbiv]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: roygbiv
Truly think it will be a long term classic, like the Yamah AN1x, or whatever.

Hopefully it won't be made out of blue plastic. smirk

The AN1x was the very first VA synth I owned that wasn't a Nord Lead and I loved the sound, just couldn't get over the aesthetics. I'm shallow that way. blush
Love the aesthetics of the original Nord Lead. twothumbs
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2877815 - 09/08/17 04:18 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
The AN1x was the very first VA synth I owned that wasn't a Nord Lead and I loved the sound, just couldn't get over the aesthetics.

I tend to agree. It wasn't much to look at for sure.

Perhaps it was designed by a committee. idk

#2877918 - 09/08/17 12:51 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Synthoid]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nevertheless, Yamaha finally got it right with the CS6x, which I owned for many years as it had the best ergonomics of almost any synth/workstation of the past few decades.

I owned a used AN1x briefly -- it wasn't as bad as some say, workflow-wise, but could interrupt the creative process more than necessary, and the cheap housing did not inspire confidence of longevity.

Roland's equivalent is probably the D-50, in terms of long-term interest and breaking ground at the time of its release, and D-50 day is imminent, so maybe they're releasing a tribute edition? We'll know soon.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner