Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2877939 - 09/08/17 01:32 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
sosho Offline

Loc: germany
Still works here , no major hickup since it came out( except scratchy vol. Poti) never got the workflow but often find a preset that I can just bend enough to work for me .

KC Island
#2878020 - 09/09/17 12:40 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: zephonic]
Dockeys Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: zephonic
Against my better judgement I'm hoping the D-50 thing will not be a boutique model, but rather something like the Jupiter 80. A modern take on the classic synth.

The Jupiter 80 is due for a replacement anyway, it's like 6 years old now?

Looks like the boutique model alright....
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYz6WmDDbxS/

Interesting that they kept the joystick. Looks kinda cute but you'd need pretty small hands to use it live. Lots of these mini style machine coming on the market. You could have a big arsenal of sound these days if you combined several of these machines and with a small footprint. Then again you already have this option with a laptop and something like mainstage. Curious to see what else is coming in the next week from Roland.

#2878024 - 09/09/17 02:05 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Dockeys]
dazzjazz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney
Wow the specs say it's 16 voices!

#2878040 - 09/09/17 04:32 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: dazzjazz]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Looks like 909 day is not going to be an annual event after all.

#2878082 - 09/09/17 06:47 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: RABid]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
I guess a 606 day is next. They've done

909: TR-909 recreation
808: TR-808 recreation
606: TR-606

CR-78.... hmm

#2878510 - 09/11/17 07:22 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: GovernorSilver]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Tomorrow's Roland Organ Day, 9/12/17.
Here's for some wishes fulfilled!

#2878537 - 09/12/17 01:14 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
marcmarc Offline

VR-09B what's the difference with the VR-09?
https://www.roland.com/global/products/v-combo_vr-09-b/
hope at least that it's not the VR-9's original crappy keybed!

VR-730 a VR-09 with 73 keys and some new piano sounds?
https://www.roland.com/global/products/v-combo_vr-730/

Maybe this thread could be merged with the "Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing."

Edited by marcmarc (09/12/17 01:20 AM)

#2878539 - 09/12/17 02:08 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: marcmarc]
niacin Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: down under
The VR-730 appears to have a different keybed. Waterfall keys, and there's more space behind them too before the top panel - compare the pics. So looks like they've done what they did with the Fa-07 and put better keys on the 73 key model. Can't see that they've fixed the issues with splits, effects and MIDI, but the worst aspect of the VR-09 was the keys, so hopefully this will be an improvement. Some sounds from the RD-2000.

Edit: a quick read of the manual finds same limitations as the original on applying effects to sounds in a split.

So now waiting for this and the Korg/Vox Continental to his the shelves.

#2878541 - 09/12/17 02:58 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: niacin]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
No new organ engine or update but the VR-730 will appeal to those who enjoyed the VR700 and, depending on pricing, positions itself as a budget Nord Stage.

The only difference on the VR-09B seems to be improved EPs, pianos and the tweaked rotary effect.

As already mentioned would've liked to see the structural issues fixed eg easier access to favourites/registrations etc.

EDIT: The demos on the release page are officially the worst I've ever seen.

Edited by Marillo (09/12/17 03:01 AM)

#2878542 - 09/12/17 03:08 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
UnderGroundH Offline

Loc: Keratsini, Hellas
The VR700 has one of the finest waterfall actions...
If this has the same action, and no one like the nord electro 3 has ,it will be great...

Edited by UnderGroundH (09/12/17 03:18 AM)

#2878544 - 09/12/17 03:31 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: UnderGroundH]
mobi Offline

Seems like the same midi limitations as the VR-09, can't send or receive midi CC for drawbars,

absolutely disappointing

#2878546 - 09/12/17 04:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: marcmarc]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: marcmarc
Maybe this thread could be merged with the "Keyboards whose product release were very disappointing."

Hah. I knew there was no way we'd see a brand new double manual from them, but there was one in the teaser image for the tonewheel quiz they had up (a VK88?), so a little part of me was holding out hope.

#2878547 - 09/12/17 04:03 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mobi]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
I'm happy to see a VR-730 - like mentioned above, it's going to have to have an action identical or comparable to the 700 to gain consideration. The 09 is a pretty darn useful keyboard with poor build, action and drawbars. The drawbars look poo, so cross off one item from the list. frown But, still looks interesting. Must see if there's a sub out and if the drawbars send midi.

We might expect an dual manual Ateleir update based on VR-09 stuff next year if there is a pattern at all.

#2878549 - 09/12/17 04:27 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mobi]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: mobi
Seems like the same midi limitations as the VR-09, can't send or receive midi CC for drawbars,

absolutely disappointing

And other controls, pity, the VR 730 could have had a second life as a controller.

#2878550 - 09/12/17 05:17 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Markay]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Glad to see Roland putting out a 73 key version of the VR. Of course, it is a Roland, so the haters are going to be out in force before they ever see, touch or hear it. smile

#2878562 - 09/12/17 06:10 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: RABid]
DaBous Offline

The 73 key version is a welcome addition. I think it will be popular. Will be interesting to see how they price it and how the keyboard feels.

Current VR-09 owners get the leslie update also which is good to see.

I will probably get the 73 key version when it's available.

#2878565 - 09/12/17 06:21 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: DaBous]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UK
One popular UK online shop is quoting Ģ1309 for the VR730 and Ģ699 for the VR-09B

#2878573 - 09/12/17 07:19 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: nickd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Run through VR-730.

Busch.

#2878575 - 09/12/17 07:30 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: burningbusch]
tfort Offline

I keep waiting for a single-manual controller with a good keybed and MIDI implementation for organ VSTs. Maybe Crumar's upcoming "7th product" they teased about back in July will finally be it.

#2878581 - 09/12/17 07:52 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: tfort]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
FA-07 still the better option for live work I reckon grin

#2878583 - 09/12/17 07:53 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: tfort]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I too was a fan of the action on the VR700. The 730 looks to have potential. Only 22 lbs.

The deal breaker on the VR09 for me was the awful swell control. Will have to see if they've fixed that on the 730.

roccoromanucci.com

#2878585 - 09/12/17 08:02 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Adan]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Seems like the popular demands were not fixed (different effects assignable to both parts of a split, pedal assigning per patch, etc)... but I'm really curious about the OS update, to see that leslie type 3 in action... will try to update today before my band's rehearsal and see how it goes.... I really couldn't see what are the real differences between the classic VR (can we call it that, already? LOL) and the B, beyond some new sounds and the new OS already installed...

#2878587 - 09/12/17 08:17 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Adan]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Originally Posted By: Adan
I too was a fan of the action on the VR700. The 730 looks to have potential. Only 22 lbs.

The deal breaker on the VR09 for me was the awful swell control. Will have to see if they've fixed that on the 730.

"The deal breaker on the VR09 for me was the awful swell control. Will have to see if they've fixed that on the 730."

Very true that, it was not good! I sold mine due to that and a number of others issues I had with it ... not a bad little axe though in a pinch!

Edited by Legatoboy (09/12/17 08:18 AM)

#2878588 - 09/12/17 08:24 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Legatoboy]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The sounds in the demo video aren't bad though I would not want to try to play a Duke solo on it because somehow either the presenter or the instrument get stuck, missing the exact hit IMO by playing nor sounding good enough. Organ players aren't downgraded fusion players I hope.

T

#2878597 - 09/12/17 08:44 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: UnderGroundH]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: niacin
the worst aspect of the VR-09 was the keys, so hopefully this will be an improvement.

I liked the VR-09, but there were a number of issues with it, and honestly, to me, there were other things which were worse than the keys, which I didn't hate as much as many others do. Clearly they were poorly suited for piano use, but that wasn't what I'd mostly use the board for. For organ and synth stuff, they were okay, I've certainly played worse.

Originally Posted By: UnderGroundH
The VR700 has one of the finest waterfall actions...
If this has the same action, and no{t} one like the nord electro 3 has ,it will be great...

I don't know whether it's the same, but I am optimistic about it. I don't know whether or not every Roland waterfall action has had the same design, but they've always felt good in my experience. And this is probably a more substantial change in feel than the difference between the FA-06 and FA-07 because there is a significant difference in weight. The difference between the FA-06 and FA-07 is 6 lbs 2 ounces, for the bigger chassis and improved action. For the same changes, the difference between the VR09/VR09B and the VR730 is 9 lbs 11 oz. The board still has a decently light travel weight of just under 22 lbs, but with an action-related redesign that adds about 3.5 lbs more than the similar changes made to the FA-07, I think it will feel notably different in ways beyond the shape of the waterfall itself. That's good, as the FA-07 action is not as good as the VR-700 action (for reasons having nothing to do with the waterfall shape per se), so I'm optimistic that this is at least closer. Which brings me to...

Originally Posted By: niacin
Waterfall keys, and there's more space behind them too before the top panel - compare the pics.

Good catch. Yes, the difference in the depth of the chassis is also more than the difference in depth between the FA-06 and FA-07., with more space between the back of the keys and the control panel. This implies that the rear hinge point of the keys is likely to be further from the front, which would likely address the issue of both the FA-06 and the 07, that the keys become unresponsive toward the rear. (I have not been able to play the 06 and 07 in any kind pf proximity to each other, so I can't say that the 07 might not be better than the 06 in this respect, maybe it is, but it's still poor.) For those kinds of players who in the past were having a tough time choosing between the VR-09 and FA-06, it will be interesting to see how that equation changes when comparing the VR-730 and FA-07, if the VR has better action, but the FA is lighter.

Originally Posted By: Marillo
The only difference on the VR-09B seems to be improved EPs, pianos and the tweaked rotary effect.

As already mentioned would've liked to see the structural issues fixed eg easier access to favourites/registrations etc.

Yes, the reliance on the scroll wheel once you get past the first 16 patches was pretty bad. I understand why we're still stuck with only 4 buttons, they are repurposing the existing hardware, but they could have done a better software implementation to improve registration access even with the limited number of buttons, even if only allowing registrations to be selected through MIDI Program Change which would at least allow you to select them from things like an iPhone or your other board (depending on the other board). It is disappointing if that is still not addressed.

Originally Posted By: mobi
Seems like the same midi limitations as the VR-09, can't send or receive midi CC for drawbars

Yes, that's another big disappointment, that should have been addressed in a software rev.

Besides registration selection and MIDI CC drawbars, here are some other software fixes I'd have hoped for...

...setting footswitch for rotary toggle should not stop it from doing piano/other sustain (instead, doing nothing at all) when no organ is selected (or they could have the ability to alter the pedal's operation on a registration-by-registration basis)

...I wanted the ability to change which sound comes up by default under each of the category buttons

...I wanted a registration option to send the Upper and Lower sounds out in mono, one out the left jack and the other out the right (or some panning function that would permit the same thing), useful for sending organ sound to a Vent, or sending LH bass to its own amp or external processing (esp. useful on a 73), and other things

...the ability to hit a button (maybe double-click the Organ button?) and make the organ drawbar setting "live" (and the ability to switch away from organ having made whatever drawbar adjustments and have those same settings still be active when you switch back, which, IIRC, I could not find a way to do)

...ideally, the ability to store separate MIDI Program change commands for the Upper and Lower parts of a registration

...the ability to have some user sounds within the category select buttons (they can only be saved as registrations, which complicates using any customized sounds in splits/layers)

...there should be default overdrive and EQ settings for organ (just as there are default click and leakage), it is annoying to have to turn the overdrive knob back up every time I call up organ

...the NEXT button is useful, but there's no PREV button. Maybe they could set it up so that if you were to hit the NEXT button while the BANK button was depressed, it would become a PREV function.

...a better way to navigate, not just registrations as discussed, but also the patches within the categories. Again, the scroll wheel is awkward. There are no inc/dec buttons, but they could repurpose the registration NEXT button (which currently serves no function if you're not in Registration mode)

...it would be nice to be able to pitch bend the organ, since the lever kind of duplicates the function of the rotary button and possibly footswitch anyway. I could see people liking the lever for rotary control, it's more like the half-moon switch, but it would be nice to have the option, for those "playing with the motor switch" effects on a Hammond.

...IIRC, it is smart enough to automatically engage the rotary when you hit the main organ button, but when you already are using a (non-organ) split and change the Upper voice to organ, unfortunately it does not do the same thing. Maybe a complication of how it handles effects with splits? But it seemed to me that that should have been do-able.

#2878616 - 09/12/17 09:59 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: AnotherScott]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

How in bloody blue blazes did they get the demos to sound as bad as a D-50 organ patch?

facepalm

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2878618 - 09/12/17 10:14 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: mate stubb]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
How in bloody blue blazes did they get the demos to sound as bad as a D-50 organ patch?

facepalm

Think 'think' that's what the youngins want!

Edited by Legatoboy (09/12/17 10:14 AM)

#2878637 - 09/12/17 11:15 AM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Legatoboy]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
[quot

Think 'think' that's what the youngins want!
[/quote]

Frank and John Lennon- 2 people everyone should have listened to.

What would Frank and John think of Rolands new digital organs ? wink

#2878658 - 09/12/17 01:23 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Marillo]
Morrisseysixman Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By: Marillo
EDIT: The demos on the release page are officially the worst I've ever seen.

+1, but the Better Music demo video IS pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhKD7fFHgnY

I'm digging this VR730. I was really into the VR760 years ago, and the 730 hearkens back to that original vibe.

#2878741 - 09/12/17 06:09 PM Re: September Roland Announcements - 2 new digital organs? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Roland gets back in the organ clone game in a big way.

I loved my VK8m. Best CV for its time, and also possibly best overdrive ever in a clone.

The VK8m sim was nothing special, but nothing else was at that time either.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner