Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2876684 - 09/02/17 07:08 PM Carl Palmer's ELP Experience
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Perhaps I should be posting this on the keyboard forum also. I just read a review on Glide Magazine regarding the recent Yestival Concert in Phoenix which opened with the subject title, followed by Todd Rundgren's new band and the latest version of Yes. Evidently, according to the review, Carl's band consisted of a bass player and guitarist and of course the master himself at percussion. They did instrumentals only. The half hour set was: Hoedown, Karen Evil 9: First Impression- Part 2, Knife Edge, Lucky Man and Fanfare For the Common Man. The guitarist did all of Keith's parts. Being a huge ELP fan and a guitarist, I'm definitely intrigued. One of my favorite Emerson solos that I've played myself is from the song "From the Beginning" from the Trilogy album. It's always fun for me to play keyboard solos on guitar, kind of takes me to a different place. I play keyboards also, so the transition is fairly easy for me. Anyway, I'd love see this band if they're ever in my area.

GP Island
#2876698 - 09/02/17 08:57 PM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: Delta]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Delta
Perhaps I should be posting this on the keyboard forum also. I just read a review on Glide Magazine regarding the recent Yestival Concert in Phoenix which opened with the subject title, followed by Todd Rundgren's new band and the latest version of Yes. Evidently, according to the review, Carl's band consisted of a bass player and guitarist and of course the master himself at percussion. They did instrumentals only. The half hour set was: Hoedown, Karen Evil 9: First Impression- Part 2, Knife Edge, Lucky Man and Fanfare For the Common Man. The guitarist did all of Keith's parts. Being a huge ELP fan and a guitarist, I'm definitely intrigued. One of my favorite Emerson solos that I've played myself is from the song "From the Beginning" from the Trilogy album. It's always fun for me to play keyboard solos on guitar, kind of takes me to a different place. I play keyboards also, so the transition is fairly easy for me. Anyway, I'd love see this band if they're ever in my area.

That sounds really cool!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2876727 - 09/03/17 03:30 AM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
New "power trio" eh? Trying to imagine "Karn Evil" done with that kind of line-up. But, no need to pre-judge, and given today's available effects, it might be pulled off quite well enough.

Any idea who the guitarist is?

I liked your statement about playing keyboard solos on guitar. I was thinking about that sort of thing yesterday while listening to my CD copy of "Oh Yeah?" by the Jan Hammer group. What a couple of those tunes would sound like if a guitar played the solos Jan was doing. BTW....a friend of mine who moved into jazz says he tries to fashion his solos based on various solo techniques used by trumpets and sax. wink
Whitefang

#2876793 - 09/03/17 08:24 AM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Sounds like a great show!

Saw John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin fame, doing some of his newer Music, and some old Zepplin tunes as instrumentals, with a power trio, a while back. Very impressive.

Side note to Whitefang: Copping lines from Sax & Horn players is key to crafting great Guitar lines. Jazz Vocal lines, too.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2876823 - 09/03/17 10:09 AM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
There are two versions (main stream) to a tune I started out on called Honky Tonk. One is the guitar version and the other is the Sax version. In our little Ventures band, my buddy brought in one of the Sax leads being played on guitar. I did the Sax answering part, then we both did the Sax harmony part. It really added a new twist to the Venture's version... cool

Edited by Larryz (09/03/17 10:10 AM)

#2876960 - 09/04/17 04:10 AM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This Bill Doggett version is the one I'm more familiar with--

https://youtu.be/5vqFrt3ZuwY

It was released in two parts, one guitar and pt.2 mostly sax. Could these be the "two versions" you're mentioning Larry? wink And BTW--

Doggett was a piano/organist. And out of the couple or so versions out there is one with him doing it on his Hammond. smile
Whitefang

#2876992 - 09/04/17 08:13 AM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Doggett version is the sax version I was talking about, the guitar version I was talking about is by Roy Clark:

It's where I first learned to play the tune. The Ventures also do the guitar version which is the one I play:

And since I don't play sax, I get to put my own guitar twist on it ! cool

Edited by Larryz (09/04/17 08:25 AM)

#2877128 - 09/05/17 03:58 AM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think most of us novices back in those times learned "Honky Tonk" early on. wink At least the opening bars.

And knowing what we've heard in jazz, blues, R&B and R'n'R over the years, it wouldn't surprise me if Doggett heard something similar some years earlier befor working it into the tune. wink
Whitefang

#2877162 - 09/05/17 07:36 AM Re: Carl Palmer's ELP Experience [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Honky Tonk also introduces us novices to the 5 chord (aka: power chord)... cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose