Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Nice shot, Mike!!!

I *just* started getting into photography myself (Nikon D5300) and am now in the "learning phase". Already have 2 lenses (standard 18-55mm kit lens and 55-200mm lens) and having a blast.... but still have a ton of learning before I can take a photo of that quality!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This picture makes me feel like I am a kid, peeking out from behind a tree waiting for people to come and celebrate Christmas. ... Very nice.

Thanks! I knew I had to get out to capture this fresh snowfall while Christmas decorations were up - we usually only get one snow before Christmas around here.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had questions about DSLRs that I have never been able to track down good answers to until recently. Mostly, the technical stuff related to optics, image sensors, low-light performance, noise, etc. For most, understanding the technology might not make you a better photographer unless you're really pushing the limits of the technology. I tend to remember concepts, not facts, so I wanted to understand what's going on in my camera and in post-processing.

I recently finished a course that I highly recommend if you're interested in diving deeper. It's a series of 18 lectures shot on the Google campus two years ago. It's taught by a Stanford prof, Marc Levoy, who heads Google's Computational Photography group. Here's the link: Digital Photography Course

This course is not for everyone. There is a little math: trig, correlations, integrals, matrices, etc. But, I think that there's a lot to learn even if you ignore the math. The instructor is a Renaissance man that knows a lot about the history, art, and technology of photography. There are two 'ringers' in the class; one from Pixar and one from Industrial Light and Magic that make things interesting.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

If you conceptually understand what changes and the general concepts behind things, I don't think it's necessary to have formulas and whatever memorized. But having some technical knowledge of what is going on when you switch settings is certainly quite helpful. This is even more important when you are doing a sort of photography that requires a bit more technical skill, such as night photography, where knowing a bit of basic astronomy, lighting falloff, f/stop, how a camera moves and how to keep it still, and so forth are very handy.

5385_kenlee_2017-02-12_2311_joshuatree-1mf71iso800-roundrockandcactus-1000px.jpg

Amazing clouds this time. It was sometimes difficult to shoot because the light kept shifting and changing, but the clouds really added a lot to many of the images.

This is a real photo taken at night during a full moon, although it was partially covered by clouds. I set my tripod-mounted camera to a long exposure, keeping the shutter open for a long time while illuminating the rock and cactus with light, so the image is created in camera, and is not a post-processing creation. No pixels were harmed in this photo! :D

Joshua Tree National Park, CA.

• 2 weeks later...

5684_kenlee_2017-03-23_2210_deathvalley-15sf24iso5000-rhyolite-milkyway-irix15mm-1000px.jpg

Ghost town in Nevada, underneath the starry Milky Way in March. Testing out a new lens, an Irix 15mm f/2.4 manual focus lens. Really good lens so far.

• 4 months later...

Had to try this out:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/4063775/413529994.jpg

This was taken over Peterson Field next to I-80 overlooking Rockaway Mall.

I'll have to try it again when I get my ND filters.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

No filter. I looked on B&H and filters were $240. Too much for me to spend on 2 minutes of shooting. We went to the farm just north of Paducah KY which is 6 hours from my house. Once we got there I realized that I had left both of the cameras I laid out for the event, AND the eclipse glasses that I purchased before every store in the state ran out. On a trip to SAM's I saw the A6000 and purchased it since I have been wanting to try a mirrorless anyway. It came with two kit lenses and I used the one that extended to 200mm.

So, that shot is with the cheapest Sony mirrorless camera, kit lens, automatic setting as I did not have time to learn and experiment with the camera before the event.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Not that I can tell. I was careful to quickly point, shoot, turn away. I also read a lot about possible damage to camera sensors. In my view, glancing at the eclipse was no more dangerous than driving into the sun, and taking a picture of the eclipse no more dangerous than one of those bad pictures of someone on the beach with bright sun behind them.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still very new at this...

but I shot this spider web in a fireplace that I thought looked really cool!

I know its a music forum, but some critiques would be welcome!

I had a very limited window in which the sun was shining on this through a small window in the front door,

and it was rapidly disappearing...

so this was shot in auto mode as I didn't have

the seconds to spare to fiddle with manual settings.

Camera used was a Nikon D5300, 18-55mm kit lens.

16 pics were taken, these are the first 6.

http://www.revchuck.com/image/Web1.JPG

http://www.revchuck.com/image/Web2.JPG

http://www.revchuck.com/image/Web3.JPG

http://www.revchuck.com/image/Web4.JPG

http://www.revchuck.com/image/Web5.JPG

http://www.revchuck.com/image/Web6.JPG

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Hi PianomanChuck. It is always nice to see pics here from a new photographer. :) Cobwebs make a wonderful subject for a photo: full of interesting shapes. I like your fourth photo the best. I like the way the light hits it and the way that you have concentrated on just the web, with no distractions. It is also good that the photo is well lit with no overly dark parts or overexposed areas. The lovely gold sunlight looks great reflected on the strands of the web.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone