Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2876216 - 08/31/17 06:40 PM Instinct?
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Some of you might remember that my wife, cat, myself and my 6 guitars (in order of importance) and other assorted materials moved 3,000 miles from California to Florida in the spring of 2016 to retire. We live in a fairly spacious condo unit on the Atlantic Ocean in Ormond By The Sea. Although we're enjoying the area the move and transition hasn't been easy. I set up a small home studio in the guest bedroom with a combo of gear that I moved out and new stuff. We realized after living here for a short while that the unit needed to be completely renovated. After a vacation in Ontario, Canada this past August we are moving valuables (that would include my guitars and gear) and fragiles to my Mom-in- Law's house, about 15 minutes away. The general contractor started working today tearing down wallpaper. We received bad news right away. There's mold in the kitchen and possibly elsewhere. We'll deal with it and hopefully an insurance claim will help pay for some of it. The contractor, who knew I had 6 guitars which are always exposed to open air, was astute enough to say that I needed to clean them. Well, I had already done so, diligently, as I had a feeling that mold was a potential issue. Good on me. I'll clean them all again in their temporary home before heading back, 2 months down the road. In the meantime, all are in their cases except one acoustic which will be my one guitar for the next 2 months. Have guitars will travel!

Edited by Delta (08/31/17 08:19 PM)

GP Island
#2876223 - 08/31/17 07:31 PM Re: Instinct? [Re: Delta]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Sorry to hear about the mold issue.

I always keep all of my guitars in their cases when not in use. I recommend it.

Glad to hear you made the cross country trip OK.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2876228 - 08/31/17 08:11 PM Re: Instinct? [Re: desertbluesman]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Which brings up a good subject, guitar storage. Moving from California to Florida, obviously a huge humidity difference. I've never had any issues keeping my guitars in the open. I play all of them regularly so why not keep them out, as long as the interior environment is controlled which I admit hasn't always been the case with me. I have a humidity gauge in my studio and as long as it's within the 40 to 60 range, which it always is, I believe the guitars are happy.

#2876257 - 09/01/17 04:23 AM Re: Instinct? [Re: Delta]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I certainly hope so. And glad to learn you took care of the mold situation.

For the longest time, my old Epi was kept in the cheezy "carton paper" case it originally came in. Just lined with very cheap felt. And it took it's toll. Needed MAJOR restoration 25 years ago. Finally put out the bucks for a good case and it's been cool ever since. Anyway, and a bit OT, I was kind of amused at your mention of going to Ontario for a vacation. I always wondered where people located in the south went on vacation. Most of us "up North" head for the beaches, except Florida is usually a winter destination. wink

It's good you can control your humidity though. Too humid isn't good, and too dry isn't good either.
Whitefang

#2876289 - 09/01/17 07:29 AM Re: Instinct? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Hope you get the mold situation under control Delta. I had some wind blow my shingles off and rain coming in during the storms last February. Cost $9 grand in mold abatement and that's not putting humpty dumpty back together again. Luckily the insurance company is paying for it to be done. cool

#2876339 - 09/01/17 10:34 AM Re: Instinct? [Re: Delta]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
People in Japan often talk proudly about their `four seasons`-it`s a Jurassic Park in summer and everywhere except the far south is biting cold in winter. That`s just great-until you actually get here and realize that almost no buildings have central temperature controls. Any room that is not occupied is a furnace in summer and a freezer in winter. The alternative is astronomical energy bills. Last year I made a decision to bring my Seagull from the U.S.-it is clearly not happy. The relief and intonation were perfect for all the years it was sitting at my parents` place. Now despite being in a heavy duty case, it is no match for the brutality of the elements. It still plays and sounds fine but, it`s no longer stable.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2876516 - 09/02/17 04:22 AM Re: Instinct? [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Not to get off the rails, but to add a bit of levity, we here in MI (some of us anyway) joke that we have SIX seasons. Spring, Road construction, Summer, Indian summer, Fall and Winter. wink The calendar be damned, our seasons change when they damn well feel like it! grin

But as I stated, since both my axes are in substantially quality cases, they're in good shape. But where I'm located, weather wise and housing wise, we don't have the difficulties Skip seems to be enduring.
Whitefang

#2876562 - 09/02/17 08:21 AM Re: Instinct? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
I always keep my guitars in their cases when not in use. Keeps the dust out and helps protect from changes in the weather. cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose