Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2875975 - 08/30/17 10:21 AM Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ?
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
In the early days of recording, jazz still depended on the banjo, a louder instrument, rather than the gtr.
Here's an example of one of the best early jazz groups, Louis Armstrong's Hot 5 (soon surpassed by his partnership w/Earl Hines).

Gtr solo starts abt 0:50
I think it's Lonnie Johnson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FferX_P7SVs

GP Island
#2876000 - 08/30/17 01:57 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Cool.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2876002 - 08/30/17 02:17 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: desertbluesman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Two guitars, no? Different concept of swing back then.

#2876016 - 08/30/17 03:30 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
Love that New Orleans (down there, they pronounce it "Nawlins"). sound. I agree that it is probably Lonnie Johnson on guitar.

I vacationed in New Orleans in the late 90's. Amazing place. Live music everywhere. Most of it free. We went to a free Zydeco concert that was one of the best and most fun concerts I've ever attended.

Man, if you don't have fun in New Orleans, you don't know how to have fun!

@d: If you respond to my post, please do so in english.

Edited by Fred_C (08/30/17 03:38 PM)
Edit Reason: Add Afterthought

#2876065 - 08/30/17 10:58 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
+1 Fred, I was in New Orleans back in '69 walk'en up and down Bourbon Street late into the night eating buttered corn cobs on a stick and drinking those red Hurricane rum punches. I had so much fun that when I got back home to San Jose California, I turned around and took another buddy all the way back to do it again! The drinking age was 18 (a teenage paradise!)...Strippers, Fats Domino, the clubs, naked ladies on the balconies, what more can I say! Let the good times roll! thu

#2876076 - 08/31/17 04:16 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
That info wasn't hard to dig up. Indeed it was Johnson, "Savoy Blues" being one of the only three or four tunes he recorded with Armstrong before moving on to Ellington and beyond.

Now, I've never been to "Nawlins", "NOLA" or however...;) but it is a "bucket list" destination. And I don't know if it's the earliest jazz guitar solo, Johnson probably playing many before '27 when that was recorded. His bio claims he "pioneered" the guitar solo on a tune called "6/88 Glide", also from '27------

https://youtu.be/SVaIx1QYUH0

Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (08/31/17 04:16 AM)

#2876137 - 08/31/17 09:06 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Bolden <---speaking of New Orleans, Buddy Bolden's band started Jass which later became Jazz. Here's a picture of his band in 1905 showing his guitar player Brock Mumford. So he gets the nod as the 1st jazz guitar player IMHO.

Can't say whether or not Brock ever took a guitar solo though...cool

Edited by Larryz (08/31/17 09:26 AM)

#2876180 - 08/31/17 02:46 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So, I take it Brock's the one with the bigger banjo? wink

And to Lonnie's chagrin, people always considered him a blues guitarist instead of a jazz man. And guitar solos were still pretty rare in jazz until Charlie Christian electrified them. And he'd probably laugh too, if anyone suggested HE was the first jazz soloist.

The first to do anything and the first to get noticed doing it are usually two different people.
Whitefang

#2876196 - 08/31/17 04:10 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

If you click on the video or the article, you'll find Brock sitting in one of the rare Bolden photos of Brock with his guitar. I'm pretty sure he could play the banjo too. I think I saw a picture of him in the video with a mandolin as well...there were no known recordings of Bolden and his band. Guitars were not amplified until or around the mid 30's and were mostly used (as were the banjos) for the rhythm section. Eddie Durham gets credit as one if not the, first electric jazz guitarists in 1936 and Charlie Christian gets credit too in 1937 (according to Wiki). They were able to play single note solos and be heard once the amplifiers were developed. cool

Edited by Larryz (08/31/17 04:12 PM)

#2876253 - 09/01/17 04:00 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I remember, when giving my Mom a tape( she never took to CDs) of some selections I thought she'd like from Brian Setzer's "Dirty Boogie", she remarked that she never thought a guitar could front a band like that and was surprised at how well it worked. Said she soon caught herself dancing around the house while playing it while doing housework. wink.

She also remarked that most people didn't take guitar players in the "swing" and "big bands" seriously in "those days", thinking only "hillbilly" musicians and cowboys used it more and that was all it was good for. grin

But, she really did like Brian Setzer. Thought him a good singer too. wink
Whitefang

#2876286 - 09/01/17 07:25 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Brian Setzer is definitely one cool jazz playing guitar master and I love his 50's revisited Stray Cat stuff. The only negative on his big band playing, is he likes to sneak in some of his rockabilly licks that just don't fit the genre. But, it's still cool when he has fun doing it LOL! He's one of my all time favorite players... cool

#2876307 - 09/01/17 08:52 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 Fred, I was in New Orleans back in '69 walk'en up and down Bourbon Street late into the night eating buttered corn cobs on a stick and drinking those red Hurricane rum punches. I had so much fun that when I got back home to San Jose California, I turned around and took another buddy all the way back to do it again! The drinking age was 18 (a teenage paradise!)...Strippers, Fats Domino, the clubs, naked ladies on the balconies, what more can I say! Let the good times roll! thu

Bro. Larry,

Laissez les Bon Temp roulez!

https://youtu.be/9wBhm69R2aY

#2876313 - 09/01/17 09:04 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Very cool Bro! Love that Cajun beat and sound! Those cats are great and the gal on the piano is too! Merci Beaucoup! thu

Edited by Larryz (09/01/17 09:41 AM)

#2876748 - 09/03/17 04:29 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow! It did make me think of Hank Williams' JAMBALAYA, and that dude on guitar didn't do so bad either!

Great stuff, Fred. Thanks! Don't speak French, so I'll have to say, Dzienkuje! wink
Whitefang

#2876825 - 09/03/17 10:17 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

A lot of jazz was started down in New Orleans. But, I think Hank William's Jambalaya tune really put Cajun music on the map for a lot of us when it came out. I still do the song today with what I call my Cajun strum vibe. My harmonica duo buddy has a harp that really gets the Cajun sound, and it's so cool to play that tune in front of an audience as they really let the good times roll, when we play it together! cool

#2876983 - 09/04/17 07:33 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As a bit of a sideline, what does anyone think of this statement, made recently in a TV ad for Detroit's annual jazz fest by WAYNE SHORTER, one of this year's headliners, who says. "To me, the word "jazz" means, "I dare you!" ? If you think about it, a lot can be read into that. Anyway, I'm not one to contradict the likes of Wayne Shorter.
Whitefang

#2876995 - 09/04/17 08:55 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

My jazz teacher told me he could teach me scales, chords, leads, etc., but he could not teach me improvisation. "That has to come from you"...I don't know if this is what Wayne Shorter was getting at, but I know that he's a master at improvisation. That one word has challenged me since 1972 and has continued to do so...you have to go where it takes you. cool

#2877044 - 09/04/17 02:35 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

grin
I think he also said that in the ad. Something like "Go where the music takes me." wink

Great minds DO think alike, eh?
Whitefang

#2877167 - 09/05/17 07:53 AM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

In the overall scheme of things, Wayne Shorter is whale of a genius and I'm just a tadpole in a pond out in the country somewhere LOL! cool

#2877276 - 09/05/17 02:46 PM Re: Is this the earliest jazz gtr solo ? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, by that criteria, I'm a Krill. grin
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose