Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2874113 - 08/20/17 09:44 PM Modern Pop Music Sucks!
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I've tried to stay away from it because I know it sucks, but due to certain circumstances I've been a victim of it off and on for the last 2 weeks. Absolute crap! Robotic, mindless drivel that young people are absorbing into their minds. Very sad. And don't try to justify it or I'll kick your ass!

Edited by Delta (08/20/17 09:45 PM)

GP Island
#2874121 - 08/20/17 10:38 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Delta]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Delta, Delta, Delta, somehow you have to put yourself to sleep tonight and when you wake up in the morning, pour yourself a large cup of strong black coffee, laced with a double shot of brandy or whiskey, 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar, and some whipped cream...then turn on something soft like The Doors...kick back in a nice warm robe...and forget about it. Two weeks exposure to that kind of crap can really do a number on just about anyone...the only thing worse is New Country LOL! If I didn't have to drive to the Doctor's tomorrow, I would be joining you! coffee

#2874131 - 08/21/17 01:11 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Well, first of all, may I remind you of Theodore Sturgeon's Law/Revelation. As he put it in an interview:
Quote:

I repeat Sturgeon's Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of SF is crud. Using the same standards that categorize 90% of science fiction as trash, crud, or crap, it can be argued that 90% of film, literature, consumer goods, etc. is crap. In other words, the claim (or fact) that 90% of science fiction is crap is ultimately uninformative, because science fiction conforms to the same trends of quality as all other artforms.

Or as he later distilled it: "90% of everything is crap."*

Sooo...what do you consider "pop" music? How broadly do you define it? Perhaps we can find you something from the 10%.

* as seen in my sig, below.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (08/21/17 01:12 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2874133 - 08/21/17 01:43 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
I've been saying that since 1964.....

smile

G.

#2874137 - 08/21/17 04:11 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Delta]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: Delta
I've tried to stay away from it because I know it sucks, but due to certain circumstances I've been a victim of it off and on for the last 2 weeks. Absolute crap! Robotic, mindless drivel that young people are absorbing into their minds. Very sad. And don't try to justify it or I'll kick your ass!

grin
Just watch out that the "mindless drivel" doesn't numb their brains to where they won't realize they're ON YOUR LAWN! mad

NOW you gotta go CHASE THEM OFF! grin

Hey, look. I'm with ya on this, but EVERY generation had derogatory comments about the next generation's music. Me and my Mom used to get into "mock" arguments about it. I've told all this before in this forum a couple/few times. She'd go on about how MY generations music didn't have as good of LYRICS as songs did in HER day, and I'd come back with, "You mean like, "MARZEY DOATS" or "Hut-Sut Rawlson onna rillerah and a brawla-brawla soo-it"? grin

And there's always the hope that it'll follow it's long cyclical pattern and revolve into something worthwhile to ya in a few short years. I mean, if I could make it through the '80's with it's MYV video driven tripe, I think I still have enough patience to withstand what's going on now. wink

Plus I'm well stocked with recordings of what I DO like that what's going down today won't affect me.
Whitefang

#2874149 - 08/21/17 05:16 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Delta]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I won`t try and justify it-leaving aside that you would have a long plane ride to collect on that asskicking grin
I`ve had to wade through it for the last few years, to pick out the few good ones that I want to do live. Most of it is basically filler, some of it is worse than that-I mean, if I was stranded on an island and I could only get that on the radio, I would prefer the ocean and hope for a few birds who can harmonize. But the few gems are there, pretty much the same pattern as when music was good-whenever that was.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2874154 - 08/21/17 06:00 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: skipclone 1]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
I have no idea what "modern pop music sounds like.

I listen to the great Jazz vocalists (Nancy Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Diana Krall, Eliane Elias (the wonderful Brazilian Bossa Nova singer and pianist), Sinatra, Tony Bennet, et. al.) on my home system and in my car.

If I want to listen to something other than Jazz, I listen to Skynyrd, Bad Company, etc. or the great Blues players.

Pop music be damned.

#2874206 - 08/21/17 08:16 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now, THAT'S the way to go! like
Whitefang

#2874218 - 08/21/17 09:46 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
There is so much really good music available (mostly in other genres & eras,) that I don't have time to listen to that vast majority of pop which is complete crap.
I do strongly believe, on a qualitative level, not just the "Things-were-better-when-I-was-young" level, that popular music of my youth was in fact much better music than that being produced today. And I would also say that a whole lot of 60's pop was garbage. But amongst the dreck were a bunch of inventive melodic songwriters who have no modern day equivalent.

#2874222 - 08/21/17 10:17 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz

Or as he later distilled it: "90% of everything is crap."*

Sooo...what do you consider "pop" music? How broadly do you define it? Perhaps we can find you something from the 10%.

* as seen in my sig, below.

I went on YouTube and called up the top 200 pop songs for 2017 just to see what Delta was referring to as I don't listen to it anymore...10% of it being good would be very generous IMHO... cool

#2874279 - 08/21/17 02:43 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I can go along with Scott inasmuch as every decade's and generation's music was peppered with some crap mixed among the gems. For all the great "Britisn Invasion" groups, there were a few COWSILLS and 1910 Fruit Gum Co. to answer.

But all that regardless, was NOT the greater majority of the music being produced and marketed in those times.

LARRY---You have more courage than I, M'man! wink
Whitefang

#2874314 - 08/21/17 05:04 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Fred_C]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Fred_C

Me neither, I don't listen to the radio except for in the car, and I put on oldies 60's music stations for that.

I do know when I hear new pop it sounds canned from a producer with a composition program, some samples and MIDI, stick a mike in front of the "vocal artist" auto tune the track and ship it. 5 hours in the producers home studio per tune, and done, and hire the dump truck to take the cash to the bank. (That's my guess anyways)

rawk
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2874321 - 08/21/17 05:35 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: desertbluesman]
Delta Offline

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Me neither, I don't listen to the radio except for in the car, and I put on oldies 60's music stations for that.

I do know when I hear new pop it sounds canned from a producer with a composition program, some samples and MIDI, stick a mike in front of the "vocal artist" auto tune the track and ship it. 5 hours in the producers home studio per tune, and done, and hire the dump truck to take the cash to the bank. (That's my guess anyways)

rawk

Well said. Exactly my thoughts as I was listening to this crap. It's over now (hopefully forever). Back to the music I love. I'll mention this. During this period of musical nausea I witnessed a couple of DJs at a restaurant during their shift change. The first was pure formula. The guy that took over started playing Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne but after about a minute he dived back into the formula. That was sacrilege to me. He continued the modern stuff with minute long classic rock bridges in between. A little creativity there I suppose, but it only pissed me off. Thankfully we were gone after about 30 minutes of that nonsense.

#2874354 - 08/22/17 12:14 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Delta]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It pisses me off too, but that`s the new normal and has been for a while. A bunch of years ago I was at a party with some people who had come to Japan on the same program as myself. Most of them were a few years younger than me. One of them was channel surfing through music in a way that was getting on my nerves, playing less than a minute of each song and then flipping to something else. Finally he said, "Any requests?" I said, "Yeah, find something and play it." Everybody gave me that "You are not of this Earth" look.

Edited by skipclone 1 (08/22/17 12:23 AM)

#2874363 - 08/22/17 04:26 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Channel surfing" through music on WHAT?

An actual RADIO? Or his "smartphone"?

Nothing saddens me more than seeing a kid put some "music" on his thin, handheld "device" and bobbing his head as if he's listening to something "good" with such tinny, highly distorted sound. And I see that scenario played out everywhere. So, what does it matter? Even IF the "music" WAS any good, they'd never know it because they aren't actually HEARING it. frown
Whitefang

#2874373 - 08/22/17 06:09 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
The sound quality of a smartphone through headphones or a "Bluetooth" speaker is actually quite good.

The mini (1/8' jack) on my computer is broken (the nice folks at Geek Squad told me that I should buy a new computer!) and therefore I can't use stereo computer speakers (which are also musically satisfying). I purchased a Bluetooth speaker for $60 and a pair of Bluetooth headphones for $50 and the problem is solved. I only use them in my bedroom late at night or early in the morning when I want quiet music. Both YouTube and Pandora sound very good through a Bluetooth device and even better through a pair of good quality computer speakers.

Your post serves to illustrate and underscore your ongoing irrational prejudice regarding smartphones and their owners.

#2874394 - 08/22/17 07:46 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

But you see, that's not what I'm SEEING. I notice just holding the phone out (like a waiter might hold a tray) and NOT using any earphones, "buds" or any bluetooth attachments.

While I'll concede those items might increase the sound qality somewhat, I don't think they'll ever outdo my Nakamichi Stasis TA-4A and Miller & Kreisal sat/sub system. wink

And seriously, why waste all that time and money on all that paraphernalia only to listen to plastic formula manufactured "music in a can"? Or what I usually call "Canned beats with autotune sauce"?
Whitefang

#2874398 - 08/22/17 08:15 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Nothing saddens me more than seeing a kid put some "music" on his thin, handheld "device" and bobbing his head as if he's listening to something "good" with such tinny, highly distorted sound.
Whitefang

I may have shared the story here of a choir director sitting in my studio & telling me we needed to remix one of the tracks we'd been working, because the bass was too low. Then she pulled out her iPhone & played the track in question & said "See, you can't really hear the bass properly."
Or the time a piano student was recording an audition tape here, & said of the first session that his teacher felt there was too much 'hammer noise' in the recording. Being an accommodating sort I moved the piano & the mics around until the kid was happy & I thought the sound was no longer very good. He then states, "Yeah, when my teacher heard the recording on his iPhone he said the hammer noise was too loud."
People are making qualitative decisions about sound based on a listening experience which provides maybe a couple percent of the necessary information for an informed perception. This is not smart listening.

#2874402 - 08/22/17 08:29 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
People are making qualitative decisions about sound based on a listening experience which provides maybe a couple percent of the necessary information for an informed perception. This is not smart listening.

+100, Scott! That, and trying to listen to Music on a f@#%ing laptop!?!?!?! How small are those drivers, 1/32 inch?

Earbuds, like Trix, are for kids. I still use big old studio "cans", AKG Studio 240's.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2874411 - 08/22/17 08:43 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 Earphones make a big difference, even on a laptop with YT clips. It won't help the sound of modern Pop Music though LOL! I also plug my laptop into my Roland Street Cube to play along with YT clips and it makes a big difference! Those kids with the buds may be hearing their recordings better than some might think. Nothing is going to keep up with sophisticated home sound systems. I like listening to live DVD's on my blue ray surround sound system. Sounds good enough for my deaf ears LOL! cool

#2874423 - 08/22/17 09:42 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
There are good ear buds and bad ear buds, just like bad and good pop, rack, blues, county and any other type of music you can think of.
I have Bose ear buds, which are very good. I use them when I'm running because I'm unable to carry a stereo system and run at the same time.

Edited by JuJu Kwan (08/22/17 09:42 AM)

#2874439 - 08/22/17 10:17 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Fred_C]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The sound quality of a smartphone through headphones or a "Bluetooth" speaker is actually quite good.

The mini (1/8' jack) on my computer is broken (the nice folks at Geek Squad told me that I should buy a new computer!) and therefore I can't use stereo computer speakers (which are also musically satisfying). I purchased a Bluetooth speaker for $60 and a pair of Bluetooth headphones for $50 and the problem is solved. I only use them in my bedroom late at night or early in the morning when I want quiet music. Both YouTube and Pandora sound very good through a Bluetooth device and even better through a pair of good quality computer speakers.

Your post serves to illustrate and underscore your ongoing irrational prejudice regarding smartphones and their owners.

I was having beers one night on a friend's porch, and somebody pulled out an iPhone and started to play music through the speaker... and asked the host if he had a bluetooth speaker or something they could plug it into... he said no, but I have an idea... he went inside and came back with a roll from the center of toilet paper and a steak knife. He cut an iPhone sized hole in the side of the roll and and stuck the iPhone into it. It amplified the speaker enough to provide some mellow late night chill music.

It's since become a thing...

#2874446 - 08/22/17 10:49 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As for modern pop music sucking... yeah... I even thought that as a punk rock-leaning kid (though now I appreciate that era of pop music for the craft).

There's a vid from England I'll try to find (or did I post it here already?) that explains why... it's ALL mostly written by the same two people, and rather than spend millions on different bands or acts to see which ones are lucky enough to have the stars align and become superstars it's become a formula: take a song that's pretty much guaranteed to be a hit because it is a rewrite of the last hit song one of those two guys wrote and get someone who will appeal to 13-25 women to sing it.

That's pop music. Rock music generally shot itself in the foot by becoming too joyless and depressing and serious and unfun, or becoming too goofy and lightweight. Rock music is the music of working class kids, so they can escape and let off steam. Hip Hop and Rap became a better conduit for that than post-grunge era rock (and can we talk about the rock stars of that era themselves committing suicide or OD'ing... not a joyful scene). Not that the gangsta rap phase was all smiles and light entertainment, but at least it provided movie-like escapism in the "Scarface" vein or whatever.

"Modern Country Pop has turned into rap for people who don't like black people." - Steve Earle.

True in a lot of ways... though some of it is hair metal for people who don't like dudes in makeup and spandex.

I mostly hear modern pop music through my 5-year-old listening to the KIDZ BOP versions... and I like those versions better (they're more fitting when aimed at little kids, though they have to rewrite a lot of the lyrics).

But, yeah... modern pop music is not made for us... it's made for 13-25 year old females, and it's made to also sell them ringtones and clothes and make-up and whatever else.

#2874449 - 08/22/17 11:05 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: p90jr]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That is true-the top 40 is more like five people with a bunch of interchangeable singers.
The singers want to act and then have clothing lines or signature fragrances. They know interchangeability will strike sooner or later so they plan ahead.
The plan is lubricated with a charitable foundation, or visible work for an established cause.

#2874456 - 08/22/17 11:42 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: skipclone 1]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And that was how it always was... except for a few decades when rock music because the predominant musical form (and even then it still kind of worked that way...).

I do not for a minute begrudge Hip Hip or Rap. It was the organic folk music of the environments that produced it. In New Orleans, it actually merged with the traditional music of black neighborhoods, there - brass band jazz. Same spirit... where kids in Queens took a thrift store turntable and beats and riffs from thrift store records and made something new out of it, in N.O. they took the passed down trumpets and Sousaphones and bass drums.

... and that spirit is why I was attracted to punk rock/new wave when I was a kid. I'd have people who I could outplay snub me as far as jamming or whatever because I only had a little practice amp so I wasn't "serious." Meanwhile, I would see punk bands playing gigs outside at the University here with the same little practice amp mic'ed up... and no fancy trappings, and a couple of hundred people loving it. It just felt more honest than focusing so much on appearances... and I still kind of carry that in me.

#2874470 - 08/22/17 01:00 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Fred_C]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az

You betcha, we have a salt water pool in our community. A particular crowd hangs out there from 4:00 PM onward. One guy brings this 5" square Bluetooth speaker hooked to his smartphone, and the sound quality is astonishing for such a small unit. And it is fairly loud.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2874505 - 08/22/17 03:20 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I notice that DMoon hasn't returned since posting this a couple days back so maybe they won't be reached by this but as a FWIW, the standard evaluation of most art, incl music, is that 9X% is crap.
However, the fact is that, just in terms of generalities, no art form is full-on shoe smear alla the time.

I think the trick is using yer discrimination to focus on what y' like & finding sources that provide that whilst staying fresh & open to new things so you don't become hidebound...a fate that, unfortunately, affects too many.

#2874568 - 08/22/17 11:37 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: p90jr]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I ran into the same attitude in N.Y.-anyone who couldn`t discuss the latest gear and didn`t keep up with what everyone was buying that month, was quickly left behind in a conversation. There were a few bands that came out of the scene like Rancid, and Big Audio Dynamite though they weren`t punk exactly, but I thought they were good. A lot of it sounded like all attitude and no ability-ironically enough, replace attitude with looks and you end up with pop.

#2874604 - 08/23/17 04:06 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, d....

There ARE those that've become "hidebound" IN SPITE of being "fresh & open to new things" because their "frsh and open" ears haven't HEARD anything those ears wanted to embrace.

After all, we ARE discussing an "art form" with "art" ALWAYS being subjective in nature.

Then there are those who embrace ANYTHING "fresh and new" because they've always believed they're SUPPOSED to. I've always called those folks "Trend whores". wink

Then again too, there are those who REJECT anything "fresh and new" for the same reason.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (08/23/17 04:10 AM)

#2874642 - 08/23/17 06:59 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: p90jr]
Delta Offline

Originally Posted By: p90jr

I was having beers one night on a friend's porch, and somebody pulled out an iPhone and started to play music through the speaker... and asked the host if he had a bluetooth speaker or something they could plug it into... he said no, but I have an idea... he went inside and came back with a roll from the center of toilet paper and a steak knife. He cut an iPhone sized hole in the side of the roll and and stuck the iPhone into it. It amplified the speaker enough to provide some mellow late night chill music.

It's since become a thing...

Very apropo' for modern pop music!

Edited by Delta (08/23/17 07:00 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose