Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2875345 - 08/26/17 09:12 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Well I was going to mention Squeeze, Level 42, Toto, Joe Jackson-I think an important distinction is, between those who CHOOSE to be pop, and those who can ONLY be pop. One of my Kali instructors is also a rapper. From time to time the idea of recording something together crosses my mind. But it would not change my mind about rap in general-on the contrary, it would be my twisted take on the genre.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

GP Island
#2875403 - 08/26/17 02:58 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: skipclone 1]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I dig Brand New Heavies, Maroon 5 and Jamiroquai, for different reasons. Not sure if BNH are still together, though.

And there are several pop stars I respect, even though I don't buy their music.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (08/26/17 03:07 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2875444 - 08/27/17 05:02 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 Lady GaGa with Tony Bennett doing their jazz standards did it for me musicalitywise...I also like a lot of Michael Jackson's music. cool

What GaGa did with Tony was outside of her "usual" comfort zone, and a commercial endeavor too. But it worked well for me too.

And Michael was in a position to push the "pop" envelope, and WHO would DARE try and stop him? So, HIS "pop" was BOUND to be a few cuts above. But then again, most industry suits follow the same belief......

If the only thing you give a group of people to eat is garbage, and they eat nothing BUT garbage for a long enough period of time, then they'll get to where they think of it as GOURMET CUISINE.

Which is why they probably spend so much time concentrating on demographics than "artistic creation".
Whitefang

#2875458 - 08/27/17 07:37 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
I will say Gaga and Michael put on some spectacular shows and had some great music to go with it. Before the break in pop and rock Elvis and The Beatles were considered Pop pre '67. +1 Gaga went out of her comfort zone with Tony and that was not very long ago. But that was different than the modern Pop garbage, in that they took it back to what it once was. There is a ton of stuff to like in the older Pop. I didn't care for GaGa's meat dress outfit though LOL! Madonna is still another heavy hitter in the Pop show business as an artist coming from the older days...I like to watch the older shows now and then even though they define the commercial aspects of Pop. cool

Edited by Larryz (08/27/17 07:58 AM)

#2875495 - 08/27/17 02:31 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
When most of us in this Forum were young, I mean really young, even "Pop" Music was recorded by pros like Glen Campbell (RIP), and Tommy Tedesco. I can't think of anyone in Pop right now who's fit to tune their Guitars.

Lady Gaga, IMHO, is something else entirely. I gave her credit for subverting the Pop aesthetic, and managing to play some real Music at the same time. She invented herself, rather than being the product of some management team. Respect!

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2875499 - 08/27/17 02:53 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I wonder Winston, what you mean by "really" young?

When I started taking an interest in music to buy records and listen to the top40 radio AM stations, Tedesco was still an unheard of by most session man, and Campbell wasn't heard of at all. And at that time, Well, there WAS Elvis. And The Everly Brothers who with Danny And The Juniors, The Dell Vikings and The Crickets were setting the "pop" bar at the time.

Rock'n'Roll was still considered "new" at the time, and the "pop" charts still had folks like Frankie Laine, Nat "King" Cole and "whistle man" Guy Mitchell charting "hits". It was a mixed bag at the time.
Whitefang

#2875545 - 08/27/17 09:23 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I didn't realize I would start such a fuss when I started this thread. My comment that "modern pop music sucks" was an honest personal opinion, and I meant it in a light hearted way. I realize, at my elderly age, that many of these modern pop songs are loved by many young people, especially females, and I would never take that away from them. I love pretty well all forms of music except country, rap, modern pop, modern rock, and most of the metal stuff. One of my favorites is old prog rock. I love ELP, Yes, Uriah Heep, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Atomic Rooster, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Hawkwind, Triumvirate, Gentle Giant and whatever I may be forgetting. As I have listened to all this music over the
years and have heard the evolution of sound technology I pretty well knew that the mechanization of music would bring us to this point that we're at, especially with pop music. Music for the masses, most of them not knowing what real music is. I've had some Science Fiction quotes thrown at me regarding music which is funny because I've read SF for decades. "90% of everything is crap" Theodore Sturgeon. How did he come up with 90%? We're getting to the point where all music, entertainment and other "art forms" will be computer generated. Your favorite news anchor won't be human and the so called news that it spouts out will be computer generated. "The Shape of things to Come" indeed.

Edited by Delta (08/27/17 09:33 PM)

#2875546 - 08/27/17 10:01 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Delta]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You didn't start a fuss Delta, I think it's an interesting thread whether you/me/others like Pop, or not. I happened on a Pop Star playing a piano concert tonight on TV singing his tunes, Sir Elton John. He said he was trying to pick out a song for a 911 concert and Crocodile Rock just didn't seem appropriate LOL! So, he remembered back around '72 from his Honky Chateau album doing Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters being a song about NYC. I loved a lot of his music back then when he did this album and Tumbleweed Connection. I never thought of it as Pop at the time but I realize now, most of his stuff is just that. A very talented singer song writer living in the world of Pop. I'm glad you started this thread and didn't have to kick our asses LOL! cool

#2875559 - 08/28/17 03:57 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hmmmm...........

Didn't at the time think of Elton john as a "pop" singer, but now you do? Heh. Know what you mean and how you feel. wink And will never consider "11-17-70" a "pop" recording.

Also reminds me of something I think I brought up here before. An old DOONESBURY strip in which Mike, visiting his much younger brother who runs his own radio station, gets upset when the kid keeps referring to Mike's "heavy" favorites like Hendrix, Deep Purple, Zeppelin and such, as "soft rock". grin

And DELTA---

ANY thread that starts such a lively debate is nothing to feel sorry about or ashamed of. thu
Whitefang

#2875590 - 08/28/17 07:28 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I bought about 4 of Elton's albums: Madman Across the Water, Honky Chateau, Tumbleweed Connection and Yellow Brick Road. This was back in '72 not long after the 11/17/70 concert. He did write some very fine music. Not like the ones that you mentioned Fang which I would never put in the soft rock category (i.e Hendrix, Zeplin, etc.). I think Elton John, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, etc., would fit the Soft Rock and/or Pop bill quite comfortably. There was a ton of good Pop music back in the day. Same is true for Country. The new stuff just doesn't interest me in both of these genres. cool

Edited by Larryz (08/28/17 02:31 PM)

#2875670 - 08/28/17 02:16 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Having teenage kids, I get to hear more modern pop than I would like, but fortunately they are slightly more discriminating than the general public (or at least, than the radio programmers). While I would not say that I was ever happy that my daughter took to One Direction as much as she did, I listened with a critical (but criterial, to get "d" ish) ear. Most of their albums were producer-created blasé stuff, but there were some tracks that had some real musicians on them, and used some "retro-rock" tones. I'll even say there were a couple of songs that I liked. Of course, they weren't released as singles...

Follow that to a few months ago, when one of them, Harry Styles, released his first solo album. I have to say, it's quite a listenable CD. Some acoustic songs, hardly any noticeable drum programming, no synthesized vocals or autotune. Solid songwriting (all collaborations of Harry, the producers and the musicians). I'd put "Sign of the Times" up there with an old-school Elton John tune. More surprisingly, I've hard a few tracks on local college & independent radio stations that I didn't think would touch such a pop star with a ten foot transmission tower. Now, will this album make my top ten? No, but when songs come on, I don't immediately switch the station. And I hope he'll grow more in this vein.

Of course, the other 1D boys put out solo albums, too, which fall into the 90% category.

#2875681 - 08/28/17 04:09 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Danzilla]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Been offline for a week so there'll be some backtracking here ...along w/ the inevitable defensiveness from W(T)F & maybe some others but,
hey, it's a big world & we can't help that some space is taken up by muckleheads.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I didn't realize I would start such a fuss when I started this thread. My comment that "modern pop music sucks" was an honest personal opinion, and I meant it in a light hearted way. I realize, at my elderly age, that many of these modern pop songs are loved by many young people, especially females, and I would never take that away from them. I love pretty well all forms of music except country, rap, modern pop, modern rock, and most of the metal stuff. One of my favorites is old prog rock. I love ELP, Yes, Uriah Heep, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Atomic Rooster, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Hawkwind, Triumvirate, Gentle Giant and whatever I may be forgetting. As I have listened to all this music over the
years and have heard the evolution of sound technology I pretty well knew that the mechanization of music would bring us to this point that we're at, especially with pop music. Music for the masses, most of them not knowing what real music is. I've had some Science Fiction quotes thrown at me regarding music which is funny because I've read SF for decades. "90% of everything is crap" Theodore Sturgeon. How did he come up with 90%? We're getting to the point where all music, entertainment and other "art forms" will be computer generated. Your favorite news anchor won't be human and the so called news that it spouts out will be computer generated. "The Shape of things to Come" indeed.

In re the first statement , DMoon, that's wehat ya get fer posting to a forum where the re are some who got nothin' else to do but act as if everything here is The Most Vital Thing Ever (Within Whatever They Know) grin .
I'd hasten at this point to, uh, point out that the method of production of any art has absolutely nothing to do w/ its viability or other quality.
Sampling in hiphop ? Some may not like it but it sure was trendsetting for mid 20th C cats like Cage & Stockhausen, not to mention the EffAreEeeking Beatles (Tomorrow Never Knows), who, I suspect, fall within the "yeah, they're good" range for most here.

Originally Posted By: d
So.
"All that stuff sux", applied to any category is false.

That statement stands as indisputable.
Some will still argue but to condemn any art in a blanket way defines one's prejudices, not the art in question.
That's just the truth.

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
The definition of "pop"- like any genre- is also nebulous. My first thought in this thread was to offer counterexamples, but it's tough to do without parameters...

Nah, it's easy to define: pop = popular.
There's room to debate whether any example is good or bad but the fact that many ppl like something doesn't mean that it stinks.
To maintain that is does defines one as an elitist &, more often than not, an elitist with no real sense of what's good except "it can't be good if I don't like it".
Feel free to argue but to do so simply points to one's inability to accurately assess art on its own terms.

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
There`s also this historical note-for a long time, `popular` meant the opposite of quality. Think of it more like `populist` and you get the idea. Even now, trying to equate the two is illogical.

The flip aide of that is-I got in a debate with a friend about it, I think it`s mostly a coastal mentality. A band says, `This tune is by The Yellowjackets`, and everybody is supposed to go `ooooooohhh`. My friend said, `It`s quality music`. So what? that doesn`t mean I`m going to enjoy hearing it. If I didn`t care for a song, and someone says, `But that was by The Yellowjackets`, is that supposed the change my mind? I don`t think so.

I can go w/ the later part of yer idea there, Skip (re: citing something secondarily to gives oneself validity) but the idea that worthwhile art is the antithesis of popular is like what I just mentioned.
The idea that mass popularity = low brow is easy to claim but it's a mistake & one needn't look farther than wide variety of work by
The Beatles to see the impossibility of that as a criterion.

Most of this thread reminds me of hearing...
14th C / "Did you hear that ?! He wrote a 3rd into that tune---that's just wrong !"
1907 / "Foxtrot ?! That sux ! Give me a good waltz!"
1920 / "Jazz ?! That's just noise !"
1943 / "Bebop ? That's not real jazz---where's the melody ?"
1955 / "Rock & roll ? That crap is crap ! Who cares if kids like it--whatta they know ?"
1982 / "Rap ?! Where's the tune ?"

Catch on , Granny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTO7WVxjz3A

#2875720 - 08/29/17 04:23 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Your statement; "....the fact that many ppl like something doesn't mean that it stinks." HASN'T been disputed here, but it was also pointed out that many people liking something doesn't mean it's GOOD. AND the fact that just because some self proclaimed "experts" SAY that something is "art", DOESN'T mean EVERYbody HAS to like it. Most have already agreed that the whole matter is too subjective to be definitive. And all the Huntz Hall affectated prose in the world isn't going to change that.
Whitefang

#2875768 - 08/29/17 09:16 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Quote:
Nah, it's easy to define: pop = popular.

But that's only trivially true.

C&W is a big seller, but we don't call it "pop". In the 80s, hair metal ruled the airwaves, but no one seriously called it "pop".

Likewise, while I mentioned Jamiroquai and Brand New Heavies, neither bad would label themselves as "pop" either,

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (08/29/17 09:18 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2875830 - 08/29/17 02:18 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DanA, that's just b/c many don't really think abt what they say or look deep enough to see passed cliches.
Chk the post just before yer's for an example.

#2875831 - 08/29/17 02:22 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Your statement; "....the fact that many ppl like something doesn't mean that it stinks." HASN'T been disputed here, but it was also pointed out that many people liking something doesn't mean it's GOOD. AND the fact that just because some self proclaimed "experts" SAY that something is "art", DOESN'T mean EVERYbody HAS to like it. Most have already agreed that the whole matter is too subjective to be definitive. And all the Huntz Hall affectated prose in the world isn't going to change that.

Keep bumpin' that CapsLock key, eh ? rolleyes

#2875832 - 08/29/17 02:39 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If I could get this site to italicize better I wouldn't have to capitalize for emphasis. wink

Another wrench...

OK, we're discussing "pop" music and some are trying to come up with definitions. So, Would anyone say that the word "pop" in the case of music is comparable to it's use in terms like "pop art", or "pop culture"?

And is it really necessary to use it when referring to a style of music? Might be time for a better word.
Whitefang

#2875842 - 08/29/17 03:43 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think D said it best "Pop = Popular"...the problem is, that it's what is popular at the time, so it is always changing as far as the genre goes...Rock and Roll changes to Rock and other sub genres as well. The older Pop and Rock have some good stuff and the newer stuff does not hold water for my listening pleasure. New Country and Rap gets put in the same bucket. On the other hand, when I look at the size of the crowds and stadium venues, I know there is something popular going on even if it doesn't interest me. It's all pretty subjective as to whether or not I/we think it's GOOD! LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (08/29/17 03:45 PM)

#2875850 - 08/29/17 04:25 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
If I could get this site to italicize better ...

Look at the tools along the top of yer post entry box, mate

#2875892 - 08/29/17 11:13 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
There`s also this historical note-for a long time, `popular` meant the opposite of quality. Think of it more like `populist` and you get the idea. Even now, trying to equate the two is illogical.

The flip aide of that is-I got in a debate with a friend about it, I think it`s mostly a coastal mentality. A band says, `This tune is by The Yellowjackets`, and everybody is supposed to go `ooooooohhh`. My friend said, `It`s quality music`. So what? that doesn`t mean I`m going to enjoy hearing it. If I didn`t care for a song, and someone says, `But that was by The Yellowjackets`, is that supposed the change my mind? I don`t think so.

I can go w/ the later part of yer idea there, Skip (re: citing something secondarily to gives oneself validity) but the idea that worthwhile art is the antithesis of popular is like what I just mentioned.
The idea that mass popularity = low brow is easy to claim but it's a mistake & one needn't look farther than wide variety of work by
The Beatles to see the impossibility of that as a criterion.

Um...no, actually one does need to look further-like history, for example. That is what I said in my very first sentence. It`s not my idea at all, it`s a historical fact.
I offer this excerpt, from dictionary.com

Meaning "suited to ordinary people" is from 1570s in English; hence, of prices, "low, affordable to average persons" (1859). Meaning "well-liked, admired by the people" is attested from c.1600. Of art, entertainment, etc., "favored by people generally" from 1819 ( popular song). Related: Popularly. Popular Front "coalition of Communists, Socialists, and radicals" is from 1936, first in a French context.

This is from Cambridge English dictionary:

`for or involving ordinary people`.

Here also, from Wiki:

The term "popular culture" was coined in the 19th century or earlier.[8] Traditionally, popular culture was associated with poor education and the lower classes,[9] as opposed to the "official culture" and higher education of the upper classes.[10][11]

Edited by skipclone 1 (08/29/17 11:19 PM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2875903 - 08/30/17 04:48 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
If I could get this site to italicize better ...

Look at the tools along the top of yer post entry box, mate

Oh, yeah. Like I never tried that before.

But when I did click on the "italicize" box, I got two bracketed "i's" , so I typed my text in between them, but when I hit "submit" my post had the word in regular text IN BETWEEN the two bracketed "i's". Didn't italicize the word at all!

As for "pop"=popular....

I have a feeling that was it's original intent. But lately it seems, it's been corrupted to refer to a specific genre of music. Americans are good for that. ie; the phrase "rip off", once used in the drug world to indicate a fraudulent deal, has been adopted to refer to any level of theft.

Or "uptight" which originally meant the same as "cool" or such, quickly went to indicate someone was being anal. Anyway....

The OP was simply voicing HIS opinion of the state of "pop" music in regards to his own personal tastes, and probably not indicating that he feels it's how everyone else should feel about it. Most responders did agree with him however, so it really wasn't that far out of line. smirk
Whitefang

#2875914 - 08/30/17 05:54 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: whitefang

But when I did click on the "italicize" box, I got two bracketed "i's" , so I typed my text in between them, but when I hit "submit" my post had the word in regular text IN BETWEEN the two bracketed "i's". Didn't italicize the word at all!
Whitefang

@Whitefang - Sorry, brother, you're doing it backwards. Type out your post first, then choose the word(s) you want to italicize, highlight them, and choose the "Italics" option. Yes, you'll still see the two little bracketed "i's", but they should be on either side of the word. Hit "Preview Post" if you want to make sure it worked. Same thing with Bold, or underlined text.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2876082 - 08/31/17 04:48 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks. Will give it a try. However....

I mentioned that problem in here more than 17 YEARS ago, and no advice like that was given. wink Why not? But it seems to work. smile
Whitefang

#2876110 - 08/31/17 07:27 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks. Will give it a try. However....

I mentioned that problem in here more than 17 YEARS ago, and no advice like that was given. wink Why not? But it seems to work. smile
Whitefang

I was going to do it but Winston beat me to it! and, I wasn't here 17 years ago LOL! cool

You can go back highlight the text again and use the Bold on it too!

Edited by Larryz (08/31/17 07:29 AM)

#2876258 - 09/01/17 04:27 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hmm. The TCM forum site has it where you just hit the "i" for italic and type normally. No need to highlight first. Kinda spoils one. wink
Whitefang

#2876297 - 09/01/17 07:56 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I remember back in my High School days, a lot of Pop music was played on my Rock and Roll station. It was OK by me as I fell in love with some of the old tunes like Mack the Knife, Misty, Blue Velvet, I Left My Heart in San Francisco, Danke Schoen, Crazy, etc., and I'm glad I got introduced to Patsy Cline (even though she was mostly country) Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis, Bobby Vinton, Bobby Darin, Wayne Newton, etc., and to Pop music back then. cool

Edited by Larryz (09/01/17 08:04 AM)

#2876396 - 09/01/17 02:46 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

???

I thought you were only 1 year older than me. You just ran off a lot of artists and some of their tunes that came out when guys yur age should have still been in GRADE school! and a few when you should have been in JR. high. grin

But I know what you mean. wink
Whitefang
Whitefang

#2876435 - 09/01/17 04:51 PM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well I said they were "old tunes" when I was in High School LOL! I remember these songs still being played on my AM radio while cruising around in my 60 Ford that I bought in my Sophomore year '65. The songs mentioned came out in 62 and 63 when I was in about 7th and 8th grade (except Crazy and Misty came out in 59 about 4th grade) I should have thrown in Paper Roses by Anita Bryant '60 too...I started singing to the radio when I was 5 (circa 1955 Kindergarten) those tunes were Blue Suede Shoes, In the Jailhouse Now, The Cow Jumped Over the Moon (1870 my oldest in the set list LOL!), Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes! cool

Edited by Larryz (09/01/17 04:53 PM)

#2876513 - 09/02/17 04:07 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We've discussed the diversity in top 40 AM radio from back in "the day" before. Like in 10 minutes time you could hear a rock'n'roll tune, a country tune, then an R&B tune, and then maybe a folk tune. All without changing the station!

But since the most widely listened to radio stations are on the FM band these days, most of them became formatted. You have "Rock", "Hard Rock", Soft Rock", with Rap, Hip-Hop, what's called R&B these days and today's idea of Soul all shoved into a format called "Urban". And probably what's thought of as "Pop" these days in it's own radio station "format". My newspaper used to have a box in one section that listed the various local radio stations and their formats along with their Arbitron rating. They quit printing it in there a few years ago.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (09/02/17 04:07 AM)

#2876535 - 09/02/17 06:20 AM Re: Modern Pop Music Sucks! [Re: whitefang]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
We've discussed the diversity in top 40 AM radio from back in "the day" before. Like in 10 minutes time you could hear a rock'n'roll tune, a country tune, then an R&B tune, and then maybe a folk tune. All without changing the station!

This is true, that's why I grew up with an awareness of a variety of music, whatever came out of the speaker in my parents car when I was a kid.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose