Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving an A100 • dB vs. Hammond

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Internal speakers do not seem to work. Apart from the half-moon mentioned earlier, is there another switch somewhere else I'm missing?

When I plug it into the 145, sound comes out of the 145 only. When not connected to the 145, nothing. :idk:

dB

How does the 145 connect to the organ, via a 1/4" line out or a kit that's installed?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Internal speakers do not seem to work. Apart from the half-moon mentioned earlier, is there another switch somewhere else I'm missing?

When I plug it into the 145, sound comes out of the 145 only. When not connected to the 145, nothing. :idk:

dB

How does the 145 connect to the organ, via a 1/4" line out or a kit that's installed?

Multipin cable....so I guess that's a kit...? There's a box with a red metal face plate and a couple of knobs in the back of the Leslie...sez Leslie 147. Funny - I thought this was a 145.... :idk:

http://i.imgur.com/xnBQEZy.jpg

I do have a preamp pedal with 1/4 ins/multipin out as well - am I better off using that?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

it is a 145. The 145 and 147 shared the same amp, the only difference is the shorter cabinet, everything else is exactly the same.

Use the pre amp when you want something other than your A 100 into your 145. Might make your Mojo sound good. :laugh:

If you disconnect the 11 pin leslie cable, your half moon switch will be disabled.

Also, that is not a stock leslie cable from what I can see.

:nopity:

Post photos of the back and internal amp, wiring. Something's likely not right in regard to internal spkr/sound (and if not done correctly it can be bad for your pwr amp).

If you want switchable echo (switching between internal spkr, leslie, or both) you need a tech to go over your rig and set it up (or do yourself).

My guess is the former owner opted not to use the internal speaker and so it is simply disconnected.

Here are a couple links to help explain your current hook-up and what's needed to have both internal and Leslie.

Leslie 147 hook-up

Main Echo Switching

Also check out the 6147 kit at

TW General Hospital

And BTW just providing this for info.

Does the reverb control work through the Leslie?

Is there a main/echo/ensemble switch anywhere?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

If you want switchable echo (switching between internal spkr, leslie, or both) you need a tech to go over your rig and set it up (or do yourself).

That's my expectation.

Does the reverb control work through the Leslie?

Is there a main/echo/ensemble switch anywhere?

All covered earlier in the thread - no reverb at the moment, no echo switch.

dB

Okay. Need pics. Show routing from AO28 G terminals to the Leslie receptacle, the AO39 and AO35 (or AO44). Also internal speaker terminals, and a general wide-angle shot.

Note - a very common way to kill the internal amps is to pull the 5U4 from the AO39. Is it there? Are the heaters glowing on the tubes in that amp?

re. echo control - honestly, your money is better spent IMO. I have never met a person who wanted to run their organ without a Leslie when they had one, and you're not going to want to give up the internal speakers, either. It's like running a B3 with a Leslie and a PR20. Just wire it up so it all works all the time.

Wes

Okay. Need pics. Show routing from AO28 G terminals to the Leslie receptacle, the AO39 and AO35 (or AO44). Also internal speaker terminals, and a general wide-angle shot.

WIll do my best...but my experience leve here is low.

Note - a very common way to kill the internal amps is to pull the 5U4 from the AO39. Is it there? Are the heaters glowing on the tubes in that amp?

Over my head...sorry...

re. echo control - honestly, your money is better spent IMO. I have never met a person who wanted to run their organ without a Leslie when they had one, and you're not going to want to give up the internal speakers, either. It's like running a B3 with a Leslie and a PR20. Just wire it up so it all works all the time.

I actually think I might want the option of running it without the internal speakers. My main use for this (besides the obivious one, of course) is learning how to mic and record a Hammond, so I'm gonna want to get just Leslie....and I deeefinitely wanna have both.

You're probably right that I won't want just the internal speakers, though.

Thanks, Wes!

dB

I haven't played an A-100 with the internal speakers plus a Leslie bu I have played a C3 plus a stationary tone cab and Leslies. I thought it was a great sound. I'm guessing the A-100 could add that same kind of vibe.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Over my head...sorry...

dB

It's easier than it sounds. Looking into the back of the A100 you'll see an amp at the bottom right. It has some tubes. The largest tube is part of the drive circuit for the internal speakers. If it's not there or not glowing when powered up they'll be no sound from the internal speakers. As Wes mentioned, I enable and disable the internal speakers by having this tube in or out. FWIW, I usually have the internal speakers enabled because I like how they add to the low end.

Following up on Dave D's comment regarding the Mojo to preamp to Leslie 145. I've done this and it sounds great! Very authentic.

It's easier than it sounds. Looking into the back of the A100 you'll see an amp at the bottom right. It has some tubes. The largest tube is part of the drive circuit for the internal speakers. If it's not there or not glowing when powered up they'll be no sound from the internal speakers. As Wes mentioned, I enable and disable the internal speakers by having this tube in or out. FWIW, I usually have the internal speakers enabled because I like how they add to the low end.

Makes sense. Will check it out - it would be cool if it was that simple.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, it appears that A100s from 1961 with low serial numbers (including mine) allow the reverb to be locked. That may be why it's not working on mine.

Following up on Dave D's comment regarding the Mojo to preamp to Leslie 145. I've done this and it sounds great! Very authentic.

Believe me, I'm all over that. I'm gonna try running a ton of stuff through the 145. I wanna do the Mini... :cool:

Thanks, Al!

dB

Makes sense. Will check it out - it would be cool if it was that simple.

Bingo.

http://i.imgur.com/MlDcAeD.jpg

Best place to get what I need?

dB

Possibilities -

Hammond/Leslie motor oil, spare/replacement tube/belts for the Leslie, spring kits foir the upper and lower slow motors (if you plan on using them), Replacement Capacitor cans for the A0-28 Amp and the Leslie147, replacement grommets...

I could go on but it really depends on the condition of your Leslie. Maybe wait on some of this if you're planning on a tech checking it out and getting you set up the way you wish.

None of this stuff takes a rocket scientist -

Possibilities -

Hammond/Leslie motor oil, spare/replacement tube/belts for the Leslie, spring kits foir the upper and lower slow motors (if you plan on using them), Replacement Capacitor cans for the A0-28 Amp and the Leslie147, replacement grommets...

I could go on but it really depends on the condition of your Leslie. Maybe wait on some of this if you're planning on a tech checking it out and getting you set up the way you wish.

My plan is to take it one thing at a time as I work my way through this.

I definitely do plan to have Ken Rich give it a once over. Considering the price I paid for it, I figure I'll still be ahead even after that; however, anything I can pick off myself, I'd definitely like to...not just to fix it - I also wanna learn.

dB

Excellent - definitely the right attitude. Hammonds and Leslies require periodic maintenance even under the best conditions. Everything I mentioned so far involves no soldering or electronics knowledge.

One thing I forgot- spare O-rings for the Fast motor. This is what engages with the slow motors and they wear out over time. Again assuming you're not just going to unplug the slow motors as some folks here like to do.

One thing I forgot- spare O-rings for the Fast motor. This is what engages with the slow motors and they wear out over time. Again assuming you're not just going to unplug the slow motors as some folks here like to do.

Not me, man. I like the slow motors.

dB

If you're not frequently turning the internal speakers on/off, then pulling the 5U4G (this is a rectifier) from the AO39 is not a bad way to go. I suspect you will only do it once. :) Adding MEE wiring with a proper kit is somewhat expensive and generally not worth it IMO. If you were on a budget, you could add off-the-shelf switches and load resistors and hide them inside the box if you really wanted to.

The reverb won't work at all without the AO39 working. It needs the output from the AO39 (internal power amp) to power the input of the AO35 (very desirable reverb amp). Chances are very close to zero that the reverb tank is locked. Nobody does that.

If you're going to be recording that Leslie and want to minimize mechanical noise, you should go through the stacks (should do that anyway) and make sure they are correctly lubed and aligned...then reassemble and replace all the rubber mounting bits, bearings, etc. That stuff is available lots of places online. If you want, I can sell cheaper than anybody if you're only buying for 1 Leslie at a time. You need good mechanical aptitude for that work. Can you turn wrenches on cars? For recording, you'll also want a Trek-II relay installed to eliminate the "click". Get Ken to do that, it sounds like you're not comforable with tube electronics. (I would also have Ken rebuild the Leslie, but I don't know what your budget is like. At least ask him to remove the death caps)

Wes

For your reference, the 8 pin tube socket should have a 5U4GB rectifier tube, the two 9 pin sockets that are next to the 5U4 are 6BQ5 power amplifier tubes, the one 9 pin socket by itself is a 12AU7 preamp/driver tube.

All of these are at least relatively common today. 6BQ5 are used in a lot of guitar amps, and same with 12AU7. Today's tubes are crud compared to 1970's tubes, but Hammond chose long life over power, so they are not driven very hard (in contrast to most guitar amp use).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Not a hijack, its just that there's so much A100 knowledge here and so many eyes on this thread that I thought I could ask a quick somewhat relevant question..

My A100 comes up fine except for a low level and lower frequency hum that eventually tapers off after awhile. I suspect a bad cap somewhere but not sure.

Any quick pointers? (Bone stock, switches and kit ready for MEE install to 147 amp )

Bone stock means it's a 60 year old organ that likely needs a bunch of stuff TBH.

You can eliminate the reverb and power amp quickly by listening to the GG terminals on the AO28 (upside down amp) with a pair of headphones. If the AO28 is quiet...think about just doing a B3-style hookup to the Leslie. :D

Wes

Y'see, this is exactly what I've been wary of. So much info to know to get anywhere near competence...really glad to see that a decent amount of it seems relatively easy to find...here, anyway - along with helpful folks to simplfy it for the console challenged such as myself. :eek:

Have I mentioned recently that I love this forum? :)

dB