Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Melvin Seals appreciation thread.

We've established that there's a reasonable number of folks here who appreciate the Grateful Dead from a keyboard perspective.

But this summer, I landed with a Jerry Garcia Band group. Not the same thing, at least from a keyboard perspective. Bring serious B3 action, or suck.

For most of the later JGB stuff, Melvin Seals was the man on B3. That's all he played. And Jerry went for it. Classic four piece. Just sayin'

Jerry was the star, naturally. But when it was time for Melvin to bring game. he did. Very inspiring stuff in my genre :)

Check it out at 6 minutes.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll jump in on this... "The Master of the Universe," as Garcia called him, was the reason I fell in love with the B3! He's also a great guy and really easy to talk to.. I've met him like 3 times.

Care to share any of his riffs, drawbar settings, or any quick tips you use in your JGB band?

Also, with all due respect, I think there are many, much better solos that do Melvin more justice with regard to how incredibly freakin intense and soulful he is. He makes the B, C (and even Nords) scream and sing simultaneously

My Buddy Michael Falzarano (Hot Tuna and New Riders) uses him a lot for his recordings and CD's. Michael was a sit-in player for almost 2 years with my old band, we played a lot of gigs together. I was supposed to do a gig with Mike and Melvin on one of Michael's gigs...I was going to be on piano, Melvin on Hammond of course! Never happened, but I still occasional get a call from Michael so maybe in the future at some point..

I really wanted to play that gig... the date fell through!

Melvin and Pete Sears (on piano Starship, Rod Stewart solo +) are both mainstays from that SF crew ... there is kind of a NYC(and Woodstock Records)/SF connection . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I love Melvin Seals!

This video may not be his greatest solo but you can't get more up close and personal than this! Solo starts around the 4 minute mark. Cross-referencing the thread last week on using multiple leslies, dig Melvin's stack of two behind him.

[video:youtube]

he's an absolute monster. He's my absolute favorite thing to come out of the dead existing, I've never been able to get into them, but he's otherworldly. Had the pleasure of seeing him in person for the first time a few weeks back playing with Terrapin Flyer. My friends convinced me to... uh... 'get into the spirit of the Grateful Dead' for the show, if you will, and lemme tell ya, standing 15 feet away from that man's howling Leslie speaker is a beautiful experience.

My introduction to Melvin Seals was Elvin Bishop's "Raisin' Hell" live album in 1977. The whole band cooked, but his work on B3 was amazing.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Would you folks please post some killer Melvin solos? This thread has prompted me to revisit JGB material, and much to my chagrin, I'm finding a lot of Melvin's soloing to be sloppy and/or unsophisticated.

Melvin was a huge influence on my interest in the B3. But I have a strong emotional bond with JGB and want to make sure I'm not a victim of rose-colored glasses when it comes to praising him. I mean, I love Jerry Garcia, too, but I'd be hard pressed to post videos of him singing well!

Anyone else play with this type of style?

Almost everyone here and when I look up videos plays Hammond mostly jazzy with really fast runs and scales and cool riffs and all but Melvin's style is so incredibly soulful with BIG chords and smears and such. I feel like he just unleashes the power of the B and the Leslie.

Anyone else play with this type of style?

Almost everyone here and when I look up videos plays Hammond mostly jazzy with really fast runs and scales and cool riffs and all but Melvin's style is so incredibly soulful with BIG chords and smears and such. I feel like he just unleashes the power of the B and the Leslie.

Everybody has their own style, but I would give a listen to some of the usual rock/soul suspects - Steve Winwood, Gregg Allman, Booker T. etc.

Also check out the gospel players.

Moe

---

Melvin (and Brent Mydland) are the reason I play keys today, with an emphasis on B3!

Legatoboy, I'm playing with Michael Falz in a band with some frequency these days. What was your band in which he used to play?

Jeff,

It was 'The Kerry Kearney Band'...Michael would just be on the gig. I wouldn't know often till I got to the gig. Kerry and Michael I think knew each other from SF. But possibly Brooklyn.Manhattan prior. For about 2 years on and off actually a bit more and Michael was involved a bit with production of our (Kerry's )CD;s. .Played a few gigs with Buddy Cage also in that scene w Michael and KK. This was right after he left Jorma and Jack's HT in and around NYC and the Tristate sometimes Woodstock where Harvey Sorgum lives. ...Kerry was Marty Balin's guitarist for 5 years or so and played a few Starship tours with all of them Kantner and Slick etc ...tell Michael I said hello please Jeff. He was playing close to my house a few weeks back @Beau's Pub in Greenlawn LI, NY with 'Dead Sage'. My wife and I went down to say hello and hang.. told me the next time they were there to bring a DP! Michael such a great guy and easy going! I'm on this (Planet Blues), one of Mike's tunes he brought into to a KKB recording session. Tried to do my best B.Payne on it but my CP-300 action was so heavy, I have soso feeling about my playing on this track. This was a while ago, 10 years or so maybe: :keys::cheers: [video:youtube]

I'm on Accordion on this on from The King James Sessions with Pete Sears on piano from Starship/Rod Stewart/Hot Tuna fame. Pete is Michael's long time bandmate from HT and good buddy. Pete and Melvin are his go to players for recording at least then they were! [video:youtube]

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I've been playing and listening to Dead music for a long time; now I've started to become a JGB convert.

For one thing, Jerry is more Jerry, and Melvin does the roots stuff justice.

Brent playing B3 in the Dead had flash; Melvin brought soul.

Put together a playlist and lovin' it.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I've been listening to a lot of JGB this past week, mostly to confront my concern above Melvin's soloing. I think I stand by my assessment. Melvin played solos infrequently in JGB, and when he did, he utilized a surprisingly small bag of tricks.

BUT his comping is out of this world! So creative... so many different ideas. Jerry takes a 3+ minute guitar solo in almost every song. Melvin's organ is the only non rhythm-section instrument supporting him, and Melvin makes it sound super thick and, even more impressively, not repetitive or boring.

Here is one of my favorite Melvin solos in JGB, starts about the 4:20 mark:

I heard him with a so- so Dead tribute band a year or so ago and was impressed with his sound, which was top notch. He carries one of the best sounding road rigs I have ever heard. Nice chop and a couple leslies....

He handled the Dead material in a very crafty way. I would like to hear what else he can do in a different setting that featured him more.

A major player , obviously.

On that same album, you're not blow away by the lucky ol sun or Dixie down solos? They are mad intense

I am blown away by Melvin...I don't play that way anymore on Hammond, I had a similar 'scream' to my Hammond playing in a previous life (still do a bit). But 25+ years of piano study have changed me up a bit..

I can really relate to Melvin though.. and believe me I wish I had played that gig with him.

• 2 years later...