Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving an A100 • dB vs. Hammond

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of a bucket list thing for me.

I know, right? Me, too... :w00t:

Thank the powers that be that my wife had a grandmother who had a Hammond when she was growing up. She can't wait for it to get here. SHE cleared space for it in the living room. :cool:

I can't believe I own a Hammond - especially an A series. What a rush...and it isn't even here yet...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

'61 was a good year for these. I've got a '60 with the necklace reverb and no pilot light, yours probably has a tank reverb and pilot light.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

so, tell us about the half moon switch

It works fine. :thu:

No worries on the reverb. Remember, I got the whole package for $1500, so I figure I'll still be ahead afger a visit from Dr. Rich.

dB

yes you will. I'm curious though which half moon switch is it. Internal/external speaker or tremolo/ chorale?

:nopity:

Tremolo/Chorale.

I actually don't know how to turn the internal speakers on....is it easy to figure out? Just a matter of running it without the Leslie connected, I hope...?

dB

They should be running concurrent with the Leslie unless the speaker wires have been removed.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Congrats!!! Another happy A-100 owner here. I was told once the A-100 has a bass boost compared to the other models, since the sound was intended to go through the internal speakers. I can't compare, but mine sure packs a punch..!

My B-3 has a lot more bottom end than my A-100 and the Leslie kit in my A-100 is tapping off the internal amp which is supposed to provide this bass boost. YMMV. . .

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I don't know if you guys saw it on FB if you're there, but back in June I stumbled across the A-100 service manual at a resale shop. They've had some old organ music books that probably belonged to the same person at various times, most of which I chuckled at and put back. But then I found that service manual and of course bought it. For 25 cents. :o Yes, I know there's one online at theaterorgans.com, but it's much easier to read the printed version than all that unformatted OCR text.

https://www.facebook.com/JoeMuscara/posts/10155409136514853

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The results can be catastrophic.

Just moving around your single floor house not necessary. Taking it on the road in a trailer where things can happen that can bounce the organ really good then it is a must.

What you don't need to do is refloat the generator when you are done. Depends on the noise level and whether you can live with it. In a rock band a floating generator is irrelevant. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Todd and Moe can validate this but the most common result are broken wires coming off the generator. The othe thing is pickup rods get rammed into the generator. If that happens the impacted tonewheels won't turn.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Congrats with the organ. My gigging organ until a year ago was my A100 with 147 Leslie.

Locking the tonegenerator are easy to do :

My first M100 was not secured, so when I recieved it, several broken wires :-(

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Locking the tonegenerator are easy to do :

I know that part...unfortunately, I'm not going to be there when its prepared for transport, so I have to convince the seller to do it. I had actually already found that same vid you linked to and sent it to him.

Since he doesn;t know about it, I'm hoping it was never unlocked.

Through some research, I've also found that the reverb can be locked on units under ~s/n 6000 (which mine is), so I'm hoping that may be why that isn't working.

What you don't need to do is refloat the generator when you are done. Depends on the noise level and whether you can live with it. In a rock band a floating generator is irrelevant. :D

Yep, I know that much...but I'm getting this for recording/fun playing and don't expect to move it much (if at all)...so I'll almost certainly want it unlocked when it gets here.

Man, I love this forum. Today, it's responsible for me getting a killer deal on something I've always wanted, and has provided a ton of invaluable info and perspective on dealing more than a few of the fine points...and - the best part - I get to share the excitement with a bunch of like minded folk. Too cool.

Thank you, gentlemen!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Man, I love this forum. Today, it's responsible for me getting a killer deal on something I've always wanted, and has provided a ton of invaluable info and perspective on dealing more than a few of the fine points...and - the best part - I get to share the excitement with a bunch of like minded folk. Too cool.
The same thing has happened to me. Numerous times! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Through some research, I've also found that the reverb can be locked on units under ~s/n 6000 (which mine is), so I'm hoping that may be why that isn't working. dB

Earlier this week I was actually researching reverb tanks after discovering the one in my Elements is busted. It turns out the most common failure is a simple broken connection due to the moving mechanism. So if yours really is broken they're easy to remove and simple to fix (I believe) - whether diy or other.

I actually don't know how to turn the internal speakers on....is it easy to figure out? Just a matter of running it without the Leslie connected, I hope...?

dB

They should be running concurrent with the Leslie unless the speaker wires have been removed.

Right, Jason. That's what I was trying to figure out. Dave, you will need Ken to attach a second half moon to switch between internal and external speaker. Center detente is both, that's where mine lives. ;)

If it's only that the speakers are disconnected, hopefully the reverb is fine and will work when they are reconnected. My A 100 does not send reverb to the leslie, only to the internal speakers.

Incidentally, Kevin (Kanker) also owns an A 100. He told me last year that he doesn't even have it connected to his leslie anymore, only uses the internal speakers, and uses C/V in place of tremelo. Essentially, stop to C/V.

:nopity: