Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving an A100 • dB vs. Hammond

I admit it - I've never done it. Not from one city to another, anyway....and certainly not a full rig with pedalboard, bench and Leslie (145).

I'm considering acquiring said beastie. If I do so, what's the best way to get it from where it is a few towns away from me to my house without hurting it (or myself, for that matter)? :idk::D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pedals lift off easily, you have to lock down the generator, just like a B or C (remove the bolts, reverse & screw 'em back in), and keep it upright and WELL tied down. A couple of strong friends will come in handy as those suckers are HEAVY.

You will need a pair of ROKs. Trust me.

It can be easily transported in a van or even a small trailer. The last 2 consoles I bought came home in a 5x8 Uhaul trailer, covered in quilts which were strapped on with ROKs. Strap it to the side of the vehicle and get most of the weight towards the front.

Moe

---

In the event that you are unaware of this terminology, ROK stands for Roll-Or-Kari; rental places often call them Dual Trucks. Locking the generator is very important and you can find a proceedure online with photos. The irgan itself is nearly 300 pounds and it is awkward to handle with more than two people. Avoid stairs; they fully suck.

Dave also with the ROK's contact some piano movers or rental places. I bought a pair from a rental place that had an extra set in 2003 for 75 dollars. They are more than worth it. If the base plates are 28 inches it's better but 23 inch plates will work with an A-100.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

There's SOMETHING about A-100 organs. Other than built-in speakers and reverb, they are electronically identical to a B3. Yet every A-100 I played was a good sounding Hammond, better than some B3s I played.

This one looks to be in fairly good condition as well.

http://i.imgur.com/cftxqj3.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

If you think you may occasionally move it after you bring it home just leave the generator locked. It doesn't add much noise. Floating the generator is only important for recording.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

They are good organs. A couple of techs told me some of the piano and organ stores told customers it wasn't as much as a B cabinet or an inferior organ which is interesting.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This one looks to be in fairly good condition as well.

hard to tell from that photo but the organ looks to be red mahogany and the bench looks to be walnut. Also guessing it has been modded with a line out for a combo pre amp so the 145 can be used. Easy enough to do. Is the half moon for switching back and forth between the leslie and the internal speakers? If that's the case then you will have to use the pre amp to control chorale/tremelo on the leslie which will be difficult if using pedals. With the bass pedals not being used it will fit under the organ to the right of the swell pedal

:nopity:

I've had an A-101 since 1988 and it was in the basement of my current house from 1994 until 2014 when I finished my detached garage with music room/party room upstairs. So it was time to move the organ from my basement (concrete stairs) across my backyard and driveway about 100 yards and upstairs into my new music room.

I thought about DIY moving for about 2 seconds and then I did some inquiry in my town. I found a mover that specialized in moving pianos and organs and he was the real deal. He brought over 3 guys and they moved it very carefully and safely. I think I paid them $350 or so and it was worth every penny.

I know a guy who owns and gigs with what I think is a B3 from the 1950s. Don't know the model. But he says that he moves it himself, renting a van for each gig. I don't know how he manages. He gigs pretty often (and has apparently avoided throwing his back out), so must have a system.

Are any of these models notably harder or easier to move than others?

I know a guy who owns and gigs with what I think is a B3 from the 1950s. Don't know the model. But he says that he moves it himself, renting a van for each gig. I don't know how he manages. He gigs pretty often (and has apparently avoided throwing his back out), so must have a system.

Are any of these models notably harder or easier to move than others?

I think they are similar to move and not so bad on ROKs with ramps into the van, so long as not steps are involved. The B3 cabinet has less wood and is theoretically a bit lighter than an A100, but they are all 300+ lb beasts that suck to move on stairs.

They are all hard, just different degrees of hard. The C-3 weighs the most. Also get a 3/4" piece of plywood to set underneath the organ. The ROK's will more easily pick up the organ & also it will slide over stairs, etc. better.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I found a mover that specialized in moving pianos and organs

Eric, I did the same. I actually never considered moving my A 100 myself. Hired a piano moving company and they moved the organ from downtown DC to DC suburbs for $200.00. Money well spent.

:nopity:

Now all I have to do is decide to buy it.
Yes, you do. C'mon, join the A-100 club!!!! :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI