Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2878452 - 09/11/17 02:40 PM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: A String]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: A String
Originally Posted By: DocPate
Just curious. Why do people associate rural Tennessee with rednecks and racism? I grew up in middle Tennessee on a farm and

Blame Movies and TV shows.

And what, Doc?

And you can't blame it all on TV and movies. I've worked in a GM plant that had plenty transplanted Southerners from Tenn. KY. and other states that had strong racist attitudes. But, sure, not everyone from Southland did. And plenty whites in the neighborhood I grew up in that WEREN'T from the South had them too. Odd thing.....

Of course, me and my brother grew up in the same house, raised(of course) by the same people, who never to my recollection ever uttered any racist nonsense. Yet, my brother wound up for YEARS being a "militant" racist, while I never was. In fact, man of my "friends" used to razz me because I insisted, when doing "eeny, meeny, miney, moe" on sayng "Catch a TIGER by the toe." wink
Whitefang PS: BTW...there was a guy here in the forum early on in my membership that insisted I WAS a racist due to my choosing the Soupy sales puppet character WHITEFANG'S name for my "handle" instead of the other one, named BLACKTOOTH. crazy

Edited by whitefang (09/11/17 02:41 PM)

GP Island
#2880490 - 09/20/17 03:19 PM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Stereotypes often (not always) have some basis.
Skin color prejudice [*] is rampant in many areas, not just rural, but it does tend to be more obvious there.

--------------------------------------
[*] A term that I employ b/c there is no different human race on which to base "racism".
Calling it what it is makes the idiocy of it more obvious.

#2880562 - Yesterday at 04:19 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: d]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I sort of believe in "innocent until proven guilty" and things like that, and that we are all 100% human and yet unique individuals.... but being human, I have my prejudices and tribal loyalties and all that.
If I acknowledge as much, I can hope to look beyond people's outward appearance and not leap to conclusions about people I don't even know.
But it's not always EASY....

#2880567 - Yesterday at 04:47 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: Eric Iverson]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If you asked any bigot WHY he hates blacks, or whichever "color" his reply will most likely be based on unsubstantiated stereotype. But mostly it boils down to beause they don't "act white". It's very similar to those stupid "conservative vs. liberal" feuds.

I'd like to address d's second part of his post up there, "there is no different human race" part----

I remember back in the late '60's cartoonist AL CAPP('Li'l Abner") was at the time an outspoken social critic that toured college campuses giving lectures sometimes raising the ire of college students with some of his commentary. Anyway....

He was on Johnny Carson's "Tonight" show one night, and Carson had handed out little cards to the audience to put down questions some might have for Capp. One question he read was "What is your opinion on interracial marriages?"

Capp's reply was, "Interracial marriages? I don't know of any. The only marriages I'M familiar with involve members of the HUMAN race." wink

So, d's calling it "skin color prejudice" IS more on the money, and actually no less stupid than bigotry or "racism" to begin with.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (Yesterday at 04:49 AM)

#2880603 - Yesterday at 07:21 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: p90jr]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
I am ashamed to admit that my mother was a racist. One day I was listening to a recording and she said to me, "Fred, the only music you listen to and play is by drunken, old, black men." I remained silent because I could not refute the statement. It was true. They were old. They were black. They were often drunk. I loved their music.

#2880614 - Yesterday at 07:56 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: Fred_C]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Fred, that was yer mom.
She was led to think one way but may've at some time came to think differently, as you , me & others have.

While it's important to remember what various ppl have done, it's also important to realize that we ( & even , ugh, "them") can change.

#2880616 - Yesterday at 07:59 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: Fred_C]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Well, conservatives and liberals often have actual reasons for disliking each other, or at least their politics and methods.

Racists- at least the ones who weren't raised in a household of hate- usually have one or more catalyzing event that drove them to their bigotry.

As for being embarrassed by the racists in our families, well...it can happen in any family. Even black ones- don't let anyone tell you differently.

My fraternal aunt has a history as being a militant black. Not exactly Black Panthers, but enough so that she has often espoused a hatred of whites. However, my friends seem to have softened that edge, particularly the one who cared for her cat for a while when she could not.

And I worked very, very hard with a couple of my cousins who were headed down a path of antisemitism and hatred of Asians back in the 1990s. Educating them on reality helped a lot: that they were descended from Jews on their mothers' side had never been explained to them. Pointing out the importance of Asians to the history of NOLA and the black community helped too.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (Yesterday at 08:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Correcting an AutoCorrect

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2880621 - Yesterday at 08:11 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: d]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
@d,

Unfortunately, she never changed. She died in 1980 and went to her grave as a racist.

I understand that the vast majority of white people of her generation were vehemently racist and their hatred was basically cultural. My father, although far from being "enlightened" did not spew hatred like my mother.

#2880629 - Yesterday at 08:38 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: Fred_C]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's a contrast.
My mum was born in late 1920s Appalachia.
She grew up in an environment full of hate against others, often inculcated, as one of our Bob's said, as pawns in the game.

None of her sisters or brothers grew out of that.
When my maternal GMa, who was my 1st slide gtr teacher, saw Rahsaan Kirk & Mingus on the Sullivan show in 1960s she was speechlessly aghast.
To her the Rolling Stones, even the Beatles , sounded like "screaming nigs"---incidentally the same term used by a drummer I auditioned in 1979 when confronted w/ some PFunk tunes.

My mum, however, while she never fought her family on such things, made sure my sister & I knew better.
At one point her 2 fave recordings were Aretha Franklin's "House that Jack Built" & cover of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

I've mentioned this before but, to reiterate, the best tool we have before us for changing ppl's hearts is music.

Please, all who care abt this stuff, find the book MUMBO JUMBO by Ishmael Reed.
It delineates how music, more than anything else in the 20th C, changed culture in the USA &, thence, around the world....though the job's not done.
Plus it's a fun read & very creative twist on standard narrative tech.

#2880646 - Yesterday at 09:50 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: d
Please, all who care abt this stuff, find the book MUMBO JUMBO by Ishmael Reed. It delineates how music, more than anything else in the 20th C, changed culture in the USA &, thence, around the world....though the job's not done.
Plus it's a fun read & very creative twist on standard narrative tech.

I feel the truly important triumph of roll & roll was that it signaled white youth's rejection of the previous generation's segregation. By embracing Black culture, 50's white youth laid the ground for the Civil Rights era of the 60's.

#2880737 - Yesterday at 02:59 PM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, I can understand the feeling when it's discovered that some people you long love and respected reveal they have attitudes you yourself have long before rejected.

Like the shock, disappointment and sick feeling I got when leaving a visit with my Grandfather( biodad's dad) just as the popular TV mini-series "The Holocaust" was coming on the TV. He turned and said, "Boy, you know, that Hitler had the right idea. Kill all those Jewish bastards." And when it was clear he wasn'tjoking, I said my goodnight and didn't see him again. until his funeral.
Whitefang

#2880774 - Yesterday at 04:44 PM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Many years ago, right before he boarded a plane home, my grandfather told me I had to marry a black woman. I just shrugged it off. After moving away from NOLA, I don't know that I've lived in a city with more than 5% black population demographics. And because of who I am, where I live, and what I do, I don't interact with American blacks all that often. Africans, yes. South American and Caribbean blacks, yes. Those from the US of A? Not so much.

A lot of minority kids growing up in the USA hear something like that from their ancestors. Or sometimes from other friends and family, A good freind of mine had a tough time convincing her naturalized Chinese parents that the white guy she met in college in San Antonio would actually be a worthy son in law.

Just like the white nationalists/separatists/nationalists, there's a fear of cultural erasure resulting from assimilation and blending.

Me? I'm gumbo and proud of it,

And should I find a woman who is as fond of me as I am of her, her melanin count will be utterly irrelevant.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2880837 - Today at 04:29 AM Re: White Blues guitarists who don't like African Americans. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In some cases, it gets that bad in other area's,like Catholic families disapproving of their sons or daughters marrying outside of their FAITH, Or even ethnicity. Like Italian girls always encouraged to find themselves "A nice Italian boy" and like that with other "nationalities". And then some purposely avoid it, like none of my wife's sisters, and of course her too, married any Mexican men. In fact, according to my wife, it was growing up noticing how their friend's Mexican fathers constantly cheated on their Mexican mothers, plus their Father's strong sense of chauvinism, that repelled them against the idea of marrying a Mexican man.

And in spite of how some "traditionalists", either white or black feel, the "mixing" of the "races" goes on and is even increasing. It was a bit comically approached in the Warren Beatty movie "Bulworth" when the title character, a senator running for re-election, talking about the "issue" of interracial marriage and mixing and the big deal some peple make about race issues, saying, "We're all gonna keep f***king each other until we're all the same color anyway, so why make a big deal out of it now?" grin

As to "cultural erasure", well,I always thought "culture" was about HOW and WHAT people were and did, and not WHO they were.
Whitefang

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose