Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2872404 - 08/11/17 02:38 PM MobileSheets for windows
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Ever since I got my Windows Surface pro a couple of years ago, I have been searching for an app to display my sheet music. At the time when I bought it, there was literally nothing available.

Now, however, I have just discovered a new, extremely promising looking app called MobileSheets. It seems great: allows you to create folders of music, arrange your music into setlists, annotate, give some midi messages etc. Best of all: It works in LANDSCAPE mode!! So I can use my surface as a tablet, turn it on its end and have A4 sized music again....... after about a decade of looking at tiny charts on my ipad. I only bought it today so don't know all about it yet, but I am pretty excited and this may possibly lead me to gigging with my surface instead of my ipad in future...

Can't believe how BIG all my charts are now..... grin

KC Island
#2872409 - 08/11/17 02:48 PM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: xKnuckles]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: xKnuckles
Best of all: It works in LANDSCAPE mode!! So I can use my surface as a tablet, turn it on its end and have A4 sized music again

Okay, wouldn't that be portrait mode? For single pages anyway. But hey, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, so if left is right and right is left, maybe up is down and down is up. ;-)

#2872411 - 08/11/17 02:56 PM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: AnotherScott]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

LOL!! grin Oops......... It has been a looooooong week,......and I am tfel handed & therefore generally confused & back to front...

I forgot to mention that ...even BETTER... if you are actually in landscape mode, I think you can display two sheets of music side by side....This could be allow me to play some two page music which, up till now, I have avoided because of my deep rooted horror of electronic page turns; as well as being SO good for my general stress levels & overall quality of life.... I shall experiment with it after the weekend... smile

#2872512 - 08/12/17 07:45 AM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: xKnuckles]
MurMan Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Diego
One of the reviewers said that it sometimes doesn't start up when there's no Internet connection. Have you had this happen?

(For the tfel handed, that's tenretnI. laugh)

#2872594 - 08/13/17 03:09 AM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: MurMan]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

knahT uoy yarruM. I have not heard of this..... and I have not tried it without internet yet.... must experiment. I have got it doing the two sheets side by side successfully. Seems great! I think I will either put it on a music stand ot get a holder which will allow me to swivel between portrait and landscape as needs be. Ironically I had a bad experience on a gig yesterday in which a page turn didn't happen... I think I am going to swap from my ipad to this app ASAP so I never have that happen again.....

#2872610 - 08/13/17 06:47 AM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: xKnuckles]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland
I've been slowly importing one of my hymnals into it, and find it very easy to use. I've had no crashes or other strange behavior. I use it on a Surface Pro 3.

#2872657 - 08/13/17 12:40 PM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: wd8dky]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I've used MobileSheets Pro for some time. I like it. I load everything on it. It integrates well with the camera. Creating Pdf files on word processors or score software is too time consuming for my tastes. I usually hand write charts then take a picture of it then import it into MobileSheets. You can edit and add annotations over the chart. The Pro version is powerful. The Pro version was only $12 I think so I never messed with the lighter versions.

If I wasn't using Korg Setlist on the Kronos I would use MobileSheets Pro for MIDI control.

One thing to look out for is keeping the license key up to date. You need to connect to the net on the tablet once in a while to update to license. I only use the table for MobileSheets Pro and often do not go online. I had to leave a gig once before the show to go to McDonalds to connect to Wifi to update the license because there was no Wifi at the gig.

I run mine on a cheap Android tablet.

Edited by CEB (08/13/17 12:44 PM)

"I wish windshield wipers had tap tempo" Gavin Hage

#2872659 - 08/13/17 12:48 PM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: CEB]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
hmmm, interesting. I too own MobileSheets Pro on Android and never had to "re-connect" for licencing purposes??

Did you have the free version of the fully paid version?

#2872666 - 08/13/17 01:25 PM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: miden]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Fully paid I think. I paid $12 through Amazon. It happens behind the scenes. You just have to establish a net connection once in a while. I went too long without turning it on at home I guess. I don't connect to Wifi at the rehearsal place. I had no Wifi at the gig. I didn't know it did that until that one gig.

Edited by CEB (08/13/17 01:29 PM)

"I wish windshield wipers had tap tempo" Gavin Hage

#2872671 - 08/13/17 01:40 PM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: CEB]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
ahh okay , cool. That is handy to know!

#2872810 - 08/14/17 07:09 AM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: miden]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Cool, thanks for the tip! I'll probably keep using my Kindle for now but it would be good to see how my Surface works - the bigger screen will certainly be welcome.

#2873050 - 08/15/17 04:11 AM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: MorayM]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

I just tried it on the surface without wifi and it was fine. It is a seriously cool app! You can even choose whether to turn one or two pages at a time when viewing two at once. I have just reinstated into my repertoire a lovely batch of songs that are too complex to be squeezed onto one page, or with impossible page turns. smile

I will have to brace myself to look at midi next. I am hoping that it will send programme change messages. (....will first stock up on chocolate in preparation...)

#2873128 - 08/15/17 08:30 AM Re: MobileSheets for windows [Re: xKnuckles]
cedar Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York
I'm considering the purchase. As I mentioned a while back, I've already laboriously created separate PDFs of virtually all the lead sheets I have. I also created a spreadsheet with links, so not sure how much this program will add in terms of functionality. On the other hand, it doesn't cost much.

One thing I'm concerned about. It seems that there is no automatic syncing between devices. Is that correct? Because my PDFs and spreadsheet are saved on Google drive, everything for me right now is synced (assuming wifi connection).

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner