Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2872254 - 08/11/17 04:38 AM Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard
BuckW Offline

I know it's niche is live performance but I haven't found a keyboard that feels better to me than the Nord semi weighted waterfall.

I already have a Kurzweil MP10 for piano 88 keys but I also want and need a softer keyboard. I know the clean way to have a studio is to have controllers using software synths but the controllers I've been able to actually put my hands on have underwhelmed me. So I've got a stage 3 compact on pre-order from Sweetwater.

Opinions? Am I about to make a mistake? I wish I could check out the Crumar Mojo 61. It looks like it might work for a lot less money.

KC Island
#2872257 - 08/11/17 04:45 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
SteveQB Offline

Loc: Devon, UK
If you like the keybed, the sounds, and can afford it, then its not a mistake.

If its just the keybed you are looking for then it maybe possible to get an older stage (not sure if the keybeds are different in the compact).

As a controller its not the most advanced, but these days the host software can do a lot of things like splits etc. Obviously also no sequencer (not sure if you need that), but computer sequencers are more advanced anyway

#2872258 - 08/11/17 04:45 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I have a Stage 2 lite as a home keyboard that I really need to sell. It does three things well in a tight little package; piano, organ and synth. Problem is, it does all three with the same keyboard. IMHO there are keyboards that do each of those better. I want piano with hammer action, and organ with dual manual, and a synth with more features. When gigging the small setup has value. At home, I have the space to get all three. Thus, my Nord gets little use at home.

#2872262 - 08/11/17 05:02 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: RABid]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Nord Stage waterfall action is Fatar TP8O with Aftertouch.

If you want a dual manual organ controller for the home, the GSI DMC-122 uses that action as well for a lot less money.

#2872263 - 08/11/17 05:11 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: jeffinpghpa]
BuckW Offline

I had thought about the dmc122 but I doubt it would fit on top of my Kurzweil.

#2872363 - 08/11/17 11:08 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

I'm with Steve... if it makes you happy and you can afford it, it's not a mistake, even if you're only using it for a fraction of what it's designed to do. While there are other keyboards that use the Fatar TP8O, I'm not aware of any that feel like Nord's implementation, which seems to use heavier springs.

OTOH, you mentioned the Mojo61 which doesn't have aftertouch. If you don't need aftertouch, Nord offers the same action as the Stage in the Electro, which is a lot cheaper than the Stage. The "bottoming" of the action does feel a little different in these versions with and without the AT, though.

If you don't necessarily need all the "resistance" of Nord's version, besides the Mojo, you can find the same basic keyboard design in the Hammond SK1, XK1C, Numa Organ and Numa Organ 2. Other than the Mojo (which I haven't played), If the Nord is the heaviest sprung, the Numa Organ 2 is the lightest, and the others feel about the same as each other at some point on between. From what I've read, the Mojo is probably on the lighter side.

#2872420 - 08/11/17 03:34 PM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: AnotherScott]
BuckW Offline

I was basing my preference for the Nord Stage based on assuming it to be the same as the Electro; it sounds like that's not necessarily the case. It would be nice to have after touch though I don't think it's as controllable as a foot pedal or mod wheel.

#2872422 - 08/11/17 03:37 PM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: BuckW
It would be nice to have after touch though I don't think it's as controllable as a foot pedal or mod wheel.

It is not as subtly controllable, but it can feel more naturally expressive, more organic to your playing. It also allows you to introduce the effect without using up another hand or foot they might otherwise be occupied elsewhere. It depends what you're after. It's nice to have all the options!

#2872423 - 08/11/17 03:40 PM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: AnotherScott]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
OTOH, you mentioned the Mojo61 which doesn't have aftertouch.

it also doesn't have 73 keys, pitch and mod wheels, and Nord's A1 synth engine.
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2872427 - 08/11/17 03:48 PM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: davedoerfler]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
OTOH, you mentioned the Mojo61 which doesn't have aftertouch.

it also doesn't have 73 keys, pitch and mod wheels, and Nord's A1 synth engine.

And a whole lot of other things! But since he was drawn to the Nord for the action, I was just talking about actions.

#2872486 - 08/12/17 05:21 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: AnotherScott]
BuckW Offline

Another thing that draws me to the stage is the synth section which none of the others mentioned have, though I will have a computer so its not a deal breaker. Hard to beat the stage for hybridizing sounds and tweaking.

#2872490 - 08/12/17 05:32 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
hybridizing

A new word to add to our vocabulary. cheers

#2872525 - 08/12/17 08:45 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia

Opinions?

For studio use I think you're rationalizing/compromising on many aspects of a high priced board for the one aspect you do like. That tends to turn into dissatisfaction down the road - at least it does for me.

#2872526 - 08/12/17 08:48 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: AnotherScott]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
since he was drawn to the Nord for the action, I was just talking about actions.

Understood.

Since then,
Another thing that draws me to the stage is the synth section

I knew this was coming. wink cool
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2872529 - 08/12/17 09:05 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Since then,
Another thing that draws me to the stage is the synth section

I knew this was coming. wink cool

LOL

And yes, actually even further up he mentioned using it to control soft synths, so most likely he'd want pitch and mod controls, which right there rules out all those other single manual waterfall boards except Numa. (Or maybe something older like the Roland VR700/VR760... not that same Fatar action as the rest, but actually an action that many have preferred.)

Another thing that draws me to the stage is the synth section which none of the others mentioned have, though I will have a computer so its not a deal breaker. Hard to beat the stage for hybridizing sounds and tweaking.

Yes, once you get beyond the actions, there are all kinds of other nice things about the Nord. Not just the sounds, which as you mentioned, you can get (more or less) from your computer, but the non-computery way you interact with it.

Edited by AnotherScott (08/12/17 09:07 AM)
Edit Reason: Roland

#2872599 - 08/13/17 05:06 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: AnotherScott]
BuckW Offline

I thought about that controller designed to integrate with Komplete but got my hands on it and didn't care for the keyboard itself. I know i'd just wind up pining for the Nords (or was it pining for the fjords?).

Hybridizing, yeah somewhat like layering but not exactly. Plus I'm a bitch for coining words.

#2872602 - 08/13/17 05:30 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
10k Club

I thought about that controller designed to integrate with Komplete but got my hands on it and didn't care for the keyboard itself.

Since we're talking about SW actions, I assume you mean one of the models other than the 88. But while SW, those aren't waterfall. If you're open to non-waterfall, there are other boards you can look at. Based on liking the Nord and not liking the Komplete, it sounds like you might prefer a board that "pushes back" more than most, so another possibility could be a Kurzweil Artis7 or PC3K7 and similar. While they do not offer all the "immediacy" of the Nord, they make for strong MIDI controllers.

#2873059 - 08/15/17 04:52 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: AnotherScott]
BuckW Offline

All I really know is I like the feel of the keyboard of the electro 5D.

#2873078 - 08/15/17 06:37 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
10k Club

All I really know is I like the feel of the keyboard of the electro 5D.

Well then an E5D would be the safest purchase, since the main thing you want is an action you like, and that's the only one you've tried that you really like.

I understand the temptation to go to the NS3-73 for its synth, pitch/mod controls, etc., and it may be great for you... but do play it first (or get it from someplace with a good return policy), because while I haven't played the NS3, I have played the NS2-73, and to me, it didn't feel exactly like the E5D.

If the NS3 doesn't work for you, as I mentioned, those Kurzweils could be another possibility... they don't feel just like the E5D either, but I can envision where someone who likes the "pushback" of Nord could like the Kurz boards as well, and that would give you some other options that still have some of the things the NE5D lack, like the pitch/mod controls. But if you don't need those controls so much, you might just be happiest with the NE5D. You can also add a small knobby synth to the NE5D to get those direct synth functions you like. I've got a Roland Boutique sitting on my NE5D-73, fits fine, and it's easy to set up MIDI so you can easily switch it in and out when playing from the Nord's keys.

#2873665 - Today at 05:00 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: AnotherScott]
BuckW Offline

Which Roland Boutique?

#2873675 - Today at 05:33 AM Re: Nord Stage 3 as a home studio keyboard [Re: BuckW]
10k Club

Which Roland Boutique?

Whichever one you like the sound and features of. They're all the same size.

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/roland_boutique/

For your purposes, my preference would probably be the new SH-01A, because it's the only one that has a particular combination of two features you'd likely find especially useful: It has pitch/mod controls (unlike the SE-02) which is something the NE5D lacks as a controller, and its knobs send MIDI CC (unlike the JP-08/JX-03/JU-06), which makes it more useful for controlling soft synths. The SE-02 also has the MIDI functionality, and unlike the others (or your soft synths) is true (rather than virtual) analog, but it lacks the pitch/mod ribbons. (Though you might also be able to add pitch/mod controls from a phone app.) Another notable difference is that the SE02 is monophonic, while the others are polyphonic.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner