Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2872222 - 08/10/17 10:45 PM Helping out on holiday
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
I just got back from a river cruise (Budapest to Cologne) with my wife and her mother (who is 80 this year, hence the big holiday). We had a great time, although Vikki and I felt about 20 years too young for it...

Anyway, there was a pianist on board (older German guy named Petr), whose rig consisted of a Clavinova CLP445 GP (belonging to the ship) and a Technics KN7000 arranger (his own), along with a small Yamaha Stagepas PA (also his, I think).

Given the age bracket on the ship, his setlist was basically pure cheese but done quite well. Anyway, I introduced myself and we got quite friendly during the cruise.

One night, he confided he was having a problem with the Clavinova powering down when he was away from it and couldn't find out how to fix that. We'd both assumed it was an 'auto power off' feature familiar in modern keyboards but neither of us could find any reference to it in the manuals of the 400 series.

Anyway, after a bit of head-scratching, I found a 500 series manual which DID mention the feature and how to disable it (hold the bottom A down while powering up). I didn't know if it would work on a 400 series but we tried it and it worked. Petr was very happy!

So just call me the roving keyboard tech... Oh, and the meeting has once again tweaked my interest in an arranger keyboard, I must admit. Must. Resist. GAS...

KC Island
#2872231 - 08/11/17 01:14 AM Re: Helping out on holiday [Re: Aidan]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Smooth, leaving that admission of GAS guilt right til the end. poke wink

#2872232 - 08/11/17 01:16 AM Re: Helping out on holiday [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Bobadeath Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Well done sir. Did you do any sitting in?

#2872266 - 08/11/17 05:46 AM Re: Helping out on holiday [Re: Bobadeath]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Nice work, Aidan!

My wife's family recently invited us to join them on a cruise. Her aunt really was interested to have us go because of the music on board ship. I had the feeling that I wouldn't be too impressed. I mean, I'm sure the players are good to great, but I can't imagine I'd be discovering my new favorite band or anything.

#2872280 - 08/11/17 06:35 AM Re: Helping out on holiday [Re: Bobadeath]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Originally Posted By: Bobadohshe
Well done sir. Did you do any sitting in?

No, he didn't offer so I didn't ask. In any case, the real talent outshining us both was a cabin stewardess, who turned out to be a conservatoire student from Bratislava on a holiday job. She gave a little mini recital one night and, given the limitations of a Clavinova, rocked the first movement of the Appassionata. smile

And Majuscule, yeah...you noticed!

#2872282 - 08/11/17 06:44 AM Re: Helping out on holiday [Re: Aidan]
Frightful Mike Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The fellow that used to service my acoustic tells the story of being in the audience at a concert once. The artist found a problem with the grand, and the call went out. Is there a piano tuner/tech in the house! He went up, fixed the issue, and the show went on.

#2872424 - 08/11/17 03:43 PM Re: Helping out on holiday [Re: Frightful Mike]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
My wife and I were attending a wedding reception when the hall suddenly lost power due to a large thunderstorm. The DJ system, lights, air conditioning...everything was down. They were just getting ready to serve dinner, and the poor bride came up to me and asked if I would play piano. So they wheeled this lovely old (and remarkably in-tune) grand piano into the hall and the staff lit candles on all of the tables, and the setting actually ended up being quite romantic! After dinner, I recruited one of the bridesmaids who sang at the wedding ceremony and we did the first dance. Fortunately power was restored shortly thereafter, as I was out of material and the hall was getting sticky hot.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner