Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2872192 - 08/10/17 07:05 PM Bill Evans - worth hearing.
I-missRichardTee Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA

He is enthusiastic about his short solo, at about 10 minutes into this interview.
I am admittedly proud of being a North Jersey guy.. the place where Bill was born, and lived.

The solo is with Paul Chambers and Philly Jo Jones ( or is it Joe ).
He says he never could get that kind of solo going before or after.
Rhythm players have a powerful effect on a soloist.

KC Island
#2872207 - 08/10/17 08:28 PM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Thank you for posting this! Fascinating in the detail including the establishment of the trio.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2872224 - 08/10/17 10:54 PM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: JazzPiano88]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: JazzPiano88
Thank you for posting this! Fascinating in the detail including the establishment of the trio.

Thank you... this man is growing and growing in my estimation.

Afro American music.. Afro side rhythm Euro side harmony counterpoint
And Bill brought the Euro side as high than anyone.. for me anyway.

His interest in shall we say the Afro American side showed promise with Bass and Drum company he mentions.

But I was mostly ignorant of Bill Evans' debt to Bud Powell. Just a fantastic musician.. like he was Lizst or Ravel or Debussy or one of those hallowed cats of another era. Love this man.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (08/10/17 10:54 PM)

#2872249 - 08/11/17 04:20 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Rustar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Bookmark

#2872321 - 08/11/17 08:43 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: Rustar]
TommyS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
Superb. Thx.

#2872331 - 08/11/17 09:09 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: TommyS]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That was great to hear Bill speak while driving. We have something in common. We both find listening to music while driving a different experience than listening at home and I'm talking about critical listening and not just background music.

Edited by 16251 (08/11/17 09:10 AM)

#2872333 - 08/11/17 09:45 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: 16251]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Great interview. Very enlightening, especially on the racial aspect of him being the only white guy in Miles' band. And his experience opening for Benny Goodman.

That short clip of his solo on Bye Bye Blackbird was very uncharteristically "Bill sounding". It instantly reminded me of Keith Jarrett.

On "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" he has Philly and Sam Jones. I thought that was closer to Bud Powell and swinging more - at least differently - then his later records.

But the Riverside stuff with Scotty and Paul are groundbreaking and historical !

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2872348 - 08/11/17 10:23 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: Dave Ferris]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Great interview. Very enlightening, especially on the racial aspect of him being the only white guy in Miles' band. And his experience opening for Benny Goodman.

That short clip of his solo on Bye Bye Blackbird was very uncharteristically "Bill sounding". It instantly reminded me of Keith Jarrett.

On "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" he has Philly and Sam Jones. I thought that was closer to Bud Powell and swinging more - at least differently - then his later records.

But the Riverside stuff with Scotty and Paul are groundbreaking and historical !
The album Green Dolphin Street is another album with Philly Joe. It wasn't released until years later, but Dave you probably know that. The solo on Green Dolphin St is all Bill's block chord style.

#2872356 - 08/11/17 10:39 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: 16251]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for that posting, made my day!!!!!

#2872362 - 08/11/17 11:07 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: Dave Ferris]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Many many thanks for posting this. A very interesting and insightful look into Bill's mind. He spoke very frankly even about the most private or unpleasant aspects of his life, like the death of his brother and his own problems with addictions.

That's interesting, because it made me think of Bud Powell... grin Except for the long pauses, which were definitely more Jarret-like.

Quote:

Oh man... their interacion was almost superhuman. The first time I heard "Solar", I couldn't keep time in any way. And, "what the *hell* are they doing with all those small fragments which never become real phrases?!" grin One has to rebuild his rhythmic sense from the ground up...

#2872383 - 08/11/17 12:13 PM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: marino]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: marino
Many many thanks for posting this. A very interesting and insightful look into Bill's mind. He spoke very frankly even about the most private or unpleasant aspects of his life, like the death of his brother and his own problems with addictions.

That's interesting, because it made me think of Bud Powell... grin Except for the long pauses, which were definitely more Jarret-like.

Quote:

Oh man... their interacion was almost superhuman. The first time I heard "Solar", I couldn't keep time in any way. And, "what the *hell* are they doing with all those small fragments which never become real phrases?!" grin One has to rebuild his rhythmic sense from the ground up...

Yeah Carlo , when I heard that clip, I immediately thought of Keith. Obviously this was well before he gained prominence...so possibly hearing Bill playing like this live, on even one occasion , could have been an influence on him, just maybe. Just speculating but it certainly reminds me of him...especially on that Dearhead Inn record with Motian.

Yes, I couldn't feel where one was when I first started listening to the Scott/Motian trio. I was pretty far along before I stated hearing what they were doing.

Peter , yeah that block chord solo on Green Dolphin is one my favorites.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2872394 - 08/11/17 01:08 PM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: Dave Ferris]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Thanks IMRT, really liked that interview.

Got a bit sad on the part about the drugs. Of course I knew this, but to hear this and to hear that he was injecting drugs in his hands really made me sad....

Edited by RudyS (08/11/17 01:22 PM)

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2872418 - 08/11/17 03:33 PM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: RudyS]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

The recordings that he did in the last full week of his life ( Keystone Corner SF ) are phenomenal!

I actually approached Stephen Fortner about the fact that someone should do an article of these recordings, and the story behind them.

It sort of amazed me that Stephen was not aware of any of what happened. To each his own I suppose, but as far as I am concerned the Keystone Corner recordings are a major part of jazz history.

It's sad about Bill's health/ drug issues. Some people really feel the need to medicate. The world is just too harsh for them.

I sense this when I listen to Bill's interviews. Keep in mind also that the hard drug thing was a major part of jazz culture in the 50's and 60's. So it was bound to get some people like Bill.... Hampton Hawes ( another big loss around this time) Art Pepper etc. etc.

#2872454 - 08/11/17 08:59 PM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: LX88]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LX88
The recordings that he did in the last full week of his life ( Keystone Corner SF ) are phenomenal!

I actually approached Stephen Fortner about the fact that someone should do an article of these recordings, and the story behind them.

It sort of amazed me that Stephen was not aware of any of what happened. To each his own I suppose, but as far as I am concerned the Keystone Corner recordings are a major part of jazz history.

It's sad about Bill's health/ drug issues. Some people really feel the need to medicate. The world is just too harsh for them.

I sense this when I listen to Bill's interviews. Keep in mind also that the hard drug thing was a major part of jazz culture in the 50's and 60's. So it was bound to get some people like Bill.... Hampton Hawes ( another big loss around this time) Art Pepper etc. etc.

Have you checked out the documentary at:
http://www.billevanstimeremembered.com/

It's a DVD (I haven't viewed it) but it looks like it might be worthwhile.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2872474 - 08/12/17 02:49 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: JazzPiano88]
MP Hall of Fame Member

"I do not agree that the layman's opinion is less of a valid judgment of music, than that of the professional musician; in fact I would often rely more on the judgement of a sensitive layman than that of a professional, since a professional, because of his constant involvement with the mechanics of music, must fight to preserve the naiveté that layman already possesses." Bill Evans

Edited by I-missRichardTee (08/12/17 10:09 AM)

#2872503 - 08/12/17 06:43 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Raymb1 Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA

#2872635 - 08/13/17 10:34 AM Re: Bill Evans - worth hearing. [Re: Raymb1]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I did not know about the above mentioned DVD. I would love to check it out.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner