Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2872133 - 08/10/17 02:44 PM QSC K10 vs 10.2 - used together
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I have a K10. I had issues with it a few weeks ago playing outdoors 105F weather and being both busy and a procrastinator have not checked it out - mostly because I was thinking my next gig wasn't for a few more weeks. Realized I need it Saturday and I'm out of town on vacation. If I get home and find it to be screwed, I'll just buy another one and fix the other later. I wouldn't mind having another one anyway to occasionally use as small PA with my subs. But based on reviews, sounds like if I bought one, I'd want the 10.2. Are they different enough that there would be any issues using an original K10 and a K10.2 as a PA?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

KC Island
#2872151 - 08/10/17 04:06 PM Re: QSC K10 vs 10.2 - used together [Re: J. Dan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

People have done far worse. ;-)

The K10.2 actually has a whole bunch of different voicings in it that you can select from a menu. They don't specifically list one as being particularly close to the K10, but I wonder, if you got in touch with them, if they might be able to tell you which is closest. I think it actually would have been a good idea to specifically build in one or more "K10 compatibility" modes for people who may want to use them in mixed installations, gradually upgrading their system from old to new, while keeping everything as compatible as possible.

Anyway, it's not a crime to mix speakers, though there are some issues that can come up. Check the thread at
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2850421/Re_Any_issues_using_different_

#2872167 - 08/10/17 05:07 PM Re: QSC K10 vs 10.2 - used together [Re: AnotherScott]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
If you get the 10.2, we'll finally get a user review from a respected highly acclaimed professional musician. Your contribution to the arts will be noteworthy.

I've seen positive posts on 8.2 ("50% better") but have yet to see any of our astute audiophile members present battle reports on 10.2. is nobody giving it a spin? Too big, heavy, ... just not that into it? Curious, given the measurable K series contingent, that we're not seeing any adopters of their new line. I'm excited to find out what the smart guys think of it compared to K10, DXR10, etc.

#2872177 - 08/10/17 06:11 PM Re: QSC K10 vs 10.2 - used together [Re: MotiDave]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Speaking solely from my experience with the K8 and K8.2. They're different. Like a lot different.

Would the average drunk patron detect anything meaningful if one side was a K and the other a K.2?

No, especially if you set levels to be equal between the two. The K10.2 would have to be dialed down a bit.

Would someone with an ear think that one channel had "issues"? Yes.

My experience with all the different voicings is "meh". Play'em flat, they sound great on poles. Like seriously impressive for the money. The "live" setting amps the lows and highs which is interesting, but sonically tiresome.

As a temporary situation, sure. But not a long term answer.

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Stage 3 Compact, other stuff
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2872588 - 08/13/17 12:27 AM Re: QSC K10 vs 10.2 - used together [Re: cphollis]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Well I have to apologize to those who were hoping for a side by side comparison. I think y K10 issue was the 105 degree heat. I tested it at home and it seemed fine. Tonight I went ahead and gigged with it (indoor) and everything was fine. So I won't be buying any new speakers. Although it's weird that it seems like I'm having to drive it with a it hotter of a signal than before - not a lot. I think maybe just the bass player was louder. Bass is weird in that I don't perceive the stage volume as being louder but I have to turn up to cut through the mud.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2872649 - 08/13/17 11:34 AM Re: QSC K10 vs 10.2 - used together [Re: J. Dan]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I read a review on another place of a guy who was running K12, got a 10.2, and prefers the 10.2 over his K12. One data point ... i can't quite graph it yet. Well I could, but it wold be a graph with one data point.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner