Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

Took a Mojo61 over to brother Derek on Saturday.

[video:youtube]

Was he running it through those Marshalls?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...

Had a Mojo 61 for a week now.

Absolutely love the sound. Felt more authentic than my Nord E4 for Hammond right out of the box. Basic tone and chorus subjectively better. As a single manual clone, which is how I will use it over a CP4, the two presets per manual feels more like 4 presets, because I can so easily change the manual between upper and lower.

I'm having slight concern about the WIFI for editing. With both my IPhone and IPad, I'm getting more than occasional loss of WIFI or loss of connection with the server (i.e. the Mojo 61) standing right next to the Mojo 61 indoors with powerful competing WIFI signals. I wonder if part of the problem is that my home router also uses 192.168.1.1 (which apparently lots of devices use). I'll try editing the Mojo at an outdoor gig Tuesday night.

Have others experienced this? Not a huge deal, as I can make edits. It just seems a little finicky.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Use of 192.168.1.1 is fine. The Mojo network is completely separate from your home network, and the two 192.x.x.x networks can't "see" each other. The more likely issue is that you're on the same wifi channel. I don't know if the Mojo lets you set this. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Out of curiosity, who did you buy your mojo from and when did you place your order? Nobody seems to have any in stock.

You could also try to "forget" your normal wifi. Otherwise your iPhone or iPad will try to connect to your home wifi as first priority everytime the unit goes to sleep and is waken up again.

The DMC Gemini got a nice upgrade feature where you can connect it on your running network, it is nice to have when you also have to control a mixer on rehearsal or stage, or want to browse the internet at home. Let's hope it are possible to get into the Mojo 61 as well.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I'm having slight concern about the WIFI for editing. With both my IPhone and IPad, I'm getting more than occasional loss of WIFI or loss of connection with the server (i.e. the Mojo 61) standing right next to the Mojo 61 indoors with powerful competing WIFI signals. I wonder if part of the problem is that my home router also uses 192.168.1.1 (which apparently lots of devices use). I'll try editing the Mojo at an outdoor gig Tuesday night.

Have others experienced this? Not a huge deal, as I can make edits. It just seems a little finicky.

I believe I saw this addressed in an email from Crumar to another end user:

The issue is exactly what you describe, but you are not losing the wifi - the browser appears to disconnect from the mojo61 server, but it's not necessary to select the wifi again and again... when you have this message, simply try to select a slider or click on page refresh, it will reconnect immediately.

This problem is much more apparent on IOS because IOS sometimes refuses to reconnect to server. It's not a problem of the Mojo itself but is caused by latest update done by Apple. It's something like an "idle"... the browser disconnects because seems like inactivity even if you are working on it. The general trend with devices and browser now is to inhibit connection to a server if this server does not have an internet connection and this is why you are facing this problem, Apple was the first to do this... months ago it was impossible for example to connect to the webapp of your router if it not connected to internet... then they solved it.

We will address this in our next rev. In the meantime try to refresh, is not necessary to reconnect to wifi... if you always need to do this, you need to search in IOS for a possibility to do an autoconnection (if available).

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I bought from Perfect Circuit about 10 days ago. Authorized Crumar dealer. Make sure you sign up for their email news, etc. Gets you immediate 10% off.

I could find it nowhere else. Italian holiday period.

Barry

I forgot to mention one additional preference of Mojo 61 over Nord NE4D: the action. Keyboard feels faster, more like my A100. (I mention this to confirm what others have said about the Mojo 61 action being different/better than orig Mojo dual manual and the Legend keyboard actions).

Barry

I am pretty interested in this board. If I were to get it, it would be replacing my Roland VR700. with that in mind, some questions/thoughts.

Reasons I'd get it, partly based on supposition:

- sound

- smaller, lighter

Things I might miss:

- strings and horn patches. I don't use them very much but I'd have to cover these with my Kurzweil.

Now: any thoughts on the piano sound and how it might compare? I don't care for the piano in the VR700, but it is my backup sound in case my Kurzweil acts up again. I would assume this could also be a decent backup sound but always good to ask!

Midi/drawbars: The VR700 doesn't send cc messages via drawbars...@$%#...so does this?

Action: apologies I may have asked this before. I LOVE the VR700 action, and dislike the Nord Electro's. How's this one compared to either of these, if you have tried them all?

Obscure question: Has anyone used this with an ipad/iphone via usb midi? Just curious as to whether this would work as-is. my Kurzweil was seen by my iphone right away, had an issue with the ipad (both had the same ios version...ugh). Anyway, having an ipad in the rig would give me some more sound options that I might give up with this more specialized board.

http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

They've got a $119 box that will take the VR-700's sysex and convert to CC for you. You might already know that, just reminding.

String, brass, reeds and synths is stuff I wish the Mojo 61 had (although they are doing a bang up job on EPs). Also wish it had pitch and mod wheels and 76 keys that played like the VR-700's action. The Mojo61 apparently has a Fatar TP-8O action that they've lightened up the springs on like the Uhl (I can't think of any other mod to a simple action like this that would make it more "buttery" or "feathery").

Would be nice to see Mojo61 owners chime in on your other questions.

I'm watching the Dexibell Combo J7 very closely because in theory it checks some great boxes and the automated faders is interesting:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2841193/Dexibell_Combo_J7#Post2841193

Don't know what to expect on this first effort from Dexibell. But would love to see Crumar, Roland, Hammond, or someone pursue an organ-centric combo instrument as opposed to the many piano-centric ones we have today.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

They've got a $119 box that will take the VR-700's sysex and convert to CC for you. You might already know that, just reminding.

I know you have the VR700, have you done this yourself? I looked into this on one of the Rolands, I don't remember which (maybe VR09?) and it seemed complicated.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

FYI: The Mojo mods are different than the UHL mods. The UHL mods are WAY WAY too light. You can play really fast but you can't play with any real control like you can on a real Hammond. The Mojo mods offer a much more realistic experience.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

String, brass, reeds and synths is stuff I wish the Mojo 61 had (although they are doing a bang up job on EPs). Also wish it had pitch and mod wheels and 76 keys that played like the VR-700's action. The Mojo61 apparently has a Fatar TP-8O action that they've lightened up the springs on like the Uhl (I can't think of any other mod to a simple action like this that would make it more "buttery" or "feathery").

I'm watching the Dexibell Combo J7 very closely because in theory it checks some great boxes and the automated faders is interesting:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2841193/Dexibell_Combo_J7#Post2841193

Don't know what to expect on this first effort from Dexibell. But would love to see Crumar, Roland, Hammond, or someone pursue an organ-centric combo instrument as opposed to the many piano-centric ones we have today.

Thanks, good info. I didn't know that about the midisolutions box.

Yikes, pitch and especially mod wheels would be missed if I used the Mojo to control synths. Well, certainly there's always a tradeoff involved LOL--even if that tradeoff is having all the options there are, but now you have to cart them around and set them up!

I know in going to something like the Mojo I'd definitely be going all-in on something else doing those extra sounds...but I'm not all that thrilled with the VR700 for them anyway. It's definitely trying to be a jack of all trades, but in some areas (synth notably) it's really not quite into the "useful" status for me anyway.

The whole thing might be moot anyway as I've had no luck selling the VR700 locally. It really is a good keyboard and I should probably appreciate it more than I do.

I know you have the VR700, have you done this yourself? I looked into this on one of the Rolands, I don't remember which (maybe VR09?) and it seemed complicated.

I haven't. I picked up this notion from Mighty Ferguson who apparently owns two VR-700s and the MIDI solutions converter box. You can try messaging him. I'll do the same when the time comes - but haven't a need at the moment.

Thanks, good info. I didn't know that about the midisolutions box.

Yikes, pitch and especially mod wheels would be missed if I used the Mojo to control synths. Well, certainly there's always a tradeoff involved LOL--even if that tradeoff is having all the options there are, but now you have to cart them around and set them up!

I know in going to something like the Mojo I'd definitely be going all-in on something else doing those extra sounds...but I'm not all that thrilled with the VR700 for them anyway. It's definitely trying to be a jack of all trades, but in some areas (synth notably) it's really not quite into the "useful" status for me anyway.

The whole thing might be moot anyway as I've had no luck selling the VR700 locally. It really is a good keyboard and I should probably appreciate it more than I do.

My personal selection of the VR-700 boiled down to it's do-it-all-ness and it's action. The VR-09 hasn't the action (well, really none of the clone wheels do at the moment to my satisfaction) and requires an iPad app to edit. The SK1 73 breaks the bank, hasn't pitch and mod wheels and the synth samples are not very good (YMMV). I don't care for the tight springyness of the Fatar action in the Nord Electro which also lacks pitch and mod wheels and is expensive as well with no synth engine and only a very simple sample player (although quite capable in AP/EP (like the Mojo61) but that isn't what I personally need or want from an organ/synth action keyboard). Studio Logic's Numa Organ 2 is the right price with the right number of keys, has pitch and mod wheels and the preset keys function as playable in MIDI controller mode. But it has poo for sounds other than organs and would require MIDI to something else to make up for it. So, 7 years later - still looking for a combo organ that does what Roland had in mind with the VR-XXX. I like the VR-700 even more when I also carry my S90ES as a MIDI cable lets me do some very cool things between the two (I have the DX and AN cards). But a CP4 or MP7, PX-5S or 560 make good stage pianos with synth samples (or engine in the Casio) to Midi the VR-700 to.

Another idea that Scott and I bantered on a few weeks back is a Roland FA-07 with a drawbar controller like the Ocean Beach DB-1 (which are unfortunately discontinued). A single manual DMC-121 or a 73/76 key Mojo61 with the full Gemini dual DSP hardware and pitch/mod wheels would be more useful (to me). And I suspect others too. And If they come in under an Electro or SK. Boom! Crumar for the win.

I haven't. I picked up this notion from Mighty Ferguson who apparently owns two VR-700s and the MIDI solutions converter box. You can try messaging him. I'll do the same when the time comes - but haven't a need at the moment.

Happy to help if I can. I'm actually doing this with a VR-700 and a Kronos. I do have two VR-700s, but one stayed at the band rehearsal space and the other stayed home, so I only had to carry the Kronos back and forth. That band ended, so I'll probably sell one of the VR-700s.

Anybody has a clue about that?

I haven't seen anything to indicate what this is, but if it's a new version of the dual manual Mojo with 2 DSP engines, I'll likely get one. If it's got an effects loop like the Viscount Legend, I'll really likely get one.

Edit - I would be interested in a 2 DSP version of the Mojo 61 with the lower manual add on as well.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Hey MF, I think we were looking for clarity on how to setup the MIDI Solutions box to convert VR sysex messages to drawbar CC messages your kurz understands. It's a one time setup I'm sure, but how involved is the programming?

Hey MF, I think we were looking for clarity on how to setup the MIDI Solutions box to convert VR sysex messages to drawbar CC messages your kurz understands. It's a one time setup I'm sure, but how involved is the programming?

The Kronos CX-3 engine also responds to Sysex (just different Sysex), so I'm converting Sysex to Sysex. But it should actually be simpler to convert to CC. I can pass along my Event Processor Plus config as a starting point.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I have to say, I just LOVE the Rhodes, Wurly and Clav sounds on the Mojo 61. Dial in a bit of overdrive, add effects to taste. I really feel connected playing Rhodes on this thing, even though it's a light action. I'm enjoying these sounds more on the Mojo 61 than on my Nord Stage. It's a huge bonus to have these sounds available.

FYI: The Mojo mods are different than the UHL mods. The UHL mods are WAY WAY too light. You can play really fast but you can't play with any real control like you can on a real Hammond. The Mojo mods offer a much more realistic experience.

Mitch, when you got the Uhl X3-2 I think it was one of the first models that got the TP80 with the lighter springs (ca. 59gr). They were indeed too light. I had the same.

It was changed later cause some others thougt too that they were too light and I got the acutal springs installed (ca. 65gr). Better feeling now.

I have no comparison with the Crumar TP80 but they are not only changing the springs (also triggerpoint, and key travel, but I am not that sure...)

So my guess is that they are feeling different that the Uhl-TP80s....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I have to say, I just LOVE the Rhodes, Wurly and Clav sounds on the Mojo 61. Dial in a bit of overdrive, add effects to taste. I really feel connected playing Rhodes on this thing, even though it's a light action. I'm enjoying these sounds more on the Mojo 61 than on my Nord Stage. It's a huge bonus to have these sounds available.

Hi , did you make any recordings you could upload ? From what I heard on YouTube , they sound far better than my electro 2 and I am not really sure I like the bigger samples for the newer nord models much better.

Also does anybody have a recording of the mojo organ with neo vent ? Thanks in advance

And that's why I called it a Nord killer, much better action, better Organ and C/V3 , better Rhodes, better Wurly... And I owned all of the real things back in the day.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

If only GSI/Crumar didn't have the wall wart power supplies! (pet peeve) Why?

Yes, I like IEC AC plug directly in the instrument chassis too but, as mech/electronic/electric designer, I must tell you that advantages of external power supplies are, in my opinion, very high!

1)Is very hard to find a good power supply today: modern supplies (switching) can easily stop working, and having it external is a big plus. We use Meanwell in most cases, the best in the market.

2)Even if you have a IEC AC plug directly in your instrument, you still have a switching power supply internally, probably like this one:

http://poweradapter.co/images/categories/powersupply_pcb.jpg

ù

So you have the same, in a different shape but internal, hopefully it never breaks....

3) ErP regulation in EU zone (probably soon in USA too) tends to eliminate internal type PSU: maybe other manufacturers don't pay so much attention to this.

http://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/sustainability/ecodesign_it

Some others pay a lot of attention, for example Hammond in their XK5 and the autopower off function.

I know that customers usually do not care about these things, but maybe is good to know. If a new instrument is released in 2017/2018 with AC power cord plug directly in the chassis and without the "auto-power-off" feature, I'm not sure it is completely compliant with ErP.

cheers

www.crumar.it

info@crumar.it