Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2870559 - 08/03/17 05:04 AM Goldy has passed away.
CEB Offline
10k Club

John died of a heart attack a couple of days ago on August 1st. Sonja and the family have just made a public announcement today. I don't know what to say. I thought the forum might want to know.

Edited by CEB (08/03/17 05:05 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

KC Island
#2870562 - 08/03/17 05:09 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: CEB]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Woke up to that news on Facebook. This sucks.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2870564 - 08/03/17 05:18 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: WesG]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's my favourite video of Goldy, talking to the camera in his phone.

"Who made this chord famous? <E#9 888888888 tremolo> I DID!"

He was a really cool dude, and just a musician trying to make a living. Playing really great music.

#2870579 - 08/03/17 06:49 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: WesG]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
copied from his Face Book page

"Our hearts weep as we announce the passing of Goldy McJohn, Founding Father of Steppenwolf. Goldy suffered a sudden and fatal heart attack the morning of August 1st, 2017. The family thanks all of those who have protected their privacy leading up to this announcement while they dealt with this unexpected loss"

RIP

#2870580 - 08/03/17 06:50 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: WesG]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Yes just saw this on Facebook. RIP

noblevibes.com

#2870586 - 08/03/17 06:59 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Outkaster]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
That guy was a great rock keyboardist and a major influence as a kid...his organ parts always hit home...not a lot of solos, just great comping and concept!

It was actually the 1st concert I ever went to when I was 15 in the NY State Pavilion in the old World's Fair Grounds in NYC in 1968!

I particularly liked this album, the whole band really cookin..
RIP Goldy, you were great and most important - An Original! Goldy always kept an original concept to his playing and his parts and they were always musical!

Steppenwolf Live

Edited by Legatoboy (08/03/17 08:14 AM)

#2870607 - 08/03/17 08:14 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Legatoboy]
retrokeys Offline
Platinum Member

Well, hell. A major influence for my teenage band days. He was also a contributor over on the XK5 users facebook group more recently. He'll be missed. RIP and thanks for the music.

Edited by retrokeys (08/03/17 08:23 AM)

#2870629 - 08/03/17 09:29 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: retrokeys]
tarkus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MIAMI, Fl
Steppenwolf live was one of my favorites. Ya think about the Hammond players from the second-half of the 60's it was sound and the style that made keyboards cool.

Steppenwolf, another foundation of Rock and Roll, snubbed by Jan Wenner's Hall.

#2870634 - 08/03/17 09:38 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: retrokeys]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

RIP Goldie. I learned a lot from his percussive style.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2870652 - 08/03/17 10:42 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: mate stubb]
CEB Offline
10k Club

The best damn Rock Keyboardist of all-time period. You could stick him with just a schoenhut toy piano and he would make it groove. It was never the gear but attitude and feel. He had more soul in his pinky than guys like Emo and Wakeman had in their whole body. He had classical chops also but he made his bones rockin' it. Everyone knows the chords and knows the notes but no one can really replicate his tones. The first Steppenwolf album was especially off the hook. That rig had been trashed. He created history in spite of the gear.

#2870659 - 08/03/17 11:22 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: CEB]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Goldy had a signature sound and style. His hair also made an impression back then. RIP.

#2870666 - 08/03/17 12:12 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: CEB]
waygetter Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA
Originally Posted By: CEB
The best damn Rock Keyboardist of all-time period. You could stick him with just a schoenhut toy piano and he would make it groove. It was never the gear but attitude and feel. He had more soul in his pinky than guys like Emo and Wakeman had in their whole body. He had classical chops also but he made his bones rockin' it. Everyone knows the chords and knows the notes but no one can really replicate his tones. The first Steppenwolf album was especially off the hook. That rig had been trashed. He created history in spite of the gear.

Great eulogy

#2870674 - 08/03/17 12:42 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: tarkus]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: tarkus
...Ya think about the Hammond players from the second-half of the 60's it was sound and the style that made keyboards cool.

+1

When I first attempted BTBW, I had no clue what was going on with that sound. I suggest we all disable the upper rotor of our Leslies for a few moments, in his honor. RIP.

#2870745 - 08/03/17 09:24 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Moonglow]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
Saw Goldy in 1969 when Rock Me was Steppenwolf's current hit. Goldy was using Jimmy Greenspoon's B3 for this show. Steppenwolf with Three Dog Night opening was the first major concert I ever attended. Got to see two of the best rock organists of the time now both sadly gone. RIP.

Don't forget that in addition to the broken Leslie that was a Lowrey home organ he played through it.

Edited by Shamanzarek (08/03/17 09:57 PM)

#2870746 - 08/03/17 09:42 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: CEB]
Pa Gherkin Offline
Gold Member

Sorry to hear this. I learned so much watching and listening to Goldy. He and drummer Jerry Edmonton defined the sound of Steppenwolf for me. R.I.P. Goldy.

#2870769 - 08/04/17 05:05 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Pa Gherkin]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
The guitarist on the Live album, their 2nd, not the original was a favorite of mine and my friends beside Goldy and the very good drumming from JE.

That guy really would make that guitar work, just thought I'd mention him also! Loved the he played..

They were a very solid band.

Edited by Legatoboy (08/04/17 05:06 AM)

#2870775 - 08/04/17 06:54 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Legatoboy]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
As a non-organ player that likes organ, but often wonders how to play a part "like that"...the Steppenwolf parts I've attempted were among the most intimidating. I'm like...how...what?!...I'd hate to hear recordings of my feeble attempts at them....

#2870824 - 08/04/17 10:35 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Stokely]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Goldy used to leave the caps lock key on. This is a cut and paste.
I'm not changing anything.

This a fun story about the time leading up to the first album.
Quote:
NOT QUITE MARK.......THAT WAS A LOWERY HOME MODEL AND A SMALL LESLIE .IT HAD BEEN BROKEN BY US {THE SPARROW} DUE TO MANAGER TELLING US WERE GETTIN NEW GEAR.SO MARS PUSHED IT OFF A 10foot STAGE . WELL , GUESS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT ?YOU GOT IT NO NEW KEYS FOR GOLDY .REBUILT BUT THE SLOW AND FAST MOTOR WAS LIKE A WASHING MACHINE .IF I WANTED IT TO GO FAST ,Id HAVE TO START IT UP 4 bars before ..if you listen with headphones YOU WILL HEAR WHAT Im TALKING ABOUT .Ive had PEOPLE ASK ME FOR YEARS .....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT KEYBOARD and HOWS HE GETTING IT TO DO THAT...I SIMPLY LEARNED TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM.

Edited by CEB (08/04/17 11:53 AM)

#2870845 - 08/04/17 11:34 AM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: CEB]
Bill H. Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
I used to approximate the sound with my first real rig: an L-101 that would overdrive a 21H Leslie like crazy. Fun times... on a rig practically no one would touch today.

I met Goldie about 10 years later when he was hanging out with musicians I knew in the West Seattle/Burien/White Center area. Cool guy... very charismatic and self confident, and had no kind words for John Kay.

#2870934 - 08/04/17 03:01 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Bill H.]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
Larry Byrom was the guitarist on Steppenwolf Live. He replaced Michael Monarch who played on the first three Steppenwolf albums. Prior to joining Steppenwolf Byrom had played with bassist Nick St. Nicholas in a band called T.I.M.E. (Trust in Men Everywhere) that put out one very obscure album on Liberty Records in 1968. St. Nicholas had played with the members of Steppenwolf in previous incarnations of the band and was asked to rejoin after bassist/Magic Carpet Ride co-writer Rushton Moreve left following The Second album. Byrom joined Steppenwolf later in 1969 in time for the Monster album. Byrom went on to become a successful Nashville session musician.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-I-M-E-LP-Trust-In-Men-Everywhere-Liberty-LST-7558-Near-Mint-/372008348586?hash=item569d6cebaa:g:zUIAAOSwHQ9WYfdu

#2870984 - 08/04/17 07:21 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: Shamanzarek]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Huge loss of another major influence for me. Goldie, Jon, Jimmy, Emo, Mac, Rick ... all I have left is Al and Mark.

Edited by HammondDave (08/04/17 11:45 PM)

#2870992 - 08/04/17 08:17 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. [Re: HammondDave]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I got no one left from the Rock World except Roger Boyd ( who is a local guy who I know) and Billy Payne. All the rest are gone. Larry Knetchel, Fess, Billy Powell. Many of my Country cats are still around. John Jarvis is my main secret sensei.

But Goldy was my man. If you approached him and was polite and sincere he would teach you. Some stuff I naturally knew and had internalized.... I think... But I don't know for sure. I just do stuff. Goldy told me how and why organs work the way they do. It's not just how far you mashed the gas. It was the voicing, which tones, how many notes you sent to the cabinet.... Plus knowing what to do to the gas pedal.

Edited by CEB (08/04/17 08:24 PM)

#2872566 - 08/12/17 03:11 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. (Long post) [Re: CEB]
musicbysterling Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Around 1996, when I was working in a music store in Seattle, Goldy came in and was hanging around the keyboard department. He introduced himself and we got to chatting about whatever musicians talk about.He asked me some questions about some of the latest keyboards and how he didn't ever want to play a Hammond live. His initial casual and relaxed mannerisms very quickly started to spiral upwards. Not only did his speaking volume increase, he now changed to subject matter of what we were conversing about he literally began to intersperse nonsensical phrases with his ever increasing intensity. Goldy then started to rant about how Mark Vail wanted to interview him for his upcoming book, Beauty and the B. Goldy said he didn't have the time to talk about Hammond organs and even suggested that I call Mark, offering to give me Mark's telephone number, while saying that I know just much as he did about Hammonds (not). I was a bit taken aback by this statement and didn't have a clue as to how to respond to him. All the while Goldy began to literally lose his composure, beginning to talk about how he got screwed by John Kay and other things that plagued his following career. After a while, I found an excuse to leave him and take care of some customers that walked in. Goldy sort of hung around a bit, not playing any of the keyboards that were on display. Finally, he left without saying another word.

About a year or so later, my band was playing in Pioneer Square, which is a turn of the century red brick cobblestone area in downtown Seattle that at that time had about 8-10 live music venues.Back then, you would go to any venue, pay the cover charge and get a stamp that allowed you access to all the other rooms without paying any more covers.
Since most or all of the venues started and finished at the same time, we would take our 30 minute breaks and walk around to the other places and hang out with the other musicians taking their breaks as well. I ran into Goldy outside of one rooms and we started to chat. And just like the other conversation with him, he started telling me who he was playing with and that he was playing an Ensoniq keyboard of some sort. Goldy told me the first set went pretty well and when he was leaving the venue to take his break, he got his hand whacked on the entrance door by a customer who was walking in. He showed he his hand which looked a little puffy and offered my condolences. Goldy started to rant more, talking about how he couldn't play the rest of the gig and asked me if I could sit in for him. Fortunately for me, I told him that I was playing right down the street and couldn't fill in for him. Goldy was now beginning to spiral out of control, telling me that he wouldn't play the rest of the night and would just come and check out my gig and maybe even sit in. I started to freak out, envisioning him causing a scene and embarrassing me in front of my band mates. All during the next set, I was scanning the door, praying he wouldn't show up. As you can imagine, my attention to performing suffered with me playing a lot of clams and dropping out on vocal harmonies. In the end, he never did come in and I never did find out what happened with his gig. I never saw him again. RIP Goldy.......

#2872652 - 08/13/17 12:00 PM Re: Goldy has passed away. (Long post) [Re: musicbysterling]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I played BTBW in Goldy's honour last night. LOUD.

The crowd loved it. Time to put it back in the regular rotation.

I voiced the E7#9 as B D E G on the upper manual and E G# on the lower. 888876432 or so up top, 008888 below. It sounded great.

Edited by WesG (08/13/17 12:03 PM)

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner