Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2869082 - 07/25/17 07:33 AM Dealing with braggarts and blowhards
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Just curious, since you guys deal with so many "hungry shark" guitarists looking for self-promotion, which of course, they HAVE to do if playing is their only source of income. But some of them are braggarts and blowhards, I've noticed.
I learned a cool new expression from my new niece Gina. I was just kidding around and said (in Spanish): “It’s simply INCONCEIVABLE that people wouldn’t know who I am…” and she said, “Alábate, pollo, que mañana te asan.” Translated loosely: “Go ahead and brag, chicken, because tomorrow they’re going to ROAST you.” Said to braggarts and blowhards in general. Might make for a good song lyric in English, if you could find a way to make it rhyme!

So how do you guys deal with the "big fish in a small pond" type of guitarist? Just let them talk, as in "talk is cheap"?? Or do you find a way to put them off, nicely if possible?

#2870438 - 08/02/17 10:26 AM Re: Dealing with braggarts and blowhards [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
Just curious, since you guys deal with so many "hungry shark" guitarists looking for self-promotion, which of course, they HAVE to do if playing is their only source of income. But some of them are braggarts and blowhards, I've noticed.

I learned a cool new expression from my new niece Gina. I was just kidding around and said (in Spanish): “It’s simply INCONCEIVABLE that people wouldn’t know who I am…” and she said, “Alábate, pollo, que mañana te asan.” Translated loosely: “Go ahead and brag, chicken, because tomorrow they’re going to ROAST you.” Said to braggarts and blowhards in general. Might make for a good song lyric in English, if you could find a way to make it rhyme!

I like that! My compliments to your niece. cool

Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
So how do you guys deal with the "big fish in a small pond" type of guitarist? Just let them talk, as in "talk is cheap"?? Or do you find a way to put them off, nicely if possible?

I usually just ignore braggarts and blowhards, as much as I can; if they're going to one way or another interfere with my own endeavors, I suffer no fools and couldn't care less whether or not I meet their supposed standards or can or can't beat them in some kind of stupid p!$$!ng match.

I have been known on rare occasions, when called for, to effectively shut someone down on stage (or, the concrete floor of a rural community center, etc., as it were) if they were overplaying and hogging solo-time, by turning up my tube-amp and staking my 'territorial claim' before turning things back over to the band as intended. But only very rarely; I strive to NOT be like the egotistical, overly loud and pushy electric-guitarist stereotype.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _