Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Crapulator? (i.e. Noise Toy)

No speakers? Whats the fun in that. LOL

Hehhehh... ! :D In case you're using headphones or otherwise playing at volume-levels too low to generate any acoustic-feedback.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I could get very close to that tone with my old Boss Feedbacker pedal, and like Caevan says, at any volume level, or even through headphones. Admittedly, a far more impressive effect driving a live Amp.

Much as I love my E-bow, that Fernandes Sustainer is the thing! IIRC, you can still buy the Sustainer system for $200-300(?), but then you have to have it installed, so you're either committing one Guitar to that sound, or buying a spare, plus the expense of the installation: I've seen used Montereys for $400-500, ready to go.

Right now, the Dream Reaper and the Geiger Counter are the main contenders; if money were no object, I'd get both.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Much as I love my E-bow, that Fernandes Sustainer is the thing! IIRC, you can still buy the Sustainer system for $200-300(?), but then you have to have it installed, so you're either committing one Guitar to that sound, or buying a spare, plus the expense of the installation: I've seen used Montereys for $400-500, ready to go.

Another really nice thing about the Sustainiac Model C is that you can use any pickups on the given instrument, whereas the Fernandez Sustainer- and the similar Sustainiac Sustainer- replaces the neck-pickup, so you can't use the neck-pickup by itself or in combination with other pickups when you're using the sustainer.

Right now, the Dream Reaper and the Geiger Counter are the main contenders; if money were no object, I'd get both.

A couple of potential crapulating noise-makers that I think I'd really like are the Red Panda Particle and the Alexander Radical Delay, for some of their somewhat ring-mod like sounds... .. . .. . . . .

Another really nice thing about the Sustainiac Model C is that you can use any pickups on the given instrument, whereas the Fernandez Sustainer- and the similar Sustainiac Sustainer- replaces the neck-pickup, so you can't use the neck-pickup by itself or in combination with other pickups when you're using the sustainer.

The Sustainer is a weird design, so you can still use the neck pickup without engaging the Sustainer; same thing with the Jackson Sustainac system. I would never want a Guitar with no neck pickup!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

The Sustainer is a weird design, so you can still use the neck pickup without engaging the Sustainer; same thing with the Jackson Sustainac system. I would never want a Guitar with no neck pickup!

With the Model C 'acoustic feedback' unit, you can use any pickups on the given instrument WHILE using the Sustainiac; it's independent of any particular pickup. And it sounds better, too! :cool:

Oh, and you can easily switch it from one instrument to another, as well. :cool:

Looking in on Saturday morning, and that Guitar is already sold. Not surprising, that was a truly beautiful Guitar, in great shape. Ah, well . . .

In the meantime, I traded out some gear yesterday and came home with a near-pristine Subdecay Prometheus, and an equally clean Vox Delaylab. I've been getting back into stacked Delays lately, and the Delaylab is a very nice addition. The Prometheus is pretty wild, more like a Synth Filter than your typical Envelope Filter pedal. Haven't had a really good Filter effect for a while, and this is even a little beyond what I expected. Here's a decent video of it.

[video:youtube]

Looking in on Saturday morning, and that Guitar is already sold. Not surprising, that was a truly beautiful Guitar, in great shape. Ah, well . . .

In the meantime, I traded out some gear yesterday and came home with a near-pristine Subdecay Prometheus, and an equally clean Vox Delaylab. I've been getting back into stacked Delays lately, and the Delaylab is a very nice addition. The Prometheus is pretty wild, more like a Synth Filter than your typical Envelope Filter pedal. Haven't had a really good Filter effect for a while, and this is even a little beyond what I expected. Here's a decent video of it.

VERY nice! I like the sound that Prometheus very much- it reminds me that I really want to get a somewhat similar Pigtronix EP-2 Envelope Phaser- and that Vox Delaylab looks and sounbds great, too! :cool:

Check out some of the creative uses of Subdecay's similar Prometheus DLX along with other pedals here in this video:

________ [video:youtube]

________

No question, the DLX is one impressive pedal! However, the DLX is running around $325 everywhere, and I got the original model for $90 in trade value.

Filter sweeps are pretty wide, as I said, more like a Synth Filter. Depending on which Filter type you're using, you can dial yourself out of the audio range pretty quickly. In some of the videos showing the original, you'll notice that the users very seldom dial the Freq knob to either extreme, because they get cut off.

The Step/Rate combination is one of the coolest features possible, almost as weird as the Z.Vexx Seek Wah.

The Delaylab can be viewed either as a souped-up DL4, or a stripped-down Eventide Time Factor. I lean towards the latter viewpoint, mostly because there's no MIDI nor USB connectivity; if you want to trade sounds with anyone, you'll need to work up an old-fashioned Patch Data Sheet. Still, don't know why this one escaped my attention when it first came out?

No question, the DLX is one impressive pedal!

As is your Prometheus! :cool: I only posted that video as an example of cool creative applications for either Prometheus model.

• 5 months later...
[font:Comic Sans MS]Had to bring this beat back![/font]

Niiiiiice... ! Versatile, freqy tweaky tweazy twingey sounds...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Noise pedals? How about an EH Super Ego with Moog MuRF and Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine in the fx loop, topped off with a bit of delay and/or reverb. The pedals practically play themselves.

:crazy::D:thu:

I'll add the Lastgasp Art Laboratories Octavella to this list of suggested crapulator noize fuzztortion devices. I think that you would really like what its its grinding, skreaking, oscillating, metallic octave-fuzz could bring you, Winston, whether heard through a loud clean amp, or fed to other overdrive or distortion pedals, or an overdriven/distorted tube-amp. I speak from time spent with one- I bought one not too long ago. By itself, it can sound like the smell of burning steel. I'm more likely to deploy mine through a distortion-pedal or an overdriven/distorted tube-amp, to add a grinding, toothsome quality inside the latter pedal's or amp's distortion.

____________ [video:youtube]

Noise pedals? How about an EH Super Ego with Moog MuRF and Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine in the fx loop, topped off with a bit of delay and/or reverb. The pedals practically play themselves.

:crazy::D:thu:

I'll add the Lastgasp Art Laboratories Octavella to this list of suggested crapulator noize fuzztortion devices. I think that you would really like what its its grinding, skreaking, oscillating, metallic octave-fuzz could bring you, Winston, whether heard through a loud clean amp, or fed to other overdrive or distortion pedals, or an overdriven/distorted tube-amp. I speak from time spent with one- I bought one not too long ago. By itself, it can sound like the smell of burning steel. I'm more likely to deploy mine through a distortion-pedal or an overdriven/distorted tube-amp, to add a grinding, toothsome quality inside the latter pedal's or amp's distortion.

____________ [video:youtube]

Alright, Caevan, you've convinced me! Thing is, when I went to the website, I couldn't find a price?

Alright, Caevan, you've convinced me! Thing is, when I went to the website, I couldn't find a price?

They turn up used here in the US in the $140-$150 price-range, more or less. I got mine- used, on Reverb- for $140 including shipping. (They're originally made in Australia, IIRC.)

lightbulb.gif Wanna borrow it, Winston? PM me here or on Facebook about address info. I think that I should send it to you for a spell.

You'll hafta get your own Octron, though. :D And I really think that you should. :rawk::cool:

• 2 years later...

When I first started out I had a Guyatone Bazz Box. Nasty thin fuzz tone.

My most evil and weird guitar effect was an accident - I had a Radio Shack Cartridge Preamplifier, intended for turntables. I couldn't find a photo of one.

Pedal sized rounded black steel box. 2 RCA inputs on one long side and 2 RCA outputs on the other. It had an AC power cord attached and ran off wall power.

Not intended for guitar. I was probably 15 or 16, I don't remember why I got it but it was just $3-4. Then, I had an idea and got a a couple of male RCA to female 1/4" adapters. I used one to plug into the left channel with my guitar.

Then I used an RCA to RCA cord to plug the output of that channel into the input of the right channel. The other adapter was used to connect the output to my guitar amp.

I fired it up and it went into self oscillation, creating a G note over the considerable noise. When I played my guitar it would interrupt the G note (but not the noise) and split the guitar note (it couldn't handle more than one note without going insane) into two notes. One note would ascend and one would descend, whether you played up the neck or down. The notes made no sense in context of the note being played and was constantly interrupted by the G note.

I think I might have made a ring modulator, it was certainly just as useless as one but much worse in all other ways.

Of course, my parents hated it. I was quite proud of it and set forth to create a new kind of "music."

One day, it mysteriously vanished - never to be seen again. Can't say as I blame them, it must have driven them nuts.

• Love 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thank you for resurrecting this thread! I meant to post a couple of oddballs back then...and forgot.

Soooooo...some of you will be familiar with these pedals, but for those who aren"t? Enjoy...if you can! ð

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/