Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2862120 - 06/21/17 06:34 PM Re: Geddy Lee Made in USA Edition [Re: SteveC]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Don't do it! Rounds on a Fender bass really narrow its range of applicability! Also limits the sweet spot to just one or two settings vs. all settings sounding musical. True of both P and J!

My Geddy Lee is about the opposite of what is needed for jazz. Even the 60's jazz bass w/ flats works on far fewer tunes than a P-Bass with flats. But there's a lot of stuff where it works better than a P.

BP Island
#2869567 - 07/28/17 12:39 AM Re: Geddy Lee Made in USA Edition [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I am finding this to be a much more versatile bass than I at first realized. Maybe it's just that it's breaking in (as are the strings I chose for it).

But even after putting better flats on my Select Jazz (60's pickup spacing and rosewood fingerboard), I seem to be getting closer to my desired J-Bass sounds (not just slapping, metal, and hard rock) with the Geddy Lee (string with rounds, but I didn't like rounds on the Select Jazz).

Maybe I'm just a maple guy when it comes to Fender. After all, I didn't truly find love for the Jazzmaster guitar until selling my AVRI recently for the new maple fingerboard model. :-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2