Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2880510 - 09/20/17 04:27 PM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Dave Bryce]
Erik Norlander Offline

Loc: Placerville, California
Hi all - It's been a while since I have posted here. Like ... perhaps decades. Hope everyone is doing well! Brother Dave suggested I stop by and say hello.

I hope everyone is enjoying Syntronik. It was a pretty huge project (starting with about 20 years worth of sampling ...), and I'm really proud of the result. It was just released yesterday on the iPad as well (neat!). My favorite Synth of the bunch is of course the Galaxy (based on the Andromeda), and I even roped in our old Andromeda pal, Taiho Yamada, to do some nice voicing for that one. Taiho just posted some demos of his sounds if you're interested:

https://soundcloud.com/taiho-yamada/ik-multimedia-syntronik-taiho-yamada-demo

Jordan did some great demos, too, which it looks like you guys have seen.

There's also a really nice interview with yours truly about the product that you may find interesting (and hey, if nothing else, cool photos):

http://cdm.link/2017/07/syntronik-is-the-new-monster-softsynth-from-ik-hear-from-its-creator/

Cheers everybody,
Erik

KC Island
#2880514 - 09/20/17 04:42 PM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Erik Norlander]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Erik!!

Nice work. I have incorporated Syntronik into y stage rig, wrapped in Mainstage. Works great.

#2880523 - 09/20/17 05:39 PM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: EscapeRocks]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Very cool. Say I've been playing with the iPad version. One thing that struck me is the filter emulation on the V-80 (set to CLASSIC). If you put resonance all the way up and then filter sweep, it will pretty much take your ears off (don't do it with headphones like I did). Seems pretty drastic to me. No? Maybe it's just the particular preset that's messed up. It's hard to tell which the switches are depressed, again on the V-80. The preset is Saw-Sine Scoop V-80. Otherwise, it's really cool.

Busch.

#2880550 - 09/21/17 12:24 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: burningbusch]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Hey Erik, welcome back. Great job on Syntronik! Thanks for the links. cool

I hope you'll stick around for awhile and join the discussions. It's still a great forum.

Here's the thread I created about Syntronik back in May. I posted a lot of videos there:

IK Multimedia Announces Syntronik

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2880571 - 09/21/17 05:18 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Geoff Grace]
Bill W Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Washington DC
I skipped the computer version, but will definitely jump on the iPad version!

My Genesis Tribute Band: www.sellingfairfaxbythepound.com

#2880598 - 09/21/17 07:09 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Bill W]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

On iPad it doesn't run as an Audio Unit, and apparently you cannot set the MIDI input channel(s).

#2880626 - 09/21/17 08:31 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: EscapeRocks]
Erik Norlander Offline

Hi David, Busch, Geoff - nice to see you guys. I'm really glad you're enjoying the instrument. Geoff, thanks for the previous thread -- cool.

I've been sampling for most of my adult life, but the real catalyst for this sample collection was when I was touring a LOT in 2007-2008, and I lamented how beat up my Andromeda was getting on each fly date. I do "know some people" wink who kept fixing it, but man, I knew that after a while it was just going to cross the proverbial Rubicon and just not be fixable anymore. So I started sampling very specific Andromeda sounds and put them in the Motif ES and Blofeld module. The Motif ES was always available from backline companies, so I could just bring a flash drive with the samples, and the Blofeld of course fits in a backpack. With this approach, I really started to figure out and learn what aspect of the analog synth should be sampled and what should not. That became a sort of ethos for my sampling and editing. I went back to older sample sessions and re-approached those the same way, and of course I kept on sampling new instruments in this way.

Then the opportunity with IK came along, and here we are. The guys did a great job of modeling my hardware synth filters with so many measurements and re-measurements and analyses and re-analyses it would make your head spin. We also came up with this Ensemble effect that I absolutely love. It's provides the quirky chorus-phaser of the ARP String Ensemble along with the classic Roland-style ensemble chorus that's in the Juno-60, RS-505, etc. We added a pre-emphasis control which works great with the inherent low pass filtering of the bucket brigade circuit, and then a subtle overdrive control that gives you the bucket brigade saturation sound. Plus the whole mono-to-stereo phase trick thing that is of course part of the Roland chorus, but it also available with the ARP String Ensemble chorus sound in this effect. Love that.

Anyway, I seem to be just blathering on now. Happy you guys are enjoying it as much as I am. smile

Cheers,
Erik

#2880631 - 09/21/17 08:47 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: burningbusch]
Erik Norlander Offline

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
Very cool. Say I've been playing with the iPad version. One thing that struck me is the filter emulation on the V-80 (set to CLASSIC). If you put resonance all the way up and then filter sweep, it will pretty much take your ears off (don't do it with headphones like I did). Seems pretty drastic to me. No? Maybe it's just the particular preset that's messed up. It's hard to tell which the switches are depressed, again on the V-80. The preset is Saw-Sine Scoop V-80. Otherwise, it's really cool.

Hi Busch - The "Classic" filter in Syntronik is the legacy SampleTank filter. As far the painful trauma that happens when you turn the resonance all the way up, my advice is ... don't turn the resonance all the way up [ducking now... wink ]. But honestly, even on a real CS-80, I don't think I would turn up the resonance ALL the way. The "Classic" filter doesn't have the analog-style resonance scaling that the analog-modeled filters have, so it gets pretty insane at the extreme settings and also when it goes down into the very low frequencies. And the R-Type filter sounds quite good, too, on the CS-80 samples sets like that one -- please give that a try. smile

Keep in mind that overall, Syntronik is not intended to be your ultimate-sound-design-infinite-possibilities synth. It is intended to be a convenient and great-sounding collection of the most famous and musically useful synth and string machines sounds with only the most commonly-used editing controls. Like ALL synths, I think it's good to be in tune with what the instrument is and what it is not. The Minimoog makes a terrible piano sound. smile

Cheers,
Erik

Edited by Erik Norlander (09/21/17 08:47 AM)

#2880636 - 09/21/17 09:06 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: GovernorSilver]
Bill W Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver
On iPad it doesn't run as an Audio Unit, and apparently you cannot set the MIDI input channel(s).

Interesting. Peter from IK also said (on KVR) that the sample set is smaller for the iPad, so there are obviously compromises.

#2880648 - 09/21/17 09:57 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Bill W]
Erik Norlander Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill W
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver

Interesting. Peter from IK also said (on KVR) that the sample set is smaller for the iPad, so there are obviously compromises.

Hi Bill and Gov - Right, there is no AU support yet in the iPad version. I know the guys are working on that. The sample set on the iPad is about 8% of the size of the desktop version, solely because you probably don't want a VI making a 55 GB footprint on your mobile device. smile I think the economization went quite well, and while of course some sounds had to be fully omitted, all of the sets that were made smaller definitely keep their vibe and mojo. That was essential. Remember that the old Alesis QS8 synth had a 16MB sample set for *everything* shocked so I do know a couple of things about optimizing samples for smaller memory sizes. I believe most of the single instrument presets in Syntronik are bigger than 16MB! How far we've come.

The only other thing that is different in the iPad version is the reverb effect. In the desktop version, you have the Hall and Plate effects; in the iPad version, you have one "Digital Reverb" effect that replaces those two. I personally converted all of the desktop instruments by ear for the iPad version, one by one comparing to the desktop reverbs while setting the new parameters for the iPad reverb. No lookup tables or auto-conversions were used, it was all hand-done. Tedious? Ummm, yes. But clearly necessary.

Cheers,
Erik

#2880653 - 09/21/17 10:08 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Erik Norlander]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Thanks Erik, I'll play with it. I'll definitely purchase this.

Busch.

#2880656 - 09/21/17 10:20 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: burningbusch]
Bill W Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for the insight on the sample size differences, Erik.

Oddly enough, I didn't get the Mac version because my MBP doesn't have enough space on it. My iPad, on the other hand, has about 180GB open. smile

#2880672 - 09/21/17 11:55 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Bill W]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Available storage definitely an issue on iOS devices we keep for multi use. Of course we'd love to fill it with gigs of samples, our charts, synth apps, drum machines, all sorts of other great music making apps... but then it's not useful for much else. At least the installers are always up on the app store. You can delete and make space for what you need when.

#2880807 - 09/21/17 09:08 PM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Erik Norlander]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
Hi erick i took a picture with you when you came to Ensenada Baja California, BTw great drummer bass player had this great
atitude.

BTW o Ton of people would have love to go and see the show
but there was very little advertisement.

#2880907 - 09/22/17 08:47 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Bill W]
Erik Norlander Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill W
Thanks for the insight on the sample size differences, Erik.

Oddly enough, I didn't get the Mac version because my MBP doesn't have enough space on it. My iPad, on the other hand, has about 180GB open. smile

Hi Bill - Note that you can get complete single Synths if you prefer. Like (hint, hint) just the Galaxy for the Andromeda sounds. That weighs in at only about 8 GB on the desktop version vs. 55 GB for the whole kit and caboodle. Galaxy is the largest Synth in the product, and some of the others are only around 1 GB. I think the String Box is about that size, for example.

I am sure there are users that would be happy to fill up their iPad with all 55 GB of the Syntronik desktop version (me, for example wink ) but I don't know if we could justify enough sales to release a version like that. Let's see! If there is enough public outcry, maybe we can do it.

Cheers,
Erik

#2890252 - 11/14/17 11:41 AM Re: Syntronik from IK Multimedia, It's cool! [Re: Erik Norlander]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Syntronik 1.1 was released today.

Changes from version 1.0:
Quick Edit on Multi page: now features dedicated level and pan sliders as well as effects and arpeggiator bypass for all parts at once
New effect drag & drop repositioning, chain presets, lock and global bypass shortcut features
The length of arpeggiator pattern is now controllable via MIDI
Vibrato can now be assigned to either the Modwheel or the Aftertouch
MIDI assignable aftertouch for enhanced performance expression
Faster database rebuilding process for streamlined library management
General reliability improvements

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner