Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK...Happy Birthday to...

Country picker and mandolin master RICKY SCAGGS turns 63 today.

Not a big country listener here, but I have heard him pick, and can set that fretboard ablaze!

Also mention Motown great and former Detroit councilwoman MARTHA REEVES also turns 76 today too. :)

Dance in the street if you wish. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICKY SCAGGS! I'm not a big fan of blue grass, but I do give it a listen now and then. I love your take on it and your many Grammys prove you know what your doing!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MARTHA REEVES! No Where to Run, Heat Wave and Dancing in the Streets are some of my favorite Motown hits!

:thu: :thu:

Take care, Larryz

I always kind of laugh when I think about it.......

Ecorse, MI is located on the Detroit River. When I was a kid, they used to( and still do) have a fireworks display every 4th of July with the fireworks being launched off a barge docked at an "island" just a short way off the shore of a riverside park they've had there for years. It's now called "Dingell Park" after the U.S. Congressman who hailed from that city.

ONE year, the city closed off Jefferson Ave, between two major stems in the city, and let people fill the Ave. just to stand around and played records over a loudspeaker so the "kids" could dance and party. And actually, the FIRST time I ever HEARD the song "Dancing In The Streets" was at that 4th gathering when people WERE actually dancing in the street! :D

Whitefang

CARLOS SANTANA

Who turns 70 today. Him and the band with his name churned out some great tunes in their time and Carlos still goes at it. Seems to be just no stopping him.

Whitefang

I saw Santana live on their first national tour at the Arena in Philly, on a bill with The Youngbloods, Canned Heat, and Chicago. Santana came on next to last as Chicago had the bigger fame at the time. but Santana was absolutely outstanding that night, the rest were fair to mediocre.

Happy Birthday Carlos long may you live and play.....

Happy birthday to Santana one of my favorites too. He has been to Michigan or will be soon but I can't get to the show. I don;t know why so many shows are on week nights two or more hours drive from home instead of Saturday night when I would try to go. Passed on a George Benson recently same reason. Jim

And today(7/22/17) Eagles co-founder DON HENLEY turns 70.

Wikipedia lists him as a "soft rock" artist! :o

THAT'S gotta surprise a lot of his fans!

Whitefang

Hard to believe, but as I mentioned before, I remember when they opened for YES once and there was a HUGE bunch yelling for them to "Get off the stage!"

Idiots. Heh! I'll bet over the years they snatched up all The Eagles stuff they could find and lied to their kids about how much they always LOVED them back in "the day" ;)

Whitefang

I remember going to see Alabama and the warm up band was the Charlie Daniels band. I preferred Charlie's band. The same thing would have happened for me at a Yes concert with the Eagles as the warm up band. I would really enjoy the show a lot more without the idiots in the crowd though LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I've been lucky I guess at concerts. The warm up bands are sometimes better than the main liners! I think the fans at that Yes concert just want to hear their guys and would boo anyone that got up there back in those days. I have experienced idiot hecklers during stand up comedy, but that is to be expected and is sometimes funny as part of the show. The comedians are usually pretty sharp and putting the idiots in their place though LOL! Rude people at concerts need to get booted IMHO... :crazy:
Take care, Larryz

:like:

Along with those doofs who wander around the arena in packs looking up into the crowd looking as if they're trying to notice who's there, or maybe who's noticing THEM there! :/

Whitefang

Hey, y' live in DTown, right ?

Why'nt y' mention Geo Clinton's BDay ?

That cat's one of ther major conceptualizers (& users of gtr playererzerizers :rawk: avaiable to history !!!!!!! )

I know it showed up in the same read you get yer info from.

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

Actually d, it didn't. I get my info from the "horoscope" column in the Detroit Free Press, which admittedly does lack in it's enirety of celeb birthday listings. But thanks for the mention of Clinton, who surely deserves a "happy birthday" wish from all who like good music.

What my being in "Dtown" has to do with anything is puzzling, since Clinton was born in N Carolina and came out of New Jersey.

But the column DID mention today being the 74th birthday of legend MICK JAGGER.

Who I hope DOES get some "Satisfaction" today, AND also gets everything that he wants. ;)

Whitefang

Actually d, it didn't. I get my info from the "horoscope" column in the Detroit Free Press, which admittedly does lack in it's enirety of celeb birthday listings. But thanks for the mention of Clinton, who surely deserves a "happy birthday" wish from all who like good music.

What my being in "Dtown" has to do with anything is puzzling, since Clinton was born in N Carolina and came out of New Jersey.

But the column DID mention today being the 74th birthday of legend MICK JAGGER.

Who I hope DOES get some "Satisfaction" today, AND also gets everything that he wants. ;)

Whitefang

Geo Clinton ,beyond Berry, was / is the major music force outta DT.

d=halfnote

Clinton did work (and without much success) as a staff songwriter and occasional music producer for Motown for a spell, but his "fame" really didn't come until a song he wrote for his group The Parliments, which he formed in New Jersey, "(I Wanna) Testify" made it big. And HE as the only actual member of that group ON the record, the rest not able to get to Detroit for the recording session. And his Parliment/Funkadelics group recorded under CASABLANCA records out of New York, and Clinton didn't find solo success until he moved over to CAPITOL records in '81 or so. Doesn't really matter though. He's a "Major music force" regardless of where from. ;)

Whitefang

FWIW, most PF records thoughout their career were recorded in Detroit's United Sound Studios.

GC himself lives in a rural area NW of the city.

Unawareness is ongoing.

As some say, "Pizza out'

d=halfnote

Unawareness is ongoing.

1st, as Steve is 3 years my junior, "womb mates" isn't even close! :D

As to the quote:

Indeed it is. From all I can find, George lives in BROOKLYN, MI, which is about 40 or more miles WEST of Detroit, near Jackson, MI. Out Jimmac's way, I think( ONE member here I know lives that direction) ;)

Whitefang

What does it matter anyway.

The only town out that way I'm familiar with is Chelsea. And not much except for the JIFFY Co. there. ;) And actor Jeff Daniels being from there.

Whitefang