Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2867522 - 07/17/17 04:50 PM Synth Britannia - BBC documentary
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Haven't thought about this one in a while, just showed up for streaming on BBC again.

Synth Britannia

Documentary following a generation of post-punk musicians who took the synthesiser from the experimental fringes to the centre of the pop stage.

In the late 1970s, small pockets of electronic artists including the Human League, Daniel Miller and Cabaret Volatire were inspired by Kraftwerk and JG Ballard, and they dreamt of the sound of the future against the backdrop of bleak, high-rise Britain.

The crossover moment came in 1979 when Gary Numan's appearance on Top of the Pops with Tubeway Army's Are 'Friends' Electric? heralded the arrival of synthpop. Four lads from Basildon known as Depeche Mode would come to own the new sound, whilst post-punk bands like Ultravox, Soft Cell, OMD and Yazoo took the synth out of the pages of NME and onto the front page of Smash Hits.

By 1983, acts like Pet Shop Boys and New Order were showing that the future of electronic music would lie in dance music.

Contributors include Philip Oakey, Vince Clarke, Martin Gore, Bernard Sumner, Gary Numan and Neil Tennant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n93c4

Other Music Movies Thread
OT_Can_we_just_get_a_Music_Mov

KC Island
#2867624 - 07/18/17 09:18 AM Re: Synth Britannia - BBC documentary [Re: ElmerJFudd]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Finally got a chance to watch this last night - loved it! I used to really be into a lot of those bands and after watching this, I'm inspired to bust out some of the vinyl, and there are others in there that I'd like to explore. Unfortunately, none of those bands ever came through St. Louis so I never had a chance to actually see any of them. Later on, bands like Erasure have come through that I've seen.

When that was over, I watched the Depeche Mode documentary that had interviews with a lot of the same people - in fact looked like some may have come from the same interviews that were featured in the Synth Britannia documentary.

I think this documentary captures what I was trying to articulate in a previous thread asking what will be the next truly original thing and is it even possible in the modern musical climate. Interesting stuff.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867647 - 07/18/17 12:13 PM Re: Synth Britannia - BBC documentary [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I watched it again recently, and seem to recall a link posted for the the same video here or on another forum several years ago. I enjoyed watching it again... and would like to see more stuff like this. thu

#2867669 - 07/18/17 02:17 PM Re: Synth Britannia - BBC documentary [Re: Synthoid]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: Synthoid
I watched it again recently, and seem to recall a link posted for the the same video here or on another forum several years ago. I enjoyed watching it again... and would like to see more stuff like this. thu

I watched it directly in YouTube and some of the other suggested videos on the side bar looked pretty good - that's the one where I found the Depeche Mode video that I watched next.

I would like to see a similar video featuring some of the American artists like Devo.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867833 - 07/19/17 08:50 AM Re: Synth Britannia - BBC documentary [Re: J. Dan]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
I would like to see a similar video featuring some of the American artists

I found this old Cars documentary. Just watched a little bit so far but it looks interesting:

#2867868 - 07/19/17 11:20 AM Re: Synth Britannia - BBC documentary [Re: ElmerJFudd]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
The Mini-KORG 700 got lots of traction early on.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner