Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2866490 - 07/12/17 08:01 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: timwat]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: timwat

You won't find these at Guitar Center, but they claim to be calibrated by Phil Jones (of Phil Jones Bass fame), and they're only $40.

Edifier H840 headphones

those look really nice for the money. thu

KC Island
#2866491 - 07/12/17 08:07 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: davedoerfler]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

You won't find these at Guitar Center, but they claim to be calibrated by Phil Jones (of Phil Jones Bass fame), and they're only $40.

Edifier H840 headphones

I wonder about the components. At $40 sell price, that means they probably cost between $10-$15 to make. Maybe less. idk

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2866492 - 07/12/17 08:14 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

Edifier H840 headphones

I wonder about the components. At $40 sell price, that means they probably cost between $10-$15 to make. Maybe less. idk

dB

agreed, but at the OP's requested price point they look nice.

#2866552 - 07/13/17 05:40 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Dave Bryce]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I believe it's worth it to make sure you have good headphones.

Remember the function they serve - for you to be able to hear all the sounds you're making....or all the sounds that other people are making.

Your ears are arguably the most important thing in our craft/passion. As far as I can tell, the first thing in the chain after your ears is essentially the gateway to everything else.

dB

I agree in principle. I am critical about wasting money on over priced product.
Unfortunately, high price is not a reliable determinant of high quality.

Without good functioning ears, mixing would be nearly impossible.

I would assert one has to have an excellent brain or mind to interpret the music. So mind/brain and ears is a tie, or maybe 1A and !B

#2866562 - 07/13/17 06:37 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: GregC]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: GregC

That is true...but it is frequently an indicator of same; and, typically a higher priced product needs to stand up to a different level of scrutiny as far as higher performance standards, look, durability etc than lower priced competitors.

On the other hand, a really low price is rarely an indicator of high quality, largely because of the type of math I demonstrated - at $40 retail, there's only so much you can put into the cost of goods, manufacturing, packaging etc and still be profitable.

dB

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2866607 - 07/13/17 09:38 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Dave Bryce]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: GregC

That is true...but it is frequently an indicator of same; and, typically a higher priced product needs to stand up to a different level of scrutiny as far as higher performance standards, look, durability etc than lower priced competitors.

On the other hand, a really low price is rarely an indicator of high quality, largely because of the type of math I demonstrated - at $40 retail, there's only so much you can put into the cost of goods, manufacturing, packaging etc and still be profitable.

dB

taking the points a bit further, I think its good to employ critical thinking

FYI, I have had my own small business for a decade. I consider myself a small business advocate. As such, I am inclined to buy product from a small co, even pay a bit more for it
vs buying a similar product from the mega manufacturer/large corp, etc, etc.

Which is why this forum is valuable. Folks are pointing out possibilities from what might be called boutique cos. I will now try 1 of them vs being locked into my $40 credit at GC.

There are numerous small cos in our country that provide an outstanding product and do not employ ' short cuts' ( in quality components , for example).

I much prefer that option vs buying from a mega corp.

The problem, from my experience, is that some large cos, in the quest for more profit, adopt what I call ' short term ' disease. They likely provide a sterling product in the first few yrs, but once they establish their ' brand' , some cost cutting and short cuts on quality take place.

As a consumer, we cannot initially see the quality short cut. It might occur in a higher defective rate or the product starts to degrade quicker than we expect.

Which is why I believe critical thinking is our friend. Plus the valuable experience on this forum

#2866711 - 07/13/17 06:39 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: GregC]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oz. Its too damned green.

>> Shure, Sony. I have heard of them.
I actually have the MDR7506. . They are +15 yrs old. Slightly worn out, lots of ear wax. You know how it goes. If not, I have photos J/K

I had a pair of Pioneer headphones ages back whose frequency response was awe-inspiring. Then I became a devout AKG man until my second pair was murdered by bad weather. Since then, I've used Sony MDRs with real satisfaction. They sound reasonably "flat" to me, as their sound is on a par with what I hear from other sources. By all means, never spend $40 on headphones if you can squeeze a little and spend $100. If you can find $100, spend $200. Its a key component that deserves a no-skimp approach. So does going earwax-surfing with a Q-tip once a month. sick

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2866716 - 07/13/17 07:37 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: David Emm]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I have an old set of amazing Sennheiser headphones, but I have actually started doing all of my critical listening with my in-ears. The sound isolation is amazing, and they aren't even high end in-ears (Shure SE215). Obviously more than $50, but if you don't have a set...it wouldn't hurt to have a set in the toolkit.

Wes
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2867414 - 07/17/17 09:36 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Dave Bryce]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

JVC HARX 300 or HARX 330.

$12.44 from Walmart shipped.

These phones SOLVED my digital piano issues and make my Yamaha P120 sound like I don't need to "upgrade" to a $2000 CP4.

They also solved my CV issues with the HX3 organ module and made me reject another highly popular clone organ.

For organ, the percussion balance is right, which is hard to get.

I would imagine gear snobs will sneer, but I never want to be without a pair of these again.

The highs are on the soft side so if you are looking for something bright and crispy, forget it. One the other hand my digital piano and clone organ just sound right with these.

#2867426 - 07/17/17 10:25 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: LX88]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: LX88
JVC HARX 300 or HARX 330.

$12.44 from Walmart shipped.

#2867437 - 07/17/17 11:07 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Synthoid]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I love that dog. He plays a mean bass.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2867448 - 07/17/17 11:23 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: mate stubb]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
I love that dog. He plays a mean bass.

You should meet his brother-in-law. grin

#2867456 - 07/17/17 11:41 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Synthoid]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
But what kind of headphones does he use?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867466 - 07/17/17 12:12 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: J. Dan]
David R Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, QC
I swear by the Koss Porta-Pros. More for casual listening - although Brazilians use them as monitors in studio as well - they're pretty durable, sound good, and lifetime guarantee.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Koss/Porta-Pro-Classic-Portable-On-Ear-Headphones.gc?_requestid=793684

Logic 9, Mainstage 2, Kontakt 5, AAS & Arturia stuff, fingers, pencil, paper.

#2867513 - 07/17/17 03:51 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: David R]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Good, comfortable, lightweight.

Shazam!

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2867517 - 07/17/17 04:21 PM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
If they don't have to be pristine audiophile (which you won't find at this price point anyway) I can highly recommend these wireless Sennheiser. I'm on my second set - bought the first in 2010. I use them connected to my TV and have literally walked my dog to the end of the street and still have reception. It's nice not to be tethered, listening to a playback while going to the kitchen, etc.

Bada-Bing!

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2867960 - 07/20/17 12:03 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Synthaholic]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Great article in The Wirecutter with their headphone roundup. A couple my friends were involved in the reviewing, and both have great ears. Worth checking out...

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

#2867995 - 07/20/17 06:51 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: David R]
analogholic Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: David R
I swear by the Koss Porta-Pros. More for casual listening - although Brazilians use them as monitors in studio as well - they're pretty durable, sound good, and lifetime guarantee.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Koss/Porta-Pro-Classic-Portable-On-Ear-Headphones.gc?_requestid=793684

+10000

Sound ridiculously good for the money....

And sound much better than many more expensive cans

#2868011 - 07/20/17 07:42 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: analogholic]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: analogholic
And sound much better than many more expensive cans

#2868015 - 07/20/17 08:00 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Synthoid]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

I have a set of Ultrasone HDI-650, a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X, and two well used pairs of good ol' AKG K240M. The Ultrasones have been my first call for about ten years.

dB

#2868038 - 07/20/17 09:47 AM Re: Good(or better) quality headphones , under $50 ? [Re: Dave Bryce]
JazzPiano88 Online   content

Loc: USA
I always liked Fostex. Had a pair of T20s bought for $40 back in the 80's that lasted until just a couple years ago. Extremely comfortable. Now I see they are a bit more pricey for a similar line in the $150 range.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner