Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2867499 - 07/17/17 02:44 PM OT: Photographer
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

My girlfriend's daughter is a good amateur photographer with decent gear. She shot pics at a recent gig and they turned out pretty good. Not professional level (although she did come up with some pretty creative shots), but a hellava lot better than iPhone pics.

I don't know how many hours she spent editing, but what's a reasonable hourly amount to pay her for her time and expertise?

KC Island
#2867515 - 07/17/17 04:12 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: misterdregs]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
Well, it's a hard call. I'm no pro photographer, but from what I've read, they receive so much $ for x number of pictures you like. It's up to them to make the best use of their time and talent.

How many usable/creative pix did she offer you? Consider a flat rate of $50 for the shots you use/like, assuming she had between 5 and 10 shots. This encourages the photographer to do more shots that are good, and gives here some cash. If you use her shot (with her permission) on social media or flyers, give her a credit, too. Some other band might like her work and contact her.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2867539 - 07/17/17 06:54 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Bottom End]
drawback Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
Originally Posted By: misterdregs
My girlfriend's daughter is a good amateur photographer with decent gear. She shot pics at a recent gig and they turned out pretty good. Not professional level (although she did come up with some pretty creative shots), but a hellava lot better than iPhone pics.

I don't know how many hours she spent editing, but what's a reasonable hourly amount to pay her for her time and expertise?

"I'm a good amateur keys player with decent gear. I did a recent solo gig for a friend of my girlfriend's party and it turned out pretty good. Not professional level (although I did come up with some pretty creative riffs), but a hellava lot better than Google Play.

They don't know how many hours I spent putting together the repertoire, but what's a reasonable hourly amount to ask her to pay me for my time and expertise?"

... Does this help?

#2867545 - 07/17/17 07:13 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: drawback]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Or maybe, "Hey, thanks for taking those pics. I really love them, and would maybe like to use some of them for band promo. What would you charge me for a license?"
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2867549 - 07/17/17 07:39 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: WesG]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
Originally Posted By: WesG
Or maybe, "Hey, thanks for taking those pics. I really love them, and would maybe like to use some of them for band promo. What would you charge me for a license?"

^^^^^^This!
First just ask her. Explain how you'd like to use the photos and see what she says. You could also ask her directly how much time she spend editing as you probably know how much time she spent actually shooting the photographs.

Pricing for a photographer can vary dramatically as there are many different pricing models. The reality is she already went there and took the photos, likely for the fun and experience of doing it. At this point, I'd offer to pay her for the photos that you want to use. Ask her to set the price. She may not know an answer depending on her experience level at which point you can make her an offer.

Another option is to say that you like these photos so much that you'd like to book her to photograph your next gig. This could be a flat rate, hourly rate or simply based on the number of photos you choose the buy in the end.

Most importantly, don't use the photos without her permission.

#2867554 - 07/17/17 08:27 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Mike Martin]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
Because she is "amateur" it would be best to ask her what she would consider a fair price. If she takes money, she technically becomes "professional" as that is the main difference between the two designations. I have a book which lists typical pricing for portrait sittings, weddings, live action etc., but varies with the location and complexity of the shoot, the geographical areas within the U.S. and such.

Excerpt: Hobbyist: Free or (under $100). There are many people who love photography, they have a good eye and like to share their passion. They have a job in another industry, and, most likely, don't follow many of the best photography business practices, but they can get the job done. Amateur: $25 $75 per hour.)

I am sure you can come to a reasonable rate. A good photo shoot is worth paying for when you consider what it does for you and is never a bad investment. Make her happy and it will make you happy in the long run.

Edited by Desert Rat (07/17/17 08:30 PM)

#2867559 - 07/18/17 12:10 AM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Desert Rat]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
And try to credit her wherever possible. It means a lot to a photographer. A small caption under the photo on your band website; a link to her or her website (if she has one); an acknowledgment on your CD etc. will be very much appreciated.

#2867573 - 07/18/17 05:41 AM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: xKnuckles]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: xKnuckles
And try to credit her wherever possible.

+1 thu

#2867587 - 07/18/17 06:20 AM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Synthoid]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I once asked a musician acquaintance if I could take pictures at his concert/party and he said yes. I took a number of pictures and posted the good ones in an album on my site. Maybe a couple of weeks later, I spot one of my pictures on his MySpace page (that's how long ago this was). Then I go to the photos page on his MySpace page and there are my other photos from the event, all with my watermark cropped off the photos!

IIRC, he made some comment to me about 'removing the ugly watermark' when I asked him what was up and asked to at least give me credit. This guy isn't only a musician, he and/or his wife is an artist. They should have known better. I would have been fine with him using them if he had just asked. I wasn't looking to make a buck nor was I trying to sell photography services to anyone else. But at the same time, I should get credit.

So yeah, always give them credit, at least.

#2867591 - 07/18/17 06:32 AM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Joe Muscara]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Then I go to the photos page on his MySpace page and there are my other photos from the event, all with my watermark cropped off the photos!

That's the pits Joe... wow! mad

I was a commercial photographer back in the 1980's and did some wedding and portrait photography on the side as well. (Don't get me started about working with brides and their mothers). Obviously we didn't have digital cameras, PhotoShop, or the Internet back then so it was nearly impossible for someone to "steal" your work.

#2867638 - 07/18/17 11:08 AM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Synthoid]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Synthoid
Then I go to the photos page on his MySpace page and there are my other photos from the event, all with my watermark cropped off the photos!

That's the pits Joe... wow! mad

I was a commercial photographer back in the 1980's and did some wedding and portrait photography on the side as well. (Don't get me started about working with brides and their mothers). Obviously we didn't have digital cameras, PhotoShop, or the Internet back then so it was nearly impossible for someone to "steal" your work.

I love the internet for a lot of things, but it has sucked for those of us who make things that can be easily stolen, like musicians and photographers.

#2867645 - 07/18/17 12:08 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Joe Muscara]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I love the internet for a lot of things, but it has sucked for those of us who make things that can be easily stolen, like musicians and photographers.

And graphic artists as well. I remember when I started designing, several people wanted a freebie. I didn't mind helping out friends once in awhile, but there was one online project that I recall back in the late 90's... I was asked to design a logo for some startup company. I came up with a few ideas and sent them via email. Never heard anything after that. A valuable learning experience.

#2867675 - 07/18/17 02:24 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Joe Muscara]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

... all with my watermark cropped off the photos!

My daughter used to shoot a lot of horse shows. As I recall, her watermark was across the center of the photos. But people still would not buy them and post her pics with the prominent watermark. :-/

#2867676 - 07/18/17 02:28 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: Synthoid]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I've had a few photographers show up to gigs and offer pics after the fact. One guy is fairly well known around town - goes by "Photo Joe" and goes around checking out live bands and taking pics. I don't know if that's all he does or if he has a day job, but I know him as an acquaintance, I would say. In my old 80s band after a gig, he just sent me a disk full of pictures he had taken - didn't ask for anything. If I wasn't going to use any, I probably would have left it at that, but there were a few good ones in there, so I sent him $50. Not a lot, but then again, I didn't ask him to take the pictures or send them to me. But I figure if I'm going to use them, he should get some compensation.

Another guy did something similar, except reached out to me and offered to sell them to me. I looked through them and they were REALLY good, and there were a lot of them. Very usable for anything from individual profile pics, to live pics, etc - and they weren't just pics...they looked very artistic. Obviously using special lenses to get certain angles looking cool, etc. I ended up buying the lot for $150.

Finally, a 3rd person had taken a few cool pictures at a gig - not a lot, I think there were maybe 3 or 4 we ended up using. Her only request was that we leave her watermark on there at the bottom of the photo giving credit, which we did. I think she figured at that time our site got a ton of traffic and she wanted some advertising out of it.

Edited by J. Dan (07/18/17 02:30 PM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867684 - 07/18/17 03:02 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: J. Dan]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Someone was taking pics at our last gig. I assumed she was related to one of us, but no one knew who she was.

There are some new pics on our FB page that are pretty good. I don't know if they were hers.

#2867698 - 07/18/17 03:54 PM Re: OT: Photographer [Re: misterdregs]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
To clarify my comments, and expand upon a few others, my proposal recognized that the photographer hadn't been asked, nor offered to photograph the show, but since she did, and you like some of the shots, this is a way to show appreciation and, encourage her to continue, and pay her for her work. Now that you know what she can do, and she knows you are interested in the results, that may lead to some sort of future arrangement.

Part of the reason I don't suggest thinking about it by hour after the fact is that you are not recognizing hours of effort, you are placing a value on the result. Generally, that is what one would pay for artwork of any sort.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner