Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2867484 - 07/17/17 12:50 PM OT: My Local Library disappeared
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California

last month, I was enjoying music history books at my local library.

Now,,, its gone. Poooof. No more

Other than a few books I need to return, my library is gone!

The memories are there. same street signs. But the lot is empty.

I could hack Time Machine from my Mac and reconstruct what happened but a serious glitch might send me back to pre-google search engine days.

Not sure anyone can help me.
I dislike fines on over due books.

Sven, maybe ?

Edited by GregC (07/17/17 01:02 PM)

KC Island
#2867497 - 07/17/17 02:41 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: GregC]
Sospiri Online   happy

Loc: Crete, Greece
I was in the Library Management Software game in the UK for 30 years. The company I worked for was taken over by a Swedish company and the staff is now down to less than 20% of what it was when I retired. Cataloguing, once a prime job among librarians, has almost disappeared, all being done well in advance of publication by the British Library. Most library authorities spend far more on systems and buildings than they ever do on books, and then cut staff and opening hours to the bare minimum. I don't for a minute think that the system is any different in the USA.

Businesses that once subscribed to things like Kompass can now get their information from the internet Children are more interested in their technological toys than reading books. Most of their customers are pensioners who can't afford to buy the latest fiction and teenagers who spend hours on the computers.

More and more libraries are closing every year. Depressing picture? Yes, but it seems to be the way the world is going.

Edited by Sospiri (07/17/17 02:41 PM)

#2867503 - 07/17/17 02:50 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: Sospiri]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: Sospiri
More and more libraries are closing every year. Depressing picture? Yes, but it seems to be the way the world is going.

I believe Greg's joke might have been a little too 'inside' for the general forum. frown

#2867509 - 07/17/17 03:40 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: Sven Golly]
George88 Offline
Gold Member

Indeed.

#2867526 - 07/17/17 05:15 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: George88]
MotiDave Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
whats a library? you mean like a sub-directory on your cloud-hosted data warehouse? can't you just access it wherever you're at? smile

#2867529 - 07/17/17 05:30 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: MotiDave]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I came up with a system to organize all of the sysex messages of my various pieces of gear. I call it the Dewey Hexidecimal System.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867532 - 07/17/17 05:58 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: MotiDave]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MotiDave
whats a library? you mean like a sub-directory on your cloud-hosted data warehouse? can't you just access it wherever you're at? smile

It is confusing.

Recently the library manager said something about all the books are nothing but data in logical pools, in storage spanning multiple servers and at various other virtual locations,

And something about this environment owned and managed by a hosting company somewhere in the clouds. These folks in the clouds are responsible for keeping the data available and accessible, and the physical environment protected and running.

The book data or now its called 'services ' can be accessed through a co-located cloud computer service, a web service application programming interface (API) or by applications that utilize the API, such as cloud desktop storage, a cloud storage gateway or Web-based content management systems.

I almost followed what was going on until he started throwing acronyms around like API

Even my Kronos is less complicated than this. And who are these Cloud People ?

My library card from 1960 is useless.

Edited by GregC (07/17/17 05:58 PM)

#2867533 - 07/17/17 06:12 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: GregC]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: GregC
And who are these Cloud People ?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867548 - 07/17/17 07:34 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: GregC]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

#2867563 - 07/18/17 01:42 AM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: Synthoid]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK

#2867569 - 07/18/17 05:03 AM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: Synthoid]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Synthoid

too funny, smile

Let me guess, you are a trekkie ?

#2867572 - 07/18/17 05:38 AM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: GregC]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Let me guess, you are a trekkie ?

From the beginning!

cheers

#2867722 - 07/18/17 05:58 PM Re: OT: My Local Library disappeared [Re: Sospiri]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Sospiri

I probably shouldn't wade into the inside joke. But good libraries still have a *whole* lot of value above and beyond the cloud or internet.

a) Works that can't/haven't be digitized onto the net in full.
b) References and databases that are free in the library but hundreds of dollars online.

Quite a bit of the really useful stuff I'm looking for falls into these two categories.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner