Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2867429 - 07/17/17 10:47 AM Hanon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments?
cantstoplt021 Offline

I'm mostly a guitarist/drummer who plays some piano. Lately I've noticed that my left hand isn't as quick and dexterous as I'd like it to be. I can play some complicated stuff on guitar, but when it comes to faster stuff my left hand feels a little slow. I've noticed with Hanon exercises that my left hand is less quick and accurate than my right. I found that odd considering the gymnastics I've put my left hand through over the years. I'm wondering if Hanon exercises will transfer over to guitar in a way? Will the dexterity and nimbleness gained on piano transfer over to guitar in a way? I asked this on a guitar forum and they thought no, but I don't see how it wouldn't transfer over in someway.

Definitely looking to kill two birds with one stone. Improve both my guitar and piano chops.

Edited by cantstoplt021 (07/17/17 02:23 PM)

KC Island
#2867444 - 07/17/17 11:17 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: cantstoplt021]
stillearning Offline

I use the Hanon exercises almost daily, especially before a gig. I teach keyboards, and introduce students to the Hanons early on, so I am a firm believer in them. But can only speak from the viewpoint of a pianist, since I'm not a guitarist. I can't imagine them being anything but helpful to some degree.

Edited by stillearning (07/17/17 11:18 AM)

#2867446 - 07/17/17 11:19 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: stillearning]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Well I am on 12 and 13 right now. What a pain in the ass.

noblevibes.com

#2867467 - 07/17/17 12:13 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Outkaster]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Anyone else seeing the irony in the typo in the subject line? wink snax

#2867473 - 07/17/17 12:27 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Sven Golly]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
Anyone else seeing the irony in the typo in the subject line? wink snax
"Americans love irony. They can't get enough of it." - Randy Newman

#2867474 - 07/17/17 12:27 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Sven Golly]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
glad you said it first, Sven. smile

#2867491 - 07/17/17 01:54 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: davedoerfler]
dje31 Offline

Well, "B" and "N" are right next to each other.

"Missed it by that much, Chief"

Edited by dje31 (07/17/17 01:55 PM)

#2867495 - 07/17/17 02:25 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: dje31]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I play keys, bass, guitar, and sax. I have never found exercises from any one of these to improve dexterity on any other because of the differences in hand position and what muscles you use for each....the possible exception being guitar and bass, but even then, there are differences in strength and reach for each.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867500 - 07/17/17 02:45 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: J. Dan]
Rustar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I play book 3 everyday, and have been for about 3 plus years, and it has enabled facility that I never thought I would attain. My left hand is so much more competent as a result. I play Rock mostly but study Jazz, and the Jazz chops have really been improved. Plus, I don't have to try to find something to work on, since the first hour of practice is pre-programmed. I recommend it for anyone wanting serious chops. But it hasn't helped my harmonica playing at all.

#2867505 - 07/17/17 03:16 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Rustar]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Hanon isn't the be all and end all of piano technique by any means but it can be really useful as part of a balanced breakfast.

FWIW I always notice after a focused bit of work on Hanon or Czerny or any technique that I can type much faster and more accurately. That is to say, there is an increase in general finger dexterity, at least for me.

#2867524 - 07/17/17 04:57 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Bobadohshe]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Las Vegas
Hanson has it uses. Especially for two hand coordination.
Czerny is another one.
Have no proof they helped but I learned Guitar really fast and felt natural.
Except the blisters from not using EB Super Slinkys...

#2867560 - 07/18/17 12:24 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: hardware]
xxKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
I have thought in the past that work on my LH on either instrument benefits both piano and violin (which use a similar hand shape with bent fingers). On a guitar the LH fingers are much flatter and quite different, but the RH ones in classical guitar can be bent and dexterous like on a piano.

*disclaimer: I am a crap guitarist and don't play it any more...

My gut feeling is that all finger exercises are going to help a little with all instruments as they develop speed, muscle and coordination; but unless there are great similarities between what you are doing on both instruments, the amount of benefit you will get will be pretty limited.

#2867570 - 07/18/17 05:13 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Bobadohshe]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Bobadohshe
Hanon isn't the be all and end all of piano technique by any means but it can be really useful as part of a balanced breakfast.

FWIW I always notice after a focused bit of work on Hanon or Czerny or any technique that I can type much faster and more accurately. That is to say, there is an increase in general finger dexterity, at least for me.

Funny thing is Czerny and Duvernoy were all I used back in the 70's and 80's. I never did Hanon till now.

noblevibes.com

#2867574 - 07/18/17 05:42 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Outkaster]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Maybe you could try playing some of them on guitar.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2867589 - 07/18/17 06:23 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: WesG]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Most teachers I encounter seem to focus on book one of Hanon. Rustar is pretty much the first person I've seen mention any other book. Does anyone else use two or three?

#2867603 - 07/18/17 07:27 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
denkom67 Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA, United States
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Most teachers I encounter seem to focus on book one of Hanon. Rustar is pretty much the first person I've seen mention any other book. Does anyone else use two or three?

For the last year I've been alternating between book 1 / book 2 every other day. My left hand has improved pretty significantly during this period - my right hand had pretty good dexterity to start, so I haven't noticed much improvement with it.

#2867626 - 07/18/17 09:28 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I use em all. I only pick some of Book 1 to do at any time unless I have a lot of time. Book 1 is a whole lot of the same thing. Books 2 and 3 start to target other important technical considerations - wrist motion in scales, arpeggios, octaves and tremolos. Indispensable components of good technique. Book 1 is all about finger dexterity / independence.

#2867633 - 07/18/17 10:24 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Bobadohshe]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I played them as a child and early teen. They are good for kids. The drills are mindless. That is what makes them good for juvenile pedagogy. You don't want to get very cerebral when drilling the physical.

In martial arts, Okinawan Karate, I've often told students when young you want to learn the advance stuff. When you get older you finally learn the basics were the advance stuff. I never got to that point with Hanon. Life is a Time Allocation problem. I would rather continue to invest in Inventions, Sinfonias, WTC or perhaps Czerny's School of Velocity.

Edited by CEB (07/18/17 10:25 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2867651 - 07/18/17 12:20 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: CEB]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Hanon is always good if you play the first 20 or 30 exercises in all keys *except* C major. Also melodic and harmonic minor, etc.
They can also be modified and become speed studies, rhythm studies, etc.
The following exercises can be easily replaced by more modern versions. Cortot, Brahms and Beringer are good sources.
However, I use n.32-33-34-35-36, *heavily* modified, for the passing of the thumb.

#2867655 - 07/18/17 12:35 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: marino]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
They are good but better off working through some Bach as a finger exerciser instead...maybe a few Inventions or WTC in different keys..much more musical.

#2867657 - 07/18/17 12:55 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Rustar Offline

The thing about book 3 is that it has no scales, but exercises in octaves, thirds, trills, tremolo, 6ths, etc. I managed the scales in 1 and 2, and put in considerable time with Czerny, and seemed to hit the ceiling on their benefit. The exercises in 3 developed overall strength and dexterity, to an extent that surprised me. I used to experience arm fatigue when I began the exercises, but now after a few years, I do them effortlessly at tempo with no fatigue at all, (except for the tremolos). I think Book 3 is uniquely beneficial as a capstone to the Hanon series. There are "Concluding Remarks" after the last exercise by someone that extols the benefits of these exercises in becoming familiar with the "chief mechanical difficulties" in order to become a "virtuoso". I'm convinced he's correct.
I urge everyone to try it daily for 3 months and see if you don't experience a similar benefit.

Edited by Rustar (07/18/17 01:09 PM)

#2867737 - 07/18/17 07:17 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Rustar]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
The mental focus with Hanon and Czerny helps me. Do mindless stuff, and magically your gig performances get better. Shocking. Although it's still $50. Also shocking.

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Electro 4D, DeepMind-12
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2867742 - 07/18/17 07:35 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: cphollis]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: cphollis
The mental focus with Hanon and Czerny helps me. Do mindless stuff, and magically your gig performances get better. Shocking. Although it's still $50. Also shocking.

Amazon has them at Hanon $4.15 + Czerny $4.69.

Only $2.14 more than an In and Out Double Combo!

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2867745 - 07/18/17 07:50 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: JazzPiano88]
Rustar Offline

It physically changes your muscles to enable the skills that enable your playing and remove limitations. It's like training for American Ninja Warrior: Your muscles need the daily conditioning to build the strength and change the muscles structurally to enable new abilities and enable the physical capacity to function at the higher levels. It takes time and commitment. It is so worth it.Hope this makes sense.

#2867747 - 07/18/17 08:47 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Rustar]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Dohnanyi Essental Exercises is good. Recommend by those who's advice we should listen to. I have never worked through them but those who cause me to chant 'I'm not worthy' use them.

I've played with Tausig and those are awkward as all get out.

You can probably check out Tausig at IMSLP.

Edited by CEB (07/19/17 02:57 AM)

#2867748 - 07/18/17 08:57 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Edited by CEB (07/18/17 08:57 PM)

#2867751 - 07/18/17 09:32 PM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: JazzPiano88]
xxKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: JazzPiano88
Originally Posted By: cphollis

Amazon has them at Hanon $4.15 + Czerny $4.69.

Only $2.14 more than an In and Out Double Combo!

These are all out of copyright and in the public domain. They are easily, freely (and legally) available as downloads on the internet. smile

#2867758 - 07/19/17 12:13 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: CEB]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
Dohnanyi Essental Exercises is good. Recommend by those who's advice we should listen to. I have never worked through them but those who cause me to chant 'I'm not worthy' use them.

I've played with Tausig and those are awkward as all get out.

Tausig you can probably check out at IMSLP.

All this I agree with 100%

#2867765 - 07/19/17 03:23 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Bobadohshe]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Back to the OP. I am a lazy, inconsistent practitioner of Hanon drills and also adopt a similar approach to my guitar skills.

Against that background I find little correlation between keys and guitar drills.

Hanon, Czerny and Bach are excellent for developing skills on keys and in particular hand indepenedence but on guitar I practice scales and modes relevant to music composed from Chuck Berry on, starting with pentatonic scales, in every position (joke, just pandering to keyboard purists - like moving up fret is a challenge) and rhythmic co-ordination between between fretting and picking.

Horses for courses, never thought Hanon on keys would improve my rhythm or lead guitar playing on Thunderstruck or Midnight Rambler.

#2867870 - 07/19/17 11:34 AM Re: Habon exercises improving dexterity on other instruments? [Re: Markay]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
I've just been given some exercises for finger independence recently and they are nothing like Hannon! They are in fact changing my hands faster than Hannon. They are designed to help you make more contact, get your hands 'in' on the keyboard and to separate the fingers! No necessarily get around better...and some of them are really difficult....2nd, 3rd fingers down in RH or LH (4th and 5th down)....

Then while holding 2 and 3 down (4/5 LH) arppegiate through 1.4.5 and back staccato 1st then a 2nd pass legato immediately after the staccatto....it's the legato that's hard ....

then move on in the same hand holding 2 and 4 down and arppegiate
1.3.5 staccato then legato ....

your fingers will get separated and have strength and independence. Gotta do it every day... for month....your hands will feel it right away!

really really slow...the slower the better...
some keys are very difficult...on or two fingers tend to rise, some seem impossible in the beginning!

repeat in the LH...actually some are easier there and of course some are harder than in the RH!

Edited by Legatoboy (07/19/17 12:34 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner