Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2867309 - 07/16/17 06:09 PM Name Something That Made You Want to Quit
BigMoney Offline

In my university guitar ensemble (5 guitar plus bass and drums) I had lead on a challenging tune. When we performed live I screwed up the part really bad and it was super noticeable. Non-musicians probably noticed. I never quit obviously but god **** that was a cringe-worthy experience.

What about you fellas?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

GP Island
#2867319 - 07/16/17 07:57 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: BigMoney]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Never a specific incident, just self doubt in a general sense.

#2867325 - 07/16/17 09:19 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Been frustrated more than once, but never enough to quit.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2867326 - 07/16/17 09:28 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
I have never wanted to quit but I started having pain in my fretting hand due to arthritis and snap finger. I was locking up. Also, got a little pain now and then in my picking hand. I thought I was going to have to sell all of my guitars and equipment. But, the pain has subsided for the most part. I force myself to take a break after each hour of playing. I take Aleve when the pain gets to me. It's a terrible feeling when you think you may have to give up playing guitar...so far, I'm still in the game! cool

#2867353 - 07/17/17 04:03 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Never being a professional player I never had any reason or anything like that to WANT to quit.

Oh, I got DISCOURAGED a lot over the years, but kept playing. And sometimes I'd JOKE about "quitting" playing the guitar, but usually it was facetious commentary on how great I thought some guitarist was. Like when I first heard Johnny Winter at the Michigan State Fairgrounds play, I walked out telling a friend with me there, "Well, THAT certainly makes me want to take a hammer to my fingers out of frustration!" wink
Whitefang

#2867382 - 07/17/17 07:28 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
That's a big question, Big Money, I'm just trying to find an appropriate answer?

Exhaustion, physical, mental, and arguably, spiritual, is the best I can come up with. I don't compare what I do to popular trends, or current artists, and I don't depend on Music for a paycheck. My sense of validation comes mainly from within; if I'm not happy with what I'm doing, that's all that matters, and there have been times when I've picked up my Guitar and felt . . . nothing. No motivation, no ideas, not even force of habit to push my fingers. I have to take time and get past that, often by going out and hearing some live Music.

On most days, I'm with the late Charlton Heston: "When they pry it from my cold, dead hands." I've got three gigs lined up in the next few months, I'm looking at picking up a nice used Ovation later this week, and my side project just had a new release on July 4th. Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting to the next day . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2867386 - 07/17/17 07:42 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 Fang, when I went to see Tommy Emmanuel with some good guitar playing friends, I told them while walking out after the performance, "I'm going to throw all my guitars in a big pile and burn them." I did get over it, and went back for another dose of him playing with Bucky, Frank, Vinnie and Joe during a PBS taping and sat in the 2nd row. It was an amazing show of super talented guitar experts. When I walked out, I told the same friends "I'm not qualified as a guitar player to sweep the stage after that performance!" Anyway, I'm about ready to watch Tommy again now that I have licked my wounds and kept my guitars LOL! cry cool

#2867402 - 07/17/17 08:43 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Larryz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I never felt like quitting the guitar but I did quit band in 10th grade after deciding I could not deal with the new band instructor. He tried to convince me to not quit but that was when I started guitar more seriously. Jim

#2867432 - 07/17/17 10:54 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: jimmac]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's a personal, spiritual relationship with music and then with playing music. I don't think I'll ever quit that... I can't remember a time in my life when it wasn't there, even as a child before I could play anything (but I come from a household of musicians). Hearing something I can't do is just inspirational.

Now, that's music... the "music business" is another thing, entirely... even on a local level, that's frustrating.

#2867564 - 07/18/17 03:39 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: BigMoney]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I have to admit, various issues have made this year really hard to be positive and keep going. Part of me feels like I`m on a path to sitting in a corner, rocking back and forth and mumbling to myself. But years can go by like that, with nothing to show for it. I mean, I`ve performed live several times this year, and I`m scheduled to play at a jam with a bunch of music people-we did it over the winter holidays and everyone had a (slightly drunken) blast. But my usual background level of anger and frustration has been turned up about 20 Db. I`m dealing with it, I`m not happy about it. I`ll just have to find some way to snap out of it and get the feeling back. One of my fellow marital arts types is in South America spending several months on a `shamanic healing` experience. There`s no way I can do that but, I can totally relate to the value.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2867671 - 07/18/17 02:17 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: skipclone 1]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I always had good luck up on stage, I was practicing 4 hours a day in those days, the only thing that made me want to quit was the bar scene, so I did. I kept playing but it became a beloved hobby rather than a career move. That was 40+ years ago but I am still pickin and grinnin at the house (and sometimes with friends).
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2867797 - 07/19/17 07:16 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 DBM, I don't miss doing the bar scene and I'm glad I gave it up. Like you, I just play as a "beloved hobby" for myself now. I still get out once in awhile, but I enjoy not hauling all that equipment around anymore and all the band stuff that comes up...It was lots of fun in my younger days though. There were a few calm neighborhood bars that weren't too bad but the rowdy ones were not my favorite gigs. I liked playing granges halls, weddings, Elks Lodges, Moose Lodges, County Fairs, Private Party fund raisers, etc. It's no longer a career move for me either and hasn't been for a long time now... thu

Edited by Larryz (07/19/17 07:17 AM)

#2867815 - 07/19/17 08:04 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Larryz]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
I just play for fun, when it stops being fun I'll quit, but I don't ever see that happening.

#2867918 - 07/19/17 03:31 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: JuJu Kwan]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Outdoor shows Thursday Friday and Saturday. It is a Hot Mother Hubbard. I might just quit.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2867987 - 07/20/17 06:11 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: skipclone 1]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

For a minute there I thought I totally killed the conversation.......

I should be grateful for the good things-so far this year I`ve performed live and been on Japanese TV AND in a movie-we`re having a second screening party in August. It`s really my day job situation that is pissing me off, and it`s not only me-at least two other friends are fed up, or on the road to fed up. I like what I do but the BS level-I would be out of there like a bullet, but I`m not qualified for much else.

#2868002 - 07/20/17 07:23 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: skipclone 1]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Skip you obviously have the wisdom to logically and methodically deal with your situation. Control it do not let it control you. I think you have other skills you do not think about so just watch and another choice might pop up. I too feel the changes at work are out of control but I am planning on hanging in here a couple more years. Lucky me is past retirement age and financially can leave but younger woman - soon wife will be working about 15 years yet so I am holding on. Been here almost 34 years. Jim

#2868019 - 07/20/17 08:14 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: jimmac]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

jimmac
Thanks for the advice and support. I`m also worried about the part of my life-including guitars-that is still in the U.S. With things as they are, I`m kind of homesick. All that crap together is wearing me out. Probably a wilderness experience-like a year-would be a good thing.

#2868039 - 07/20/17 09:59 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 CEB, those outdoor gigs on hot days are worth quitting and not signing up for LOL!

+1 Skip, hang in there. Like Jimmac says we know you are in control! The only bad thing about any job I have had lies with some of the people I have had to work with. I do not regret the time though as there were a lot of good people that I worked with as well... cool

#2868091 - 07/20/17 05:49 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Winston Psmith]
BigMoney Offline

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
That's a big question, Big Money, I'm just trying to find an appropriate answer?

Exhaustion, physical, mental, and arguably, spiritual, is the best I can come up with. I don't compare what I do to popular trends, or current artists, and I don't depend on Music for a paycheck. My sense of validation comes mainly from within; if I'm not happy with what I'm doing, that's all that matters, and there have been times when I've picked up my Guitar and felt . . . nothing. No motivation, no ideas, not even force of habit to push my fingers. I have to take time and get past that, often by going out and hearing some live Music.

On most days, I'm with the late Charlton Heston: "When they pry it from my cold, dead hands." I've got three gigs lined up in the next few months, I'm looking at picking up a nice used Ovation later this week, and my side project just had a new release on July 4th. Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting to the next day . . .

Big questions from BigMoney yes sir. Good way to look at it though. Motivation can be hard to find sometimes unfortunately though ugh

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

#2868249 - 07/21/17 08:22 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: BigMoney]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: BigMoney
In my university guitar ensemble (5 guitar plus bass and drums) I had lead on a challenging tune. When we performed live I screwed up the part really bad and it was super noticeable. Non-musicians probably noticed. I never quit obviously but god **** that was a cringe-worthy experience.

What about you fellas?

This is hard for me to say (yeah, I sense yer stunned reaction already----d's reticent ?! ), since I've never succumbed to defeatist thinking but 2 weeks ago I was almost killed in a completely random act of violence.
It changed me.
It was the 1st time in my life I ever really felt like giving up.
I've been stymied before but never felt there was no point in going forward.

#2868272 - 07/21/17 09:08 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: d
This is hard for me to say (yeah, I sense yer stunned reaction already----d's reticent ?! ), since I've never succumbed to defeatist thinking but 2 weeks ago I was almost killed in a completely random act of violence.
It changed me.
It was the 1st time in my life I ever really felt like giving up.
I've been stymied before but never felt there was no point in going forward.

I hope you can see this as an affirmation of life. You're still here, so life continues. As to the point, the point of life is simply to live it. We perform the actions of living because we must.

#2868273 - 07/21/17 09:16 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

http://cvcb.ky.gov/pages/default.aspx <---check this site out D.

Very sorry to hear that you had to go through the ordeal D...Hope you are OK and can get help if needed...

#2868278 - 07/21/17 09:21 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Holy jeez d-I am having my own issues as you know but this-
sorry sorry man.
PM me if you want to chat.

#2868282 - 07/21/17 09:30 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: d]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
I'm just so glad you are ok d. I was worried as we haven't heard from you in a while, now we know why,

Edited by JuJu Kwan (07/21/17 09:31 AM)

#2868345 - 07/21/17 01:58 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: JuJu Kwan]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Sorry to hear that, Half. Praying peace for you and all involved in this time.

#2868786 - 07/23/17 02:51 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the affirmations, folks.
I think in time I will be OK physically.
As for
Quote:
Very sorry to hear that you had to go through the ordeal...

I do not think there's any predestination to our lives, although we may get set on certain paths as young ppl, so, to me, there's no "hadda happen"

I've always been The Luckiest Cat The World.
Unfortunately when I signed up for that gig, I skipped the fine print where it cited that there's 2 kindsa luck, Good & Bad.
Both are still luck.

#2868805 - 07/23/17 04:06 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@ D, I just hope all is OK and that you get back to being the luckiest cat in the world! thu

#2868859 - 07/23/17 08:29 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Larryz]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I did quit for 13 years between the ages of 17 to 30. Unfortunately during that span I was just trying to survive. I'm 61 now and have been playing for 31 years. Never quit, no matter the circumstances.

#2868893 - 07/24/17 04:00 AM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: Delta]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'm still wondering what it was d was almost killed from. All that happened and HOW it almost cost his life.

I'm glad you're OK man,(yeah, it's true) But letting others here in on the details might help THEM avoid a similar occurrance.

And I hope that MUSIC was the ONLY thing it made you feel like giving up. I mean, I've been to THAT precipice before and also feel like "the luckiest cat in the world" in that at the same time I was looking over the EDGE of that precipice I met the woman in my life that quick grabbed me back away from it and gave me heartfulls of reasons to never go anywhere near it AGAIN!
Whitefang

#2869187 - 07/25/17 05:26 PM Re: Name Something That Made You Want to Quit [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUwMO-fpPI4

was followed by something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj-o1tj_idk

Play 'em both at once for full effect.
Keep playin' as they cycle, changing in relationship a bit each time.

There is nothing that can prepare others for something like that nor avoid the senselessness that comes from individual insanity that explodes.

Does that answer yer Q ?!
Move on....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose