Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2867262 - 07/16/17 12:00 PM OT: iTunes library disappeared
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Mac help request here. (MacBook Pro, retina, 15", late 2013. 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3)

Other than a few audio clips of my band that I've been editing in GarageBand and then exporting to iTunes, my iTunes library is gone!

The music files are still there on the hard drive, but iTunes is empty.

What is the best way to restore it? I have a pretty recent peripheral backup through Time Machine. Do I use it or (as has been suggested) copy and drag the music folder into iTunes? One hitch is that I have EVERYTHING organized into playlists and really don't want to have to redo them.

Thanks.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

KC Island
#2867263 - 07/16/17 12:02 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: misterdregs]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Is it possible you are logged in as a different user with your iTunes account?
And that there is possibly more than one library folder?

#2867264 - 07/16/17 12:05 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: misterdregs]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON

#2867266 - 07/16/17 12:08 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: ElmerJFudd]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Only one user account.

And I only see one library when I open iTunes. Where would I look for multiple ones?

Thanks.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2867268 - 07/16/17 12:31 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: Sven Golly]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

I walked through the steps and now there's nothing in iTunes. There wasn't a step where I dragged the copied iTunes from the desktop into an iTunes library however. I'm not sure what I did or didn't do.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2867270 - 07/16/17 12:41 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: misterdregs]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
have you already tried going into

iTunes / Preferences / Advanced / Media Folder Location

And pointing this at the folder where all your music still is?

#2867271 - 07/16/17 01:12 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: timwat]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Sometimes step by step instructions don't help because if one step is off or doesn't apply to you the whole thing can go down the crapper. So while I am by NO means any kind of iTunes expert, there are the basic things to make sure are in line:

1) You can obviously make sure you're logged in as you, sounds like you've done this, but important first step.
2) The "library file" tells iTunes what songs are a part of your library, along with pertinent information, and their location. It needs this file to populate your library, and it looks in a default location. If for some reason your file is not in the default location, you need to move it there. The file has an extension of ".itl". Follow Sven's instructions above for naming convention and location, but long story shore - if iTunes can't find it for some reason, you have no library. Now you say some of your personal recordings are there, so there IS a library file that still has those. So is ALL of the rest of your music downloaded or has it been added in other ways?
3) Song Locations: If the path to your music has changed, they won't be available. However, I would think that if the library file were intact, they would still show up, just not be playable - in fact I've seen this where I moved a file and I can't remember but you get something like an exclamation point in the library where it's there but you can't play it.
4) Is it trying to pull them from the cloud instead of your computer? Again, I would think they'd show up but be dimmed out until you pull them from the cloud, but the cloud does weird things. I don't like it.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867277 - 07/16/17 01:39 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: J. Dan]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Apple phone support did the trick. He did a better job explaining the instructions, but it was complicated by my having two iTunes folders (the second one labeled "iTunes 1") for some reason. I would blame my kids but they've never messed with this laptop. (My old iMac is another story.)

A few playlists have songs that "could not be located", so I had to find the music files and drop them into the old playlist. I suspect I'll be doing that for a while as I open old playlists. But everything is on the HD somewhere.

Edited by misterdregs (07/16/17 01:39 PM)
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2867279 - 07/16/17 01:44 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: misterdregs]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Side note - there are lots of ways to skin a cat. But awhile back I did use some utility software to repair and move around iTunes and iPhoto libraries.

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com

I exchanged a few emails with the developer and wound up buying iPhoto Library Manager and PowerTunes. Handy every once in a while. I think they're free to try, might save you some time.

#2867282 - 07/16/17 01:51 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Side note - there are lots of ways to skin a cat. But awhile back I did use some utility software to repair and move around iTunes and iPhoto libraries.

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com

I exchanged a few emails with the developer and wound up buying iPhoto Library Manager and PowerTunes. Handy every once in a while. I think they're free to try, might save you some time.
Brian is a great guy. I met him when he was a young programmer coming to the local Mac user group meetings, and when he graduated I helped him get a job at Alsoft where I was working at the time. I guess Fat Cat is now his full time gig, which is cool. thu

#2867283 - 07/16/17 02:14 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ha! the intersection of music and computers and the small world of those that dwell there, right?

He's a responsive developer, quick to reply to questions about his software.

#2867335 - 07/16/17 10:41 PM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: ElmerJFudd]
xxKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
There are not words enough to describe how much i HATE itunes. What a disastrous mess of a programme. I used to be able to use it years ago but now it is just a huge shambolic monstrosity ..... and using it is like trying to grab onto a huge handful of eels..... as fast as you get to grips with one bit, something else wriggles away and starts doing things you don't expect.

What with the combination of Apple's crazy decision to remove headphone sockets from its new iphones and the sheer misery of having to deal with itunes on a regular basis, I am seriously considering completely swapping back to windows. I plan to keep using my iPhone 6 until it draws its last electronic breath and then switch camps.

#2867455 - 07/17/17 11:34 AM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: xxKnuckles]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

I have no idea why, but after getting through about half my playlists yesterday and having to fix about one in four, when I booted up to finish the task there were ZERO corrupted playlists in the other half. Does this make any sense at all?
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2867459 - 07/17/17 11:54 AM Re: OT: iTunes library disappeared [Re: xxKnuckles]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: xKnuckles
using it is like trying to grab onto a huge handful of eels.....

Reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of Frasier:

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner