Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2867349 - 07/17/17 03:06 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: #%$(#]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
Oh the plot thickens:
Doctor Who Suspends Filiming

Seems like they plagiarized a few quotes from this thread.

KC Island
#2867355 - 07/17/17 04:52 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: Tom Williams]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Tom Williams
Not surprising. There's been a, um, social engineering push to the show since introducing Captain Jack, 'way back in the first season of the 21st century reboot, and then in spades with the Torchwood spinoff.

Christopher Eccleston left because in many quotes, he stated he couldn't deal with the "atmosphere" on the set. Russel Davies did move that over to Torchwood, and it would have continued on both shows had he not left to tend to his lover, who had brain cancer.

Frankly Peter Capaldi is an excellent actor, but a terrible doctor.

Yup. being that it's the 13th doctor, perhaps it's a good thing- they're going to lose a ton of support, and this makes it a logical place to end.

..Joe

#2867357 - 07/17/17 05:22 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: #%$(#]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
Oh the plot thickens:
Doctor Who Suspends Filiming

You do realise that's a spoof news site, right?

#2867367 - 07/17/17 06:17 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: miden]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: miden
No not at all. Its like saying the role of playing the Queen, is a female role, you can't really say it's a male role.

Unlike the Doctor, the Queen is a real person.

(As it happens, historically, "real" people have sometimes been played by people of the opposite gender, but that's really a whole different topic. And in "real life," of course, the "role" of supreme monarch of England may be "played" by either a male or female, only the honorific changes, but that's also a different topic.)

If we used a different title for a female doctor, then I suppose the series could change its name accordingly (Doctress Who?), but we don't, so there's no issue there. (Though even gender distinctions in "titles" have become less ingrained, as we often now call a female actor an actor instead of an actress.)

Ghostbusters can arguably be women, too, though not everyone agreed there either. ;-) Though the character of Starbuck in Battlestar Gallactica was male in one version and female in another, and that change ended up being seen as a success.

#2867368 - 07/17/17 06:30 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: AnotherScott]
OrpheusNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I'm kind of amused that we're talking about a fictional alien who can regenerate from looking like Christopher Eccleston to looking like Matt Smith, and ten other actors, and yet somehow the character's gender is an unmutable constant.

My sci-fi/Dr. Who fan daughter is thrilled. Representation is a good thing, and something it can be difficult to understand the hunger for if you've already been represented, like, forever.

To bring this mildly back on topic, here's my daughter's favorite Dr. Who musical knock knock joke:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Dewey
Dewy who?
Doooo-weee-oooooh...

Edited by OrpheusNY (07/17/17 06:43 AM)

#2867371 - 07/17/17 06:43 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: OrpheusNY]
dje31 Offline

Perhaps the good Doctor is simply currently self-identifying as a woman...? Apparently such matters are considered rather fluid these days.

Edited by dje31 (07/17/17 06:43 AM)

#2867375 - 07/17/17 07:14 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: dje31]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
If the Doctor is an alien who can transform to a new appearance and personality, then has the Doctor ever really been a male homo sapiens? Or has it merely been that the Doctor appeared to be a male homo sapiens?

I recall noticing a bit of sexual tension between the Doctor and the blond woman in the episodes I've seen, wondering if they were going to become a couple. But then I would remember thinking that the Doctor is not really a regular human male, and wondering if they didn't become a couple because the Doctor needed to go away soon, or if there was something else different about the Doctor.

Further, while I have only watched fewer than 10 episodes, all of recent vintage, I don't recall any particular physical strength feats in the Doctor that were essential to the plot - the Doctor's powers seemed more related to that special pen tool (whatever that is). So yes, in general men are larger and stronger than women, but I don't see the gender of the previous Doctor character as mattering to the plot.

The Doctor is an alien, right?

#2867378 - 07/17/17 07:22 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: harmonizer]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

We're walking along that knife-edge that separates us from Twitter and Facebook, people. Stuff like "I'm not a sexist, but..." and "I'm just telling it like I see it"

If you want to bring this thread back on topic, look up the original creation of the theme tune. How to use a sample without a sampler? How to make music with an oscillator, but no synthesizer? Etc.

Originally Posted By: harmonizer
This. And fictional.

Cheers, Mike.

#2867384 - 07/17/17 07:32 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: stoken6]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Who gives a bloody crap about Dr. Who?

THEY PUT ED SHEERAN ON GAME OF THRONES PEOPLE!!!

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2867385 - 07/17/17 07:33 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: stoken6]
RABid Offline
10k Club

First 3 years were good, then downhill fast. When Torchwood came out both shows seemed to focus more on agenda than story. Maybe this is a good change. I'm more interested in new writers than the Dr. becoming female.

#2867389 - 07/17/17 07:52 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: dje31]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
I'm excited about a new series of Doctor Who for the first time in ages! 12, 11 and 10 have all been far too similar for my liking, and 10 was basically just 5's cooler younger brother. I just hope she gets some good scripts, Capaldi was really let down in that department.

The main problem problem I've had with new Who is the writers keep making the Doctor the focus of all each episode. The Doctor is basically space-Jesus, able to to deus ex machina their way out of every situation until the actor gets bored of the part and wants to regenerate. And like their counterpart earth-Jesus, the things they do are only so interesting; its the emotions and actions they engender in the people around them that is far more fascinating, and fills more epistles/Saturday night screen time. That's what makes episodes like Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances so good - none of them are really about the Doctor. The Lord of the Rings would be really boring if just focused on Gandalf and Arthurian legend would be just as dull if it was all Merlin.

Also: stop throwing schmaltzy knock-off Vaughan Williams all over everything. I'll feel sad when the characters make me, not when the score tells me too. Bring back the Radiophonic Workshop!

Also also: get off my lawn!

#2867390 - 07/17/17 07:53 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: stoken6]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: stoken6
We're walking along that knife-edge that separates us from Twitter and Facebook, people. Stuff like "I'm not a sexist, but..." and "I'm just telling it like I see it"

If you want to bring this thread back on topic, look up the original creation of the theme tune. How to use a sample without a sampler? How to make music with an oscillator, but no synthesizer? Etc.

This. And fictional.

Cheers, Mike.

Sorry. Anyway, I saw the Radiophonic Workshop play live last weekend and they were f**king incredible.

#2867398 - 07/17/17 08:12 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: MorayM]
b3boy Offline
Platinum Member

I'm all for women in male dominated roles, may it be acting, motorsport etc as long as they are on merit. I get tired of the usually middle aged white male hierarchy governing the world. Dr Who, not that I watch it, should represent more than half the worlds population.

She's far better looking than Tom Baker an all.

#2867400 - 07/17/17 08:24 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: harmonizer]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

If the Doctor is an alien who can transform to a new appearance and personality, then has the Doctor ever really been a male homo sapiens? Or has it merely been that the Doctor appeared to be a male homo sapiens?

Kind of like the Trill character on Star Trek. It "reincarnates" to new host bodies, who can be either male or female.

#2867404 - 07/17/17 08:53 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: AnotherScott]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
No not at all. Its like saying the role of playing the Queen, is a female role, you can't really say it's a male role.

(As it happens, historically, "real" people have sometimes been played by people of the opposite gender, but that's really a whole different topic. And in "real life," of course, the "role" of supreme monarch of England may be "played" by either a male or female, only the honorific changes, but that's also a different topic.)

If we used a different title for a female doctor, then I suppose the series could change its name accordingly (Doctress Who?), but we don't, so there's no issue there. (Though even gender distinctions in "titles" have become less ingrained, as we often now call a female actor an actor instead of an actress.)

Ghostbusters can arguably be women, too, though not everyone agreed there either. ;-) Though the character of Starbuck in Battlestar Gallactica was male in one version and female in another, and that change ended up being seen as a success.

Yeah fair dues! I do like Jodie Whittaker though smile after seeing her in Broadchurch. So maybe, it will be worth watching grin

#2867409 - 07/17/17 09:23 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: miden]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

Yeah fair dues! I do like Jodie Whittaker though smile after seeing her in Broadchurch. So maybe, it will be worth watching grin

I was kinda (a lot) hoping that Olivia Colman was going to be the new Doctor, but I guess after The Night Manager she's got her sights on James Bond? Daniel Craig can't be doing it much longer.

#2867425 - 07/17/17 10:25 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: MorayM]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Funniest comment I've heard out there regarding this:

"Take away the 'W'."

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2867434 - 07/17/17 11:00 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: CEB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Romana 2 would have made a good Doctor. smile

#2867439 - 07/17/17 11:08 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: Dreamchilde]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I haven't watched Dr. Who since I was a kid, which I believe was probably the first incarnation, so I'm not familiar with the various actors who have played the role since, or where the plot has gone. Is the female version supposed to be a descendent or relative, or just the same character as the original Dr. Who except now inexplicably female?

I have no problem with a female in the role, but I have a problem with doing it for no other artistic reason other than to just try to be more PC. I don't know all the stuff you guys are talking about with him being some sort of shape shifting alien. I don't remember that. To me though, for a male character to all of a sudden be female, it seems there should at least be some sort of plot line explaining it. There's supergirl now. They didn't try to pretend like it's the same person as the classic superman, she's a relative, which makes sense from a plot line standpoint.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867441 - 07/17/17 11:12 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: J. Dan]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
I haven't watched Dr. Who since I was a kid, which I believe was probably the first incarnation, so I'm not familiar with the various actors who have played the role since, or where the plot has gone. Is the female version supposed to be a descendent or relative, or just the same character as the original Dr. Who except now inexplicably female?

I have no problem with a female in the role, but I have a problem with doing it for no other artistic reason other than to just try to be more PC. I don't know all the stuff you guys are talking about with him being some sort of shape shifting alien. I don't remember that. To me though, for a male character to all of a sudden be female, it seems there should at least be some sort of plot line explaining it. There's supergirl now. They didn't try to pretend like it's the same person as the classic superman, she's a relative, which makes sense from a plot line standpoint.

Time Lords can regenerate into any species or gender.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2867443 - 07/17/17 11:15 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: J. Dan]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
I don't know all the stuff you guys are talking about with him being some sort of shape shifting alien.

Only when he regenerates. From Wikipedia:

Doctor Who follows the adventures of the primary character, a rogue Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, who simply goes by the name "The Doctor". He fled from Gallifrey in a stolen TARDIS "Time and Relative Dimension in Space" a machine which allows him to travel anywhere in time and space. As a Time Lord, the Doctor has the ability to regenerate when his body is mortally damaged, taking on a new appearance and personality.

#2867452 - 07/17/17 11:30 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: MorayM]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: MorayM
I saw the Radiophonic Workshop play live last weekend and they were f**king incredible.

Now that's cool! Was Roger Limb with them? I met him at the BBC when I was a teenager. Very interesting guy.

Cheers Mike

#2867453 - 07/17/17 11:31 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: Synthoid]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Ah, didn't know all that. Probably never watched it long enough to see him regenerate into somebody else. So I suppose if it were the case that he regenerated, he could be a she. I don't have a problem with that.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867487 - 07/17/17 01:15 PM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: J. Dan]
StickMan393 Offline

It could have been worse... We could have had a Sontaran Doctor.

#2867488 - 07/17/17 01:32 PM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: StickMan393]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

So did they change the Tardis to pink?

[ducks]

#2867490 - 07/17/17 01:53 PM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: J. Dan]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

So the Doctor's companions are going to be nubile young men now?

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2867501 - 07/17/17 02:47 PM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: OrpheusNY]
JCRoswell Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Originally Posted By: OrpheusNY
I'm kind of amused that we're talking about a fictional alien who can regenerate from looking like Christopher Eccleston to looking like Matt Smith, and ten other actors, and yet somehow the character's gender is an unmutable constant.

My sci-fi/Dr. Who fan daughter is thrilled. Representation is a good thing, and something it can be difficult to understand the hunger for if you've already been represented, like, forever.

This I like. laugh

Also, having a daughter has made me much more sensitive to the under-representation girls/women have. I'm for it. Plus I really like Whitaker as an actor. She was outstanding in "The Assets" and "Broadchurch".

#2867504 - 07/17/17 03:14 PM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: JCRoswell]
torhu Offline

Loc: Norway
I think people need to stop thinking that everything gender related is either sexism or feminism. It doesn't have to be either. In this case, we don't know why they changed the doctor's gender. Maybe they are just looking for a way to renew the show? If it's because they want to ride the feminist wave in the media, that's risky because most people are not gender ideologues. In any case, there will always be people that don't like having something about their favorite franchise changed, doesn't mean they are now suddenly womenhaters. They could have been manhating radical feminists all along, they just don't like change.

#2867508 - 07/17/17 03:38 PM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: torhu]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I don't think it's any kind of nod to "political correctness" or anything like that. I think they simply wanted to shake things up on a series that's been around forever, whether for creative reasons, or buzz-creating marketing reasons, or some combination. (It's clearly at least working for the latter.) In the end, it will just come down as always to entertaining stories.

#2867562 - 07/18/17 01:40 AM Re: Doctor Who is now a woman? [Re: stoken6]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: stoken6
Originally Posted By: MorayM
I saw the Radiophonic Workshop play live last weekend and they were f**king incredible.

Now that's cool! Was Roger Limb with them? I met him at the BBC when I was a teenager. Very interesting guy.

Cheers Mike

He was. He came out from behind his rig to ask the crowd of mostly techno fans if they wouldn't mind settling down so he could introduce the next piece. Dude. They had Mark Ayres, Peter Howell (of 80s Doctor Who fame), Paddy Kingsland (of Hitchhiker fame) and Kieron Pepper (of, erm, The Prodigy fame) on drums. Dick Mills wasn't playing but said a few words before the last song, which was lovely.

I'll do a post about it today or tomorrow, just need to find my photos!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner