Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2866805 - 07/14/17 09:26 AM New Player in the custome cable kit business.
CEB Offline
10k Club

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

GP Island
#2866808 - 07/14/17 09:38 AM Re: New Player in the custome cable kit business. [Re: CEB]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I don't trust solderless connections. I just don't feel it's a solid, reliable electrical nor mechanical connection between parts. I just recently discovered that the George L cable, a highly touted & respected solderless cable maker, was the primary source of ground hum in my live rig.

#2866816 - 07/14/17 10:17 AM Re: New Player in the custome cable kit business. [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
I don't trust solderless connections. I just don't feel it's a solid, reliable electrical nor mechanical connection between parts. I just recently discovered that the George L cable, a highly touted & respected solderless cable maker, was the primary source of ground hum in my live rig.

Quite a while back, GP did a major Pedal issue, where they talked with Bob Bradshaw, and Pete Cornish, among others. No one on the panel gave good marks to solderless cables.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2866822 - 07/14/17 10:31 AM Re: New Player in the custome cable kit business. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I have 3 circuit breaker 15' cords by Planet Waves that are solderless. I have a friend who experienced a short on one of his and all he did was cut out a foot, slide the cord in and tighten a screw. Hasn't failed him again for a year or two. I have had mine well over 5 years and have never had a problem. If I ever do, I'll try that quick fix of his. I'm no longer using pedal boards or pedals all that much, so I just buy a patch cord if I need one...and the pre-soldered ones are the way to go IMHO. cool

#2866837 - 07/14/17 11:31 AM Re: New Player in the custome cable kit business. [Re: Larryz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I have some George L's stuff and I've had to re-seat some of the connections. I've order a 10-channel switcher was just going to order a roll of Canare wire and whole bunch of connectors and make my own. IT seems to be the most affordable and possibly the best quality way of doing it.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2866857 - 07/14/17 01:08 PM Re: New Player in the custome cable kit business. [Re: CEB]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: CEB
I have some George L's stuff and I've had to re-seat some of the connections. I've order a 10-channel switcher was just going to order a roll of Canare wire and whole bunch of connectors and make my own. IT seems to be the most affordable and possibly the best quality way of doing it.

Yup, if you're handy with a soldering iron, it's generally best to roll your own, IMO. You get exactly the lengths you need & it's WAY less expensive than store-bought ready made cables. Canare, Mogami or Gepco have been my go to cable brands, with either Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose