Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2866744 - 07/14/17 04:09 AM OT: Photo Hosting
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Hey everyone
As you may have noticed, my photo avatar has been replaced with a notice that I have to `update my account` with the photo hosting site, to allow `3rd party hosting`.
Um........
I have been using this site for years-actually I think it was our own Musicplayer classmate A String who originally suggested it.
Last year I was advised that I had reached my storage limit. I couldn`t add any more photos. I should ``ugrade my account`-translation-pay up-to get more storage. I thought, well that`s fine-I can keep things as they are for this site and use a cloud storage site for more photos.
Now this-the photos I have been posting from this site-they are MY photos-are now `3rd party hosting`. I have to `upgrade my account` to allow that.
Excuse me?
This is a plain shakedown.
I do have a lot of photos on the site-do I move them all to Google Drive and tell these guys to f**k off?

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

GP Island
#2866790 - 07/14/17 08:38 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I think you should keep all your photos on your own personal hard drives, or USB sticks. All it takes is one Martin Skreli taking over a cloud based storage service & you will be well screwed. Don't let your property out of your own control.

#2866828 - 07/14/17 10:48 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
+1 Scott, The stick is a great idea for saving photos. If you get a computer crash, you have saved all your photos. +1 Yeah Skip, they nixed my free ride on photobucket and I ain't a gonna upgrade, as I really don't use the service...hence the cow skull avatar LOL! cool

#2866829 - 07/14/17 10:49 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Scott Fraser]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That is a fact-indeed, isn`t that basically ransomware? `pay up or we will lock all your photos`.
I`m more than a little surprised to see this kind of behavior from Photobucket. Well backup is not a problem for newer photos. I lost some of the older ones in a fire a few years ago. It may be too late to save those-bummer...

#2866833 - 07/14/17 10:55 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Yeah Skip, it's a ransom ware especially at the level they wanted me to pay each month to keep the service. I went ahead and deleted my account as I have all my photos on my computer anyway...I do miss having my avatars for this site though! I noticed CEB lost his avatar too! cool

#2866861 - 07/14/17 01:25 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Larryz]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The cost of doing business. With lots of people uploading their pictures to FaceBook, or Instagram, I'm sure fewer are using PhotoBucket. Maybe a year ago they started having a lot of advertising on the site. Got to pay for it somehow. I will probably delete my account, too. For as little as I use it, it's just not worth it. Too bad these forums don't let you just upload pictures; but again, that would be an expense that we know MP just can't afford to give away.

#2866930 - 07/14/17 07:45 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Danzilla]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

I had a similar situation with Imageshack. I had a load of pictures there, including a few of a former girlfriend. One day I went to use one of those pictures, and I discovered that they were all gone. Apparently they emailed me a few months earlier, or so they said, and since I didn't pay them to keep my account going, they wiped out all my pictures.

If anyone knows of a safe place I can store pictures online, so I can post a link to them and use that link on other websites, I'd like to hear about it.

#2866938 - 07/14/17 09:22 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Sharkman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Sharkman
I had a similar situation with Imageshack. I had a load of pictures there, including a few of a former girlfriend. One day I went to use one of those pictures, and I discovered that they were all gone. Apparently they emailed me a few months earlier, or so they said, and since I didn't pay them to keep my account going, they wiped out all my pictures.
If anyone knows of a safe place I can store pictures online, so I can post a link to them and use that link on other websites, I'd like to hear about it.

An online 'cloud' or other storage should NEVER be the sole repository of any of your documents. Always have duplicates in several locations. Back up everything you ever want to see again on multiple hard drives and/or USB sticks.

#2866949 - 07/14/17 11:49 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
...and if you do, make sure you have and maintain a device capable of reading it.

I was doing a chordbook for NST on my Palm PDA- one letter at a time- during breaks while running errands and filling other small bits of otherwise down time that would normally just be wasted. And one day, I noticed my Palm was slowly losing its ability to hold a charge.

Before it finally stopped being a mobile device, I took it to Geeksquad to retrieve my chordbook- and other data it held- onto a CD-R/W. They succeeded in recovering the files, but the process had introduced some extraneous characters at random. I started unraveling the mess, but quit after a few days of frustration. Not permanently, just long enough to calm myself...

But I forgot about it, and when I DID remember it- years later- I couldn't find the recovery CD. Worse, Geeksquad can't repeat their actions: they no longer have the equipment to do so.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (07/14/17 11:53 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2867034 - 07/15/17 09:32 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think the only thing that`s stopping it from being a total K & R-kidnap and ransom-is that I am already logged in on my smartphone-I can rescue the photos to Google Drive or another storage. But I recently bought a 1 TB external hard drive. I was asking about how to set it up on FB, and a friend of mine who owns an IT-based business, was saying just put everything on Google Drive-he has something like 4 TB of storage there. I said exactly that-fine, but I`ll just use my hard drive anyway. It`s not a one or the other equation. It`s a one PLUS the other equation. Even now, I have music on casettes. I have photos on floppy discs. It`s a matter of time before even professional agencies can`t recover that data.

Edited by skipclone 1 (07/15/17 09:32 AM)

#2867048 - 07/15/17 10:12 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I've got my stuff so scattered around on 4 track cassettes, hard drives, old discs, digital expansion cards, etc., that I just forget about finding and organizing it all someday LOL! I am thinking of getting a new lap top as this one is wearing out. I did use the Geek Squad to fix a laptop and it cost me $300 bucks. When their fix failed, they wanted $99 bucks to come back, I told them forget about it, and went out and bought this Samsung that I've had over 5 years or so for less than $300. So now if I ever get a crash, I'll just buy a new lap top. Just need to get used to backing everything up and the stick is a good way to go IMHO. I'm checking out Apple too instead of a PC. By the time I actually get around to it, they'll come up with something totally different again LOL! cool

#2867100 - 07/15/17 03:02 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
I think the only thing that`s stopping it from being a total K & R-kidnap and ransom-is that I am already logged in on my smartphone-I can rescue the photos to Google Drive or another storage. But I recently bought a 1 TB external hard drive. I was asking about how to set it up on FB, and a friend of mine who owns an IT-based business, was saying just put everything on Google Drive-he has something like 4 TB of storage there. I said exactly that-fine, but I`ll just use my hard drive anyway. It`s not a one or the other equation. It`s a one PLUS the other equation. Even now, I have music on casettes. I have photos on floppy discs. It`s a matter of time before even professional agencies can`t recover that data.

Yep.

#2867146 - 07/15/17 06:33 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Since I started using USB drives, I have lost or misplaced two. That is two too many-if I read the information right, you can encrypt the data but you have to do it BEFORE storing anything.
If I ever become a millionaire, I`m fully expecting a call at 3 a.m. from someone saying, `Hi there-I have some good news for you. I found one of your USB drives....let`s talk....`

#2867160 - 07/15/17 08:05 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
That is a fact-indeed, isn`t that basically ransomware? `pay up or we will lock all your photos`.
I`m more than a little surprised to see this kind of behavior from Photobucket. Well backup is not a problem for newer photos. I lost some of the older ones in a fire a few years ago. It may be too late to save those-bummer...

You still have access to your photos, and other people can go to photobucket and see your photos. They are blocking 3rd party, meaning you can't see the photo on sites like this unless you pay up. You have to go to their site to see it.

Between that, Soundcloud about to go out of business, and my Dropbox being full, I'm just going to go back to setting up a web site again. For about $4/month, I can get unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited emails. I can just create a web folder on my computer and drag stuff into it, and voila, it's on the internet. Only catch was that somebody had snatched up my old domain name that I used to have and is trying to sell it to me for $4000.00. I'm going to offer them $50 and if they don't bite, I'll just pick a different one.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867171 - 07/15/17 08:49 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: J. Dan]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I try to sign into photobucket, and it doesn`t recognize my password. I ask to reset my password. I sign in and log off. The next time I sign in, it doesn`t recognize my password...ewww. Like I say, staying signed in is good stuff-not risk-free, but better than losing your photos. Moreover, they say you can still access your photos? not true, not on the PC I`m using. I get an `account restricted` popup.

Hang on-someone tried to sell your own domain name back to you? excuse me? how does that work, use your domain name or lose it? that`s ridiculous.

Edited by skipclone 1 (07/15/17 09:00 PM)

#2867175 - 07/15/17 09:11 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

I have been having problems in and off signing into photobucket for a year now. I haven't been on there for a while, but I remember clicking a different route to sign in got me in there. If you tried to reset your password, that might be why it's restricted. Their sight has been super flaky for me for a long time,

I let my domain lapse about a year and a half ago because I didn't think I was going to use it any more. It's one of these outfits that buys up domains as soon as they expire hoping people will pay big bucks to get them back - like if they accidentally let it expired and had a whole business based on it.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2867200 - 07/16/17 04:27 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: J. Dan]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow, that is literally ransomware.
Sorry you got caught up in that.
Even on mobile I can`t access my oldest photos.
Well that is a hard but valuable lesson.
It`s all about those three little words that mean so much.
Trust no one.

#2868468 - 07/22/17 06:46 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
BiC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Photobucket is absolutely horrendous! Pop-ups all over the place, and as slow as a snail!

#2868474 - 07/22/17 07:10 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: BiC]
BiC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The heck with photobucket. In the meantime, I'm storing my avatar here...

Click

#2869054 - 07/25/17 12:05 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: BiC]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Bizarrely, my Photobucket account seems to be partially disabled. My avatar here has been disabled, but as of this writing, my photos here & elsewhere are still up.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (07/25/17 12:23 AM)

#2869056 - 07/25/17 02:44 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Aaaand now my account is completely disabled. I'm a member of the "Photof**kit Club"!

They could have let legacy accounts continue sharing. They could have grandfathered in all photos before the changeover, so that only new uploads would be affected.

But they didn't.

#2869078 - 07/25/17 07:00 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not very helpful that our beloved forum makes it very difficult to upload a photo without a `recognized` URL.

#2869089 - 07/25/17 08:11 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: skipclone 1]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Checked some old threads- it seems utterly random now, because some photos are blocked and some aren't.

Photobucket is looking pretty incompetent right now...

#2869118 - 07/25/17 11:07 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

My Photobucket has got a hole in it LOL! I too wish this forum could let us post pictures without using a URL much like adding a photo to an email from our own files. There is probably a good reason why this concept is not available though... cool

#2869130 - 07/25/17 11:52 AM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: Larryz]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Space. They'd have to have the server space to host tens of thousands of avatars (one for every member). Have you looked at how many people are in the user list? They have the stock avatars you can use.

#2869186 - 07/25/17 05:17 PM Re: OT: Photo Hosting [Re: J. Dan]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks for the info...and yeah, I'm using a stock avatar. cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose