Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2866313 - 07/12/17 07:57 AM OT: Firefox browser so slooooow
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Anyone else experiencing crappy performance with Firefox in Windows 10? Perhaps a better name for their browser would be IceBadger. HeadPop

Here at work, I use both Chrome and Firefox every day. Chrome works great, but over the last several months I've seen constant slow downs and occasion freezing with Firefox. I tried various troubleshooting tips and then a reset. Thing is, I don't have many add ons or fancy themes... just Adblock Plus.

I finally deleted and reinstalled Firefox this morning. It's better but not as fast as it was when I first installed it on my office computer last year.

KC Island
#2866316 - 07/12/17 08:12 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
AWkeys Offline

I've noticed the same thing regarding Firefox for the last year or more. They did some update whereby they seem to cache a lot of RAM. Granted my computer is old (Windows 7) and needs replacing, but I have to reboot Firefox every so often to get it to respond normally. I do have 3-4 add-ons, but even without them it does it. I installed something called "Memory Restart" which adds a button that measures the Firefox cache. You click it when it turns red, and it reboots you back to the where you were, including all open tabs.

Meanwhile, Pale Moon is a great alternative that doesn't have this problem.

#2866317 - 07/12/17 08:13 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Do you have antivirus software monitoring activity?

In general I really hate the direction things have gone with browsers. More and more it seems like some things work well on some browsers and some on others - which completely goes against the original idea of HTML in the first place. Google wants to push you to have to use Chrome for everything if you're tied in to all of the other google services. I still use IE on windows and Safari on Mac when I can, but sometimes I have to go to chrome to get a site to work.

Haven't used firefox in quite a while, so I'm sorry I'm not much help other than I've noticed ads jacking up pages on some other browsers. Maybe your ad blocker could be running into issues?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2866323 - 07/12/17 08:34 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: J. Dan]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Do you have antivirus software monitoring activity?

Yes, I'm using Avast... but I've used it for years on various computers and never had a problem like this.

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Maybe your ad blocker could be running into issues?

I thought of that but when I disabled Adblock Plus a few days ago, Firefox was still dragging. frown

#2866326 - 07/12/17 08:43 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: J. Dan]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
This is another reason why I abandoned Windows and converted to Mac at home. MS is known to intentionally "break" competing browsers with each new release of Windows.

We are using IE 11 on Win7 at work and THAT doesn't even work reliably.

Web developers HATE IE. MS breaks HTML functionality with each new IE release and web developers have to re-code their websites to "fix" issues with IE, while not breaking it for earlier versions of IE. Often they have to provide multiple HTML versions of their websites depending on the browser, especially different versions of IE.

#2866327 - 07/12/17 08:51 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: The Real MC]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
I haven't noticed anything significant. I'm using FF w Win 10, Avast, Ad Blocker+.

#2866328 - 07/12/17 08:52 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: The Real MC]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
This is another reason why I abandoned Windows and converted to Mac at home. MS is known to intentionally "break" competing browsers with each new release of Windows.

I remember reading an article about that, but Chrome still works great. It loads quickly, zips from one site to the next and shuts down immediately with a click of the X.

With Firefox, I often go out for pizza while it's starting up. Unfortunately, I have to use both browsers at work.

taz

#2866335 - 07/12/17 09:02 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: The Real MC]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
We are using IE 11 on Win7 at work and THAT doesn't even work reliably.

Win 7 is now an antique OS and I see the same thing at my office too including FF. In an office situation, upgrading servers and peripherials to Win 10 can be expensive but at home if someone is using Windows they need to be Win 10.

To the OP, this is soooo tricky. It's something in your system and it's impossible to try to figure it out on a forum. At home I use FF and Edge on Win 10 and have not seen any hangups with either.

Our IT people at work have been telling me that if you're concerned with security Win 10 and Edge is the way to go. Much better security than other browsers. They're not saying it's the best browser as far as functions, addon's etc although it's pretty good, it's just the best for online security. This is precisly because MS is constantly sending out Win 10 updates which a lot of MS haters can't stand but as far as security is concerned those updates are important.

Bob

#2866342 - 07/12/17 09:44 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Jazzmammal]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Jazzmammal
MS is constantly sending out Win 10 updates which a lot of MS haters can't stand

I'm sure the Firefox issues started after one of those updates. Fortunately, I use Chrome 80% of the time.

But still...

#2866361 - 07/12/17 10:32 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
I have no problem with Firefox.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2866368 - 07/12/17 11:01 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: marczellm]
torhu Offline

Loc: Norway
Some issues with Firefox can only be resolved by starting with an empty profile. You can then restore your bookmarks from a backup, reinstall extensions, etc. 32-bit Firefox uses less memory than 64-bit, if that's an issue. And try uBlock Origin instead of ABP, it's less memory hungry.

#2866381 - 07/12/17 11:48 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: torhu]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
Also there is a built in feature essentially equivalent to cleaning your profile or reinstalling.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2866433 - 07/12/17 02:21 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, after a reinstall of Firefox and a Flash update, things are much better. Not as fast as Chrome, but after working with it this afternoon, I see some improvement. I hope it lasts.

Thanks for all the input. thu

#2866442 - 07/12/17 02:51 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: marczellm]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Yeah it happens to me from time to time. I put it down to Windows 10 and its constant "security update checks"....that and ISP issues.

Other days its zippy as grin

#2866445 - 07/12/17 03:09 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: miden]
Sospiri Online   happy

Loc: Crete, Greece
Try Vivaldi - from the people who originally designed Opera - it is damned fast. Yes, Firefox is getting slower. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 is not possible if you have a motherboard actually made by Intel. Intel stopped making motherboards some time ago and at the same time stopped support for all existing motherboards. Hence an attempted upgrade to Win 10 will fail at the configuration stage as Intel have not released any suitable Win 10 drivers for these boards.

#2866465 - 07/12/17 05:07 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Synthoid
Flash update
Why? Punt that crap. I've not run Adobe Flash in forever.

#2866470 - 07/12/17 05:55 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Joe, I was willing to try almost anything. It's faster now and I'm happy. cool

#2866519 - 07/12/17 10:08 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: marczellm]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
Originally Posted By: marczellm
I have no problem with Firefox.

I, too, have no problem with Firefox, but then again I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (and will continue to until I am forced at gunpoint to update to Windows 10). I use Win10 at work and still like Win7 so much better.

#2866549 - 07/13/17 05:29 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Desert Rat]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Desert Rat
I use Win10 at work and still like Win7 so much better.

Yeah, I didn't have any Firefox issues with Windows 7. idk

#2866551 - 07/13/17 05:35 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Desert Rat]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I use both Edge and FF at work. What I have noticed since the last Win 10 update is that both are fractionally slower.

There have been a slew of security updates in past 4 weeks and I suspect that this is due to MS Security Essentials, or other related processes, taking a deeper look before allowing a connection.

#2866555 - 07/13/17 05:58 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Markay]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Most websites are being "persuaded" to configure their pages to work best with Chrome. That means Firefox takes the hit. I was having issues at eBay, and their tech support now has a standard script that asks if I've tried it in Chrome. My answer is "No, and I ain't gonna." after that they have nowhere to go.

One thing I've found that works a treat is AdBlocker plus. See, all those ads DO use Flash, and as such, they eat up the resources quite quickly. ABP prevents them from loading, hence Flash is never invoked.

Also, click on Tools>Add-ons>Plugins, and for Shockwave Flash, on the right dropdown select "Ask to activate." That will shut it off on pages that still use it.

My Firefox is now humming along quite nicely.

-but because of the memory leak that's been in it from the beginning, it still has to be rebooted every now and again.

..Joe

PS: I REALLY miss Netscape!

#2866566 - 07/13/17 06:50 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the tip, Joe. I'll give it a try... anything to improve performance.

So far Firefox is running much faster today. smile

#2866572 - 07/13/17 07:45 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada

I use Firefox on my Vista laptop (I know, I know). I tried all kinds of things to improve the slowness. Eventually, I disabled "Enable Firefox Health Report" (Options, Advanced). It helped me a lot, you might try that if you haven't already. The Health Report sends performance data back to Mozilla. It would be nice to be able to do that (civic duty, blah, blah), but not if it bogs down the app.

As for the Vista laptop, I know, I gotta get something new. Microsoft support for Vista ended in April (A pretty good run - almost 11 years. Before I scrap it, I'll try installing Windows 7 on it, as I have the installation cd from when I upgraded my desktop computer (which now has Windows 10). When I buy an OS, I always like to get the full installation media instead of an OEM installation, this situation illustrates why.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for Win7 working properly on the laptop. Installing on OS on a desktop is one thing - you know what the components are, and can find the appropriate drivers to set up the machine properly - I've done it many times. But with a laptop, you're driving blind, it's much more difficult to know what the components are. But I'll give it a shot. My first attempt on a laptop, actually.

If it fails, I might try a tablet - I hear they're popular these days (smirk, smirk).

As an aside, I've never understood the hate for Vista among the hoi polloi. I think it was User Account Control that was at the heart of it. To me, UAC is an excellent security feature, and the pop-up dialogues but a minor annoyance, a small price to pay for the increased security.

Edited by Floyd Tatum (07/13/17 08:28 AM)
Edit Reason: tidying up

#2866644 - 07/13/17 11:52 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Floyd Tatum
Eventually, I disabled "Enable Firefox Health Report" (Options, Advanced). It helped me a lot, you might try that if you haven't already.

Thanks. thu

#2866652 - 07/13/17 12:23 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
mate stubb Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

[quote=Synthoid]As an aside, I've never understood the hate for Vista among the hoi polloi. I think it was User Account Control that was at the heart of it. To me, UAC is an excellent security feature, and the pop-up dialogues but a minor annoyance, a small price to pay for the increased security.

Wow, a Vista fan. You are literally the only person I have ever heard say anything nice whatsoever about it. hitt poke

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2866692 - 07/13/17 03:55 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: mate stubb]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
[quote=Synthoid]As an aside, I've never understood the hate for Vista among the hoi polloi. I think it was User Account Control that was at the heart of it. To me, UAC is an excellent security feature, and the pop-up dialogues but a minor annoyance, a small price to pay for the increased security.

Wow, a Vista fan. You are literally the only person I have ever heard say anything nice whatsoever about it. hitt poke

My head hurts! Ouch. Stop that, will 'ya? mad

smile Seriously, though, I'm not a follow-the-crowd kind of person. Vista received criticism early on, but went on to be quite successful, actually. Most of the criticism it received was because people were used to XP, and didn't like to change.

#2866708 - 07/13/17 06:19 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: In a swamp due to GPS error
Firefox for Macs pretty well zooms along for me, in part because I nix all auto-updates, period. Very helpful. Perhaps even more notable, I totally discarded Flash Player and took on a convertor that turns FP requests into HTML5, which is so stable, BBC News employs it now. Since then, I've been turned away by Flash on exactly TWO sites. There's little as refreshing as driving that stake through the vampire's heart and using his death gurgles as a ringtone. evil

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2866738 - 07/14/17 02:17 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I use Firefox on my Vista laptop (I know, I know). I tried all kinds of things to improve the slowness. Eventually, I disabled "Enable Firefox Health Report" (Options, Advanced). It helped me a lot, you might try that if you haven't already. The Health Report sends performance data back to Mozilla. It would be nice to be able to do that (civic duty, blah, blah), but not if it bogs down the app.

As for the Vista laptop, I know, I gotta get something new. Microsoft support for Vista ended in April (A pretty good run - almost 11 years. Before I scrap it, I'll try installing Windows 7 on it, as I have the installation cd from when I upgraded my desktop computer (which now has Windows 10). When I buy an OS, I always like to get the full installation media instead of an OEM installation, this situation illustrates why.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for Win7 working properly on the laptop. Installing on OS on a desktop is one thing - you know what the components are, and can find the appropriate drivers to set up the machine properly - I've done it many times. But with a laptop, you're driving blind, it's much more difficult to know what the components are. But I'll give it a shot. My first attempt on a laptop, actually.

If it fails, I might try a tablet - I hear they're popular these days (smirk, smirk).

As an aside, I've never understood the hate for Vista among the hoi polloi. I think it was User Account Control that was at the heart of it. To me, UAC is an excellent security feature, and the pop-up dialogues but a minor annoyance, a small price to pay for the increased security.

Well there had to one person for whom Vista ran smoothly and now we know who it was.

I don't think you will have any issues upgrading from Vista to Win 7 as Vista was so short lived MS included drivers for all Vista supported hardware assuming everyone would migrate to Win 7 and never mention Vista again.

I recall at work we got a Dell laptop that came new with Vista installed. It would randomly display a BSOD, remember those?, even when the only thing running was the then current version of MS office.

Installed Win 7 and ran smoothly for many years.

#2866749 - 07/14/17 04:55 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES

Control Panel> Device Manager. Look at all the drivers, and download them from the manufacturer (if they don't exist on CD or on your computer.) Regardless of where you have them, stick them in the root directory on a Flash Drive. Install the OS normally, and when it starts looking for drivers, just point it to the Flash Drive, and everything will install normally.

Too many friends have tried updating their computer - which formats the disk and wipes out the partition that holds the OS - and then come to the computer engineer to fix what they screwed up, so I've used this method, oh, 18-20 times and it works a treat.

..Joe

#2866775 - 07/14/17 07:02 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: joegerardi]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: joegerardi
Control Panel> Device Manager. Look at all the drivers, and download them from the manufacturer (if they don't exist on CD or on your computer.) Regardless of where you have them, stick them in the root directory on a Flash Drive. Install the OS normally, and when it starts looking for drivers, just point it to the Flash Drive, and everything will install normally.

Too many friends have tried updating their computer - which formats the disk and wipes out the partition that holds the OS - and then come to the computer engineer to fix what they screwed up, so I've used this method, oh, 18-20 times and it works a treat.

..Joe

Thanks, Joe. Yes, I was planning to approach it that way, getting as much info as possible from Device Manager. It's good to know that that method has worked for you many times. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner