Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2866778 - 07/14/17 07:24 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Markay]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Markay
Well there had to one person for whom Vista ran smoothly and now we know who it was.

I don't think you will have any issues upgrading from Vista to Win 7 as Vista was so short lived MS included drivers for all Vista supported hardware assuming everyone would migrate to Win 7 and never mention Vista again.

I recall at work we got a Dell laptop that came new with Vista installed. It would randomly display a BSOD, remember those?, even when the only thing running was the then current version of MS office.

Installed Win 7 and ran smoothly for many years.

Eleven years is short lived? smile No, actually, I know what you mean. But don't forget that Vista was the basis for Windows 7 and Windows 10, just saying.

My laptop is an HP Pavillion. My wife got it in 2009, I inherited it when she passed on in 2010. It's performed well, I think. Glad to hear that you successfully installed Windows 7 on that Dell laptop - thanks.

Maybe I'll end up getting a few more years out of this thing. The laptop that wouldn't die....

Sorry to OP for veering off-topic.

KC Island
#2866780 - 07/14/17 07:44 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Floyd Tatum
Maybe I'll end up getting a few more years out of this thing. The laptop that wouldn't die....

I still have an XP laptop that's about 14 years old now. It's a massive 17" Toshiba--built like a tank with 3 cooling fans in it. Still working, although the power supply flakes out all the time.

#2866804 - 07/14/17 09:25 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
You mean my windows 3.1 laptop is out of date?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2866806 - 07/14/17 09:29 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
Bill H. Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
I haven't had Firefox run any slower than it usually does on the two laptops I have it installed on.

I recently impulsively (well for me anyway) picked up a new laptop with 16GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD they had on closeout while shopping at Costco. This is the first computer in years that I probably won't install Firefox with Adblock. Everything loads instantaneously in Edge - ads and all - and honestly it's becoming more frustrating being denied access to sites with Adblock enabled than it is to view the ads themselves.

#2866851 - 07/14/17 12:36 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
[quote=Synthoid]As an aside, I've never understood the hate for Vista among the hoi polloi. I think it was User Account Control that was at the heart of it. To me, UAC is an excellent security feature, and the pop-up dialogues but a minor annoyance, a small price to pay for the increased security.

Wow, a Vista fan. You are literally the only person I have ever heard say anything nice whatsoever about it. hitt poke

My head hurts! Ouch. Stop that, will 'ya? mad

smile Seriously, though, I'm not a follow-the-crowd kind of person. Vista received criticism early on, but went on to be quite successful, actually. Most of the criticism it received was because people were used to XP, and didn't like to change.

When "change" is defined as completely replacing your computer and all your peripherals because the MB and legacy drivers no longer work, you wouldn't find very many fans of Vista. That was my impetus for jumping ship to OSX.

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
You mean my windows 3.1 laptop is out of date?

Hell no. My MIDI computer in my studio still runs flawlessly on WFW311. With a crank on the side.

OK I'll admit I'm kidding about the crank.

#2866963 - 07/15/17 04:45 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Floyd Tatum]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
But don't forget that Vista was the basis for Windows 7 and Windows 10, just saying.

Actually... not quite. Vista was supposed to be what Win 7 is, but MS was late getting it all ready for release, Apple had announced a new OS, so they cobbled together what they had and released it as Vista... Which is also the reason there were so many problems with it.

And also the reason that 7 was such a hit- they got to finish it.

..Joe

#2866965 - 07/15/17 05:07 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: joegerardi]
dreamer65 Offline

Easy. Use the browser web developers love. Everybody programs for himself not for others. Hard lesson learned being 20 years in that business.

#2867009 - 07/15/17 08:37 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: dreamer65]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Vista was originally underspeced by Microsoft in terms of hardware requirements, which resulted in some drastically slow systems being sold. Now, Vista IS stable on decent hardware.

However, as joegeraldi mentioned - Vista was pushed out before it was really ready. Lots of things were improved by 7. Apparently there are a multitude of coding areas that really were not optimized for running speed.

For a while, I had one computer with quad core processor, 4G RAM, high quality components - which I installed a removable hard drive system. I had three separate HDs, one with XP, one with Vista, and one with 7; and all had similar applications loaded.

The Vista machine operated at about a third of the speed of the XP and W7 machines - running on the same (adequate) hardware.
Jim

#2867013 - 07/15/17 08:44 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
FWIW, I've had to head back into MS web dev this year - IE still sucks, but Edge is not awful. I've actually had more issues with Firefox than Edge, but I'm doing a lot of SVG which is atypical web crap.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2867097 - 07/15/17 02:41 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: WesG]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
I do a lot of newspaper reading online and found that the privacy-protecting Tor Browser is incredibly fast at scrolling down pages, since it basically blocks everything except content. It also blocks a lot of photos, increasing the speed.

Otherwise I use Opera & Chrome. Firefox had become slow and finicky.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2867451 - 07/17/17 11:30 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthaholic]
dje31 Offline

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I learned a trick a while back that helps when Firefox starts bogging down:

From toolbar, Help --> Troubleshooting Information --> Give Firefox a tune up [ Refresh Firefox... ]

You may have to log back into websites, but it will retain your username & password. You'll also have to restore the toolbars, etc., but it should behave much better.

See if this doesn't help.

Edited by dje31 (07/17/17 12:30 PM)

#2867457 - 07/17/17 11:48 AM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: Synthoid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Tried that... no help. That's why I did a delete/reinstall last week.

It's fast now. w00t

#2867464 - 07/17/17 12:02 PM Re: OT: Firefox browser so slooooow [Re: marczellm]
jeffnkrn Offline

Get Pale Moon, lighter, faster, supported and looks runs like Firefox. I have been using it for years since switching from Firefox. No complains and much faster.

https://www.palemoon.org/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner