Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2867512 - 07/17/17 03:43 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Music Bird]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
I am still using the base acoustic piano patch in my Roland XV-5050 for basic chucka-chucka acoustic piano sounds, in songs like "China Grove" and "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" (Gladys). Our covers band uses 6 people in most songs, so the AP sound needs to fit into a slice and get heard. I have a Nord Electro 3, and the Royal Grand is very nice even in mono for solo pieces but I have not figured out how to make it cut in a 6 person covers band. I loaded the Amber Upright "L" into the Nord and tweaked the EQ to prep for a gig last Saturday Night. 30 seconds into "China Grove", I was not sure it was creating the right sound, but before I changed anything my son told to switch back to the XV-5050, and I did so in the middle of the song.

Of course, this XV-5050 AP patch sounds pretty crappy by itself. My next try will probably be to reload the Royal Grand and try more EQ settings. To answer a likely next likely question for some of you, I'm feeding this into an EV zxa1.

KC Island
#2867514 - 07/17/17 04:12 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Music Bird]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Music Bird
The JV-2080. I doubt there are many hardware synths today that can load 4 extra banks.

I think the question would be more one of whether there are sounds that you find exceptional in there, as opposed to "how many banks" which is kind of arbitrary. I mean, even with the extra expansions filled up, it's still less total wave ROM than what already comes stock in a MOXF. Still, the JV sound set seems to have held up pretty well... I think everything in the 2080 was in the 5080, which still provides the base sound set for the FA.

#2867556 - 07/17/17 10:21 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Darcity]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
this is so yummi more please smile

#2867596 - 07/18/17 06:50 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Music Bird]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Music Bird
The JV-2080. I doubt there are many hardware synths today that can load 4 extra banks.

The Proteus 2000 series had a total of 4 banks, so it's close. Get a bog-standard P2000, and you could add say, the B3 module, the Vintage module, and the Orchestral module along with the included Composer module, and then you have a real beast of a Pro2000.

Grab the Perfect Piano module and swap it in there for when you need more pianos, and it's pretty much got everything. And they're all E-Mu samples.

Oh, another great ROM is the Protozoa- it's the original Proteus 1, 2, and 3's ROMs all on one module, so you get the best of both worlds sticking that one in.

..Joe

#2867821 - 07/19/17 08:17 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: joegerardi]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
No mention of Alesis in this thread.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2867828 - 07/19/17 08:34 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Ensenada Guide]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I know there are some great patches on the QS series synths, but all I have here is an Alesis Ion. Nothing that really stands out as unique.

#2867846 - 07/19/17 09:36 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Synthaholic]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

They had some QS sounds sampled from Keith Emerson's instruments, those might still be considered unique and unsurpassed today, for what they are.

#2867866 - 07/19/17 11:04 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: AnotherScott]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Well I just picked up 2 Roland 3080's for a song on ebay for my 80's project...one for gigging, one for the rehearsal space...both came with various cards installed...they are pretty chock-full-of-sounds.

Unfortunately my Nord Electro 5d (not a good controller at all) and my MIDI rig routing hit a snag (which I solved) and number of items to carry practicality wall, just to much gear for me right now to carry and manage! So there they sit in my racks in the basement for the time being...

think I'm gonna hold on to them though...

though the Nord 'sample player' is actually very good sonically
on some sounds there is less punch and presence so I was hoping to MIDI then up to the 5d but it wasn't a straightforward MIDI routing to them because of the way my rig is configured and the 5d's limitations of not storing external Patch and Band parms..

Edited by Legatoboy (07/19/17 11:24 AM)

#2867905 - 07/19/17 02:24 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Legatoboy]
dje31 Offline

re: Michael Iceberg and the Iceberg Machine at Disney World...man, that's a memory stain of mine I haven't thought of in a long time.

Dayum, I'm old.

#2867971 - 07/20/17 02:46 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: dje31]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
I still love my 5080. Only got a handful of cards and don't use it much, but it's instantly space opera soundtrack when I do, and for that it's worth it!

#2867976 - 07/20/17 05:14 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Synthaholic]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

The Alesis didn't stand out in any one area, but it pretty much did everything well. Its lack of a resonant filter was its biggest drawback, but to counter that, they sampled synth sounds with resonance to get the effect.

A QSR is a requirement in my rack, much like my Triton rack: I don't use them all the time, but when I want a certain sound, I know it's there, and will fit well in the mix.

That said, the Alesis' were good for what they were, but there's no part of them "without equal."

..Joe

#2868613 - 07/22/17 04:19 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: joegerardi]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: America
I said the JV-2080 because it has a lot of good patches, that are still used today. Especially in stuff like video games and anime music, where it is as equally as popular as the SC-55 and SC-88. The specific patches that are good include the many synth leads and basses, and the Sound Canvas still works for many genres, it's super underrated.
iPad with synth apps

#2868637 - 07/22/17 07:32 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: joegerardi]
HSS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Las Vegas NV
+1 for the old QSR's. They were very competent meat and potatoes romplers back in the mid to late 90's. They were tough and reliable as well. I abused a QS6 for several years back then and never had problem with it. I still have a Nanosynth buried somewhere in my closet.

I'd like to give a shout out for the Ensoniq MR76 which was also a very good rompler for its day back in the late 90's, although the board was a beast to transport. I sold the MR76 board and but kept the rack version until a couple of years ago.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner