Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2866173 - 07/11/17 12:48 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Darcity]
Stokely Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
EMU Proteus--the original one at least, not sure about the later ones--had the extremely handy feature of letting the extra outputs double as inputs. Basically it was a built-in line mixer without any controls (iirc, perhaps there was something internal you could set, though I don't think so). My live rig as a Roland JX-10 with outputs and midi going to the Proteus!

I know that's been done a few times, but it's such a nice feature that I wish it was more common. I use a submixer and never need to EQ...I set things up at unity and use each synth's output to match.

KC Island
#2866194 - 07/11/17 01:57 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: joegerardi]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Aha do you kniw where one could get hold of that sample
?

Originally Posted By: joegerardi
Originally Posted By: fjzingo
Many sound on the Wavestation for sure, then there was this fairlight or was it synclavier flute from the 80s which everyone use, you know the one in sledgehammer....

That was an Emulator (II or III, I can't remember) Shakuhachi sample.

..Joe

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2866249 - 07/11/17 10:49 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Darcity]
seanl Offline

Just curious as to why someone would call a Wavestation a Rompler. Isn't it a synth in and of itself?

Back to topic... I think the EMU 2000's are fantastic Romplers.

#2866254 - 07/11/17 11:25 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: seanl]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

If we call a synth using snippets of samples in rom as the waveform a rompler, then wavestation must be the utter rompler where you can staple these snippets after each other.

How about yamaha sy22, never tried that synth, wasn't that somewhat similar in architecture as the wavestation?

Originally Posted By: seanl

Just curious as to why someone would call a Wavestation a Rompler. Isn't it a synth in and of itself?

Back to topic... I think the EMU 2000's are fantastic Romplers.

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2866255 - 07/12/17 12:08 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: BuckW]
I-missRichardTee Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: BuckW
Every keyboard has at least a few good to great sounds as well as a plethora of useless junk. But then of course one man's meat is another man's poison.

Now just you wait a minute
One man's food is another man's potatoes. and meat and potatoes is a perfectly good thing esp for a lounge keyboard sot like me.
Why would I choose to drink poison, old Socrates didnt fair well with it.
If you want to eat or drink poison or eat a potato that's you business
Me? I am minding my p's and cues.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (07/12/17 12:09 AM)

#2866257 - 07/12/17 12:56 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: CEB]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: CEB
I would like to go back in time and hear the 360 System keyboard. I was absolutely blown away when I first heard it but that was a hell of a longtime ago. I wonder how the sound set has held up...... probably not so good.

Go find a vid of Michael Iceberg's "Iceberg Machine" - I believe he was using the 360 Systems machine in his huge rig back in the days of his Tomorrowland shows @ Disneyland.

#2866258 - 07/12/17 01:06 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: fjzingo]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
?

Many sound on the Wavestation for sure, then there was this fairlight or was it synclavier flute from the 80s which everyone use, you know the one in sledgehammer....

..Joe

I sampled the CD like

Edited by Losendoskeys (07/12/17 01:06 AM)

#2866285 - 07/12/17 06:29 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: I-missRichardTee]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
Every keyboard has at least a few good to great sounds as well as a plethora of useless junk. But then of course one man's meat is another man's poison.

One man's food is another man's potatoes. and meat and potatoes is a perfectly good thing esp for a lounge keyboard sot like me.

Tell me about it. I don't think the Yamaha TX81Z was very well thought of. I had one and liked it. They got dirt cheap and I bought another. Two together are a synergy. You can set them to receive on the same MIDI channel and globally detune them and create some monster FM leads and basses. They were MIDI channel 7 on my rig for years.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2866287 - 07/12/17 06:37 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: fjzingo]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
?

EVERYONE had a shakuhachi in the 80's. I used the Korg M1 sound, and with very little tweaking (it was WAY too wet) it was just what I needed.

I believe that it's still in the General MIDI soundset, and they're not bad, usually.

If you're the patient type, you could probably find it on the Synthmania site.

..Joe

#2866290 - 07/12/17 06:41 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: seanl]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: seanl

It's only kinda A ROMpler. technically, it's a Wavetable synth, a la the PPG 2.3, the Prophet VS, the Ensoniq SQ synths, the Kawai K1, et al. It uses cycles of samples sounds as waveforms. However, people wanted ROMplers, back then, so they created the Wavestion EX, which indeed had full sample-based sounds and programs available.

..Joe

#2866298 - 07/12/17 07:23 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: fjzingo]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
If we call a synth using snippets of samples in rom as the waveform a rompler, then wavestation must be the utter rompler where you can staple these snippets after each other.

Great sounds but a bear to program. I have the software version which is easier to work with, but still challenging.

#2866365 - 07/12/17 10:51 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: fjzingo]
Lee T Offline

Loc: North West UK
?

..Joe

I've got it on an EII CD for my E4 Ultra. Also converted it to Kontakt and EXS so if you want it, give me a shout. Same CD also has the marcato strings and trumpet used on Pet Shop Boys West End Girls.

Edited by Lee T (07/12/17 10:53 AM)

#2866397 - 07/12/17 12:30 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Lee T]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
If I recall right (never owned one), the D-50 had short (small memory footprint) sampled attacks only, onto which were grafted standard subtractive-synthesis waves for the sustaining portion.

The D-50's most famous sound was "digital native dance," which was a series of attack transients that were adjacent in memory, in which an early programming error had left out the "last memory address" parameter. When the folks at Roland heard it, it was so cute that they kept it and added a loop parameter to it.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61, Boss RT-20

#2866420 - 07/12/17 01:55 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Lee T]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

Pm sent

Originally Posted By: Lee T
?

[quote=fjzingo]Many sound on the Wavestation for sure, then there was this fairlight or was it synclavier flute from the 80s which everyone use, you know the one in sledgehammer....

..Joe

I've got it on an EII CD for my E4 Ultra. Also converted it to Kontakt and EXS so if you want it, give me a shout. Same CD also has the marcato strings and trumpet used on Pet Shop Boys West End Girls.
[/quote]

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2866424 - 07/12/17 02:06 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Synthoid]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

The wavestation was for many years the only synth I had, with the m1 pianocard for pianoduties.

I Got pretty good at mimicking other synths on it+ make cool sounds. Unfortunately alll gone.....there was also a list kind of function I used as set list.

bought the ipad app out of nostalgia, but so deeply into analog synthesis now.

Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Great sounds but a bear to program. I have the software version which is easier to work with, but still challenging.

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2866431 - 07/12/17 02:13 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: joegerardi]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

Cool site!

?

EVERYONE had a shakuhachi in the 80's. I used the Korg M1 sound, and with very little tweaking (it was WAY too wet) it was just what I needed.

I believe that it's still in the General MIDI soundset, and they're not bad, usually.

If you're the patient type, you could probably find it on the Synthmania site.

..Joe

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2866473 - 07/12/17 06:23 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: eric]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: eric
I think the Sweet Flute on the Yamaha Motif series (as well as S90 etc.) is pretty darn awesome, particularly the flutter effects that can be applied in different variations.

Agreed!! Always gets a great response!

#2866504 - 07/12/17 09:02 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: KeyMoe]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
This may be cheating, but the Roland GS sound set. Everybody has a GM bank of shitty generic sounds. If you knew what you were doing, you could really coax excellent sequences out of that GS sound set. I had sequences that sounded awesome on a JV-30, SC-55, SC-88, didn't matter. Those sounds I thought were the best generic bread and butter sounds for that sort of thing - yeah, not the best piano, not the best organ, etc...but for the time, you could do just about anything with that sound set and the GS format meant you could manipulate to your heart's content. I did a sequence of NIN "Closer" on a GS soundset that sounded spot on (with a hell of a lot of streaming of NRPN's, like sweeping that filter frequency)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2866556 - 07/13/17 06:08 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: J. Dan]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Agreed. I Have the Roland M-GS64, and I have no embarrassment stating I like the sounds on it.

..Joe

#2866563 - 07/13/17 06:37 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: CEB]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee

Tell me about it. I don't think the Yamaha TX81Z was very well thought of. I had one and liked it. They got dirt cheap and I bought another. Two together are a synergy. You can set them to receive on the same MIDI channel and globally detune them and create some monster FM leads and basses. They were MIDI channel 7 on my rig for years.

Still got mine like

#2866636 - 07/13/17 11:23 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Losendoskeys]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
I loved the joystick on my triton. Better then the one on the Kronos actually.

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2866643 - 07/13/17 11:50 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: RudyS]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: RudyS

Agreed, except currently the one on my old Triton Pro sticks in the bend up position. Could probably be fixed if I opened it up.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2866648 - 07/13/17 12:11 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: J. Dan]
The Real MC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
My Kurzweil 1000 series romplers (PX, HX, SX, GX) are still delivering the goods since the late 1980s. They may lack modern features such as digital FX and analog filters, but the raw sounds are so good that I have no compelling reason to replace them. Plus their MIDI implementation is very comprehensive.

#2866677 - 07/13/17 02:28 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: J. Dan]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Originally Posted By: RudyS

Agreed, except currently the one on my old Triton Pro sticks in the bend up position. Could probably be fixed if I opened it up.

I had some probleem with it as well after a few years. The spring was not properly kept in place. It was an easy fix.

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2866724 - 07/13/17 08:34 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: RudyS]
Michael W Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, IL
I got an original Motif back around 15 - 16 years ago. Many of those sounds were/are so good that they're still with us in the Montage.

As others have mentioned, Sweet Flute comes to mind, and I have always liked the Slow Jam organ patch. The Motif's ability to bring the Leslie effect in and out with the mod wheel has always worked well for me.

Slow Jam may not be the world's greatest Hammond simulation, but it works really damn well across most styles and just sounds damn nice in the proverbial mix.

#2866756 - 07/14/17 05:29 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Michael W]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: keybdwizrd
I got an original Motif back around 15 - 16 years ago. Many of those sounds were/are so good that they're still with us in the Montage.

As others have mentioned, Sweet Flute comes to mind, and I have always liked the Slow Jam organ patch.

Yeah, Yamaha has some of the best acoustic instrument sampled, and sweet flute is a classic that still hasn't been matched in anyone else's boards. But for a rompler organ, my favorite is the Tube Organ patch in the Yamaha S30/S80. It's not available in the later Yamahas (i.e. in Motif series). I tried to recreate it on my MOX, but even though you could basically get the same waves out of it, there seemed to be no "tube overdrive" effect in the Motif environment that was nearly as good as the one in the S30/S80.

#2866774 - 07/14/17 06:58 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: AnotherScott]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

On that subject the Oboe sound which is standard on the XP30 is THE best I have ever heard, no competition even now.

#2866779 - 07/14/17 07:28 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Losendoskeys]
rod76 Offline
Gold Member

Except maybe the Oboe found in the E-mu Proteus 2. smile

#2866782 - 07/14/17 07:47 AM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Ensenada Guide]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I seem to recall my ESQ-1 had a tasty oboe patch as well.

#2866884 - 07/14/17 02:51 PM Re: Rompler that still nobody has equal its________ to date? [Re: Synthoid]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: America
The JV-2080. I doubt there are many hardware synths today that can load 4 extra banks.
iPad with synth apps

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner